Page 264 of 282 FirstFirst ... 164214254260261262263264265266267268274 ... LastLast
Results 5,261 to 5,280 of 5639

Thread: [Deck] Solitaire (Enchantress)

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

Re: [Deck] Solitaire (Enchantress)

Got a few games in today, went 3-1 in the FNM Legacy.

Round 1: vs UR Delver

[G1] Opponent, burnt through their counter magic stopping my Green Sun's Zenith, and Enchantress's Presence. While applying pressure with Delver and Young Pyromancer. I resolved Solemnity, and Living wish the next turn grabbing Glacial Chasm out of my SB and dropping it into play. Opponent conceded as he has no answer.

[G2] Mulled to 6, keeping hand with a Leyline of Sanctity. Opponent has the double delver opening but his only counter magic that I saw the entire game was a Force of Will. He countered my only enchantress, but has no interaction with my Solemnity. I wished for a dark Depths to end the game early, but he bought enough time chump blocking with all his delvers, and he bounced the token. With that plan out, I just played normally and just lock my opponent out of the game with the standard enchantress and confinements.

Match result: 2-0
    Current standing: 1-0

Round 2: vs BUG Delver

[G1] A barrage of hand destructions (double hymn), Force of Will, and Daze, and an Abrupt Decay got him there. My one and only Argothian Enchantress, was helping me go through my cards, but he killed everything I had. This was a loss.

[G2] Same as G1, I mulled to 6 keeping a hand with Leyline of Sanctity, GSZ and Sterling Grove but he had double Force of Wills, and 3x Abrupt Decay. Not much to say, he drew the nuts, and had all the answers, he slowly killed me with DRS activations and whatever that 2/2 creature that becomes a 4/4 that gives him some sort of library manipulation / filtering.

Match result: 0-2
    Current standing: 1-1

Round 3: Death and Taxes

[G1] He had thalia and stoneforge, but I was producing enough mana for thalia to slow me down. I stopped his attacks with Moat and with the protection it gave me, I grabbed Dark Depths, immediately turning it to a Marit Lage, as Chasm is a bad pick versus DnT.

[G2] He dropped Sanctum Prelate, preventing me from casting anything that costs 3,and had 3 Wastelands sitting at bay. My moat bought me a few turns, but I can't assemble a solid defense fast enough to hold him off.

[G3] Choosing to be on the play, I had a choice between Enchantress or Solemnity. I prioritized dropping Solemnity now while I still can. He dropped Sanctum Prelate at 3. I dont have an engine, and hes got double ports and thalia going on, but i had double elephant grass as well, while I am also holding on to a Serra's Sanctum that I plan to drop when the time is right, as he does have a wasteland in play. He figured hes not going anywhere so he decided to leave my mana alone to drop an equipment. I gained a massive distance off that as I drop an Argothian, and chained into a few Wild Growths. over the course of a few turns I had enough to power up an Emrakul, and finally dropped my Sanctum.

Match result: 2-1
    Current Standing: 2-1

Round 4: vs UW Stoneblade

[G1] He used up his counters stopping my enchantresses, that he had nothing to stop Solemnity. Living Wish into Dark Depths ended the game the turn after.

[G2] Opponent countered my early Solemnity, and Counsil's Judgement my Argothian. With no Solemnity and no Enchantress, I living wished for an Eidolon of Blossoms instead, seems like he's digging for a removal, but my Sterling Grove gave him shroud, and I slowly, little by little started burying my opponent in card advantage, as I came across more enchantresses, and later powered up an Emrakul.

Final standing: 3-1

It was a pretty fun night. BUG delver for me, felt it was very difficult for me to combat, but he did have crazy hand both games.
    Or at least it felt crazy for me
    Legacy: GWR Enchantress (2010-Current)
    I'm also always looking for friendly players in League of Legends IGN Dread Return, doesn't have to be competitive, just be nice and friendly.
    [S3 - Diamond, S4 - Diamond, S5 - Diamond, Current Season - Diamond] Primary role Support, Secondary MID Lane, Alternate Jungle.

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore1 View Post
    Got a few games in today, went 3-1 in the FNM Legacy.

