Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Orim's chant vs. Brainfreeze

Orim's chant vs. Brainfreeze

What if my opponent has 10 storm count then I cast an orim's chant and in response to that my opponent cast more spells then I cast another orim's chant when my opponent's storm count is at +6 more, In response my opponent cast more instant spells then stopped at +5 more storm count. What would be my opponents storm count when brainfreeze resolves?

Clay Aiken
    Jun 2005
    Mooshie's Grove

Re: Orim's chant vs. Brainfreeze

Quote Originally Posted by radley View Post
    What if my opponent has 10 storm count then I cast an orim's chant and in response to that my opponent cast more spells then I cast another orim's chant when my opponent's storm count is at +6 more, In response my opponent cast more instant spells then stopped at +5 more storm count. What would be my opponents storm count when brainfreeze resolves?
    10 spells + 1 Orim's Chant + 6 more spells + 1 Orim's Chant + 5 more spells

At what point in this series did your opponent cast Brain Freeze?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

The last spell. Hmm.. how about if I cast orim's chant in response to brainfreeze?

So by the time everything resolves, the orim's chant doesn't matter?

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

If you are casting Chant in response to Brain Freeze then the Freeze has already been played. Chant does nothing to stop a spell that has already been played, but it will add to the storm count.
    info.ninja

So orim's chant lock isn't really that tough then?

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Depends on what you mean by tough. Chantlock isnt nearly as tough for instant speed combo like Solidarity as it is for sorcery speed combo like Spring Tide.
    info.ninja

Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    Depends on what you mean by tough. Chantlock isnt nearly as tough for instant speed combo like Solidarity as it is for sorcery speed combo like Spring Tide.
    Ok, thanks. Just turned me off to play Chant lock Which is a good thing.

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Rule of thumb: if a deck has Scepter in it then its probably kinda janky. Sorry Hanni.
    info.ninja

If your opponent is playing Resets, then Chant works best during your own upkeep....
    Team Albany - Baking Fresh Crayons for over a Year

Originally Posted by Sanguine Voyeur
    Who was that playing the Slippery Boggle deck against that guy who flung a Nicol Bolas at him?

Living in an area where no one plays Legacy
    Nov 2003

Teferi/Chant Lock is fun.
    Major Deck Projects
    Deck 2012: Angel Walk
    Deck 2009: Tombstone
    Deck 2007: Exploration Crucible:
    Deck 2005:Bob the Belcher:

Quote Originally Posted by Raider Bob View Post
    Teferi/Chant Lock is fun.
    Just for fun though because teferi costs too much.

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

Isn't the whole point of Orim's Chant is to cast it at the beginning of your opponent's turn so he can't cast spells? Why on earth would you cast this as your second to last spell? I think you're confusing the power of Orim's Chant with Stifle and Trickbind.

Orim's chant is NOT a counterspell;
    (this is repeated to L0 judgelings time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time after time)

Once spells are on the stack; you can't stop them being played as they are ALREADY ON the stack. (Although Voidslime and Stifle have a jolly good attempt
    Judge Julez
    ...the final judgement

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Isn't the whole point of Orim's Chant is to cast it at the beginning of your opponent's turn so he can't cast spells?
    Sometimes, but sometimes not. I'll very often throw the Chant in response to the first Meditate or Reset in hopes of taking two or three spells out with it. More often than not they have the Force, but sometimes it's nice.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Isn't the whole point of Orim's Chant is to cast it at the beginning of your opponent's turn so he can't cast spells? Why on earth would you cast this as your second to last spell? I think you're confusing the power of Orim's Chant with Stifle and Trickbind.
    Useless against solidarity decks.

tacosnape - Good idea, although it's better to disrupt a combo if it's near the end.

I'm not confused. I'm already clear about what Orim's chant so stop flaming, heck this part of forum is card interactions and questions so stop making me look more stupid

Journeyman
    Jan 2007
    In the forest

Quote Originally Posted by radley View Post
    it's better to disrupt a combo if it's near the end.
    Again, Solidarity is an exception to the rule. It's better to disrupt the Solidarity man after the first High Tide / when he's getting short on resources mid-combo than near the end when he has 17 cards in his hand (including x FoWs and y Remands and z Twincasts) and 55 mana in his pool.
    "My sky is darker than thine!"
    SENTENCED - 1993

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Taurelin07 View Post
    Again, Solidarity is an exception to the rule. It's better to disrupt the Solidarity man after the first High Tide / when he's getting short on resources mid-combo than near the end when he has 17 cards in his hand (including x FoWs and y Remands and z Twincasts) and 55 mana in his pool.
    QFT. Once Solidarity resolves a Meditate the most productive thing you can do with Orim's Chant is to find a nearby tophat and try to toss the Orim's Chant into it to amuse yourself while your opponent finishes his combo.

I find I have the best luck throwing this in response to either the first Meditate or the first Untap spell.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

So Orim's Chant real power here is basically to be cast durring their upkeep and slowing them dow a turn from going off, yes?

What about TES and Belcher going for EtW tokens? EtW and Tendrils are Sorceries, wouldn't casting Chant durring the middle or (hopefully) towards the end of their Storm count stop them from adding spells to the stack thus getting less Goblins and/or less impact with Tendrils?
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

?
    Dec 2003
    High stakes cash games

Holy necro batman. and yes casting chant in responce to a mana spell like dark ritual or lions eye diamond would stop them.
    Team NeverWin: We just top 8 a lot.

Too lazy to post.

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

Sorry for bringing up old threads. I didn't want to make a pain of myself making too many new ones.

So using Chant agaisnt combo is basically a guessing game. You need to determine the weakest link in the chain and disrupt it at that point.

Would you say, and this would be a very general as I only know how combo decks work by reading their primers and have never actually seen them played, that countering a mana source is the safer play? Obviously waiting too long I won't be able to counter the Storm count from a Tendrils/ETW.
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

Thread Information