Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 1st place TMLO2 Day 1: The EPIC Storm

1st place TMLO2 Day 1: The EPIC Storm

Like many of my tournament reports it’s 5:45 AM and my alarm is going off, I wake up and stumble out of bed to have my mom say “Two hour delay”. Now in my book two hour delay means snow day, she also said “Happy birthday”. I stumble back into bed and cover up. [Four hours and some change later…] I’m awake again and psyched for Connecticut, I decide I have to do something for this event so I write Wastedlife and EPIC in huge letters in my play mat. Before I know it, it’s almost time to go and friends and teammates are wishing me luck. Matt (Bigbear), Zack (LonelyBaritone), and Jim (Jim) pick me up and we’re off. The car ride on the way to Albany consisted of every joke you’ve ever heard of and some you haven’t.
    We had to stop in Albany to pick up Shane, because of this we had to drive through the horrible state of Massachusetts. I know, I know, what were we thinking. The roads were slippery, there was so much fog you shouldn’t see three feet infront of you and Bane of the Living lives there. Those are three great reasons to never return to that state. We arrive at the hotel after a few bad directions, but nonetheless we’re there at the tournament site in the morning and ready to go.
    The EPIC Storm

Lands
    4 City of Brass
    4 Gemstone Mine
    2 Undiscovered Paradise
    1 Tomb of Urami

Creatures
    4 Xantid Swarm

Spells
    4 Lion's Eye Diamond
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Chrome Mox
    1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    4 Burning Wish
    2 Tendrils of Agony
    4 Dark Ritual
    3 Cabal Ritual
    4 Infernal Tutor
    4 Plunge into Darkness
    1 Diminishing Returns
    4 Rite of Flame
    2 Empty the Warrens
    4 Brainstorm

Sideboard
    SB: 1 Ill-Gotten Gains
    SB: 1 Tendrils of Agony
    SB: 1 Diminishing Returns
    SB: 1 Empty the Warrens
    SB: 1 Tranquility
    SB: 1 Shattering Spree
    SB: 4 Dark Confidant
    SB: 1 Earthquake
    SB: 1 Duress
    SB: 2 Defense Grid
    SB: 1 Meltdown

Round one: Matt McNally (Unregged) (Solidarity)

Game one: He let’s me know that he knows who I am and what I’m playing, I’m like “Yeah, I’m kind of a big deal” sarcastically. Matt wins the die roll and we’re off! He plays Island, go. I play City of brass, Chrome Mox (Removing: Tendrils of Agony), Burning Wish -> Empty the Warrens. He plays Island, go. I’m thinkin’ BBS? I draw a Brainstorm and draw into more artifact mana putting 2x Chrome Mox on top. I play an Undiscovered Paradise, Rite of Flame gets remanded. I play Lotus Petal, Rite of flame off of Petal, Lotus Petal, and Chrome Mox, Empty the Warrens for 16. My opponent draws, and picks up his land.
    Sideboarding: - 1 Diminishing Returns, -1 Cabal Ritual, + 2 Defense Grid.

Game two: I’m on the draw and my opening hand is City of Brass, LED, LED, Burning Wish, Infernal Tutor, Chrome Mox, and Gemstone Mine. I draw for the turn and it’s Xantid Swarm. I cast Swarm and it resolves I pass, he plays land, go. I draw another Xantid Swarm; I enter my beat down mode then proceed to combo out using multiple Ill-Gotten Gains.
    2-0
    1-0

Round two: Steve Talbot (Unregged) (Goblins)

Game one: I win the die roll; I slowly look at my hand revealing one card at a time. LED, Dark Ritual, LED, Lotus Petal, Cabal Ritual, Infernal Tutor, Gemstone Mine. I look at my hand in and think, “Force would suck” however, I was sitting next to this kid round one. I knew he was playing Goblins; I then proceeded to not let him have a turn one. Gemstone Mine, Dark Ritual, Cabal Ritual, (BBBB) Lotus Petal, 2x LED, then Infernal Tutor for Ill-Gotten Gains. Gains-ing back LEDx2 and Tutor, casting, popping finding Tendrils.
    Sideboarding: -4 Xantid Swarm, + 3 Dark Confidant, +1 Meltdown

Game two: I keep a hand of Brainstorm x2, Gemstone Mine, 2x Infernal Tutor, Plunge into Darkness and Chrome Mox. He plays first turn Port, Chalice pass. OUCH! Well expected though, I Brainstorm into nothing. Two turns later, I brainstorm into nothing again. I scoop to 2x Goblin piledriver.

