4 [MI] Mystical Tutor
    4 [MI] Flash
    3 [AL] Force of Will
    1 [ON] Chain of Vapor
    2 [HL] Merchant Scroll

As you can see here:

http://ww2.wizards.com/gatherer/inde...&Field_Name=on

the Oracle text of the card "Flash" changed to:

"You may put a creature card from your hand into play. If you do, sacrifice it unless you pay its mana cost reduced by up to 2 Mana."

Which means that:
    a) you can put a creature of your choice to play and it will trigger comes into play abilities
    b) sacrifice it and it will trigger other things, like "goes to the graveyard from play".
    c) Others...

Normally I want to Draw and not Play (Gemstone Caverns), so let's see a game where the opponent starts:

Hand: Gemstone Caverns, Lotus Petal, Summoner's Pact, Brainstorm, Mystical Tutor, Disciple of the Vault, Protean Hulk,

(a hand with 2 useless card, Summoner's and Disciple, not a god hand...)

Turn 0:
    Gemstone in play discarding Pact,
    play Brainstorm for Pact of Negation, Shifting Wall, Island
    putting on top Disciple and Shifting

Turn 1:
    on upkeep Mystical for Flash (Disciple and Wall shuffled...)
    play Island, Lotus Petal
    whenever I want play Flash and win, protected by Pact of Negation...

Q: How to win:
    R:
    play Flash for Protean Hulk,
    sacrifice it,
    search for 4x Disciple, 4x Shifting Walls and 3x Phyrexian Marauder (if they are still in your deck)
    Shifting and Marauder come into play and die (they are 0/0)
    Disciples trigger 4x7=28 times...

Q: What if you draw Disciple or Shifting?
    R:
    1) You can play them (1 Underground Sea + Fetch) and winning in your main phase
    2) There are 4 lotus petal that you can sacrifice for additional life loss
    3) Brainstorm + Fetch or Mystical or Merchant for shuffling (or Flash)

Q: How is it working?
    R:
    The deck sometimes "flizzes" but many other times it wins on turn 2 protected by FoW or Pact...
    It is a mono blue deck (apart for mono Sea for Disciple) so it's resilient.
    It packs 8 FoW and 10 Tutors... (Mystical for Summoner's Pact for Protean on my upkeep)
    "Stack Domination" by winning istant-speed

P.S. Possible other creatures (thanks to "Illisius")

Academy Rector
    Angel of Despair
    Bogardan Hellkite
    Draining Whelk
    False Prophet
    Gamekeeper
    Kamigawa Dragons
    Mindslicer
    Palinchron
    Penumbra Wurm
    Petradon
    Su-Chi
    Sundering Titan
    Symbiotic Wurm
    Last edited by Minosse; 05-11-2007 at 11:56 AM.

Nov 2006
    Nijmegen, The Netherlands

Re: Protean Flash

This deck is so cool! Also, it's really cheap in mana cost, just having to pay 2 for the flash.
    I don't really like the combo you are using to kill tough, you need 9 cards for it, and the chances that you will draw one or two are pretty big. I'm still trying to find a better one, but I'm not sure if there actually is any.

Quote Originally Posted by Bahamuth View Post
    This deck is so cool! Also, it's really cheap in mana cost, just having to pay 2 for the flash.
    I don't really like the combo you are using to kill tough, you need 9 cards for it, and the chances that you will draw one or two are pretty big. I'm still trying to find a better one, but I'm not sure if there actually is any.
    Yeah, that's the problem.

A good thing is that we can play that cards so they are not dead in our hands if we draw them.

I have to post this because I never saw a turn 0 win:

Hand: Gemstone Caverns, Protean Hulk, Summoner's Pact, Flash, Brainstorm, FoW,

Turn 0:
    Gemstone in play removing Petal
    Summoner's for ESG
    Flash

GG on turn 0 protected by FoW...
    Last edited by Minosse; 04-27-2007 at 02:46 PM.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Protean Hulk is a very cool way of getting Saffi and Crypt Champion in play and going off from there.

The first search goes for Saffi and a creature that sacks stuff then you return the hulk and go nutz.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

I'm not sure I follow that. If you get Saffi from the Hulk, you can't use Saffi to bring the Hulk back, because Saffi has to target something in play to make it come back when it dies.

