Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Article] Unlocking Legacy — A Metagame Update

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Re: [Article] Unlocking Legacy — A Metagame Update

Quote Originally Posted by Silverdragon View Post
    (he could have mentioned Fairie Stompy).
    Quote Originally Posted by Hoojo
    Yeah, Faerie Stompy is the only omission I noticed
    The only omission?

Quote Originally Posted by Whit3 Ghost
    Survival/Enchantress could've deserved a mention.
    It's been done.

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo
    Since there are four writers on this column, we have to be careful not to step on each other's toes. For instance, I covered Faerie Stompy, HanniFish and B/W Confidant two articles ago and IGGy Pop, BHWC Landstill and (mono-White) Angel Stompy in my last article.
    You know, there is that one deck I made, which has the distinct quality of having never been written about.

Just sayin'.

edit: Before people start flaming, I realize that it has yet to put up any great tournament results. This is because all the good legacy tourneys are on the east coast, and it was invented on the west coast. So pick the damn thing up why don't ya?
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

So, I think I hit the major metagame changes pretty well. Landstill and Angel Stompy were there, but Enchantress and 9-color Zoo performed better. And, obviously Red Death and Epic Storm. The only completely missing thing was Terrageddon, which I said I didn't expect players to play but I am still surprised people haven't tried it out.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    So, I think I hit the major metagame changes pretty well. Landstill and Angel Stompy were there, but Enchantress and 9-color Zoo performed better. And, obviously Red Death and Epic Storm. The only completely missing thing was Terrageddon, which I said I didn't expect players to play but I am still surprised people haven't tried it out.
    . You're right, though. It's technically not part of any metagame, so it probably shouldn't be in the article anyway.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

I dunno, Pinder. I think it's fair to say that people were playing Slivers before your thread.

Liked the article. Good analysis.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo
    Writing Skills

...use coherent grammar and sentence structure; and spell your words correctly. Simple enough.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by CleverPetriDish View Post
    I dunno, Pinder. I think it's fair to say that people were playing Slivers before your thread.

Liked the article. Good analysis.
    Not only have people been playing Slivers before...your deck, while cool & developing nicely, hasn't done a damn thing yet. How can you talk about the format and discuss decks that haven't been in the pool yet? An article on some unplayed & developing creations (cough Meathooks cough) would be a great read & the perfect place to appease Pinder....
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

TES... janky?

no.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    The wonders of the information age: the pressure of two small plastic keys can convincingly emulate a savant's memorization ability.
    "It's like Time Walk and Stone Rain had sex (and Lava Dart watched)" - Pinder, on stifled fetchlands.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Quote Originally Posted by blitz View Post
    TES... janky?

no.
    You do realize the single most active person in making TES was making fun of it right? That was the joke. I just don't like combo decks because I always lose with them. Combo decks don't like me.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    I just don't like combo decks because I always lose with them. Combo decks don't like me.
    I hear you dude. Is there an answer to TES? Without being able to go workshop->trinisphere, I see alot of problems with this newest gem to the metagame. Goblins can't deal with ten tokens before they even have a land. Solidarity is becoming almost obsolete (maybe I'm just biased - I'm 4-0 against it with Enchantress). I think that TES is gonna shake up the game pretty nicely, but I'm not sure that I want it to.
    Last edited by Zach Tartell; 03-06-2007 at 02:33 PM. Reason: grammar FTW
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Chalice is still a fine answer, along with means to kill the tokens (Plagues, Sharpshooters, Engineered Explosives, Moats, etc. come to mind) or just Stifling the Warrens/Tendrils. In our testing so far, Faerie Stompy for one has had a very good MU against TES. That Tog-deck seems to do the trick too, and you can't forget MWC beating TES at GAGG.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Well, I can't speak for the times when they beat you without a land, but Sphere of Resistance (we are using it in Death and Taxes) hits 'em pretty hard. Follow that up with some Glowriders and that's that. The nice part about these suckers is that they are useful against every combo deck, and a lot of control as well.

Oh, and I might consider the Tivadar's Crusades anti-TES tech ;)

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by scrumdogg View Post
    Not only have people been playing Slivers before...your deck, while cool & developing nicely, hasn't done a damn thing yet. How can you talk about the format and discuss decks that haven't been in the pool yet? An article on some unplayed & developing creations (cough Meathooks cough) would be a great read & the perfect place to appease Pinder....
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder
    You're right, though. It's technically not part of any metagame, so it probably shouldn't be in the article anyway.
    That was what I was getting at with that last comment.I'm just frustrated, despite the relatively high success myself and others in the west have had with it, there's no major Legacy over here, so there's no way it can put up numbers despite being, IMO, at least Tier 1.5. And the GP is so far away. I guess I'm worried that people will equate a lack of results with a bad deck, which is certainly not the case.

But mostly I'm just whining. A lot. I certainly don't deserve any more special attention than anyone else, so just ignore all of what I said earlier. I've come to my senses.

</hijack>

You can all go back to discussing the article now. It was really good.
    -Slay

Bryant Cook

Right now TES has David Gearhart syndrome, not that it won't go away but for now it has it. TES has too many inexperienced players picking up the deck in a matter of 1-2 weeks. I'm not saying that I'm the only solid TES player but those other people who do know how to play the deck correctly, opt not to play it. Time after time I watch people make play mistakes or are unaware that they are able to go off its ridiculous. Niknight day 1 was playing TES, drew the turn two win and passed the turn. I'm not saying I don't make mistakes, I made one in top 4 versus Dave Price but people need to spend more time learning the deck before playing it at events.

Thread Information