Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: B/R update!

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Re: B/R update!

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'll be honest, I spent all night testing Vintage. The Legacy changes are self-evident, but the Vintage ones are bound to shake things up quite a bit. Either way, what an exiting time for Eternal Magic players!
    I agree. Legacy has a couple new toys for us to try and re-break (I think Replenish will come a lot closer to seeing play than Mind Over Costed, but you never know.)

And I also agree with Jack. Mind Twist legal in Vintage in four ofs = supreme sexy cake. I don't know a lot about Vintage as I haven't played it since the Psychatog days and early Tinker-Colossus, but this makes me wonder how Moxed up I'd have to get to try getting back into it.

And yes, that was a solid argument backing Land Tax staying banned. It would definitely make the format less fun. Life From The Loam has sort of filled Land Tax's role nowadays anyway. And it's more fun.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Monster Xero
    Sep 2006
    Minneapolis

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post

And yes, that was a solid argument backing Land Tax staying banned. It would definitely make the format less fun. Life From The Loam has sort of filled Land Tax's role nowadays anyway. And it's more fun.
    Couldn't the same argument against Tax be used against Survival though? It seems to me that things like "taking a long time"/"being annoying" shouldn't be enough to keep a card banned.
    Team ICBE

Try not to wake up on fire.

Worldslayer
    Dec 2005
    MA

The rise of Mono black hand Destroy in vintage has a completely new meaning...
    UR Dreadstill creator and BRx WGD Combo Pioneer
    Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    EDIT: and Roodmistah. If Dreadstill sucks then he's been mopping up the East Coast with a "crap" deck and making you all look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi View Post
    "Protection from player" is like a joke ability from Unglued. Ban this crap from legacy asap.

May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    Couldn't the same argument against Tax be used against Survival though? It seems to me that things like "taking a long time"/"being annoying" shouldn't be enough to keep a card banned.
    Very interesting point.

Survival's at least fun for the player doing it, though. Same with the entire deck of Solidarity. Besides, running Survival has the built-in penalty of having to buy new sleeves more often.

Land Tax isn't all that orgasmic for anyone involved.

Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Land Tax isn't all that orgasmic for anyone involved.
    I dunno, the guy on the card looks like he's having a fucking blast.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

YES WE CAN
    Sep 2005
    GMU

[Discussion] June 1st BnR Changes

(If this is in the wrong place, I trust the mods will move it to the appropriate forum.)

So the changes to the Banned and Restricted List have been announced! I know there's already a thread in Community about it, but that one's all "OMG Flash is banned" and "Did you guys see Vintage?" Here we can maybe make some serious metagame predictions?

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x...e/dci20070601a

For Legacy:

Flash is banned
    Mind Over Matter is unbanned
    Replenish is unbanned
    Well, it looks like we can have our format back, what with the banning of Flash and all. People have been calling for Mind Over Matter to come off for awhile now, and I'm not really surprised or worried. The one that seems to be the most interesting here is Replenish.

So how do people expect the format to look once these changes go into effect? Will everything go right back to how it was pre-Flash madness? Will Fish be more popular now that more people have picked it up? Will some kind of Replenish deck start turning out numbers? Can we still play with pump-knights?
    TEAM DRAGONFORCIA-
    Ghost ridin' the whip like we invented that shit.
    TEAM UNICORN
    We're going for number four!

Viva la pimienta!
    Feb 2005
    Danville, IL

Well, this is all a relief. I'm glad to finally have my favorite format back. But, hang on a sec....

Fuck you, Flash.

That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Burton
    What does that mean? Huh? "China is here." I don't even know what the hell that means. All I know is that this Lo Pan character comes out of thin air in the middle of a goddamn alley while his buddies are flying around on wires cutting everybody to shreds, and he just STANDS there! Waiting for me to drive my truck straight through him, with LIGHT coming out of his mouth!

...at that moment I was a marine biologist.
    Nov 2003
    Albany

PandeBurst here I come!

Flash is banned but something interesting unbanned

I think we all knew or most everyone knew the writings on the wall and knew flash was gone but the unbannings while still very conservative do seem interesting. Mind over matter doesn`t seem as though it can or will do much of anything but replenish might mainly because of the new mechanic dredge. I imagine a dredge style replenish list might be about as fast or a litttle slower than TES but overall it seems like it will just be another relatively fast and/or stable combo deck that seems as though it won`t cause any problems. It will be fun experimenting with replenish lists though. What does everyone else think?