Round 1: vs UR Delver

[G1] Opponent, burnt through their counter magic stopping my Green Sun's Zenith, and Enchantress's Presence. While applying pressure with Delver and Young Pyromancer. I resolved Solemnity, and Living wish the next turn grabbing Glacial Chasm out of my SB and dropping it into play. Opponent conceded as he has no answer.

[G2] Mulled to 6, keeping hand with a Leyline of Sanctity. Opponent has the double delver opening but his only counter magic that I saw the entire game was a Force of Will. He countered my only enchantress, but has no interaction with my Solemnity. I wished for a dark Depths to end the game early, but he bought enough time chump blocking with all his delvers, and he bounced the token. With that plan out, I just played normally and just lock my opponent out of the game with the standard enchantress and confinements.

Current standing: 1-0

Round 2: vs BUG Delver

[G1] A barrage of hand destructions (double hymn), Force of Will, and Daze, and an Abrupt Decay got him there. My one and only Argothian Enchantress, was helping me go through my cards, but he killed everything I had. This was a loss.

[G2] Same as G1, I mulled to 6 keeping a hand with Leyline of Sanctity, GSZ and Sterling Grove but he had double Force of Wills, and 3x Abrupt Decay. Not much to say, he drew the nuts, and had all the answers, he slowly killed me with DRS activations and whatever that 2/2 creature that becomes a 4/4 that gives him some sort of library manipulation / filtering.

Match result: 0-2
    Current standing: 1-1

Round 3: Death and Taxes

[G1] He had thalia and stoneforge, but I was producing enough mana for thalia to slow me down. I stopped his attacks with Moat and with the protection it gave me, I grabbed Dark Depths, immediately turning it to a Marit Lage, as Chasm is a bad pick versus DnT.

[G2] He dropped Sanctum Prelate, preventing me from casting anything that costs 3,and had 3 Wastelands sitting at bay. My moat bought me a few turns, but I can't assemble a solid defense fast enough to hold him off.

[G3] Choosing to be on the play, I had a choice between Enchantress or Solemnity. I prioritized dropping Solemnity now while I still can. He dropped Sanctum Prelate at 3. I dont have an engine, and hes got double ports and thalia going on, but i had double elephant grass as well, while I am also holding on to a Serra's Sanctum that I plan to drop when the time is right, as he does have a wasteland in play. He figured hes not going anywhere so he decided to leave my mana alone to drop an equipment. I gained a massive distance off that as I drop an Argothian, and chained into a few Wild Growths. over the course of a few turns I had enough to power up an Emrakul, and finally dropped my Sanctum.

Match result: 2-1
    Current Standing: 2-1

Round 4: vs UW Stoneblade

[G1] He used up his counters stopping my enchantresses, that he had nothing to stop Solemnity. Living Wish into Dark Depths ended the game the turn after.

[G2] Opponent countered my early Solemnity, and Counsil's Judgement my Argothian. With no Solemnity and no Enchantress, I living wished for an Eidolon of Blossoms instead, seems like he's digging for a removal, but my Sterling Grove gave him shroud, and I slowly, little by little started burying my opponent in card advantage, as I came across more enchantresses, and later powered up an Emrakul.

Final standing: 3-1

It was a pretty fun night. BUG delver for me, felt it was very difficult for me to combat, but he did have crazy hand both games.
    Or at least it felt crazy for me
    Nice write up, thank you for this. I have to agree that BUG Delver is an annoying match up to play against. The hand destruction and fast clock can be rather annoying at times. I've started to pack 2 copies of leyline of sanctity maindeck to deal with the disruption and to give me a better chance vs storm/burn etc. So far it seems to do well. I've been working on my own list for the last week or so, i'll post it shortly and feedback is welcome :)

Alrite guys and gals, here is the build i've been toying with the last week or so on MTGO.

