Page 309 of 310 FirstFirst ... 209259299305306307308309310 LastLast
Results 6,161 to 6,180 of 6196

Thread: [DTB] Vial Goblins

Nov 2010
    Lisbon, Portugal

Re: [DTB] Vial Goblins

I see many decks not playing Rishadan port. How advantageous is using it in Goblins vs not using it?

..sry, whut? ◔̯◔
    Jan 2008
    Germany

Id say play at least 2, in monoR up to 4 are recommended.
    I wouldnt say goblins suck without them but its like a plan C in some situations. For example you are not drawing any buisness and can stall the opponent so he is unable to build board position. And it helps preventing nasty spells like firespout or plague
    Got tired of Legacy and you like drafts? Try my Paupercube What?

Stomping blue decks with "dead" decks, as usual.
    Sep 2010

Hmm, just got back from a magic store where I saw a really nice card for my sideboard: Back to Nature.

Instant 1G: Destroy all enchantments.

Well, I think it might be a very nice choice against Enchantress, which is a fairly common matchup for me. I've been running this decklist lately, with some positive results.

Lands [22]

4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Taiga
    6 Mountain

Core [26]

Flexible Slots [12]

4 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter

Sideboard [15]

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Pyrokinesis
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Back to Nature
    1 Tormod's Crypt

I don't know if I should keep the 3/1 KGrip/BtN split, or if I should go 2/2. Lightning Bolts were removed from MD because Goblin Chieftain has been proven to be a very strong card in lategame. I don't play any artifact hate MD because I think it's just not worth it... topdecking a Tin Street Hooligan, or even a Goblin Tinkerer in matches where you don't really need it is just awful. Too bad, those cards are pretty much good against a lot of matchups.

Quote Originally Posted by Vandalize View Post
    Hmm, just got back from a magic store where I saw a really nice card for my sideboard: Back to Nature.

Well, I think it might be a very nice choice against Enchantress, which is a fairly common matchup for me. I've been running this decklist lately, with some positive results.

Lands [22]

4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Taiga
    6 Mountain

Core [26]

Flexible Slots [12]

4 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter

Sideboard [15]

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Pyrokinesis
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Back to Nature
    1 Tormod's Crypt

I don't know if I should keep the 3/1 KGrip/BtN split, or if I should go 2/2. Lightning Bolts were removed from MD because Goblin Chieftain has been proven to be a very strong card in lategame. I don't play any artifact hate MD because I think it's just not worth it... topdecking a Tin Street Hooligan, or even a Goblin Tinkerer in matches where you don't really need it is just awful. Too bad, those cards are pretty much good against a lot of matchups.
    Back to Nature is pretty sweet. It is as good against against Enchantress as you think it is, and it's great against double Engineered Plague. I've found that I like playing 2, if you feel like you can justify cutting a Krosan Grip (I usually play 0 artifact removal right now).

Also, how do you like Sharpshooter + Prospector? I've personally not found a reason to even test it yet.

Apr 2010
    Germany

Lands [22]

4 Wasteland
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wooded Foothills
    4 Taiga
    6 Mountain

Core [26]

Flexible Slots [12]

4 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter

Sideboard [15]

4 Chalice of the Void
    4 Pyrokinesis
    3 Krosan Grip
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Back to Nature
    1 Tormod's Crypt

If you are Rg you should run TSH in MD.
    I don't want to make a list of occassions where he is good and what he can kill - we already know that. The fact is that most decks DO run some artifacts; and they do so for a certain reason. The reason is that those artifact help them out once in a while mostly relying on the fact that very few decks can handle them preboard.
    As a 1-of you almost never draw him; so if you have to deal with artifacts you have to use your Matron (and in those cases he is worth searching for). At his worst he is only a Goblin-shaped Savannah Lion.
    In fact there are MU where al your removal is completely useless (Enchantress, Deedstill, Stax, Belcher, ANT, Spring Tide) and I bet you certainly use your Gempalm Incinerator as a Savannah Lion once in a while ;-)
    You may also think of using Artfifact-removal in an agressive way: We don't only need TSH when there is a Jitte lying around, but also when Merfolk's AEther Vial is getting on our nerves (in this particular case Merfolk heavily relies on Vial, cause they have no better 1-drop and they won't overwhelm anybody by plaiyng 1 creature every round).
    WE ARE THE AGGRESSIVE DECK AND WE NEED TO COMPLETELY CRUSH OUR OPPONENTS AND ALL THEY HAVE! (sorry for that, just playing my role ;-))

