Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Unlocking Legacy - European Developments

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

Re: Unlocking Legacy - European Developments

You DO know that 16 blue cards is the accepted minimum for supporting FOW, right? I played Dragon for the longest time with FOW and only 15 blue cards total and it was peachy. If you actually test, you'll see what I mean. Sixteen blue cards for FOW is fine if you only expect that you will need to cast FOW once. In Affinity (or Dragon for that matter), such an expectation is acceptable. Your clock is fast enough so that you don't need more blue cards.

I fail to see how you think the deck fails to support FOW. You're going up against about nine years of a tested, practiced and true axiom.

And as far as that deck v. FS, while it is a topic for another thread that I suggest you open if you are interested in discussing this further, FS does not run eight free creatures and Cranial Freaking Plating.

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

Quote Originally Posted by hi-val View Post
    You DO know that 16 blue cards is the accepted minimum for supporting FOW, right? I played Dragon for the longest time with FOW and only 15 blue cards total and it was peachy. If you actually test, you'll see what I mean. Sixteen blue cards for FOW is fine if you only expect that you will need to cast FOW once.
    Were you supporting Force AND Chrome Mox with 15? I've never tested it, but I have played my fair share of FS, and that does seem like a stretch.

I personally like to see the invention coming from overseas, but sometimes it does seem like we're playing slightly different formats. Still, we were all given the ability to judge decks, some better than others, and the ideas might lead to something that is more playable in the US meta, so keep the lists coming.

Quote Originally Posted by hi-val View Post
    I'm going to test out Affownity and perhaps dedicate an article to it.
    I was going to mock you for writing this, but then I re-read the article, and I guess that he got first is not so ridiculous to say.

I like the look of the deck. But I feel that affinity loses so much of its greatness by losing the deciple. And losing red too really sucks. No pilar, no fling, no ... lightning bolt? Atog. Atog was what I was looking for. But losing the deciple is the biggest blow. I think that this changes affinity from the super-fast combo deck into something more like gro. Well, with an actual card draw engine (not a card improvement engine), and more resistance to chalices and yard hate, it might even be better. I'll pick up the uncommons and such that I don't own. But I'm not sure this'll be good. RGBSA still runs melt-down, or seeds of innocence, or massive artifact removal. Which means (in my first "PLAY ENCHANTRESS" moment of this post) that they aren't playing tranquility or revrent silence, which is fine by me. What I'm trying to say, I think, is that your whole fleet of affinity guys might suck, if they live through turn 3 or 4. I'd also like to see SOFI in here.

Y'know, I might drop the whole "This deck is terrible/write about enchantress" mentality altogher and say this: Write an article on affinity. Discuss the difference between mantle and vial (I was suckered into playing the first before switching to the second), the merits of playing RB, URB, or mono-U. And differences between it and FS, an issue that I'm sure will be brought up. Maybe I'm just too much of a nub to decide or myself.

In closing, write about enchantress.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Insane Anarchists Get Mean
    Aug 2005
    NY State

I think some of you are missing the fact that Chrome Mox is somewhat an afterthought in this deck.

What Chrome Mox does:

When you've got FoW and no other blue card, it allows you to drop Ravager on turn 1

When you've got blue cards and no FoW, Ravager (or Chalice@1 etc) on turn 1.

When you've got FoW, 2 other blue cards, Ravager (etc) turn 1.

When you've got FoW, 1 other blue card, still creates +1 mana for your 12 Affinity creatures.

I think some serious testing is in order, as this deck looks like it has some game, and would be exceedingly simple for Extended players to pick up and understand.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

not a single comment on the pyroclasm deck? i started to play a quite similiar list and i think it's really, really good - except for its namesake which incredibly useless in most match-ups unless Goblins is overrunning your meta.
    imho, with a bit more tweaking, the deck really does have potential.

about landstill: just asking due to my inexperience with the format: is Gifts Ungiven too slow for legacy? if not, is running a few Gifts along with a single copy of Petrified Field a good idea? it would give the deck the "tenacious" combo which is abused by U/W Urzatron in Extended.

the Lich deck looks like fun, but 4 Grim Tutors? there are better ways to rape your wallet.

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

Barook, the reason no one has commented on the clasm deck is that there is both a thread for it (E.R.A.) and a thread for the article written about that particular build (Unlocking Legacy: Pyroclasm.dec) so it is neither a European deck nor a new deck here. Basically, I think people have had their say about it and there's no reason to repeat themselves.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone View Post
    Write an article on affinity. Discuss the difference between mantle and vial (I was suckered into playing the first before switching to the second), the merits of playing RB, URB, or mono-U.
    Someone's already gotten a bit of a start on this very topic. But, at least in Legacy, the discussion is far from over.

I took the U/b version out for a cruise on MWS last night, and had my ass handed to me by someone playing Binswanger.dec, of all things. Pyroclasm. That is all.

Edit - Well, that's not all, one game I had the turn 1 Seat, turn 2 Vault, Cloud, Cloud, Plating play then I ran into the PClasm (again). I FoW'd pitching Thoughtcast, Hoverguard or something; he FoW'd pitching Brainstorm. I laughed my ass off. I haven't had my ass beat like that in a while. :)

Thread Information