Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Real cards but..

Re: Real cards but..

If foreign cards are allowed, maybe we can now edit the text box and the name of the card as long as the art is recognisable and the casting cost. Lol, I'm going to erase the text box and the name of the card and I will say to the judge it's chinese anyway

I will always ask for a judge everytime my opponent play a foreign card or textless even if I know the card, especially if I won the first game or if I'm winning.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Foreign cards are allowed. Grand Prixs can draw people from a large number of languages, so it is inherent that foreign cards are allowed.

Also, utterly destroying the name and text box of a card is not wise, since some cards have multiple arts. In short, don't do anything really stupid (it also devalues the card, so be careful with the rarer ones)
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

I can rub it out with alcohol anyway ^_^

So textbox and name of the card is not important but the art is important? How stupid is that?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by radley View Post
    I will always ask for a judge everytime my opponent play a foreign card or textless even if I know the card, especially if I won the first game or if I'm winning.
    If the judge thinks you're stalling, he can give you a warning for it, regardless of whether or not what you are doing is within the rules. If he believes your sole purpose for doing something is to stall, he will warn you, and if you continue to do it the punishment will escalate.

I don't know chinese. Unless someone shows me an english version card. Oh well, I guess i can only do that to not so popular cards ^_^

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

You can actually just ask your opponent what the card is. They are obligated to tell you the truth. If you think they are lieing or making a mistake you may call of judge (or if the don't remember some of the card's rules text)
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.

Nah, I'll just do it to delay the game. I'll only do it if the card is not that popular. Punish those foreign and textless cards users

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

I'll just do it to delay the game.
    This isn't funny. Delaying the game is cheating and, if done too often, can result in severe punishment.

Using foreign cards gives the user an advantage if the opponent knows the card but forgot something about that foreign card.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Using foreign cards gives the user an advantage if the opponent knows the card but forgot something about that foreign card.
    Scenario 1:

Your opponent is Chinese, you are American. He uses Simplified Chinese cards. You use American English cards. Who is receiving the unfair advantage?

Scenario 2:

Your exact scenario. If you aren't sure about something on a card ask your opponent. He MUST tell you the truth. If he himself is unsure call a judge.

Scenario 3:

Your exact scenario, except without asking. Sucks to be you. There is no stigma for a player using a card of a foreign language.

Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    Scenario 1:

Your opponent is Chinese, you are American. He uses Simplified Chinese cards. You use American English cards. Who is receiving the unfair advantage?

Scenario 2:

Your exact scenario. If you aren't sure about something on a card ask your opponent. He MUST tell you the truth. If he himself is unsure call a judge.

Scenario 3:

Your exact scenario, except without asking. Sucks to be you. There is no stigma for a player using a card of a foreign language.

Scenario 1:

You can't understand chinese but your chinese opponent understands english. I guess you know who got the advantage. Sometimes, you just need to look at your opponent's card again to make sure what it does but if it's foreign, you can't do that.

Scenario 2:

Your opponent told you was wrong but you agreed because you thought he was right. You lost and after the tournament you found out that you would've won that game if you only knew the card's real text is.

Scenario 3:

Won't happen because I'll always ask the judge so I can delay the game.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Scenario 1: You know what cards do, because as someone who invests time and money into this game, you've actually learned what all the cards do. If not, call the Judge.

Scenario 2: Never rely on your opponent for any information. If you have a question, ask a judge.

Scenario 3: Intentionally utilizing the clock to gain an advantage in a match is a penalty, potentially a severe one. If I were judging the event, and you called me over to ask what a card did more than one time, I would be suspicious, and you'd be in trouble. Stalling the game is cheating, and you can be issued game losses or worse.

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nightmare View Post
    Scenario 3: Intentionally utilizing the clock to gain an advantage in a match is a penalty, potentially a severe one. If I were judging the event, and you called me over to ask what a card did more than one time, I would be suspicious, and you'd be in trouble. Stalling the game is cheating, and you can be issued game losses or worse.
    Unless said card is Humility, strange triggers, or some complex interactions are taking place. I think under those circumstances a judge would be understanding. But for most other situations, if you want others to take you seriously as a player, it's in your best interest to know how all these cards work.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'm gonna bang noobslayer's sister. Then I'm gonna do it again.
    How come it needs to be a holiday to bang noobslayer's sister?
    Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    So, we should call it Peter, Paul, and Mary? Or we're supposed to go outside and start sucking dick?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nightmare View Post
    Scenario 1: You know what cards do, because as someone who invests time and money into this game, you've actually learned what all the cards do. If not, call the Judge.

Scenario 2: Never rely on your opponent for any information. If you have a question, ask a judge.

@3- You'd be seeing more of me if I were in a tourney you'll judge if my opponent has foreign cards because I'm not familiar with most of the cards in legacy.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

That's your responsibility, not your opponents, nor the judge's. Part of being a tournament player is the assumption that you have some idea of what cards do and how to play the game.

EPIC awesomeness
    Mar 2004
    Baldwinsville/Oswego, NY

Or Radley could just be ignored so this thread doesn't degenerate into useless posts..... oh, wait.... I wish I was a mod...
    EPIC Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    I personally like spell snare against 2 cc spells, but it really isn't good against spells that aren't 2 cc. With engineered explosives, it is a good card to have against non-land permanents with converted mana cost equal to what you set the explosives to, but it doesn't hit those that have differing cc. Plus, engineered explosives has sunburst.
    -My hero

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Agent View Post
    For some odd reason, I find shackles to be superb against creature oriented decks. Of course, the logic behind it is the sooner you can play and activate shackles the better. Although, shackles definitely has it's late game uses as well. It basically counts as a threat and a removal spell simultaneously which is relevant against "not quite shroud" creatures. Also, you should really be running a playset of engineered plagues against merfolks. They can dismantle tribal decks so run more of them.
    -I don't think this one was a joke...

Hey don't touch my shoulder, okay? I saved the day!
    Aug 2006
    mn

I was at a large DCI sanctioned tourney a year or so ago and I was playing with opts that I blacked out all but the girl on the pic with a sharpie. About 70% of the pic is blacked out.

I was beating the crap out of a whiny burn player and he called a judge on my opts. The judge told me that the card was legal as long as the name, casting cost, power / toughness and text box were unmodified, the card was legal...

This particular judge didn't strike me as being the brightest but that was his ruling... Using his logic I could have been disqualified for using flash of insights that the artists signed over the text but nobody saw those.

There should be a rule for altered art of cards. Not just the preference of the judge. If there is already a rule about that please post here.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

From the Floor Rules:

103. Card Interpretation
    Cards are interpreted using the Oracle card reference. During sanctioned tournaments, players must refer to this version of a card to settle disputes concerning the interpretation of a card’s wording or abilities. Card abilities are based on card text, not artwork.

This is the only thing in the Floor Rules that mentions artwork.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Enough already.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Thread Information