Regarding the Grip/Nature Split: This depends on wether or not you pack TSH in MD. Generally artifacts are more problematic (and more frequent) than Enchantments, therefore I'd run a 3/1-split.

btw. I find your deck very well-build
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by Humphrey View Post
    I dont think that i can totally agree with this list.
    Against Affinity and Merfolk it totally depends on the draws. If Affinity doesnt have a real quick start with many creatures oder Thopter+Equip Goblins is the Beatdown. And against Merfolk id say we´re more often in a control position, burning Fishs down with Incinerators and win via Ringleaders card draw.
    Also i dont see where goblins isnt beatdown agains ANT or Tide, exept a few sb cards we have no way to interact with ANT.
    First off, I recognize that each game plays differently. There's clearly little reason to play control against a deck that mulls to 4 and misses its 1-drop. I wrote up my list with sideboarding in mind. I'm using the list as a tool to help conceptualize how I should sideboard against various match ups, not necessarily how the game is actually going to turn out.

Secondly, in modern Legacy there is seldom a deck that relies purely on aggro and NO deck that relies purely on control. This is because every Legacy deck has elements of control, permission, removal, or disruption. It's a necessary part of the game. Decks also require a win condition, so every deck has the option of being the beatdown compared to what it's up against.

Vs Affinity- Affinity is just so much faster T1 that goblins doesn't have a choice but to play control. I feel like every game against Affinity consists of playing catch-up after they dump their hand T1. Then it's up to us to stabalize the board with removal before we can start swinging in for the win. I think Goblins has to play the control role against Affinity because there isn't really anything in our sideboard that makes us more aggro against them. Our only options are removal (Pyro, Tinkerer, Scrapper et al.).

Vs Merfolk- I agree that we use control elements against them in the form of spot removal, but think of all the things we throw at them that they NEED to have an answer for: Lackey, Piledriver, Vial, Ringleader, Pyro. All of these cards can blow out Merfolk. We have the threats. They need the answers. There's a reason so many Merfolk splash black for E Plague- Goblins is the beatdown. This I'm sure of.

Vs ANT/Tide- These matchups are trickier to define, certainly. We do have very few ways of interacting with those decks, so how could we possibly be control? Well, we regularly kill T4. They regularly kill T3 (at least Ari Lax's ANT list does - http://www.mananation.com/legacy-storm-primer/). So we can't beat them if we play the beatdown role. Also, how would we even sideboard to make our deck more aggro G2? Fireblasts against Ad nauseum is really all I can think of, and that doesn't really work against other combo decks like Tide or Belcher that don't burn themselves. Since they kill us faster then we can kill them (even post-sideboard) the only option we are left with is to play control.

This little exercise is really opening my eyes to how control-oriented sideboarding is. Where Zoo has Price of Progress and Fireblast to burn out their opponents more quickly just about every other deck's sideboard is based around making the deck more defensive.

May 2008
    Des Moines, Iowa, USA

"just about every other deck's sideboard is based around making the deck more defensive"

I think that this perception is one worth writing home about. This is a fundamental point about sideboards that I have never seen stated so well. Sometimes just a good sentence does it for me. Thanks.

Sep 2010

Hi, remade my decklist with a few changes for adapting to some random stuff that happened to me yesterday.

First of all, replaced the 4th Wooded Foothills for a Bloodstained Mire, because I just got Extirpated when I needed my Taiga the most. Followed GoboLord's advice and add the singleton Tin Street Hooligan instead of Stingscourger, which got his spot in the sideboard.

So, the decklist looks like this now:

Lands [22]

6 Mountain
    4 Taiga
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    3 Wooded Foothills
    1 Bloostained Mire

Core [26]

Flexible Slots [12]

4 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Tin Street Hooligan

Sideboard [15]

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Pyrokinesis
    2 Back to Nature
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Stingscourger

Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't leave home without 4 Pyrokinesis in my sideboard... Although, I find less than 3 GY-hate slots in the sideboard a weak choice for a 16+ people tournament (which is the weakest slots in my sideboard IMO).

Any comments?

Apr 2010
    Germany

Hi, remade my decklist with a few changes for adapting to some random stuff that happened to me yesterday.