8 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas
    1 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    3 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Windswept Heath

3 Elephant Grass
    1 Mirri's Guile
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    3 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Living Wish
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Sterling Grove
    2 Banishing Light
    1 Solitary Confinement (safe card, thinking of upping this to two copies)
    4 Enchaantress's Presence
    2 Leyline Of Sanctity
    1 Opalescence
    3 Parallax Wave
    1 Eidolon of Blossoms
    1 Starfield of Nyx
    3 Green Sun's Zenith

Wishboard/sideboard

4 Leyline of the Void (Need to have a fighting chance vs reanimator, loam/dredge/storm)
    2 Leyline of Sanctity (Need to have a fighting chance vs burn/storm/hand disruption)

1 Argothian Enchantress (self explanatory)
    1 Reclamation sage (wish/zenith target-spot removal for chalice/moon or any other troublesome artifact/enchantment, abusive with wave too)
    1 Peacekeeper (wish/zenith target vs sneak/show or emergency card if i'm about to die the following turn)
    1 Sigarda, Host of Herons (alt wincon, also vs MUD/Liliana/emrakul)
    1 Emrakul, the Aeons Torn (alt wincon)

1 The Tabernacle at Pendrell Vale (brought in vs storm-empty the warrens, Elves-slow them down long enough to seal the game, dredge, D&T)
    1 Serra's Sanctum (sometimes I need the extra mana to go off, however, currently on the chopping block)
    1 Karakas (Wish target vs Leovold/emrakul/gaddock teeg)
    1 Bojuka Bog (Wish target vs loam/dredge/reanimator, sparingly wished for post board to hardcast Leyline of the void)

The build is pretty much self explanatory. I'm a huge fan of the wave + opalescence/starfield combo so I wanted to test it out. It turns out wave is incredibly strong even on it's own. It can buy me enough time to go off and It provides a lot of flexibility in areas that confinement/solemnity/phyrexian unlife cannot fill. It is also a wincon.

I'm not entirely sure if my wishboard is optimal. I'm considering taking out the peacekeeper and Serra's Sanctum in favor of an Eidolon of the Blossoms and something else. I like the idea of having a tutorable enchantment(blossoms) with wish incase I need the card draw.

I'm considering removing the single opalescence in order to squeeze in a Doomwake Giant as I think it will have more impact vs D&T/Delver decks.

So far the toughest matches seem to be D&T and decks packing a large hand disruption package.

I'm pretty much brand new to legacy but have a general idea of how GW enchantress operates since it is similar to 7th edition standard enchantress. So far i've played 7 MTGO legacy leagues with the deck. The list has changed drastically from the start and I didn't start winning prizes until the latter half of leagues played. So far i've cashed 3 times going 3-2, 3-2 and then 4-1. Living Wish and Parallax Wave feel like allstars.

I'm extremely open to suggestions and ways to improve the build. Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by HouseOfCards; 11-13-2017 at 10:44 AM.

I like more than one mirris guile

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    I like more than one mirris guile
    Lately I have been feeling the same way. The card is incredibly helpful. I have no idea what I would take out though :(

Quote Originally Posted by HouseOfCards View Post
    Lately I have been feeling the same way. The card is incredibly helpful. I have no idea what I would take out though :(
    Perhabs one of the parallax waves.

Unban Survival of the Fittest Activist
    Oct 2016
    Netherlands

Alrite guys and gals, here is the build i've been toying with the last week or so on MTGO.

8 Forest
    1 Plains
    1 Dryad Arbor
    1 Karakas
    1 Savannah
    1 Bayou
    3 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Windswept Heath

3 Elephant Grass
    1 Mirri's Guile
    4 Utopia Sprawl
    4 Wild Growth
    3 Argothian Enchantress
    4 Living Wish
    1 Seal of Primordium
    2 Sterling Grove
    2 Banishing Light
    1 Solitary Confinement (safe card, thinking of upping this to two copies)
    4 Enchaantress's Presence
    2 Leyline Of Sanctity
    1 Opalescence
    3 Parallax Wave
    1 Eidolon of Blossoms
    1 Starfield of Nyx
    3 Green Sun's Zenith
    Note beforehand, I havent tried the Parallax Wave / Opalescence build myself so I am making some assumptions on this part.

-1 Seal of Primodium
    -2 Leyline of Sanctity
    -1 Wild Growth

+1 Solitary confinement
    +2 Mirri's guile
    +1 Opalescence

Options to keep in mind:
    1-2 Replenish (These can ''replace the leylines''. Leyline of Sanctity is fine versus Discard, but with 2 mainboard, your chances of getting them in your opening hand is not particulary awsome. I think you would side in 3 from your SB (looking at other generic lists) once you know your facing discard.

