Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article] Flashy Finish

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

[Article] Flashy Finish

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mf147

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Flores
    I must say that I was surprised by the lack of Hulk Flash decks in the Top 8 of Grand Prix–Columbus 2007. I know that there were three copies, more than any other archetype (there were five singletons), but I thought that if the metagame made any sense that there would be eight Flash decks in the Top 8—It's that much better than every other deck in the formatl
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Sadin
    Oh, definitely (That Flash will be banned). Even without Future Sight it is too good. People who thought anything else before this tournament had just not seen tuned Flash decks. If you re-ran Columbus 20 times, Gadiel and I would have 12 Top 8s each, Billy would have 10, and Julian would have 2-4.
    Thank fucking God. It's like a breath of fresh air. For a while it felt like I was in a fucking madhouse with all the idiots running around talking about how fair Flash was and that it's just another combo deck.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Worst character ever
    Sep 2004
    Newton, MA

Re: [Article] Flashy Finish

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mf147

Thank fucking God. It's like a breath of fresh air. For a while it felt like I was in a fucking madhouse with all the idiots running around talking about how fair Flash was and that it's just another combo deck.
    That may be true, but the Flash mirror is an awful lot of fun to play all day, even if it means the tournament takes about five minutes to finish.
    -Slay
    OH SHIT THERES A HORSE IN THE HOSPITAL

Team Slay and Lego: Slay your a tool and your glasses are almost as GAY as your retarded snitch of a boyfriend Lego. Lego focus on your own game you are a fucking clown and should have heard the rediculous amount of people saying how much of a dick you were being and what kind of a fool you are. I laugh at you two. Seriously you both need attitude adjustments. I have never encountered a larger pair of pussy bitches in my whole life.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Do you really think so? I hated the mirror. It was simply dumb, and a headache I didn't need when I was already under stress. Maybe that's just because I got curbstomped both times.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Worst character ever
    Sep 2004
    Newton, MA

I do. You don't really need to try, or make difficult decisions. Your hand is either better than your opponent's or it isn't, and you mull till you get it that way. It's a refreshing minigame after fighting through aggro-control all day.
    -Slay

Team Slay and Lego: Slay your a tool and your glasses are almost as GAY as your retarded snitch of a boyfriend Lego. Lego focus on your own game you are a fucking clown and should have heard the rediculous amount of people saying how much of a dick you were being and what kind of a fool you are. I laugh at you two. Seriously you both need attitude adjustments. I have never encountered a larger pair of pussy bitches in my whole life.

It's kind of awesome to have all these articles about Flash popping up everywhere. (Two have been published today, in addition to the Unlocking Legacy column.) Even if they say substantively the same things, most of which I and most of our community already knew, it really brings home how much publicity Flash has given the Legacy format.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

This article made me breathe a sigh of relief. At least people are starting to recognize how unfair Flash is.

While certainly not unbeatable, the fact that it managed to make 3 top 8 appearances as well as winning the damn GP through all that hate is nothing to sneeze at. Even if the deck can be beaten, the format it takes to do that just isn't that fun.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Remind me to hug Mike Flores in the odd chance I ever meet him. And buy him a full meal at Taco Bell.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Everybody's a jerk! You, me..........this jerk.
    Jan 2006
    DuPont Circle

Do you really think so? I hated the mirror. It was simply dumb, and a headache I didn't need when I was already under stress. Maybe that's just because I got curbstomped both times.
    Ask URABAHN about his and Mad Zur's Flash mirror draw at Rockville. It was the only time I've seen Gearhart speechless.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGruber View Post
    Look, I will suck your dick. I will suck your fucking dick. I will do it, just join my team. I’ll suck your dick. You can fuck me or get fucked by me. You can watch me fuck something. Just point at something, I’ll fuck it for you. Just tell me what you want me to fuck!
    ~ Team Unicorn Motto

Banned
    Jun 2006
    Columbus, OH

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    And buy him a full meal at Taco Bell.
    He would probably spend an hour talking about how the value menu is perfectly balanced, only to feel that he didn't get enough food for his money at the end of the meal.

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

Thank fucking God.

Word.

