Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Article] Bardo's Legacy Deck Bazaar

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Re: [Article] Bardo's Legacy Deck Bazaar

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    The fact that SCG ran your 'Legacy on a Budget' column this Monday, shows they're open to alternate ways of representing Legacy content. From the start, too, Pete has said that they run "alternate" material on Tuesdays (or Mondays?) and Thursdays--so it's not like their weekly content is written in stone.

@ All - If you have a good Legacy article in you, I'm pretty sure SCG can fit it in to their schedule, talk to Chris about it.
    I didn't have anything to do with that. They came to me, not the other way around. I have already tried to negotiate with them about guest content and they are not interested in anything other than the regular, no-guarantees submssion process. I can work with people on making some interesting pieces, and I am already doing that, but I don't think it does much to elevate publication potential. So basically, there will not be guest spots in our lineup unless someone wants a break.

Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    I was going to respond to your concerns, but then I read this. I'm not sure if you're trying to say something about my writing or if you're really just ignorant about the format, but either way I'm disappointed.
    No offence intended - I just kind of mentally grouped the two orange-ish avatars together.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Diablos View Post
    Oh man that is awesome. Who's responsible for that one?
    Urabahn.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

EPIC awesomeness
    Mar 2004
    Baldwinsville/Oswego, NY

Don't we have an article tab on the opening page here? If people write articles that don't get accepted at SCG, couldn't we post them here?

Obviously a mod would read it first, to make sure it's not complete shit.
    EPIC Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    I personally like spell snare against 2 cc spells, but it really isn't good against spells that aren't 2 cc. With engineered explosives, it is a good card to have against non-land permanents with converted mana cost equal to what you set the explosives to, but it doesn't hit those that have differing cc. Plus, engineered explosives has sunburst.
    -My hero

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Agent View Post
    For some odd reason, I find shackles to be superb against creature oriented decks. Of course, the logic behind it is the sooner you can play and activate shackles the better. Although, shackles definitely has it's late game uses as well. It basically counts as a threat and a removal spell simultaneously which is relevant against "not quite shroud" creatures. Also, you should really be running a playset of engineered plagues against merfolks. They can dismantle tribal decks so run more of them.
    -I don't think this one was a joke...

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Well, it's much, much easier to gripe about something, than do something about it. And yeah, from the beginning of this thing, we've said we've been open to and hopeful for guest writers.

As for criticism, it's funny what people will like or dislike. Personally, this has been my favorite article to write and I think it's the best, once you get past the surface of it. So, shit, go figure.
    2 things: First, I've officially gotten off my ass to do something, and got myself accepted to write for Salvation (since SCG isn't taking new writers). I'm no longer part of the silent majority. W00t!

Second, don't let the haters get you down. I still love you.

Clay Aiken
    Jun 2005
    Mooshie's Grove

You're looking at things holistically, re: the column and its cumulative content. Truth is, we don't always know what we're each writing about, so this is just going to happen from time to time.
    Wouldn't it make more sense to talk to each other about what you're going to write about? Y'know, email, phone, MySpace, Facebook, IM, MSN. It would also avoid the off chance you guys write about the exact same thing 2 weeks in a row.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    Wouldn't it make more sense to talk to each other about what you're going to write about? Y'know, email, phone, MySpace, Facebook, IM, MSN. It would also avoid the off chance you guys write about the exact same thing 2 weeks in a row.
    We sorta do, but not everyone knows their topic, in many cases, until a week before their slot. I'm sorta manic about it and have my article topics chosen until August, unless I go to the GP, where one of my articles would be a tourney report or a "here's the weird shit I saw at the GP"* kind of article.

* Assuming I scrubbed out.

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

Well first of all, this is two SCG articles I've been mentioned in, much to the chagrin of my fourth grade teacher who said I'd never amount to anything.