The reason why I like replenish more is because it also helps if your stuff gets countered, or abrupt decayed later in the game.

1 Sphere of Safety: Cheap Moat replacement, works really well in general as people need to pay 4-6 mana per creature which most can't really afford.

Feedback of suggested changeS:

Imo you really want to have at least 2 confinements in the deck. I have played with 2-3 for a long time. In the end I settled with 2 as I feel this is enough.

Like I said I dont have experience with the opalescence version but it seems to me that you want to have the opalescence in combination with Parallax wave out, without the Opalescence, the Wave is unable to target itself to reset itself. Wave + Opal + Oring can also be used to permanently exile stuff if stacked right from what I know. So thats why I suggest running 2.

Mirri's guile is bonkers, I love the card, I keep allot of hands with Mirri, Fetch, Mana accel + whatever while lacking an enchantress effect.

Other:
    I don't like the Dryad arbor, the removal of your opponent should be dead, by playing arbor your actually giving them a target. I understand its a play to counter Lilly / Diabloc edict or whatever but I find these scenario's to be to niche.
    Decks I own: 2x DnTx [B,G,R], Deadguy Ale, Maverick, Elves, Enchantress [WG/GU], Goblins, (Shardless) BUG, Food Chain, Aluren, High tide (reset/spiral), UR delver, RUG delver, Grixis Delver, Reanimator, Lands, Dark Depths (turbo / selesnya / hoogaak)

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. A.E. (1879 - 1955)

Quote Originally Posted by Emurian View Post
    Note beforehand, I havent tried the Parallax Wave / Opalescence build myself so I am making some assumptions on this part.

-1 Seal of Primodium
    -2 Leyline of Sanctity
    -1 Wild Growth

+1 Solitary confinement
    +2 Mirri's guile
    +1 Opalescence

Options to keep in mind:
    1-2 Replenish (These can ''replace the leylines''. Leyline of Sanctity is fine versus Discard, but with 2 mainboard, your chances of getting them in your opening hand is not particulary awsome. I think you would side in 3 from your SB (looking at other generic lists) once you know your facing discard.

The reason why I like replenish more is because it also helps if your stuff gets countered, or abrupt decayed later in the game.

1 Sphere of Safety: Cheap Moat replacement, works really well in general as people need to pay 4-6 mana per creature which most can't really afford.

Feedback of suggested changeS:

Imo you really want to have at least 2 confinements in the deck. I have played with 2-3 for a long time. In the end I settled with 2 as I feel this is enough.

Like I said I dont have experience with the opalescence version but it seems to me that you want to have the opalescence in combination with Parallax wave out, without the Opalescence, the Wave is unable to target itself to reset itself. Wave + Opal + Oring can also be used to permanently exile stuff if stacked right from what I know. So thats why I suggest running 2.

Mirri's guile is bonkers, I love the card, I keep allot of hands with Mirri, Fetch, Mana accel + whatever while lacking an enchantress effect.

Other:
    I don't like the Dryad arbor, the removal of your opponent should be dead, by playing arbor your actually giving them a target. I understand its a play to counter Lilly / Diabloc edict or whatever but I find these scenario's to be to niche.
    I've been thinking about replenish. It's definitely bonkers vs disruption and after they counter my enchantments. I'm a little leary on taking out any more enchantments for non-enchantments as i think 30 is pretty low. I'm not actually sure what the optimal number of enchantments is. How low can I go? Also, Is there anything else to use vs storm other than leyline?

I've been going banishing light instead of oblivion ring since it's better situationally.

I'm picking up a moat today, is there any instance where I would want the sphere over moat?

I've been going back and forth between 1 and 2 confinements. I'll probably up it to two.

I'm pretty sure a second Mirri's guile is going in for sure, it's been an allstar.

Also, are there any other options aside from sigarda vs all is dust/emrakul?

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions.

Quote Originally Posted by JackaBo View Post
    Perhabs one of the parallax waves.
    That wouldn't really be practical here. Parallax Wave provides a lot of utility to open up a window vs leovold and has been an allstar vs sneak/show. It also happens to be the basis of the deck.
    Last edited by HouseOfCards; 11-13-2017 at 04:21 PM.