Etherium is limited. Innovation is not.
    Aug 2006
    Columbus, OH

Players were calling decks like Max's "Fish," but it is actually more reminiscent of Ben Rubin's Dump Truck than the combo killer Nicholas Lebarre took to the Pro Tour–Rome Finals (where he nevertheless lost to the title to 800 pound gorilla Academy). Max's deck combines some of the format's best cards in a package that was billed to beat Hulk Flash; Meddling Mage, Force of Will, Swords to Plowshares, Stifle, and Daze, combined with a reasonable clock, are all strong disruptive elements. Like Bill, Max could sideboard in Leyline of the Void for a quick and highly effective measure against the core Hulk Flash combination.
    I'm glad Mike Flores is supporting the Flash ban, but I really didn't like this bit at all. This pretty much pissed me off. I know Mike Flores is a Pro and everything... but how the hell can he say what is and isn't Fish in Legacy? That's what it is... it's frickin Fish. Additionally, I don't like how he says that the deck was built speficially to beat Hulk Flash. The deck was built as a general disruptive aggro/control deck. Grrrrrrrr...

I just wanted to get that off my chest. Carry on.

Whaaaaaaat is this? A magicthegathering.com article on Legacy that is actually (for the most part) factually correct? Nice. I'm a bit sad he didn't mention the surprise unbanning of Imperial Seal, though. Although, since Flores isn't technically a WoTC employee, I guess only Brian David-Marshall would know.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post
    I'm glad Mike Flores is supporting the Flash ban, but I really didn't like this bit at all. This pretty much pissed me off. I know Mike Flores is a Pro and everything... but how the hell can he say what is and isn't Fish in Legacy? That's what it is... it's frickin Fish. Additionally, I don't like how he says that the deck was built speficially to beat Hulk Flash. The deck was built as a general disruptive aggro/control deck. Grrrrrrrr...

He also said the deck is actually based off of Ben Rubin's Dump Truck. I would like to say semi-true. Duress + Meddling Mage + card drawing Wizard kinda shares that element with your deck. Only difference is that they run Silver Bullets and proactive disruption than the standard Fish, while you run more reactive disruption.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Hanni View Post

People also say you invented UBw Fish. You win some, you lose some.

Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Ask URABAHN about his and Mad Zur's Flash mirror draw at Rockville. It was the only time I've seen Gearhart speechless.
    How the hell does the Flash Mirror result in a draw?

Quote Originally Posted by IBA
    Wasn't your build designed with the mirror in mind?

I personally didn't mind the mirror as I beat it three times.

Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    I do. You don't really need to try, or make difficult decisions. Your hand is either better than your opponent's or it isn't, and you mull till you get it that way. It's a refreshing minigame after fighting through aggro-control all day.
    -Slay
    Mulling in the mirror isn't very good. Daze, Force, and Duress are key. Or having the nuts draw. That always helps too.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare
    People also say you invented UBw Fish. You win some, you lose some.
    And if you were playing fish chances are you were losing.

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Dec 2003
    Fredericksburg, Va

My best memory of the mirror match comes from being savaged by Ben Lundquist in Columbus.

Game one, I went for the kill, with Force backup, on turn 2 or 3. Ben responded by playing Flash. I thought about it, but decided that I had to Force it. He then pointed a Force of his own at my Flash.

The bluff bought him enough time to assemble his own combo off of a lucky Vault a few turns later.

The second game was even better. An early Duress left Ben with a Mystical Tutor and two Dazes, while I had the combo, Force protection, and an Extirpate, but only three lands. At some point, I played a mainphase Brainstorm to dig for land and more protection, and he responded with a Daze.

I paid one, and he Dazed again. I paid the one again, tapping out. He then responded further by Tutoring for Flash, Brainstorming, and going off through my Force of Will with my Brainstorm still on the stack.

I agree with Jack. It's nice to see an article that finally gives Flash the credit it deserves. Flores even (correctly) identifies the deck as absurd before Future Sight.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9
    I can show up whenever I vomit off my hangover and get rid of the passed out females who's naked bodies will be sprawled out all over my condo. Oh wait, I'm engaged. FUCK.

Well in that case I can be there at like 2 then, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheBestEver View Post
    I built my car with my bare hands. It has 32 engines and 17 gas pedals so I can go extra-turbo fast. I sold it for a million dollars and then stole it from the guy using my super computer that can hack into any car in the world as long as I built it. Now I speed down the highway listening to Bruce Springsteen at max volume and flipping off other drivers.

What are regrets?

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Flash was dumb. Good thing it's over.

I never got the chance to play the mirror at the GP : /

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose View Post
    He would probably spend an hour talking about how the value menu is perfectly balanced, only to feel that he didn't get enough food for his money at the end of the meal.
    That isn't possible. Taco Bell is like paying 0 for a draw 7.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Worst character ever
    Sep 2004
    Newton, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    That isn't possible. Taco Bell is like paying 0 for a draw 7.
    Yeah but a few hours later you discard your hand.
    -Slay

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    Yeah but a few hours later you discard your hand.
    -Slay
    Never had that happen to me. And I work there.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Thread Information