First of all, replaced the 4th Wooded Foothills for a Bloodstained Mire, because I just got Extirpated when I needed my Taiga the most. Followed GoboLord's advice and add the singleton Tin Street Hooligan instead of Stingscourger, which got his spot in the sideboard.

So, the decklist looks like this now:

Lands [22]

6 Mountain
    4 Taiga
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland
    3 Wooded Foothills
    1 Bloostained Mire

Core [26]

Flexible Slots [12]

4 Gempalm Incinerator
    3 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Skirk Prospector
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter
    1 Tin Street Hooligan

Sideboard [15]

4 Chalice of the Void
    3 Pyrokinesis
    2 Back to Nature
    2 Krosan Grip
    2 Relic of Progenitus
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Stingscourger

Sometimes I feel like I shouldn't leave home without 4 Pyrokinesis in my sideboard... Although, I find less than 3 GY-hate slots in the sideboard a weak choice for a 16+ people tournament (which is the weakest slots in my sideboard IMO).

Any comments?
    If you want to make sure you don't get extirüated you can even run 1 Arid Mesa, 1 Scalding Tarn, 1 Wooded Foothills and 1 Bloodstained Mire.
    If you have a Stingscourger in board you don't necessarily need the 4th Pyrokinesis since you can add 4 removal to your deck postboard either way; I like the 3-1 split.
    Mountain Caverns, Lackey, Go.

If you have an apple and I have an apple and we exchanges our apples, we each have one apple. But if you have an idea and I have an idea and we exchange our ideas, we each have two ideas.

Feb 2011
    Wisconsin

@Vandalize: I think your deck build looks great and I have to agree with Gobolord that you'd probably be fine with the 3-1 split. I actually someone like it since it gives you a little more diversity in your removal effects. As for the fetch lands, it really couldn't hurt to split them up into different fetchs with red as a target. In my build I use Scalding Tarn, Arid Mesa, and Bloodstained Mire.

@jrw1985: Gooood idea, sorrrry bout that.
    Edit to delete the evidence of my inability to read properly.

Jul 2010
    Kapa'a HI

Quote Originally Posted by Alphalaw View Post
    Hello everyone,
    I've been stalking these forums for some time and decided it high time I finally attempt to contribute to the forums. I was thinking about the new card Green Sun's Zenith that's coming out in the new set and I thought it might have some potential in a goblin build if it's used properly. It gives you the ability to fetch any goblin from your deck (so long as you have the mana) and put it directly into play, which allows for good synergy with cards like ringleader, matron, SGC, and other goblins with come into play effects. It also helps with replenishing your board position and hand, for example you could fetch a matron, which could be used to gather a ringleader to your hand. This could give you the ability to spring back from board wipes. This could would probably work the best with a goblin deck containing prospector, which could be used as a means of supplying extra mana needed for the x cost.
    The card has some pretty obvious downsides though, for instance it isn't a goblin card which means it can't be drawn via ringleader or fetched with matron. It also isn't very synergetic with the goblin theme of cheating goblins into play via lackey, warcheif or vial. Then you also have to have the mana +1 for casting the creature, which could prove to be difficult for cards like ringleader (which would be one of it's better targets). That being said I feel like it might still have some sort of potential and I was wondering what the good goblin players of the source think about this new card. I am hoping to do some play testing as the weekend rolls around but it can be difficult to find the time with the school and all.

Also @Vandalize: I think you deck build looks great and I have to agree with Gobolord that you'd probably be fine with the 3-1 split. I actually someone like it since it gives you a little more diversity in your removal effects. As for the fetch lands, it really couldn't hurt to split them up into different fetchs with red as a target. In my build I use Scalding Tarn, Arid Mesa, and Bloodstained Mire.
    Read Green Sun's Zenith once more...

Sep 2010

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    HAHAHA. Alphalaw was just misunderstood. Goblins are green in theory, but in MTG, they are pretty much red.