Unban Survival of the Fittest Activist
    Oct 2016
    Netherlands

I used to have a moat myself for this deck but I traded it away after the moat buyout that pushed the price up lol.

TBH I never was that impressed with Moat. You still have Delvers, Griselbrands, Flickerwisps, Cliques, Entreat the Angels etc etc.

The sphere does roughly the same in my eyes, it still allows a person to attack if he is paying enough mana but lets be real, thats often gonna translate in at least 5 up to 15 mana .

Vs All is dust > Gaddock Teeg. Also works vs Storm / Elves, can be tutored with GSZ. Yes he does shut off a couple of your own enchantments (Humility, Sphere) but in general the pros are bigger then the cons.
    Decks I own: 2x DnTx [B,G,R], Deadguy Ale, Maverick, Elves, Enchantress [WG/GU], Goblins, (Shardless) BUG, Food Chain, Aluren, High tide (reset/spiral), UR delver, RUG delver, Grixis Delver, Reanimator, Lands, Dark Depths (turbo / selesnya / hoogaak)

Try not to become a man of success but rather try to become a man of value. A.E. (1879 - 1955)

Quote Originally Posted by Emurian View Post
    I used to have a moat myself for this deck but I traded it away after the moat buyout that pushed the price up lol.

TBH I never was that impressed with Moat. You still have Delvers, Griselbrands, Flickerwisps, Cliques, Entreat the Angels etc etc.

The sphere does roughly the same in my eyes, it still allows a person to attack if he is paying enough mana but lets be real, thats often gonna translate in at least 5 up to 15 mana .

Vs All is dust > Gaddock Teeg. Also works vs Storm / Elves, can be tutored with GSZ. Yes he does shut off a couple of your own enchantments (Humility, Sphere) but in general the pros are bigger then the cons.
    So do I even run the sigarda anymore or do I run both? When I sideboard, I assume it's better to board in the teeg since it's faster with GSZ than Living Wish and makes you less susceptible to getting it ripped out of your hand?

Ya moat is hit or miss some times. It's one of the reasons I omitted it from my list.

How do you deal with the aggro loam Knight of the Reliquary decks? I got smashed by one earlier today.

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

I'm picking up a moat today, is there any instance where I would want the sphere over moat?
    When I was on the GWr build with RIP/helm, I used to run Nahiri, the Harbinger, sphere protects her, and gives you another main decked (yet very weak) protection versus an early Emrakul off a SNT. In the RIP/Helm (regarding Nahiri), she helps fix your hand and just gets rid of obstacles your way. Not just that but her ULT grabs either one of your win-cons. Most decks can't really afford to pay for the cost to attack specially when you start building up a mass of enchantments. So yes, Sphere is a good option vs Moat, with all these Delvers around.

I stuck with Moat though strictly for pimp factor
    Well that and I'm never upset to draw into it.

EDIT:
    As for the Mirri's Guile, have you considered a 1:1 Split between Mirri and Sylvan Library?
    I'm also always looking for friendly players in League of Legends IGN Dread Return, doesn't have to be competitive, just be nice and friendly.
    [S3 - Diamond, S4 - Diamond, S5 - Diamond, Current Season - Diamond] Primary role Support, Secondary MID Lane, Alternate Jungle.

When I was on the GWr build with RIP/helm, I used to run Nahiri, the Harbinger, sphere protects her, and gives you another main decked (yet very weak) protection versus an early Emrakul off a SNT. In the RIP/Helm (regarding Nahiri), she helps fix your hand and just gets rid of obstacles your way. Not just that but her ULT grabs either one of your win-cons. Most decks can't really afford to pay for the cost to attack specially when you start building up a mass of enchantments. So yes, Sphere is a good option vs Moat, with all these Delvers around.

I stuck with Moat though strictly for pimp factor
    Well that and I'm never upset to draw into it.

EDIT:
    As for the Mirri's Guile, have you considered a 1:1 Split between Mirri and Sylvan Library?
    Nahiri sounds busted, i'd toss her and a words of war in the deck to cause some serious injury lol.

