Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Deck] The Flash/Hulk Killer

Jan 2007
    Massachusetts

Re: The Flash/Hulk Killer

Extirpate doesn't do anything vs hulk if you dont have ENOUGH hand disruption/counters to back it up in the beginning. You need to out counter a combo deck with 8 MD counters where you start 1 counter down (due to having to counter the flash). It's easy to hate out Flash really, your deck will just lose to everything else. I like the list Hanni, it stands a chance against everything else in the field also, but will have a very good hulk matchup, or should.
    BluffYouOut.com Currently Under Construction, But Coming Soon!
    Team Necro: Playing Decks You Wish You Built First.
    The Most Consistant + Inconsistant Magic Player in History.

"Has anyone seen the latest episode of Lock This Thread?" Peter Rotten

Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

Well, I think Extirpate is amazing in the Tog list I presented on this thread. You have:

4 Force of Will
    4 Counterspell
    3 Stifle
    4 Duress
    4 Extirpate

The key cards that don't get hit by Duress will get hit either with Force, Stifle, or Counterspell. That gives the deck plenty of Extirpate targets. The first Extirpate doesn't have to neuter the combo completely (Flash). If the opponent doesn't have the combo in hand, pulling out an enabler like Mystical Tutor will hurt. It will also buy plenty of time to assume control of the match. The Counterspells really aren't that slow in a deck that doesn't really do a whole lot else with its mana. I was originally running Force Spike in place of the Extirpates, but Extirpate just seems far stronger overall (with other matchups in consideration). SB Leyline of the Void should be wayyy more than enough disruption for that Tog deck to demolish Hulk Flash... and the amount of creature kill that's MD/SB will be plenty to deal with the crappy Fish decks running cards like Children of Korlis.

I was playing this deck earlier, without a SB, with Force Spike instead of Extirpate MD, and I'm about 14-0 in matches vs post-FS Hulk Flash.

Jan 2007
    Massachusetts

I feel that the extirpates would actually be better than the spikes against hulk. Force Spike is a better card in general than extirpate, seing as the meta will change completely, and spike is at least decent vs just about any non loam deck, and should be very strong vs flash. However, what I do like about the deck, is that if people continue to run mystical tutor, you can not only take all of the mystical tutors out, but also shuffle their deck before they get the chance to draw the tutor target. It will really have to depend on what the meta becomes.

Also, counterspell is weaker in the matchup than spike, but a better card in general.
    BluffYouOut.com Currently Under Construction, But Coming Soon!
    Team Necro: Playing Decks You Wish You Built First.
    The Most Consistant + Inconsistant Magic Player in History.

"Has anyone seen the latest episode of Lock This Thread?" Peter Rotten

Combo Enthusiast

Apr 2004

Oh man, Hulk Smash coming back to Legacy as the deck to beat out Hulk Flash? This is great, it's the most epic battle ever conceived on Legacy's soil.

The great thing is, I have the cards necessary to build both decks $D

I'll start playtesting your build against my Pre/Post-FS builds, Hanni, and let you know the results.
    Quote Originally Posted by YuanTi View Post
    Slightly off topic, but where is the Nourishing Lich in the DTB Forum?

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I love this by the way...an actual combo deck that beats aggro means that control can actually be played yeah!!!! The trifecta is officially over!!!

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by lavafrogg View Post
    I love this by the way...an actual combo deck that beats aggro means that control can actually be played yeah!!!! The trifecta is officially over!!!
    And now we have the one-fecta!!!!! That's so much better!!!
    Team ICBE

Try not to wake up on fire.

Jun 2005
    Phoenix, Arizona

I disagree...this deck will be just like Dragon in the old 1.5 (until it gets nerfed) and also it has the potential to be as broken as time vault could have been if it didnt cost so damn much. I admit the deck is good but it is not that good.
    Now that the format is more broken will they release some type one goodies.

The hate deck is still Threshold. Threshold and the other aggro control decks that rule legacy are still the decks to beat and another combo deck just feeds into that. Red Death, UGw thresh, BHWC will all have strong Flash matchups just like they have goods combo matchups now(well mostly BHWC).

I really like the addition of a good combo deck, as a solidarity player I weep slightly, because it makes the format stronger. More like type one than extended which is what the format should be.

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillA View Post
    Aven Mindcensor is a) too slow to matter, and b) not very good in a deck with 8 fetchlands.
    You're right, it is too slow to stop the first Flash, but maybe the second one after a bit of disruption? The anti-deck has to be a control deck and thus the Mindcensor's flash ability is neat. If it was true that you always beat Hulk Flash when you survived the second turn, i'd totally agree on your argument. Your second argument is wrong, it doesn't affect you (it says 'opponent').

I never said it should replace a piece of disruption or something that has proven to be useful but since this is in development I thought I'd suggest a card that might deserve testing.

Banned
    Jun 2004
    Blacksburg

Just play my new EBA list, it's better.

:)

Armageddon 2
    Umezawa's Jitte 2
    Tundra 4
    Ancient Tomb 4
    Windswept Heath 4
    Flooded Strand 4
    Brainstorm 4
    Stifle 4
    Daze 4
    Swords to Plowshares 4
    Meddling Mage 4
    Children of Korlis 4
    Jotun Grunt 2
    Soul Warden 4
    Exalted Angel 4
    Plains 4
    Sword of Fire and Ice 2
    Lands: 20, Spells: 24, Crt: 18 60

Thats the real Hulk killer that doesnt die to everithing else!

soul warden is realy not bad :)
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Massacre says hello to you and your soon-to-be-deflowered happy hole.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

This is my current anti-Flash deck. Seems like a bad version of HanniFish...

"Hulk Flash Mauler"
    by Bardo

4 Underground Sea
    4 Tundra
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Polluted Delta
    1 Scrubland
    1 Island
    1 Plains

4 Meddling Mage
    4 Samurai of the Pale Curtain
    4 Dark Confidant
    2 Serendib Efreet

4 Brainstorm
    4 Force of Will
    4 Daze
    4 Duress
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Extirpate
    3 Stifle
    2 Pithing Needle

// Sideboard
    SB: 4 Leyline of the Void
    SB: 4 Engineered Plague
    SB: 4 Umezawas' Jitte
    SB: 2 Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 Stifle

It hasn't lost to HF yet though. But it probably loses to everything else. :)

Thread Information