Page 5 of 282 FirstFirst 1234567891555105 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Solitaire (Enchantress)

Undefined Fantastic Object

Oct 2006
    Waterloo, Canada

Re: [DTW] Enchantress (Solitaire)

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    Yes! I have a reason to finish Enchantress. Well what would a build with replentish look like. I am probably running 2 MD and 1 SB like a lot of people, but what gets cut main? Any lists?
    I'm currently trying 2 maindeck in place of wisdom and justice. I feel I still need wisdom on some occasions, though.
    She said, "You're broken."
    "So is your face." replied the Tarmogoyf.

I think that the auto-cut is clearly a holistic wisdom. Everything I said defending it like a month and a half ago, I take back. Replenish is like Hanukkah and my birthday just overlapped. In comparison, Wisdom is like finding that last quarter you need to pay for your load of laundry.

I'd also consider cutting a fourth sterling grove. I'm not sure that cutting justice entirely is the best idea. It's awful powerful in that if you have, say, one win condition, an EP, justice, and a ghostly prson out when EE for 3 pops, you geddon thresh, or at least pwn their bears. Makes people think twice before blowing stuff up. So, either that, or an elephant grass. I need to test. Which prolly won't happen for like a week or two. I must meditate on this.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Wow, can't believe this deck is still alive and back in the LMF. I've been in hiatus for two semesters and glad i missed the whole Flash nonsense...

I tried my deck out against people on MWS with the Replenish...My deck is WGu, but I'll try to flesh out the differences:

20 lands (with 2 Tropical Islands instead of two Taigas)
    20 "Essentials" (Argothian, Presence, Exploration, Utopia, Elephant Grass)

// Win
    1 Words of Wind
    1 Sacred Mesa
    1 Decree of Justice

// Lock
    3 Sterling Grove
    3 Solitary Confinement

// Random 1 of's and 2 of
    2 Mirri's Guile
    1 Parallax Wave
    1 Karmic Justice
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 City of Solitude
    1 Seal of Primordium

// REPLENISH!
    2 Replenish

// Side
    1 Replenish
    1 Karmic Justice
    1 Aura of Silence
    2 City of Solitude
    1 Sacred Ground
    1 Null Chamber
    1 Ground Seal
    2 Spiritual Focus
    3 Rule of Law
    1 In the Eye of Chaos

Deck Choices:

Words of Wind -

Ok, this is the non-standard decklist, but I still advocate this build. In my opinion, drawing a Words of War early isn't optimal because, though you may have parts of your engine up, you aren't going to be killing them in the early turns 5-8. But, if you have draw into Words of Wind during this time, you can have them proceed to pick up pieces of their board while you pick up lands to be replayed via Exploration, which is far more costly to them compared to the 6-12 (non-lethal) damage you might inflict upon them during this time. Actually, I used to get wins at tournaments when I played Words of Wind and made them scoop their board by turn 6-7 without actually inflicting damage. I don't run the infinite version with Cloud of Faeries because I find that to be overkill; you just want them to pick up ANYTHING really, because with all the mana accel you have with Utopia Sprawl, Exploration, and Serra's Sanctum, you're way ahead of them in terms of returnable cards.

I do appreciate the fact that Words of War can burn critters too, though, but I use Parallax Wave to stop the really annoying ones.

Also, I added Decree of Justice because of the prevalence of Meddling Mages in my area (Also another reason why I chose Words of Wind and not War; people usually name War and I chuckle inwardly.)

Mirri's Guile vs. Sylvan Library - Mirri's Guile works under Confinement, so it helps during those times when you have to throw it up early and you only have one enchantress to support it. That and the cheaper casting cost gives it the slight edge to library, though I'm 55/45 on this issue.

Parallax Wave - Used against Meddling mages and random critter jank. I suppose if I splashed red, Immolation would be a better choice, but there's never anything wrong with taking care of multiple random critter threats. I recently used it against a life deck to stop his nomads/spiratulist nonsense by removing them before both got into play.

Less Sterling Groves/Confinement - I'm not sure why but 3 has always worked for me. Since there's relatively few slots for the toolbox, and other 1 of's need to get in so I cut them both by 1. I'd cut them anyway to put in the 2 Replenishes.

Replenish - Very awesome. There needs to be at least 2 of them in this deck, period. Man, I used to run Rofellos's Gift in this slot and now the deck just seems to hum so much better. I'd cram in more sac stuff if I could to max this card's usefulness out. Even if it only brings back a spent Sterling Grove or Elephant Grass, it is still too awesome. Holistic Wisdom is terrible in comparison.

