Thread: Split cards

Asshole

Jan 2004
    Chickenango

Split cards

Ok i think i know the answer but i wanted to make sure. If i have a split card in hand or graveyard, and some other card or affect need to know the number of card types in that field. LIke the number of sorceries or instants. Can the one card count as two sorceries, two instants, or one of each. I mainly want to know how it will work with Magnavore. But I think Blood Oath and other 'Vores have a similar query.
    Survival will be good forever... kinda like a maraschino cherry.

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

Re: Split cards

Each split card counts as one card.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Once Solidarity resolves a Meditate the most productive thing you can do with Orim's Chant is to find a nearby tophat and try to toss the Orim's Chant into it to amuse yourself while your opponent finishes his combo.

Heavy Metal Pirate

May 2006
    Germany

A split card is just one card, even if it may have two spells on it. A split card doesn't count as two cards for threshold, nor as two sorcery cards for Magnivore or Blood Oath, because they look for sorcery cards, and it definitly is just one card, not two.

Living in an area where no one plays Legacy
    Nov 2003

Why when you flip a split card over with 'Bob' do you add both sides of the card for the converted mana cost? Or is this because it is one spell? If Mana Drain was legal would you get the side you cast or the whole converted cost off the spell? Flip cards are silly.
    Major Deck Projects
    Deck 2012: Angel Walk
    Deck 2009: Tombstone
    Deck 2007: Exploration Crucible:
    Deck 2005:Bob the Belcher:

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Raider Bob View Post
    Why when you flip a split card over with 'Bob' do you add both sides of the card for the converted mana cost? Or is this because it is one spell? If Mana Drain was legal would you get the side you cast or the whole converted cost off the spell? Flip cards are silly.
    When you flip a card over with Bob, Bob asks, "What is the converted mana cost of this card?". If you flipped over a split card, such as Boom // Bust, the answer is "2 and 6". Then, you lose 2 life and 6 life, resulting in 8 life loss. Note that the converted mana cost of Boom // Bust is "2 and 6", not "8". The only time the converted mana cost of Boom // Bust is not "2 and 6" is when it is on the stack. When a split card is on the stack, it has only the converted mana cost of the side being played. So if you Mana Drain Boom, you add 2 colorless mana to your mana pool, and if you Drain Bust, you add 6 mana.

And flip cards, such as Erayo, Soratami Ascendant, are another thing altogether.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Once Solidarity resolves a Meditate the most productive thing you can do with Orim's Chant is to find a nearby tophat and try to toss the Orim's Chant into it to amuse yourself while your opponent finishes his combo.

Thread Information