Game three: I start out with my favorite play, land, main phase Brainstorm. After my Brainstorm resolves my hand is 2x LED, Petal, Burning Wish, Infernal, and Land. He plays lackey, go. I then play land, kill you. Read game one, I did the same thing.
    4-1
    2-0

Round three: Alix Hatfield (Obfuscate Freely) (Aluren)
    Now let me warn you, Alix cheats. If he didn’t cheat I would’ve done, but due to him being a conformist and getting aid from the French I lost.

Game one: I don’t remember much about this game, all I have on this is a few words I wrote down. He double Cabal Therapies me, I play a Xantid Swarm, and it doesn’t matter he plays Aluren and goes nuts. Cheater.
    Sideboarding- 3 Cabal Ritual, -3 Plunge into Darkness, +4 Dark Confidant, +2 Defense Grid.

Game two: I look at my opening hand 2x Chrome Mox, LED, Rite of Flame, Dark Confidant, Burning Wish, and Infernal Tutor. Alix Mulligans a lot, he mulliganed game one into a Force. So I thought he must’ve mulled into Force again. Then I said, “Fuck it, if I lose I lose.” 2x Mox (Removing: Dark Confidant + Burning Wish), Rite of Flame, Lion’s eye Diamond, Infernal Tutor. Popping LED for UUU then casting Empty the Warrens for 12. Alix Scoops sometime soon.

Game three: This is where Alix’s cheatery shines the most, I mean god. He starts out with a third Mulligan. I’ve yet to mulligan this tournament. This game is dragged out he forces me to fizzle at least once and stops a few attempts to win with protection. He therapies/duress’ me 5 times in the first 5 turns. We’re both in top deck mode in the mid-game and he mizes Brainstorm, into Raven, Raven into Raven, Raven into Raven into Brainstorm, he Brainstorms into Harpy.
    5-3
    2-1

Round four: Cody Mannion (Ta Jugs) (EATS)

Game one: I win the die roll, I Mulligan to five to find Brainstorm, LED, Land, Land, and Infernal. I play land, Brainstorm into LED, irrelevancy. Then win turn 2.
    Sideboarding: -4 Xantid Swarm, +4 Dark Confidant

Game two: I mulligan again, this sucks. I play 1st turn Dark Confidant on the draw. He flips Dark Ritual and I draw another. I forget what else happens, Cody didn’t stand a chance; I won turn three.
    7-3
    3-1

Round five: Brandon LePage (Unregged) (UGWR Gro)

Game one: I lose the die roll; my opening hand is Lotus Petal, Tomb of Urami, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, LED, Infernal, and a Petal. I draw Cabal Ritual, I play Tomb “What the fuck is that”, and I then play Lotus Petal, Dark ritual. He forces. I play Dark Ritual, and then Cabal. He forces. I then play Lion’s Eye Diamond, he had a third! A third! Force of will and a blue card. I’m like, cheat much? He end step Brainstorms. Then plays, land Bear. I draw a Dark Ritual, pass. He plays a needle during his turn. Wow.
    Sideboarding: -3 Cabal Ritual, -3 Plunge into Darkness, +4 Dark Confidant, +2 Defense Grid.

Game two: This game is blurry; I play an early Xantid Swarm followed up with a Defense Grid. He plays Meddling Mage on Cabal Ritual. I finally draw into acceleration and cast Diminishing Returns getting the absolute high, and Tendrils him for 30+.

Game Three: I mulligan. I play a first turn Xantid. It resolves! I swing and play Dark Confidant. On his turn he reveals his draw of Lightning Bolt. He kills Dark Confidant. I draw a Tomb of Urami and play it. I swing, and then all I have is Dark Ritual, Rite of Flame, and Infernal. I’m on the edge of my seat. I made 8 men and passed fearing Clasm. He doesn’t have it, and passes. I need any acceleration to activate Tomb of Urami. I draw a Dark Ritual. I swing out putting him at 7 including the Xantid. I cast Dark Ritual, he attempts to Force it until I remind him of my favorite insect. I activate Tomb. He casts Brainstorm on his final turn and says, I need either Clasm + bolt, Clasm and Swords, or Clasm and Enforcer. None of which happens.
    9-4
    4-1

Round six: (Bruenor) (BHWC Landstill)
    1-1

9-4-1
    4-1-1

Top 8: Zach Tartell (LonelyBaritone) (Enchantress)

Game one: I win the roll, play land, Brainstorm. After Brainstorm resolves my hand is 3x LED, Dark ritual, Infernal, and Burning Wish. Needless to say I win turn two.
    Sideboarding: -4 Xantid Swarm, +4 Dark Confidant.

