Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Discussion] Meddling Mage, what do you name?

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Re: [Discussion] Meddling Mage, what do you name?

Has anyone noticed that shutting down combo with Meddling Mage requires atleast two? The combo decks of today are better equipped to handle them than in the past. I think we all knew it, but one thing is being laid out clearly from this discussion. Meddling Mage is not nearly as good as it used to be. I think we can agree that allowing combo access to its engine, which is variable out of necessity, will result in a game loss. So why is this card as popular as it is when it is clearly not very good at preventing that? Chalice is better, occasionally coming down on turn 1 and hitting groups of cards. But Nightmare said that he won with TES through 3 of them. That example may be a bit extreme, but the point remains.

Am I the only person playing Sphere of Resistance?

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Has anyone noticed that shutting down combo with Meddling Mage requires atleast two? The combo decks of today are better equipped to handle them than in the past. I think we all knew it, but one thing is being laid out clearly from this discussion. Meddling Mage is not nearly as good as it used to be. I think we can agree that allowing combo access to its engine, which is variable out of necessity, will result in a game loss. So why is this card as popular as it is when it is clearly not very good at preventing that? Chalice is better, occasionally coming down on turn 1 and hitting groups of cards. But Nightmare said that he won with TES through 3 of them. That example may be a bit extreme, but the point remains.

Am I the only person playing Sphere of Resistance?
    Chalice of the Void, Trinisphere, Glowrider, Counterbalance, Stifle, more weird anti-combo stuff?
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

You are correct that Meddling Mage by itself isn't the house it used to be. That is why any successful deck playing them does so as part of a package. Meddling Mage + True Believer, Mom, Trinisphere, Sphere of Resistance, Aether Vial, Jotun Grunt, Counterspell/FoW/other counters, Duress/Cabal Therapy - you can have a pretty good deck when you combine Meddling Mage with part of the buffet.
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

You are correct that Meddling Mage by itself isn't the house it used to be. That is why any successful deck playing them does so as part of a package. Meddling Mage + True Believer, Mom, Trinisphere, Sphere of Resistance, Aether Vial, Jotun Grunt, Counterspell/FoW/other counters, Duress/Cabal Therapy - you can have a pretty good deck when you combine Meddling Mage with part of the buffet
    You forgot Arcane Lab/Rule of Law. Meddling Mage and one of those makes alot of combo decks cry. Just make sure you name Burning/Cunning Wish with Mage.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Yeah, I've been convinced. LED first. Burning Wish 2nd, maybe?
    I can't imagine a situation where you'd follow naming LED with Burning Wish unless you were completely unable to defend your pair mages from Clasm/Rough with any sort of countermagic. My next target after LED would be Dark Ritual. If you're going to go the mana denial route, stick to it.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    I can't imagine a situation where you'd follow naming LED with Burning Wish unless you were completely unable to defend your pair mages from Clasm/Rough with any sort of countermagic. My next target after LED would be Dark Ritual. If you're going to go the mana denial route, stick to it.
    Hmm... I'm not sure I agree. Naming LED isn't just about mana denial. And naming Burning Wish isn't just about protecting your mages from Earthquake/Rough (they don't run Pyroclasm, btw; kills their Swarms).
    Team Info-Ninja: Shhh... We don't exist.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushwagg View Post
    You forgot Arcane Lab/Rule of Law. Meddling Mage and one of those makes alot of combo decks cry. Just make sure you name Burning/Cunning Wish with Mage.
    Dead on, Nat, and important potential weapons in the arsenal. As to naming Burning/Cunning Wish, they are key if you don't have a counter for what is wished for (or the card has Split Second). They also deny your opponent access to other combo pieces stashed in the SB (becoming more & more common). Your opponent has have boarded in removal, if they didn't, Wish is still the right call. If your opponent did board in removal, then your Mages(s) are dead anyway vs TES as they have leventy-million tutors but you have a better shot versus IGGy. Go for the possibility that you can control the outcome rather than name cards that won't matter once they fry your Mage(s). This also has the advantage of making them burn tutors (and possibly cards) to get rid of your Mage(s).
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Hmm... I'm not sure I agree. Naming LED isn't just about mana denial. And naming Burning Wish isn't just about protecting your mages from Earthquake/Rough (they don't run Pyroclasm, btw; kills their Swarms).
    It's about what card that enables TES the best to Combo off with. LED combos off with LED and enable 1st-2nd turn kills all the time. Burning Wish is like naming Cunning Wish against Solidarity. Look, thing is, Mage is useless after one comes up and names LED. Dark Confidant can just outdraw you Game 2 without the aid of LED.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

If your going mana denial then vs. TES you name Dark Ritual, Cabal Ritual, Rite of Flame. Pretty much in that order. TES needs the Black mana alot more then the Red.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Re: Meddling Mage, what do you name????

Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    Against TES, I don't name win conditions, I name tutors. Burning Wish first, and then beyond that it's Infernal Tutor or Plunge. It's really nice if you can cast a Duress first, but not always necessary. Cutting them off of tutors though severly limits their ability to combo off on you... at the least it slows them incredibly (since now they have less outs). Unless you have double mage, you don't want to name win conditions... even naming both, they can still pull removal out with Burning Wish. If you want to answer the win condition, run Stifle (and removal, since you need Xantid off the table).
    Thats what I would have said as well, but I have not real testing against TES to see if it is correct. I'll feel much better if this situation comes up in the future.

BTW, Counterbalance > Meddling Mage, but that is besides the point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Thread Information