Quote Originally Posted by jrw1985 View Post
    But aren't they "little green men?" Lol. As stated before, the new set gave goblins nothing.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Quote Originally Posted by anotherday View Post
    But aren't they "little green men?" Lol. As stated before, the new set gave goblins nothing.
    I really wish someone would test Pyrexian Revoker (pithing needle guy).
    He seems nice against combo, since unlike Chalice / Thor / Trap, he can't be Duressed away.
    Geting him in T2 naming LED must be preety nice.
    Also, could be useful in other MU's I guess...
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Sep 2010

Phyrexian Revoker can be cheated into play too. But we usually need turn 1 answers for Combo stuff. You usually don't have a turn 2 when facing a Belcher or Spanish Inquisition. Still, it's a pretty fine card.

Site Contributor
    Aug 2008

Phyrexian Revoker can be cheated into play too. But we usually need turn 1 answers for Combo stuff. You usually don't have a turn 2 when facing a Belcher or Spanish Inquisition. Still, it's a pretty fine card.
    Against Belcher I really try hard to concentrate and make them fizzle, or cast EtW for 8 or 10 tokens, and get outraced by MWM, Knesis or Sharpshooter. Still, Revoker looks decent. Needle would be better, but I think Revoker is better in many other MU's.
    Agains't SI... well, not much we can do here.
    Trap is the best card against both, but I think Revoker may have a lot more versatility.
    Super Bizarros Team. Beating everything with small green dudes and big waves.

Nov 2010
    Philippines

Guys since we are in discussion here with new stuff to improve our little green warriors has anyone tried goblin snowman?, kidding aside I find him usefull as an ultimate blocker but with the meta today with zoo/burn/rock etc . . he will be killed upon casting but what do you guys think? Putting shroud I think he is invincible . . . Dont flame me guys just thinking out of the box with putting a new guy in our decks.

Nov 2009
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Pinoy Goblin View Post
    Guys since we are in discussion here with new stuff to improve our little green warriors has anyone tried goblin snowman?, kidding aside I find him usefull as an ultimate blocker but with the meta today with zoo/burn/rock etc . . he will be killed upon casting but what do you guys think? Putting shroud I think he is invincible . . . Dont flame me guys just thinking out of the box with putting a new guy in our decks.
    Hmm... You could be playing ringleader or this guy for 4 mana. I'm gonna choose the one that doesn't lose you the game. Mogg war marshall is 100x better, because snowman will just bite a bolt/chain/stp/path/helix/or a million other spells.

Aug 2009
    Espoo, Finland

Hello there!

After playing mono red goblins for a while I'm now trying to put together a Rb or possibly a Rbg list and it would be great to get some comments and advice from you all. Here is the list I'm testing right now.

4 Wasteland
    2 Rishadan Port
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    3 Badlands
    3 Auntie's Hovl
    6 Mountain

4 Aether Vial

4 Goblin Lackey
    4 Goblin Piledriver
    4 Goblin Warchief
    4 Goblin Matron
    4 Goblin Ringleader
    2 Siege-Gang Commander

3 Gempalm Incinerator
    2 Warren Weirding
    1 Stingscourger
    1 Goblin Sharpshooter

2 Mogg War Marshal
    2 Goblin Chieftain
    1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
    1 Skirk Prospector

Sideboard

4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Perish
    3 Pyrokinesis
    2 Nihil Spellbomb
    1 Tormod's Crypt
    2 Earwig Squad
    1 Tuktuk Scrapper

First, yes it's a 61 cards list at the moment :) The card I'm constantly adding or removing is Wort, Boggart Auntie, I like the fact that it let's me "reuse" Warren Weirding, Stingscourger and Mogg War Marshal and that it has some synergy with Skirk Prospector but if these reasons are enough or just overkill... well please let me know your thoughts?
    The thing I mainly want to get opinions about is whether adding green is worthwhile or not?
    If I add green I would probably go;

-1 Wort, Boggart Auntie
    +1 Tin Street Hooligan

-2 Earwig Squad
    -1 Tuktuk Scrapper
    +3 Nature's Claim

And of course change my lands to support three colors. Please let me know what you think about the list as it is and your opinion about RB vs. RBG. All advice, criticism and opinions are very appreciated!!
    Finally, I'm also very interested in getting opinions on Phyrexian Revoker

Sep 2010

Rishadan Port's counting is too low, I wouldn't go below 3. As jin likes to say: Go big or go home. Another advice: Nature's Claim isn't really a good card after Survival was banned. It's manacost is awsome, but giving 4 life to your foe might cost you the game. I'd recommend some Krosan Grips or Naturalize (or Back to Nature, if you're concerned about enchantments).

Thread Information