Game two: I he plays lock pieces, I Burning Wish for Tranquility. I can’t get to the third land to save the life of me and he plays Null Chamber naming Tranquility. GG.

Game Three: I can’t remember anything about this game besides that I win turn 2 and it involves Diminishing Returns.

11-4-1
    5-1-1

Top 4: Dave Price (Quicksilver) (RGBSA)

Game one: My horrible memory is catching up with me; I asked Dave to IM his notes. I remember he Therapies me a few times and Duress a few times. He beats me down.
    Sideboarding: -4 Xantid Swarm, +4 Dark Confidant.

Game two: I go off very early with Ill-Gotten Gains and am kicking myself the rest of the match for returning what I thought was a Thresholded Cabal Ritual. I still won, but mistakes are mistakes.

Game three: This is a long one, he disrupts me a lot and kills my Dark Confidant. All I have left is a Burning Wish and LED. I need to draw any acceleration to go for returns, he decides not to flashback Therapy. I draw Dark Ritual and win from there.

13-5-1
    6-1-1

Top 2: Kyle Dorgan (Dr. Teeth) (Hulksmash)

Game one: My opening hand is Gemstone Mine, Brainstorm, Lotus Petal, Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Empty the Warrens, and X. I play Rite of Flame, Rite of Flame, Petal, Brainstorm into Garbage. Finally, ETW. He forces a copy. Then slowly dies.
    Sideboarding: -3 Cabal Ritual, -3 Plunge into Darkness, +4 Dark Confidant, +2 Defense Grid.

Game two: I play turn one Xantid, he forces. We play land go for awhile while, I built up double Tendrils that I acquired turn 2. I go off but he has enough counters to stay alive at one. I draw a Burning Wish, he lets it resolve. I guess he had counters which I found out later. I play acceleration with 3 land, and can’t get it to resolve. I end up losing to a Tog.

Game three: My opening hand is Land x2, Xantid, 2x LED, Infernal, and Burning Wish. My turn one Xantid resolved. He dies turn two while I showboat.

15-6-1
    7-1-1

Thank you all for reading. I apologize for my awful memory.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Re: 1st place: The EPIC Storm

Hooray for my list! 2/2 split on Win conditions is the TITS.

Excellent job at this tournament and representing the team and deck. It's about time!

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Congratulations!!

It's a good report other than the memory lapses.

I really wish you had some notes on the longer games. From what I have seen both playing this deck, and in it's reports, unless you are playing against Aggro, if you don't win or ETW by turn two this deck loses more often than not. I see one game where Tomb does it, but it would be great to see how you play out of these situations in a tournament setting.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Great write-up. Congratulations on your win.

What prizes did you choose?

Re: 1st place TMLO2 Day 1: The EPIC Storm

4 Beta sinkholes, 3 Underground seas, and 3 badlands. Red Death is awesome.

Worst character ever
    Sep 2004
    Newton, MA

Needs more bongs with tubes.
    OH SHIT THERES A HORSE IN THE HOSPITAL

Team Slay and Lego: Slay your a tool and your glasses are almost as GAY as your retarded snitch of a boyfriend Lego. Lego focus on your own game you are a fucking clown and should have heard the rediculous amount of people saying how much of a dick you were being and what kind of a fool you are. I laugh at you two. Seriously you both need attitude adjustments. I have never encountered a larger pair of pussy bitches in my whole life.

Insert Clever Adjetives Here
    Jun 2006
    Austin Texas

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Fear the Red Death matchup.

Anyway congrats, it is pretty awesome to watch a deck develope and see it do well, must be especially for you because of all the work you put into it.
    The Firebrothers
    Scrubbing out of tournements since 2005.

"Large in the margin
    my drama unfolds behind closed doors...."

You should mainboard 3 d-returns, and drop your wishes and go down to 1 ETW for wins.

GG dude.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Good work, sir. You've finally earned a lot of respect for the deck with all of your hard work. Congratulations.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

I'm confused how does Underground Sea fit into Red Death?

Congrats Wastedlife on the beating Tog and for creating a cool deck.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by AnwarA101 View Post
    I'm confused how does Underground Sea fit into Red Death?

Congrats Wastedlife on the beating Tog and for creating a cool deck.
    Dark Ritual, Sea Drake. Duh.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Congradulations.

