Page 11 of 42 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141521 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] TES - The EPIC Storm

Re: [DTW] TES - The EPIC Storm

yes, 60 cards is run for a reason, and infact im not even running the last chant in the board, as i like the doomsday better.

hulk flash is going to be banned soon, so im not worried about that...
    Last edited by APriestOfGix; 05-05-2007 at 10:00 PM. Reason: Fixing spelling...

People should shelve TES for the GP, with all of the cards going into people's SB for Hulk Flash, like Leyline of the Void and Trickbind, and the fact that Hulk Flash is superior to TES, it's going to be one hell of an uphill battle for Storm combo.
    Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

how about shelve ALL legacy decks untill after June 1st...

thats what i'm doing...

Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    People should shelve TES for the GP, with all of the cards going into people's SB for Hulk Flash, like Leyline of the Void and Trickbind, and the fact that Hulk Flash is superior to TES, it's going to be one hell of an uphill battle for Storm combo.
    You're nuts.... TES just gets better. We've added Orim's Chant for a reason, right? Well, last I checked, Orim's Chant or Xantid Swarm > Trickbind. Why do I care if Goblins is going Rb to splash Trickbind and Stifle? Good for them, it just makes our job easier.

Do yourself a favor and do what I am doing, if running TES. MD 4x Leyline of the Void. Yes, seriously. Our clock is fast enough that it ruins Hulk Flash, it destroys Thresh as most have no maindeck hate for it, Hurts Iggy Pop, Eliminates Loam, and you get a bye against Rock... you see the point. LotV doesn't just help against Flash so it isn't as dead of a card as alot of people seem to think it is.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Pre-FS we don't truly have to worry alot about Flash. Post-FS, let's just hope it's banned in some way.

EDIT: Not to mention that it isn't very difficult to hardcast LotV if needed against those decks also, although that shouldn't need to happen very often.

The problem tho' is that Flash has Force of Will, Misdirection, Daze, Duress, Orim's Chant and perhaps Muddle the Mixture etc. and that not MDing actual disruption against them just gives them the time to prevent TES from comboing and remove the LV.

The compact versions of Flash can have up to 16 disruption cards, and that's just insane in the combo mirror. You'd need at least 4 Duress and 4 LV MD to stand a chance, and Orim's Chant isn't good against the non-Storm combo mirror and getting them Misdirected is GG.

Flash is even worse post FS, because it's faster than TES, but pre FS, it's still an appr. turn 2 to 3 combo deck with three to four times the disruption, counting Merchant Scroll for Force of Will, and it can SB in Leyline of the Void and Trickbind etc. for the combo mirror.

Flash is inevitable, TES is not, and I've seen Flash just assume the control role and bend TES over the table. I also fail to see how people SBing in more combo hate is good for TES, that just seems to be a logical quagmire.
    Breathweapon, I regret saying this but ... I've been liking you more and more every day.

Orim's Chant is just plain bad for us.

i did some thinking, and if we get chanted at 9 spells, thats game right there, as we can do nothing inresponce.

meaning if you think your opponit is playing chants, you better have a swarm attack, cause even a chant at 5 spells is only going to get chanted back, and your still screwed, although not as much since you can USUALLY recover faster from only losing 5 cards over losing 9.

Also at Flash Hulk, at the GP it's not going to do anything, it will take 1-3 top 8 spots, but it's not going to be the 6 top 8 deck the Post-FS is.

I think no special hate is needed for it, as chants seem to be working really well, and hell chants are doing good against the Post-FS version, since you chant inresponce to a summoners, and thats GG.

The one thing i do think is pulling confidants for Leyline in the board. Main deck is nice, but since Hulk Flash isn't THAT good yet (still insain but not TOTALLY broken) it's not going to be played by enough of the field to warrent main decking the Leylines, an hurting our ability to combo.

I have been watching the Hulk Flash thread, and from the looks of it, not many are going to bother playing it at the GP. Thats not to say their isn't going to be a strong showing, just that there is not going to be 60% HF, 40% other, only MAYBE 5-10% Hulk Flash, and i don't want to damage my ability to combo against 90-95% of the field to have a better match up against 5-10%.

Affinity and Beyond!
    Sep 2005
    GA

Quote Originally Posted by dragon_demon1 View Post
    I have been watching the Hulk Flash thread, and from the looks of it, not many are going to bother playing it at the GP. Thats not to say their isn't going to be a strong showing, just that there is not going to be 60% HF, 40% other, only MAYBE 5-10% Hulk Flash, and i don't want to damage my ability to combo against 90-95% of the field to have a better match up against 5-10%.
    Granted this may mean nothing, but every store that had 50+ Flash(es) before the craze is now sold out or upped the price to some outrageous amount. Fair statement to say that people are going to bring this deck to the GP

See below:

SCG
    Smedlock
    Troll and Toad
    ABU games
    MTG Fanatic
    Cool Stuff inc

At one point, this deck was extremely cheap to build. Being that it is cheap and combo that can win turn 0-1, it will appeal to allot of the pros and noobs alike that are planning on going. I won't count it out, but expect that half of the field will be made up of Goblins and Hulk Flash
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." --Ash

Quote Originally Posted by kabal View Post
    Granted this may mean nothing, but every store that had 50+ Flash(es) before the craze is now sold out or upped the price to some outrageous amount. Fair statement to say that people are going to bring this deck to the GP

See below:

SCG
    Smedlock
    Troll and Toad
    ABU games
    MTG Fanatic
    Cool Stuff inc

At one point, this deck was extremely cheap to build. Being that it is cheap and combo that can win turn 0-1, it will appeal to allot of the pros and noobs alike that are planning on going. I won't count it out, but expect that half of the field will be made up of Goblins and Hulk Flash
    /nod

I completely agree with kabal.