In the Eye of Chaos - You know, I've actually never gotten this out against any combo player, but I've only tested a handful of times against Iggy, Solidarity, etc. Eh, I just put it in because I was running blue and just because I could, but I can't verify whether this card is any better than just a Rule of Law. Maybe just acts as RoL 5 if necessary.

The sideboard always needs tweaking and is definitely meta-dependent. I still dislike using Rule of Law, but I guess there's really no other way to put in more combo hate.

The one thing I hate/love about this deck is how tight the slots are after you get the 40 so-called essential cards out of the way (lands, engine, accelrants, and Elephant Grass). I still don't think Replenish will bring this deck more T8's than before, but it sure as hell is fun to bring the party back after Tranquilty, Tempest of Light, Deed, Explosives, etc.

There are decks that still use Deed and Explosives out there, right?
    Making people sideboard Tempest of Light/Tranquility since 2005

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Your deck only has 58 cards so I recommend that you up the grove and confinement count to 4. I like you list. I run DoJ too just because of the uncounterable win con. I also think ghostly prison would be some good. I run between 1-3 because they just own once you get them down. Still testing their usefulness. I mostly just run 2. Good list though.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Sorry for double post

So I still need to finish this. Here is my list.

Land 20
    4 Savannah
    3 Taiga
    5 Forest
    2 Plains
    2 Serra's Sanctum
    4 Windswept Heath

Engine 8
    4 Enchantress Presence
    4 Argothian Enchantress

Win 3
    1 Words of War
    1 Sacred Mesa
    1 Decree of Justice

Lock 5
    4 Solitary Confinement
    1 Squee, Goblin Nabob

Accel 8
    4 Exploration
    4 Utopia Sprawl

Goods 17
    2 Replenish
    4 Sterling Grove
    3 Elephant Grass
    2 Ghostly Prison
    2 Mirri's Guile
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 City of Solitude
    1 Seal of Primordium
    1 Seal of Fire

Sideboard 15
    1 Replenish
    3 Rule of Law
    2 Choke
    1 City of Solitude
    2 Spiritual Focus
    1 Null Chamber
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Seal of Fire
    1 Immolation
    1 Sacred Ground
    1 Karmic Justice

Thoughts before I buy?

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

I don't think Squee is all that good. You only want him when Confinement is down. Being a 1-of, the chances of you having Confinement, having Squee, but not being able to maintain the lock w/o him are nil. I also think Library is better than Guile, since it works with WoW and can actually draw you extra cards.
    Team ICBE

Try not to wake up on fire.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Yeah maybe not. I just really like him and gets the opponent to scoop . Guile is in there because it works under confinement. If I drop squee, I will definitely keep this in though. Further thoughts?

Hard Gay Turbo!
    Feb 2006
    Dumfries, Va

Is there any reason in particular that you're running more than one Taiga? Three seems unnecessary considering you're running both fetches and Utopia Sprawls. I would try to fit a couple more basic lands in there.
    The unicorns were the most recognizable magic the fairies possessed, and they sent them to those worlds where belief in the magic was in danger of failing altogether. After all, there has to be some belief in magic--however small--for any world to survive. --Terry Brooks--(The Black Unicorn)

Team Unicorn: Majestic bringers of doom and destruction. Need proof? Ask and you shall receive....
    Quote Originally Posted by Hanni
    On another note... is this a joke thread or what? The deck doesn't seem all that bad but the short deck description seems like your making a joke and there is no detailed card descriptions at all. There is also a post on the Proven Forums discussing that this deck beats everything and autoloses to ATS and I'm a little in the dark here. I sense sarcasm but the deck doesn't seem all that bad...

It's necessary to have the two Taigas because the deck's primary win condition is a red card. While it does leave us open to a little more waste hate, a goblins player who snatches a taiga can keep me off red all day - I'll keep my sanctums, thanks.

Raising the count of basics is also kind of a moot point. The suggested decklist plays eight (6/2) and, in my experiance, the first fetch is always for a basic forest.

I suppose you are correct to say that it's unnecessary to run two taigas, but I'm going to keep it up. Without enough opportunity to play and get results from a 1 taiga list, I'll allow my irrational fear of having my turn 1 taiga wasted, holistic wisdom (do we even play that anymore?) needled, windswept heath needled, and an engineered plague on pegasus on the board to dictate my actions. 2 taigas, end of story.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Ok so it's the first match I ever piloted this deck outside of the 2-Man Tourneys, and I'm playing online. And I get the Enchantress mirror. Not even kidding. Decks that have annoying mirrors shouldn't turn popular.