Second, I liked the article, but I think people had a problem with its lack of focus. It had several good points, but there were spread out and difficult to find or summarize. My only complaints, and I always preface these with the utmost admiration for the writers, whose job I don't envy, were that is was a tad long (there are worse crimes) repetitive (way too much tog/control/deed) and the actual lists. I understand the need to throw in your imperfect list and discuss it for something like the Trinket Mage deck, but for something like AggroStill (which I agree is an idea with merit) why not discuss the vastly underrated Blue Skies list? Anyway, these are all minor complaints. Here are my thoughts on the article:

1) Power vs. Synergy - Great point that a lot of people don't understand and perfectly illustrated with your deed and clasm examples. I went through this argument a ton in the early stages of ERA, and people really have trouble grasping why you would run cards that kill each other.

2) Serendib vs. Serra - I liked this breakdown even though I disagree with it. I have had nothing but problems with Serendib except in ultra aggressive aggro decks like Faerie Stompy. While that is merely a difference of opinion, I had a minor problem with the statement "both are exceptional at carrying a Jitte or a Sword". Assuming that any flying fattie is exceptional at carrying a Jitte or a Sword, Avenger is simply beyond exceptional.

3) Pithing vs. Extripate - I like this comparison, and actually wouldn't mind seeing an article written about individual cards and their current and possible uses. Blood Moon is a card I've always been interested in using for example, and I never understood why Null Rod hasn't taken off. Etc.

4) T Crusade - I've been on this bandwagon for a long time now. I'm glad someone is with me. Crusade is a terrible card, and should not eat up board slots. It's almost mind bogglingly narrow, difficult to cast, and doesn't ensure a victory over the deck in question. I'd rather have Stifle coming out of the board for the love of god.

5) Smother - I notice you throw this in a few decks, but fail to mention that this leaves you open to Lackey -> SGC on the draw.

Once again, good work!

A Whore's Limit Break Uses Anal
    Jun 2006
    Carbondale, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Nightmare View Post
    2 things: First, I've officially gotten off my ass to do something, and got myself accepted to write for Salvation (since SCG isn't taking new writers). I'm no longer part of the silent majority. W00t!

I have done the same thing. I used my first 2 articles to discuss Extended for various reasons, but I have been working and retooling a Legacy-based article for my next piece at Salvation. However, I am sort of stuck on the piece and can't work my way around it, so I may have to start from scratch. Blah. Although, Nightmare, I am happy to see what your first "assignment" is. At least Salvation is open to, you know, interesting pieces.

I really do like Finn's Interview series, including the Bardo installment. It's an enjoyable and informative method for a piece, and I just really think they're fun reads.

As for Bardo's SCG article...it wasn't ZOMGhfs balls awesome or anything, but I liked it. It was at least interesting on the surface, and there are worthwhile ideas within the meat of the article. Overall I think everyone has done a fine job so far.
    Quote Originally Posted by nedleeds View Post
    People arguing about which foil reprint is better is like a Mormon and a Scientologist having a history argument.
    Quote Originally Posted by MattH View Post
    Don't you know that specifics are deadly poison to H. Machinus? They lack the enzymes to digest them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    What in the janky gay ninja hell is that 25th place deck?

Attractive and Successful
    Nov 2006
    Cincinnati, OH

I look forward to reading your articles!

For people who want to write instead of just kvetching about people who do write, MTGSalvation and, I think, Londes accept material still, and I think Brainburst does as well. There are enough venues to write in that the loss of SCG as a platform won't really affect aspiring writers.

Quote Originally Posted by hi-val View Post
    I look forward to reading your articles!

For people who want to write instead of just kvetching about people who do write, MTGSalvation and, I think, Londes accept material still, and I think Brainburst does as well. There are enough venues to write in that the loss of SCG as a platform won't really affect aspiring writers.
    Londes will even promise to pay you. Though they won't actually do so.

Man Londes tried to get ME to write for them. How desperate.
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

<3 teh avatar Nightmare.

It was a generally interesting concept and an interesting read. I agree with Spat, that a complete matchup analysis plan would be very interesting.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Thread Information