Here is the thing about sylvan. It's a 2 drop and comes out earliest T2. My first 2/3 turns are either pumping out enchantress's presence, argothian enchantress or GSZ for enchantress. OR i'm playing reactively with living wish to slide into the mid game a little easier depending what i'm playing against. Sylvan costs an extra mana over MG which makes it vulnerable to spell snare and paying the 4 life per card is a bit much when i'm under pressure early. A turn 1 MG is more attractive to me than a turn 2 sylvan since the MG isn't going to delay my draw engine. Sylvan is a good card for sure but it doesn't really fit the flow of how the deck operates.

May 2013
    NAS Oceana

Nahiri sounds busted, i'd toss her and a words of war in the deck to cause some serious injury lol.

Here is the thing about sylvan. It's a 2 drop and comes out earliest T2. My first 2/3 turns are either pumping out enchantress's presence, argothian enchantress or GSZ for enchantress. OR i'm playing reactively with living wish to slide into the mid game a little easier depending what i'm playing against. Sylvan costs an extra mana over MG which makes it vulnerable to spell snare and paying the 4 life per card is a bit much when i'm under pressure early. A turn 1 MG is more attractive to me than a turn 2 sylvan since the MG isn't going to delay my draw engine. Sylvan is a good card for sure but it doesn't really fit the flow of how the deck operates.
    Some arguments for both:

[Mirri's Guile]
    The card is great, also also keep in mind that it also compete with your T1 acceleration. It's great under confinement, as you can set up your library so you do not whiff with the enchantress/confinement lock. Where as Sylvan Library gets turned off. You can also look at your library first to give you the knowledge you need whether you want to pay for the grass upkeep.

[Sylvan Library]
    The card does indeed compete with your Turn 2 enchantress, however it also acts as an enchantress as well. 4 life is indeed steep but sometimes its good to have that extra reach. Yes you pay 4 life but if thats the cost to setting up your board than that seems fine. There are games that I even paid 8 life for it. The bad though, is that Leovold is around. he shuts this card down, where as guile is still functional. Depending on the build however, Library just shines. Like if you are on the red splash and is main decking Words of War, the two combined, you can easily just ride to victory as 6 damage a turn is pretty brutal as you can also just clear the field of little critters like shamans, delvers and thalias.

As for the Nahiri, I did not run Words of War main decked, when I was using her, I was using Helm of Obedience and Emrakul.
    Words of war was in the Sideboard, for matches where I need it, or where I plan to bring in Blood Moon as well.

Some arguments for both:

[Mirri's Guile]
    The card is great, also also keep in mind that it also compete with your T1 acceleration. It's great under confinement, as you can set up your library so you do not whiff with the enchantress/confinement lock. Where as Sylvan Library gets turned off. You can also look at your library first to give you the knowledge you need whether you want to pay for the grass upkeep.

[Sylvan Library]
    The card does indeed compete with your Turn 2 enchantress, however it also acts as an enchantress as well. 4 life is indeed steep but sometimes its good to have that extra reach. Yes you pay 4 life but if thats the cost to setting up your board than that seems fine. There are games that I even paid 8 life for it. The bad though, is that Leovold is around. he shuts this card down, where as guile is still functional. Depending on the build however, Library just shines. Like if you are on the red splash and is main decking Words of War, the two combined, you can easily just ride to victory as 6 damage a turn is pretty brutal as you can also just clear the field of little critters like shamans, delvers and thalias.

As for the Nahiri, I did not run Words of War main decked, when I was using her, I was using Helm of Obedience and Emrakul.
    Words of war was in the Sideboard, for matches where I need it, or where I plan to bring in Blood Moon as well.
    When it comes to sylvan library, Against what match up and what specific scenario would you want sylvan over guile? What specific opening? I'm still having a hard time seeing where it would be more useful than guile and i'm not sure if it is due to my lack of experience with the card(I haven't used it much at all but it is a fairly straight forward card).
    Last edited by HouseOfCards; 12-04-2017 at 01:19 AM.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I'm keeping my Enchantress updates in a separate thread as I don't really consider the version I'm running to be Solitaire. But I did want to drop a link for general Enchantress-y interest: http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...=1#post1031876

TLDR: I went 5-2 and got second place in a local 29 man tournament with a build running Living Wish and Doomwake Giant and no MD Solitary Confinement (or white cards at all except 1x Ixalan's Binding and 1x Sterling Grove).