As my head hurts and I don't quite know what I'm doing with this deck, Lonelybaritone or any other experts, what's your plan in the Enchantress mirror?

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    As my head hurts and I don't quite know what I'm doing with this deck, Lonelybaritone or any other experts, what's your plan in the Enchantress mirror?
    Short answer: Aura of Silence

Long answer: I'm not really sure, to be honest. Being as nobody else has two moats sitting around, I'm really lacking a compotent test partner. But, with the recent unbanning of Replenish, I think we'll have to worry about running into enchantress sitting across from us sometime in the not-too-distant future.

Hmm...

My first thought is resolution of confinement. That would end the whole problem of WOW (assuming you're up against the more sucessful red version). Then, assuming your opponent is running Sacred Mesa (or the less worrisome Words of Wilding) I'd try to lock down a ghostly prison, or, if you're running the double moat version, an elephant grass. The ideal thing woudl be the to get your opponent to have one (or none) Groves in play around the pivotal turn 5-7 (not being worried about creatures or actual combo you won't have to waste time digging for moat or paying for an elephant grass). I say turn 5-7 because through your (hopefully assembled) draw engine you'll have hit at least one land a turn, you'll have a relatively full hand, and ... well, I guess I don't have a third reason.

If they have double grove and confinement, pray that they don't have squee. I really have to tell people to stop playing him. If they go Grove/grove/confinement, you should offer a draw. Remind them that you too are playign enchantress; hope that they don't demand to see squee.

This reminds me of the situation at Kaddy's latest DLD, when Zach Fine (who ripped me off for that plateau, thank you very much) asked me for tech for the goblins matchup. I answered flippantly, "Plague." This is the same sort of thing: Our pyrokenisis is Aura of Silence. Otherwise, it'll be mostly up to the luck of the draw. Deed, maybe? I reckon that MD'd a second Aura of Silence will help alot against artifact based combo, decks that play pernicous deed, and the chalice agro (5/3) matchup.

Cleansing Meditation!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Or Calming Verse.

Seriously though, it comes down to Aura of Silence, Serra's Sanctum, and to a lesser extent, Sterling Grove.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Hi!
    I have to raise two questions concerning the main board:

1.) Is the red splash really needed? Its quite plain to me that Words of War is better then Words of Wilding -but the cards are basically doing the same (winning the game). Its just that Words of Wilding is a bit slower. I personally dont like getting manascrewed or make the manabase more unstable just for one or two cards, which can be replaced very well by others.

2.) Why dont you play Wild Growth? I like to run a full playset of them along with Explorations and Sprawls. The old Extended lists also used to play Wild Growth and Fertile Ground as a 4-of. It ensures to lay down an Enchantress Presence second turn and makes your manabase more consistent. Its always a nice topdeck, beacuse it replaces itself in terms of card(s) AND mana-investment.
    Last edited by strom; 06-28-2007 at 09:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by strom View Post
    1.) Is the red splash really needed? Its quite plain to me that Words of War is better then Words of Wilding -but the cards are basically doing the same thing (winning the game). Its just that Words of Wilding is a bit slower. I personally dont like getting manascrewed or make the manabase more unstable just for one or two cards, which can be replaced very well by others.
    Yes. Very yes. Having two taigas, or one, as afro suggested, isn't that problematic. What kind of mana screw are you talking about? If it's the inability to get white mana, then I don't see how it'd be different from it being just a basic forest. If it's the inablility to get red mana, that's why we run 4 fetches and 4 sprawls - shouldn't bee that much of an issue. If it is, just pump out Sacred Mesa tokens and pegasus them to death.

Secondly, I don't understand why you'd want to use words of wilding over sacred mesa. While it's only vulnerable to double engineered plague, I don't think it'd be that big a difference. Pegasuses fly, and that means you don't have to burn your own moat to kick some ass. Also, the ability to kill an opponent without passing the turn is always (maybe not always, but I cna't think of an example where it's advantageous) better than passing the turn.

