Thread: Trinisphere and Force of will

Trinisphere and Force of will

If I discard a card to pat alternate casting cost for FOW do I still need to pay 3 to get around the trinisphere?

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Re: Trinisphere and Force of will

Yes,

After all the changes in casting costs have been calculated, Trinisphere checks if it's less that 3, and if it does, makes it cost 3.

Force of Will has it's cost lowered to 0, when paying life and removing a card from the game. After that that, Trinisphere checks if it costs 3 or less. Since it is (it costs 0), trinisphere adds mana untill it costs 3.

So with a Trinisphere out, you can chose to pay the normal cost for it: 3uu, or to pay the alternate cost for it: 1 card removed, 1 life and 3 generic mana.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Basically, Trinisphere overrides everything as far as casting cost goes. You will ALWAYS pay at least 3.

Jan 2006
    Chesapeake, VA

Someone should seriously consider putting up a Trinisphere sticky. We get Trinisphere questions on this forum about once a week.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    Once Solidarity resolves a Meditate the most productive thing you can do with Orim's Chant is to find a nearby tophat and try to toss the Orim's Chant into it to amuse yourself while your opponent finishes his combo.

It's already there. It's called "How to answer your own question".
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Sep 2005
    Boston, MA

Quote Originally Posted by parallax View Post
    Someone should seriously consider putting up a Trinisphere sticky. We get Trinisphere questions on this forum about once a week.
    Wouldn't this consist of one simple phrase: "Yes, you still pay three."?
    Quote Originally Posted by tsabo_tavoc
    Thanks for your reply. I believe it is my wording that has made you unpleasant. My fears were something like Angel Stompy ruling Legacy.

Boy George?
    Oct 2005
    Australia

I have played 8 games on MWS today, using mono-black Stax (with The Abyss) for all of those 8. I've had 5 disputes regarding Trinisphere's interaction with alternate-casting-cost spells (Land Grant, Daze, Force of Will x2, and one instance where my opponent assured me that I couldn't play Chalice for one under a 3-sphere). Most of these opponents wasted no time telling me I was a noob (or Noooooooooooooob, as one put it) and that I should learn the rules before playing MWS. Of course, they tend to disconnect before I can direct them to a ruling.

These idiots are freaking driving me insane. What is so hard to understand about Trinisphere?
    Quote Originally Posted by pi4meterftw View Post
    Still up for more games, although I must say it's pretty silly to play if you're just going to complain about luck irrationally.
    Quote Originally Posted by pi4meterftw
    I think the massive difference is a fluctuatiuon of luck. Against Piceli I drew fairly well, whereas against green one I mulliganned for mana screw reasons twice and for "hand has no answers in it" like 5 times.

It did not work in their favor, therefore you were wrong.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

what about chalice Trini interactions.

does trin chnage the CONVERTED mana cost? making a chalice at 3 counter everything at 3, 2, 1, and 0?

i think it does, but i have many people that say otherwise, but Converted mana cost is just that, the mana cost after conversions and trinishpere is a conversion correct?

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

No, Trinisphere does not change the converted mana cost, it changes the total cost to play the spell. The only thing that affects CMC, AFAIK, is an X in the top right corner.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

can i please get akki to post to verify that...

203.1 The mana cost of a card is indicated by mana symbols near the top of the card.
    203.3 The converted mana cost of an object is a number equal to the total amount of mana in its mana cost, regardless of color.
    This is not hard to look up on your own. You might want to give the rules a read-through.
    -David DeLaney

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

Last edited by Silverdragon; 05-07-2007 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Akki was faster
    "Anybody want some . . . toast?" —Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

thank you all

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

I highly agree with the Trinisphere sticky. But until it's there, here's the short and nontechnical way Trinisphere works.

Take your spell. Deduce it's mana cost. Figure out all the additional costs and subtractive costs. Figure out whatever the bloody hell else might influence the card. Do everything ever first, then and only then apply the Trinisphere's ability if you are for any reason at all paying less than a total of three mana for a spell that you are Playing. Force of Will? Pay . Playing a creature with an Aluren out? Pay . Chainer's Edict with a Jet Medallion? Pay . It's pretty simple. There is absolutely no way to play a spell under Trinisphere of which I am aware without paying three or more mana.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

actually there is...

storm...

but you don't actualy PLAY a spell so your correct...

oh and add Mind's Desire to that list, that gets asked a lot too...

Thread Information