Some general notes:

Living Wish performs really well right now, giving you really deep threat redundancy as well as flexibility against specific threats. Notably being able to Wish for Karakas is good against Leovold, Reanimator, SnS (obviously not if they get Omniscience out) and Dark Depths combo, being able to get Doomwake Giant against Death and Taxes, an active Pyromancer, Elves, or a variety of other decks, and being able to get Reclamation Sage against prison cards like Trinisphere and Chalice. It also allows you to drop Emrakul from the maindeck, reducing dead draws in the early to mid-game.

Doomwake Giant eats "fair" decks all day long. Basically everything that isn't combo he's a monster against. He kills Moms and TNN, and in multiples or if you just have enough gas he can take down larger prey, and until then he stands back and blocks anything besides Griselbrand and Emrakul. I'm not sure there's a convincing reason not to run this guy unless your meta-game is super combo heavy, in which case you probably just shouldn't be playing any version of Enchantress.

Ixalan's Binding had mixed results. The blanking of cards was useful, but most of the decks this comes up against have Brainstorm so can minimize the damage. The extra mana cost me one game in the finals. But to be fair it's harder to assess how much the un-Decayability and the future-proofing aspect of the card really hurt the opponent without seeing their hand. Still testing it out.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Aug 2015
    Freiburg, Germany

I was wondering, what are the advantages of Living Wish over Crop Rotation? The extra mana is probably redundant in this deck and therefore not sacing a land is better as well?

I was never that big of a fan of wish boards as they reduce the sideboard options. Do you have the feeling this does matter in certain match ups?

Context: I am currently building Enchantress. Thanks for the answers.

Best,
    Oliver

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

I think they're probably only comparable in the Dark Depths version, as Crop Rotation is otherwise not very good in Enchantress IMO.

I've not done any testing with the Depths version so I can't compare it for those purposes, but for general purposes:

Crop Rotation

job:gets Serra's Sanctum

pros:cheap, instant
    cons:not an enchantment, really only does the one thing

Living Wish

job:threat and kill condition

pros:flexible and powerful, can be a mana source, an answer to Leovold, a board sweeper, an Enchantress, or a kill condition
    cons:2 mana and takes up about half your sideboard

It is true that losing the sideboard space is annoying. You can mitigate this somewhat by trying to make your Wishboard predominantly green creatures or enchantment creatures that can be brought in without losing much of your core strategy g2/g3. I tend to leave my top 2 wish targets against whatever deck I'm playing in, and try to bring in anything significant against them in. So for example if I'm playing against Aluren I can leave Phyrexian Revoker as a Wish target and bring in Qasali Pridemage, Reclamation Sage and Doomwake Giant.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Prompt:

I've been thinking more about the combo matchup and options against it. I've been thinking that the storm matchup we really can't do too much about, but we do have possible options against Sneak and Show, Reanimator, Elves, and other permanent based decks.

So it might be useful to run down a list of cards against specific combo decks and see what options have the greatest impact and flexibility. I'm generally trying to lean away from cards that aren't either enchantments or GSZ-able, but some exceptions can be made. I'm also not trying to reference tons of cards that are specific to a Wish-board even though that's what I'm personally running.

Sneak and Show

Humility most effective, but costs four mana.
    Karakas good against Sneak Attack and Show and Tell->Emrakul but useless against Omniscience
    Banishing Light good against Show and Tell, but not great against Sneak Attack
    Journey to Nowhere good against SnT->fatty, but useless in other situations
    Cast Out good against most situations but only if you leave the mana open, which is a lot. Still good against SnT.
    Ixalan's Binding good against SnT, particularly if it grabs an Emrakul. Not good versus Sneak Attack. In this matchup probably just worse than Banishing Light or Cast Out.
    Seal of Primordium only good against Sneak Attack and Omniscience, but they'll have priority and can cast Emrakul before you can blow their Omniscience, and if they have a mana open they can still Sneak Attack. Probably buys a turn due to complicating their gameplan but not great.
    Seal of Removal - good except versus Omniscience, requires blue
    Seal of Doom - good versus Emmy but useless against Grislebrand
    Trial of Ambition - good versus SnT->fatty, otherwise probably won't do much.
    Containment Priest - not an enchantment but pretty solid. not very good versus Omniscience.