Quote Originally Posted by SillyBilly
    2.) Why dont you play Wild Growth? I like to run a full playset of them along with Explorations and Sprawls. The old Extended lists also used to play Wild Growth and Fertile Ground as a 4-of. It ensures to lay down an Enchantress Presence second turn and makes your manabase more consistent. Its always a nice topdeck, beacuse it replaces itself in terms of card(s) AND mana-investment.
    I think that opening up to more hate from chalice (you really don't have to sweat until 3 hits, and by then you should have answered it or you deserve to lose) is a pretty poor option. I'd support ESG's (I'm very much against them) before I'd suggest more 1-drop acceleration enchantments. ESG allows you to get the mana when you need it (first turn enchantress, second turn moat, etc), as well as dodges daze. More utopia sprawls set to green seems like a poor idea. That is, of course, based on that I'm thinking about the " : this land adds to your pool when you tap it" as opposed to " : plays on a land, or some madness. Add 1 mana of any color to your pool." That one is an even worse idea. You want your first turn to be acceleration - either exploration, or spralw, or exploration sprawl. Not your turn to to be "acceleration, pass the turn (eat my face, lackey)."

The extra acceleration is unnecessary - I find that at times it sucks to drop a fetch and pass the turn, or, god forbid, live through the thrice-cursed "forest, go" first turn. Ugh.... While more acceleration might be kind of cool, there is no place for it in the deck where it stands.

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

I think I've been wrong on Library being better than Mirri's Guile. I've tried both out, and Guile seems stronger. For one thing, I very rarely have used Library for extra cards: either the four life isn't worth it, or I have an Enchantress affect out that will draw me the next cards anyways. On the other hand, I often wish Library was Guile when I have Confinement out. Library is just worthless crap at that point, and it costs more. Basically, I find myself wishing Library was Guile far more often than the other way around....and you can play Guile on the first turn.
    Team ICBE

Try not to wake up on fire.

Undefined Fantastic Object

Oct 2006
    Waterloo, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone View Post
    The extra acceleration is unnecessary - I find that at times it sucks to drop a fetch and pass the turn, or, god forbid, live through the thrice-cursed "forest, go" first turn. Ugh.... While more acceleration might be kind of cool, there is no place for it in the deck where it stands.
    Although I'm against the inclusion of WG, I wanted more acceleration to take care of combo. Chrome mox was not very impressive, though. Any thoughts?

@ Guile

I support Guile, since I found myself to be stuck in 3 mana with the enchantress, and 1cc>>>>>>>2cc in those situations. Not being dead under confinement was also pretty good.

@Squee

I was running him for a while, and he served me well, but I cannot help but think that he does not deserve that extra space. I'd like to see him in multiples in SB, though.
    Last edited by C.P.; 07-01-2007 at 12:15 PM.
    She said, "You're broken."
    "So is your face." replied the Tarmogoyf.

Treshplayer
    Dec 2003
    VA

Re: [Deck] Enchantress (Solitaire)

I've been meaning to post in here for a while, but haven't gotten around to it until now. This is the Enchantress list Obfuscate Freely and I have been working on. It's obviously very different from most of the lists in this thread, but I'll do my best to explain the more unusual card choices.

3x Argothian Enchantress
    4x Enchantress's Presence
    4x Living Wish

4x Exploration
    4x Utopia Sprawl
    3x Wild Growth

4x Elephant Grass
    4x Solitary Confinement
    3x Sterling Grove
    1x City of Solitude
    1x In the Eye of Chaos
    1x Seal of Cleansing/Primordium
    1x Words of Wind
    1x Dovescape

1x Replenish

3x Chrome Mox
    2x Elvish Spirit Guide
    5x Forest
    4x Windswept Heath
    1x Wooded Foothills
    3x Savannah
    2x Tropical Island
    1x Plains

Sideboard
    4x Chalice of the Void
    2x Replenish
    1x In the Eye of Chaos
    1x Karmic Justice
    1x Seal of Cleansing/Primordium
    1x Argothian Enchantress
    1x Meddling Mage
    1x Serra's Sanctum
    1x Squee, Goblin Nabob
    1x Eternal Witness
    1x Gigapede

First of all, Living Wish is amazing. Its primary purpose is, of course, to allow the deck to run a full eleven Enchantresses, which is pretty good. Almost as relevant, however, is the ability to get Sanctum. This deck never draws Sanctum before it's good and always finds it when it wants to go off. Sanctum can't really fill a land slot, because it isn't effective until turn two or three, so it's essentially a mana source that fills a spell slot. That's acceptable, because Sanctum is so powerful, but Living Wish is better. Paying an extra 1G for the added versatility is well worth it. Wish also gives the deck access to a full set of Squees without having to run dead cards.

