Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magic-League

Trapped inside my embryonic cell
    Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

Re: Magic-League

I have mixed feelings on M-L.

First of all, it is free MTG play, which is of course great. It also has tournaments to test out my decks in a competative environment.

However, I have many problems with it. First, yes, the meta is substandard and not at all a representation of the real Legacy meta. The past two trials I've seen, Burn came in third place (and the burn list honestly looked like it was just thrown together). Also, the fact that it is single elimination makes it much more luck-based. (I realize doing Swiss would probably take much too long; I'm just adressing the fact that single elimination is worse than Swiss on many levels) Also, I have had MANY bad experiences with the people on M-L. I've seen many people who are just dicks, yelling at you, calling you a "n00b", etc. I've also had people who have been way too stringent. Someone refused to face me because I put Brainstorm in the graveyard before resolving it (i.e. I put it on the table, put it in the 'yard, drew my three, and put back two, as opposed to putting it on the table, drawing my three, putting back two, and then putting it in the 'yard). When I asked why it mattered, he gave me something along the lines of " 'You're right, rules are stupid.' Sphinx draws 3 cards. Sphinx creates a 100/100 token." He then went on to give me a lecture about how I'm not actually playing Magic becasue I don't follow the rules verbatim. One last thing is that a judge gave me an incorrect ruling (He told me Glittering Wish couldn't fetch Fire//Ice.). I know, it is only one judge and only one mistake, but it still shows how M-L can be rather subpar at times.

Overall, M-L is good for the occasional Legacy trial, and good if you're in the mood to draft. I don't frequent it anymore, put I'll go on every now and then. I'd much rather just play over MWS/Apprentice with someone I know.

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    After reading this thread, it appears you're in the minority as far as bumping into cheaters and assholes in Magic-League Tournaments. You're being just a little naive if you think that people aren't going to go to extreme lengths to cheat you out of a free online magic game.
    As one of the m-l judges and as a frequent player, I don't find the amount of cheaters and assholes on m-l as high. It is certainly not more than anywhere in general and we are dealing with them. And its far less than on mwsplay (just check out that "Beating your head against the wall" thread). Anyway, I'm not convincing you to play here, its just that a lot of people miss the great opportunity of quality testing and general enjoyment.

KillemallCFH, I'd just add that there are quite a few of these "I know" people on m-l with whom I (and in fact anyone) can play and some of them are even sourcers :)
    Last edited by Tinefol; 06-13-2007 at 07:37 AM. Reason: typos

Look, it's a picture of Daze!
    Jan 2007
    Vienna, Austria

I also have been playing Legacy on M-L A LOT (I exclusively play online), and have almost never had to deal with badly behaving, or even cheating, players.

I've also had hardly any problems with the time-out rule - people play at a reasonable pace even if they win game one. Also, most games I've played didn't even go to time (but that may have to do with my preference for Aggro and Combo decks ;)
    georgjorge
    Geistreich sind schon die anderen.

Thread Information