At least 6 of the people at my local shop are taking Hulk. The rest are preparing against it.

As of right now, I'm still planning to run 4x LotV maindecked in place of the 3 cabal rituals and 1 Plunge. I may change my mind, but I doubt it.

Not that it is relevant for the GP, but Chanting after the Summoner's Pact isn't going to work, because the opponent will just cast Flash during his next Upkeep with the Disciple version before the Upkeep cost goes on the stack.

Chanting against the disciple build is an exercise in futility because they can simply combo out in response to the Chant.

this is ALSO assuming they arn't running the disiple version and need an attack step...

i know i know, a lot of if's...

also at Doomsday, can you please put a few stacks up, i can't seem to see how to use this period much less with...

Null Rod

Mage

True Believer

Chalice for 0

Chalice for 1

Chalice for 2

Pyrostatic Pillar

Someone else already hit on it a little bit but chanting in response to a pact is not GG at all. TES is running 4 xantid swarm, as many as 4 orims chant and lets just say 4 leyline of the void maindeck. Xantid swarm is too slow to matter against Flash unless you get chant or a leyline early and even if you do get lethal storm on the stack or swing with swarm they can still go off in response. Thats not even counting whether or not they have countermagic which is all free. Add on the fact that it is only possible for you to play a maximum of 2 chants(and thats only if you have 2 in your hand) before Flash goes off and chances are that they will have enough resources to counter your meager defense and that means GG. Flash has more speed than TES, can kill at instant speed like Solidarity and runs about as many counters as a control deck like Landstill. Sorry to say this but Flash is superior to any other combo deck right now and with all the hate people are packing for combo you would be stupid to play any combo deck other than Flash.
    To not thirst for power is to be at the mercy of those that do

You're going to need a long term solution to Flash, because it's going to be in this format for awhile.

Back on topic, all of the DDAY stacks are a couple of pages back, and just remember that the most common ones involve passing the turn and drawing a Brainstorm off the top of the deck for stuff like, Brainstorm, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Ill Gotten Gains and Tendrils of Agony, recasting the Brainstorm to draw into the Tendrils of Agony or the straight Tendrils kill with a Brainstorm in hand for a chain of Brainstorms like Brainstorm, Dark Ritual, Dark Ritual, Brainstorm, Tendrils of Agony etc.
    Last edited by Nightmare; 05-10-2007 at 11:15 AM.

Has anyone played TES in a recent tourney? I'm curious to see how it's done against a field of Flash and how well it did considering the splash damage from Flash hate.

Apr 2007
    chicago, il

Quote Originally Posted by BreathWeapon View Post
    Not that it is relevant for the GP, but Chanting after the Summoner's Pact isn't going to work, because the opponent will just cast Flash during his next Upkeep with the Disciple version before the Upkeep cost goes on the stack.
    Unless they used ESG or a petal to cast the flash. If they don't have the mana during their upkeep then they're fecked. I wouldn't even mention this if the T1's with the pact version weren't so common, and the mana base so tight (some lists running 4 ESG and 4 Lotus Petals.)

Banned

May 2007
    jersey

I think we should make a few changes to the deck so that in can cope better in the metagame at the gp. I definatley want to add defence grid to the board again and I want to change the maindeck chants. They usually slow me down too much, especially when facing flash

ReAnimated

Ummm........so whats better slowing down and win without the concern of a counter or scoop to a Force and possible Daze.

Bryant Cook

I personally tried my ass off to get a Hulk Flash matchup that was 50/50, MD Duress, SB therapy and RED and more. It's dissapointing when you have to shelve your own deck for a gp to play a hate deck. Good Luck to all playing TES, I hope you top 8.

Dutch Legacy Champ '08

Oct 2006
    The Netherlands, Nijmegen

I think TES might have an okay (+-35/65)( this is maybe not really OK but that means you alteast have a chance) matchup with hulk flash if it uses the iggy pop trick: 4 maindeck leyline and 3 maindeck IGG, the leyline hurts hulk flash and will probably give you enough time to do something if they don't have a lot of counters or you have swarm and an early leyline + IGG against most decks buys you enough time to win. I believe tendrils combo could be one of the best flash hate decks because with IGG maindeck leyline is not as dead against other decks.

Bryant Cook

I ended up going 6-3 beating 3 fish esq. decks, Goblins, W-Stax and Deadguy losing to Gro round 3, Flash round 7, and round 9 to the luckiest game 3 topdeck for fish.

Thread Information