As an aside I feel like they may have let loose a few too many cards at once in vintage. The scariest to me looks like gush because I remember the dark days of tog but it may be true as they say that tog isn`t that great in vintage anymore. Restricting gifts seemed pretty obvious to me for a long time and I don`t even really play vintage. I mean for christs sake the card got 4 restricted cards out of your deck putting two of them in the yard and 2 in your hand then you just will everything back. Dumb. I never quite understood why they left gifts unrestricted which was clearly more powerful than fact but banned fact. I`m glad the DCI has finally decided to do something with the eternal formats. Its a breath of fresh air
    To not thirst for power is to be at the mercy of those that do

May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Afro View Post
    PandeBurst here I come!
    I can feel my Pithing Needles increase in value as we speak.

Undefined Fantastic Object

Oct 2006
    Waterloo, Canada

I can feel my Pithing Needles increase in value as we speak.
    I suspect that penderburst is not all that broken. It dies to GY hate, which everyone and thier dogs runs these days. It requires 4 mana and a setup. I'm more bent to the side of Uwg control replenish. Gifts and Intuition should be pretty hot in that kind of deck.
    She said, "You're broken."
    "So is your face." replied the Tarmogoyf.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

Love the changes. I really like the treatment Vintage got too though. Mind Twist and Black Vise are nice, but the real star of that short list is Gush. Go go Gro-A-Tog!

As for Legacy, I think they coulda been a bit more aggressive in slowing down the format by hacking Lackey and some accelerant, but the obvious things that needed to be done were done. And for that, I thank them.

Banned
    Jun 2006
    Columbus, OH

I really wish Lion's Eye Diamond would have been banned, but you can't win them all.

Also, fuck Gadiel Szleifer. Fuck him in his rectum. That is all...

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Eldariel View Post
    As for Legacy, I think they coulda been a bit more aggressive in slowing down the format by hacking Lackey and some accelerant, but the obvious things that needed to be done were done. And for that, I thank them.
    Yeah, I'd have stuck Vial or Lackey on there myself.

Re: Flash. I think we all saw this coming--good to see it in print though. I appreciated Forsythe's thoughts on it too.

Re: Replenish. Meh, I don't do combo--have fun with it I guess.

Re: Mind over Matter. Seems like a casual card, really. Have you seen the casting cost on that thing? UUUU2. Sweet Jesus.

Anyway, it's a good day.

Quote Originally Posted by Caboose
    Also, fuck Gadiel Szleifer. Fuck him in his rectum. That is all...
    'Might as well spell his name wrong then, no?

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Xero View Post
    I think slow and annoying alone aren't enough to prevent a card's legality, but adding into that the fact that it punishes players for doing something as fundamental as playing a land on their first turn? Seems like the combination of the two is reasonable justification. Survival is super strong, but it doesn't punish you for playing creatures of your own, for example.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Whew. I never thought that I'd be glad that Goblins is the best deck in the format. Now that it's back though, Sliver's best matchup is relevant again! Yippee!

As far as unbanning Replenish, I think that's awesome. PandeBurst is far from broken, but it still looks like it would be a blast to re-tune for the modern meta. Off the top of my head, I think TfK will be teh hotness. edit: And by TfK I mean Gifts, or LftL, or any of the other things that are better than TfK.

Mind Over Matter....meh, I can't think of any way off the top of my head to break it. I doubt it will see too much play. Of course, that just means that someone needs to come along and prove me wrong.

As far as Vintage....Key and Vise I can see, and to a lesser extent Gush, but unrestricted Mind Twist? WTF? I dunno. We'll have to see.

I sorta think they could unban Gush in Legacy, too, but maybe I'm crazy.

Glad that they restricted Gifts, though. That thing was everywhere.
    Last edited by Pinder; 06-01-2007 at 02:37 PM.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Heh. I just remembered. I can't find the old link, but I have to get up Sunday morning and go to church now.

May 2007
    R.I.T

Flash is banned. Legacy is back. I'm happy.

I have no clue about the Vintage changes, as I don't play that format.

Clay Aiken
    Jun 2005
    Mooshie's Grove

Quote Originally Posted by Roodmistah View Post
    The rise of Mono black hand Destroy in vintage has a completely new meaning...
    Fuck yes, I'm all about a Workshop deck that'll play 4x Black Vise AND 4x Mind Twist. Isn't that hot?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

Thread Information