We also run a lot more acceleration than most builds. As I see it, the deck always wants to start drawing cards on turn three. That either means playing an Enchantress on turn two or playing an Enchantress on turn three with mana to spare. If the Enchantress in question is either Presence or Wish, that will require acceleration. With Wild Growth, the deck has eleven ways to generate mana to play an Enchantress that also draw cards for free after one is in play. Chrome Mox and ESG give the deck some explosive openings and sometimes let Wish get an Enchantress into play on turn two. Card disadvantage isn't really a problem, because if there's one resource this deck has in abundance, it's cards.

Blue is in the deck for In the Eye of Chaos (great anti-control card that happens to hose some combo decks), Meddling Mage in the sideboard (so that Wish can give it access to combo hate in game one), and Words of Wind. Blue could be cut for red, and Words of War would be a fine replacement for Words of Wind, but red doesn't really offer much else, so I think blue is the better call right now.

Dovescape serves two important functions: it can win the game or provide protection from pretty much everything, and sometimes does both. If you have a potentially vulnerable lock like Confinement + Squee, Dovescape can turn it into a hard lock. If you have a Words of Wind in play before playing Dovescape, you can bounce it so that it only counters your opponent's spells. Combined with one or more Enchantress effect, it is an effective win condition, especially against combo decks.

We don't run cards like Ghostly Prison or Moat, preferring instead to run full sets of the more efficient Elephant Grass and Solitary Confinement. We also eschew Sylvan Library and Mirri's Guile, because this deck doesn't intend to see many upkeeps or draw steps. Those cards are good against control, but I think there are better options against control.

Most of the sideboard cards that are not fairly standard are things I have already mentioned. Chalice is our answer to both aggro-control and combo (the deck's worst matchup). Witness allows a second Wish to be a threat against control. Gigapede is generally used as a win condition after bouncing all of the opponent's permanents, though it might occasionally be decent on its own. Gigapede is probably the most questionable card in the board.

It should be stressed that this is a combo deck, but rather than win the game on turn four, it tries to assemble a combination of cards that shuts off the opponents ability to win the game, then finishes the game within the next few turns. The typical gameplan is:
    Turn 1: Play acceleration.
    Turn 2: Play an Enchantress.
    Turn 3: Draw cards; play an Elephant Grass or Confinement if possible/necessary.
    Turn 4-5: Draw cards, play some combination of Confinement/Grove/Enchantress.
    Turn 6-7: Draw lots more cards, find Words of Wind and Wish for Sanctum, bounce the opponents permanents, play win condition.
    Turn 8+: Bounce anything the opponent plays, attack with Gigapede or bird tokens, set up whatever additional protection might be relevant, win the game.

The typical Words of Wind combo in this deck works as follows. Start with one Exploration and at least two Enchantress effects in play, with one Exploration in hand. Play Serra's Sanctum using the Exploration in play, tap for a lot of white mana. Play Exploration; use two of the white mana to activate Words of Wind twice. Return Sanctum and the used Exploration. Play Sanctum using the newly played Exploration. Repeat a large number of times. As you run out of green mana to play Explorations, but generate a large amount of white mana, you can start returning a green source instead of Sanctum. Essentially, you pay to untap a land, bounce two of the opponent's permanents, and draw a card for every Enchantress you control beyond the second.

There is no way to go infinite with Words of Wind in this deck, though a Cloud of Faeries in the board would give it one. This is not a problem since the above method will almost always bounce all of the opponent's permanents. Infinite mana plus a win condition that runs on mana would allow the deck to win in one turn, but that would only be relevant when it goes to time. I don't think it's worth finding room for Cloud and something like Ambassador Laquatus.

In summary, I've been very happy with this approach to the deck. There's still room for tweaking, but if I were to play Enchantress in a tournament tomorrow, this is the list I would use.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. nitewolf "Professor" 9, Ph.D. View Post
    I personally like spell snare against 2 cc spells, but it really isn't good against spells that aren't 2 cc. With engineered explosives, it is a good card to have against non-land permanents with converted mana cost equal to what you set the explosives to, but it doesn't hit those that have differing cc. Plus, engineered explosives has sunburst.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

I remember the main critisizm hapy gilmore had was that there are only 16 lands in the deck but 4 exploration. I haven't tested the deck out but it seems like a fair critisizm, maybe I'll have to goldfish with your list later on this week.

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

Happy Gilmore complained to me as well about the land in his deck. I was however uninterested because after 30 minutes of complaining I kind of wanted to eat broken glass. But yeah, maybe the deck needs more land. And less bitching about it. I swear to you, I almost started stapling my arm to the table.
    they haunt minds...

Thread Information