Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real cards but..

Real cards but..

Can you use real cards but with a proxy art? a dark ritual but you change the drawing of the card?

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Re: Real cards but..

Quote Originally Posted by radley View Post
    Can you use real cards but with a proxy art? a dark ritual but you change the drawing of the card?
    Officially, this isn't allowed, but most of the time, judges allow it as long as you don't alter the art so much, you can't tell anymore which card it is.

Every player must be able to tell which card(s) you have on the table, by just looking on the art. As long as you only change the face of a caracter, or alter a background, everything will be fine.

If you change the art of the Dark Ritual, so it looks like it is a Counterspell (asuming you can draw that well), judges won't allow you to play with it, since most opponenets will think you are playing a counterspell.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Insert Clever Adjetives Here
    Jun 2006
    Austin Texas

Read this article it will tell you everything you need to know.
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/feature/34
    The Firebrothers
    Scrubbing out of tournements since 2005.

"Large in the margin
    my drama unfolds behind closed doors...."

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

As long as the text box and card name, and casting cost are visable, then it doesn't matter.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

Quote Originally Posted by Brushwagg View Post
    As long as the text box and card name, and casting cost are visable, then it doesn't matter.
    Also, the art has to be recognisable. It's the head judge's call, as mentioned.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Firebrother, thanks for the link but it didn't answer all of my question though. Still helpful.

What if I made the goblin in the goblin lackey look like batman?

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

That SHOULD be okay, but the Head Judge has the final say if it is or not. The rule of thumb, like they said before, is if the name, cost, (although less important, you really shouldn't mess with these anyway) type line, and text box are legible, it should be allowed.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    That SHOULD be okay, but the Head Judge has the final say if it is or not. The rule of thumb, like they said before, is if the name, cost, (although less important, you really shouldn't mess with these anyway) type line, and text box are legible, it should be allowed.
    Again, you forgot the art. The art should not be modified to the point where it is no longer recognisable.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Epic Library
    Nov 2004
    Syracuse New York

I don't see the big deal with art. RTFC.
    Quote Scrumdogg @ Amrod's:
    "Didn't you know that Mike Glow invented this format?? We are all just renting it."

The EPIC Syndicate - Grindermen
    Team Disquailified Poster Duey Cheatem & Howe.

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

As you know by now, people don't RTFC, and the DCI actually encourages them not to do so. Their clarion call of "everyone recognizes cards by the art" is not only asinine, it is false, as I recognize a card by its, you know, name. I had Chokes that had the art blacked out and the Kansas Jayhawks logo colored in over the box and they were not allowed in a PTQ, which is bullshit because 1). they were English, and everything but the art was unmarred; 2). they were fucking hot; and 3). the Head Judge was a Hoosiers fan.

The moral is: don't RTFC because it isn't required.

The moral should be: learn to correlate the card's name with its text and shut the fuck up.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

It's just that arts of goblins aren't cool. Goblin card's art sucks arse so I'd rather modify their face so they'd look cool.

Modifying the arts shouldn't be a problem because it's not our fault we don't appreciate the art. Well, just don't make the card look like another card because it's naughty.

What does RTFC means by the way?

?
    Dec 2003
    High stakes cash games

What does RTFC means by the way?
    READ THE F-ING CARD
    Team NeverWin: We just top 8 a lot.

Too lazy to post.

What if you black out the art then write the name of that card in the art. e.g. opt card, black opt card then put the word opt really big, they'd be stupid not to read it

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

This reminds me of a picture I saw where someone wrote "NOT A SMOKESTACK" on top of a Smokestack to spite judges for this sort of thing. Can anyone remember who that was, or provide a link?
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    This reminds me of a picture I saw where someone wrote "NOT A SMOKESTACK" on top of a Smokestack to spite judges for this sort of thing. Can anyone remember who that was, or provide a link?
    http://www.mtgthesource.com/forums/s...2&postcount=61
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Damn, just wrote "not a smokestack" on art? How about the real artist of the card altering the image. e.g. Sliver queen's art altered by ron spears. Who ever made that rule about the art is stupid. If they encourage the players to play and just recognise the card by the art, maybe we can change the text box then and maybe we can draw pictures on it.

Apr 2006
    Worcester/Boston, MA

How about the real artist of the card altering the image. e.g. Sliver queen's art altered by ron spears.
    When artists alter art, they typically do so in a way that is relevant to the original piece. For example, toasting marshmellows on firebreathing or Hulk/Spiderman/Whatever FoWs. The problem arises when you erase the card's art completely and replace it with your own, so that it may not resemble the card whatsoever and can lead to miscommunication or even cheating.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggl3s
    Ya, your such an amazing player iOwn (should be changed to iPwn FTW) you surpass me with your amazing chalice 1 skillzorz

What about the smokestack that only has "not a smokestack" on the art? Didn't remove the art whatsoever.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

He did that AFTER the other cards were pulled out to spite the judge.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Oct 2003
    Rochester, NY

You realize that 'recognize by art' is done to make sure that people can, you know, recognize different-languaged cards? Otherwise known as CAN YOU READ SIMPLIFIED CHINESE? NO?! I DON'T THINK SO.

Thread Information