Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Lots of competitive sorta new decks

Samurais suck
    May 2006
    Portland, OR

Re: Lots of competitive sorta new decks

Agreed that Thresh is *slightly* better than MeatHooks against Solidarity in game 1. However, our strong advantage against Goblins more than makes up for that, by far.

I'm not going to sit here and tell people that MeatHooks is better than Thresh. I do think it's interesting that we're having the conversation, though.
    Team Info-Ninja: Shhh... We don't exist.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

The thing about Thresh that makes it nuts is and always will be Mongoose IMO. There are a lot of aggro-control decks out there. And they all get compared to Threshold. How many games have any of you lost to the one lousy Mongoose that swung for 3 five times in a row while your blockers were zapped and countered away? ...and you were holding a bolt or plow...
    That crap steals games. Thresh is still very capable imo.

Jan 2007
    Massachusetts

Affinity has no disruption to stop any combo decks other than racing it, on top of that, it has a very weak Goblin matchup at least against the green build. Affownity has 4 chalice and 4 force, making it very difficult for a lot of combo decks to deal with. Maybe if the deck took out wasteland and splashed black for the sb it would do better, and could turn gobs into an ok matchup. As for the fling build, it needs a lot of work before it will start placing well in tournaments.
    BluffYouOut.com Currently Under Construction, But Coming Soon!
    Team Necro: Playing Decks You Wish You Built First.
    The Most Consistant + Inconsistant Magic Player in History.

"Has anyone seen the latest episode of Lock This Thread?" Peter Rotten

Sep 2005
    new jersey

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomator View Post
    Affinity has no disruption to stop any combo decks other than racing it, on top of that, it has a very weak Goblin matchup at least against the green build. Affownity has 4 chalice and 4 force, making it very difficult for a lot of combo decks to deal with. Maybe if the deck took out wasteland and splashed black for the sb it would do better, and could turn gobs into an ok matchup. As for the fling build, it needs a lot of work before it will start placing well in tournaments.
    I agree. Pyrokinesis is a real bitch in the Goblin MU as well.

The best Affinity has is Cabal Therapy/Stifle for the combo MU, although I haven't tested Affowinity at all.

Jan 2007
    Massachusetts

affownity has the power to get chalice for 0 or 1 on turn one, or of course force. The goblin matchup is really pretty bad though, where it is much better with the original affinity build (while still not being good).

Feb 2007
    Rochester, NY

Quote Originally Posted by BoTS View Post
    That's true, CounterSlivers is quite solid. But do you know what it lost to? Ichorid. Yeah, I'm surprised no one has even so much as mentioned the deck as extremely underplayed and also extremely powerful. Yes, it has a hard time with Crypt, which I'm sure is its biggest argument for not running it, but I've seen it punch through such unlikely odds as double Crypt. It also has needles and Chalice to deal with it. The thing about the deck that makes it so strong is its consistency. It can easily win by turn 4 on a regular basis, even in the face of hate or removal.
    Sorry, I'm not all that familiar with CounterSlivers's match ups.

Don't forget any deck running E. Plague is going to kick Ichorid really hard. It's that 1 toughness thing, not to mention Extirpate will hurt, and a Swords to Plowshares permanently removes it. Though, I'd love to see a list, unless it's some super secretness you plan on unleashing on hapless players later.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Quote Originally Posted by Awesomator View Post
    has anyone tested Affownity? Bane did well in a tourney with it. I don't really like the whole 15 blue card with 4 Force thing, but Force is definitely necessary to make the deck competitive.
    Absurd!
    I dont play that deck..

Why would anyone play Force of Will, Wasteland, and Chalice all in the same deck with affinity cards?
    Now playing real formats.

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

it has a very weak Goblin matchup at least against the green build. As for the fling build, it needs a lot of work before it will start placing well in tournaments.
    Have you tested the Goblins match-up? Its generally 50/50, unless they're running the 4x Tinkerer build. And Affinity has placed well at tournaments: Star City Games Dual for Duals III and IV, The Mana Leak Open 1, and a bunch of European and under-reported tournamets. That's more impressive than most of the decks in the Open forum.
    Team ICBE

Try not to wake up on fire.

Undefined Fantastic Object

Oct 2006
    Waterloo, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by bane_of_the_living View Post
    Why would anyone play Force of Will, Wasteland, and Chalice all in the same deck with affinity cards?
    Maybe because it is reasonable?

I've been testing the deck for a while now, and I felt the deck is pretty good. Goblins matchups is not so hot, but other matchups are better then traditional Affinity.

EDIT: Fine, I lose.
    She said, "You're broken."
    "So is your face." replied the Tarmogoyf.

Magic Wasteland Nomad
    Dec 2004
    Taylors, SC

Quote Originally Posted by C.P. View Post
    Maybe because it is reasonable?

I've been testing the deck for a while now, and I felt the deck is pretty good. Goblins matchups is not so hot, but other matchups are better then traditional Affinity.

Umm sarcasm?
    Team Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten
    |^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
    |.The STFU Truck..|||'""|""\__,_
    | __GTFO 4ever_w_ l||__|__|__|)
    |(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)

Jan 2007
    Massachusetts

Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    Have you tested the Goblins match-up? Its generally 50/50, unless they're running the 4x Tinkerer build. And Affinity has placed well at tournaments: Star City Games Dual for Duals III and IV, The Mana Leak Open 1, and a bunch of European and under-reported tournamets. That's more impressive than most of the decks in the Open forum.
    Ya I have tested the affinity matchup, and it's not a coin flip. Tin Street is better than Tinkerer, and krosan grip is amazing vs affinity. Not to mention that every goblin build also runs pyrokinesis. Mana Leak 1 was when players didn't know the format well and the European meta is completely different. As for the other two tournaments.. The deck is played enough and it's bound to do well somewhere, and that doesn't make it good.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Volt View Post
    Umm, what is this "west coast tournament" you speak of? I do not think there is such a thing. At least not in Legacy.
    QFT. There's really slim pickings around here in terms of respectable Legacy tournaments. I mean, I regularly Top 4 at a local 30+ tourney we have on Fridays in my area, but the meta is so random and scrubby that it's really not worth mentioning.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Thread Information