You may have convinced me to finally pick this thing up after testing with you for so long.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Better at magic than you
    Sep 2006
    Rochester

It was a good match, congratulations.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta Jugs View Post
    Is this guy a dumbass or is it just me...oh wait i'm on The Source, everybody here is.
    oh no he didn't

Feb 2006
    NJ

First off congrats on the win, after reading through the report I had one question for you. In your match against Goblins round 2 game 3 this was your hand after you passed the turn.

After my Brainstorm resolves my hand is 2x LED, Petal, Burning Wish, Infernal, and Land.
    If your Goblins opponent kept a 7 card hand on the draw then there's close to a 56% chance that it contains Chalice of the Void (assuming he runs 4x in the board.).

I know in T1 playing against decks with Chalice its always a hard debate with how many Moxens you should run down because you want to keep them for storm but you also need the mana in order to combo off. This makes it a tough call. Did you consider playing any of your 0cc accelarants or is that always a bad play with this deck?
    Last edited by Gekoratel; 03-05-2007 at 08:47 PM.

Better at magic than you
    Sep 2006
    Rochester

i'm going to guess and say he was just counting on being able to
    burning wish > spree
    Quote Originally Posted by Ta Jugs View Post
    Is this guy a dumbass or is it just me...oh wait i'm on The Source, everybody here is.
    oh no he didn't

Feb 2006
    NJ

i'm going to guess and say he was just counting on being able to
    burning wish > spree
    Fair enough but that would take that would still take 2 turns where he would be seeing the same cards that he just BS'd into. During that time if his Goblins opponent hit Wasteland or Rishadan Port he would be in a bad place. I don't think passing the turn is an obviously correct play but I could just be bad at magic.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Gekoratel View Post
    First off congrats on the win, after reading through the report I had one question for you. In your match against Goblins round 2 game 3 this was your hand after you passed the turn.

After my Brainstorm resolves my hand is 2x LED, Petal, Burning Wish, Infernal, and Land.
    If your Goblins opponent kept a 7 card hand on the draw then there's close to a 46% chance that it contains Chalice of the Void (assuming he runs 4x in the board.).

I know in T1 playing against decks with Chalice its always a hard debate with how many Moxens you should run down because you want to keep them for storm but you also need the mana in order to combo off. This makes it a tough call. Did you consider playing any of your 0cc accelarants or is that always a bad play with this deck?
    For the sake of argument let's say the Goblin player is able to play chalice for 0. If you don't play LEDs here I think there is a very big chance you might lose this game as you need to draw into more Dark Rituals or possibly Rite of Flame to make up for this mana loss before they kill you. Does this sound correct? My only experience with Tendrils in Legacy is Iggy Pop. Iggy Pop would probably mystical for bounce and then win after that, but with TES you might just want to play the LEDs as bouncing or destroying could take longer, but maybe not. Am I messing this up?

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

We had to stop in Albany to pick up Shane, because of this we had to drive through the horrible state of Massachusetts. I know, I know, what were we thinking. The roads were slippery, there was so much fog you shouldn’t see three feet infront of you and Bane of the Living lives there. Those are three great reasons to never return to that state.
    I laughed my ass off when I read that. Congrats again on your finish, it sounds like you didnt have much trouble with your games at all on day one. I noticed you sided your confidants in every single game but the one against Solidarity. Thats usually when you add said card to the maindeck. Have you considered it?
    Now playing real formats.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

I laughed my ass off when I read that. Congrats again on your finish, it sounds like you didnt have much trouble with your games at all on day one. I noticed you sided your confidants in every single game but the one against Solidarity. Thats usually when you add said card to the maindeck. Have you considered it?
    There's been a lot of debate on it, but we came to the conclusion that it's better in the sideboard because those maindeck cards that are coming out are generally stronger in a field game 1. For a lot of matchups Xantids come out for Confidants, but we keep Xantid maindeck because it's better against an unknown field in case of decks like control or Solidarity. Because Xantid is better against the tougher matchups, we keep him in the maindeck.

The only other cards that come out for Confidant (Plunge and Cabal Ritual) are swapped because Confidants are better in those matchups. Generating card advantage is a lot stronger than a one-shot Impulse in a control matchup.

Hooray for Bryant on winning and I apologize for betting against you in Geneseo, although I won that bet so I really don't care either way.

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Teeth View Post
    It was a good match, congratulations.
    You should post your list in the tournament thread. I know Anusien really wants to see it, among others...

Congrats to Wastedlife, its always cool seeing people do well with their own creation.

Thread Information