Reanimator

Humility - great but slow, again
    Karakas - situational but not counterable or discardable. maybe the best, most of their non-legendaries are somewhat deal-with-able
    Banishing Light, Cast Out, Ixalan's Binding - another match where Binding is probably just worse than the other options. All of these are good unless they go for "white" with Iona, Shield of Emeria.
    Journey to Nowhere - probably just the best of the removal options in this matchup
    Lignify, Song of the Dryads - mediocre but give you non-white options
    Seal of Removal - solid, requires blue
    Seal of Doom - very situational, slow, requires black
    Trial of Ambition - solid but requires black
    Seal of Primordium - hits Animate Dead but nothing else
    Containment Priest - not an enchantment, probably too slow to actually stop the rez
    Leyline of the Void - has to be in opener but obviously great there. if not in black, dead weight, but if it's not in your opener it's probably dead weight anyway.
    Tormod's Crypt - gives you 1-2 extra cards to find it and still be relevant, but not an Enchantment.
    Surgical Extraction - same as above but dissynergy with Ground Seal if you're running it, which is often too slow but can sometimes win or buy time. on the plus side obviously gets all their Griselbrands or whatever.

Elves

Humility - if you can get it it's pretty great but they can still get there with a horde of 1/1s
    Banishing Light, etc, spot removal - useful but not much more than a speed bump, or it'll just be negated by Wirewood Symbiote. another case where Journey to Nowhere is going to be the best option
    Trial of Ambition - useful versus Wirewood Symbiote but still mediocre
    Seal of Removal - pretty useless
    Seal of Fire - cheap but same problems as other spot removal
    Seal of Doom - useful in conjunction with Elephant Grass, you might be able to buy a turn by hitting one of their fat attackers
    Doomwake Giant - a wrecking house if you can get him out in time
    Engineered Plague - very strong but they're bound to have a plan for it, and it doesn't quite kill everything, giving them some wiggle room to respond.

Food Chain

Humility - once again solves the issue, and can't be Abrupt Decayed, but need four mana and double white against a deck with disruption. they can still get an infinitely large Walking Ballista though so I mean that'll have to be dealt with.
    Banishing Light, etc, spot removal - not useless but they'll typically only drop Food Chain itself when ready to go, and obviously a number of important targets don't care about exile.
    Ixalan's Binding - notably, can stop exiled creatures
    Trial of Ambition, Seal of Doom - a little better here because killing guys is more reliable than exiling them
    Seal of Primordium - very strong in this matchup
    Solemnity stops Walking Ballista, but then, so does Stony Silence, Phyrexian Revoker, and Suppression Field. Solemnity and Revoker can both prevent the infinitely large Walking Ballista though.
    Essence Warden - not an enchantment but very easy to grab with Green Sun's Zenith. if they have two Ballistas Trinket Mage in hand it doesn't really work though.
    Doomwake Giant - can prevent them setting up, but can't do anything about them building up mana and dropping Food Chain + critters in the same turn.

Infect

Humility - not as great here since they can always just pump+berserk a guy even if it's normal damage.
    Spot removal - pretty solid here honestly, they don't run a super abundance of threats, and Ixalan's Binding is particularly good
    Doomwake Giant - Really strong but can be slow against some of their hands
    Solemnity - really, really strong here, probably the single best option in this matchup
    Engineered Plague - can be powerful but hard to avoid backlash against your Argothians in this matchup.

Alright I'm tapped out for now, but thoughts?

Site Contributor
    Apr 2011
    Orlando, FL

Quote Originally Posted by SpatulaOfTheAges View Post
    Song of the Dryads - mediocre but give you non-white options
    It should be noted that Song of the Dryads works well against Omnitell as well. If Song is "showed in" there is no instance while your aura is attaching to Omniscience that the Omnti player could respond to with say a Trickbind for free.

Could also, attach to a Emrakul if showed in as well, but couldn't be cast and attached since it targets on cast.

It's also nice that it is a flexible enchantment that can "turn off" special lands.

Thread Information