Also, since it has The Hulk and The Flash, I'm going to push for this deck to be named 'Super Friends'.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Also, since it has The Hulk and The Flash, I'm going to push for this deck to be named 'Super Friends'.
    i prefer the name suggested on the SCG forum, "Hulk Flash".

the deck concept looks very strong because it can win blazing fast (hell, it can even pull of Turn 0 wins ) and runs up to 8 free hard counters to protect the combo.

i think the main issue right now is to find the right numbers and MD choices.

The most important thing to remember is:

WHEN YOU GO OFF YOU HAVE TO WIN

(because we are using 8 Pacts...)

Trust me that the biggest problem of this deck is simply that Wizards will fix it real soon...

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    Protean Hulk is a very cool way of getting Saffi and Crypt Champion in play and going off from there.

The first search goes for Saffi and a creature that sacks stuff then you return the hulk and go nutz.
    I like it, maybe it will be less then 9 cards, but there will probably be more dead cards in hand if you draw them...

And we will be more fragile (pithing needle)...

you can also go for 3 pride of the clouds and 4 topters, but that doesn't instant win :(

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

A crazy thought just came to me. What about Epochrasite? I'm not advocating it in the maindeck, but postboard if people bring in hate against you, you can always board in these guys, Hulk it up, and go beatdown with 3 4/4 beaters straight from your library.

It's probably not worth it, but I figured it was worth mentioning.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Minosse View Post
    I like it, maybe it will be less then 9 cards, but there will probably be more dead cards in hand if you draw them...

And we will be more fragile (pithing needle)...
    first you get saffi, Carrion Feeder, and Tessa

sack saffi getting back hulk, sac hulk to feeder, get crypt champion and anything else( you can go for another Saffi just in case). Then you make infinite dudes. You can also use hulk as many times as you have Saffi's. EE doesn't stop you because your Carrion feeder is somewhere in the relm of a 1000/1000. O_o

I just realized, there is another way to go off...

Careful study discarding Carrion Feeder/Tessa first turn

play flash second turn, get Saffi Crypt champion (crypt champion targets feeder)

sac saffi get hulk, sac hulk get saffi (#2)/ Crypt Champion (#2) (target Tessa)

Go off from there.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Jun 2004
    New Hampshire

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    first you get saffi, Carrion Feeder, and Tessa

sack saffi getting back hulk, sac hulk to feeder, get crypt champion and anything else( you can go for another Saffi just in case). Then you make infinite dudes. You can also use hulk as many times as you have Saffi's. EE doesn't stop you because your Carrion feeder is somewhere in the relm of a 1000/1000. O_o

I just realized, there is another way to go off...

Careful study discarding Carrion Feeder/Tessa first turn

play flash second turn, get Saffi Crypt champion (crypt champion targets feeder)

sac saffi get hulk, sac hulk get saffi (#2)/ Crypt Champion (#2) (target Tessa)

Go off from there.

1) Keep in mind that Hulk can only get creatures with CMC of 6 six or less. There's no way to get Champion, Feeder, and Saffi all in one shot with Hulk.
    2) What does EE (Engineered Explosives I assume) have to worry about from a 1000/1000 Feeder? It still dies to an Explosives with one counter on it.
    3) Your second example, in order to be effective, would require more useless cards in the deck than the already fragile Disciple combo. Consistently getting these targets into the graveyard turns 1-2 would take multiple Saffi et al in the main
    4) This deck idea has potential without watering it down with Careful Study for sub-optimal combo
    5) Explain in your second combo how you would get Hulk back; you can't target a creature with Saffi while it's in the graveyard and that's what it sounds like you're doing.

In any case, while the Disciple combo sounds fun, the risk of getting the wrong cards in hand feels too risky. I see two directions to take this deck to make is most effective: either get the creature combo with Hulk down to far less cards or remove the Hulk combo all together. If stacks of 1/1s work for TES with disruption, why not play Symbiotic Wurm in here?

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Re: [Discussion] Hulk Flash

Hi - just moved this to prove a point.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Thread Information