Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Article] Legacy Threshold - Part VI

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

[Article] Legacy Threshold - Part VI

Article

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Overall, the evolution of my version of the deck over time has been to maximize the deck's clock speed and aggression, focusing a great deal of attention to attaining maximum early-game disruption. Who needs a late game when you can just win instead?
    Basically, an update of my version of Threshold that I've been playing since September, 2004.

Re: [Article] Legacy Threshold - Part VI

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Article

Basically, an update of my version of Threshold that I've been playing since September, 2004.
    Uh...is your list supposed to be creatureless, or am I on crack?

EDIT: Guessing from the article, I'd say you're running 4 Goose, 4 Mage, 4 Goyf...?

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies View Post
    Uh...is your list supposed to be creatureless, or am I on crack?

EDIT: Guessing from the article, I'd say you're running 4 Goose, 4 Mage, 4 Goyf...?
    Many, many thanks for point that out. SCG has fixed that part.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Yay! Another Thresh artice by Bardo. Anyways, I love seeing you write about this deck (even though it has cards like Mental Note and bashed Hatfield Thresh really badly).

Tarmogoyf is a monster on turn 2. Whoever discovered that thing for this deck is a genius (I think it must've been you).

Anyways, thank you for the article.

A~A.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

That list at the end of the article is sexy.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Good article.

But i found one thing very odd: You countered Natural Order with Spell Snare?

Look, it's a picture of Daze!
    Jan 2007
    Vienna, Austria

I seem to remember that you talked about Counterbalance in Threshold in a previous article...has it not been turning out well for you ? I am currently playing them in UGr Thresh, and find it quite good, as Top is pretty solid on its own, and Counterbalance is spectacular at times...
    georgjorge
    Geistreich sind schon die anderen.

Superhero Hamster
    Jun 2007
    Belgium

Quote Originally Posted by Barook View Post
    Good article.

But i found one thing very odd: You countered Natural Order with Spell Snare?
    He is l33t like that.
    Suddenly! Pints of beer! Thousands of th~ ... Nope. Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by article
    Captain Adam J Barnello, Esq. (seriously)
    Greatest shout out ever, even if you did steal the materiel for his next bio. I was gonna have him be a captain in the ATF, struggling through the death of his family by the Mexican drug lord Cálasso Savala Rodriguez Rodriguez Rodriguez de Flandres III.

This was probably my favorite of all your articles yet. I love the deck list, will probalby drop the snares for good ol' counterspells. My only question about the deck is why just the one explosives? I really think that it's worth running two, maybe like a 1/1 MB/SB split.

Solid work, in-depth explinations. A great way to say goodbye.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

#1 Asshole
    Oct 2005
    MI

I like the article, but it's so hard to take seriously when you kept talking about countering Daze with Spell Snare!!!!

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Great article. I've been in love with Spell Snare for quite some time, nice to see it get the nod over that clunky Counterspell.

Have you considered -1 Meddling Mage, +1 Werebear in the MD? I prefer that configuration in the Mental Note version, myself.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    What are you trying to say?
    I think his point is that Tarmogoyf is so good that it doesn't matter whether the picture is good or bad because he would still play it.

@Bardo - Do you think playing Spell Snare is still good in Post-Flash Legacy? I think it makes your Goblin matchup weaker and probably your control matchup weaker as well.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

[Edit]: From a earlier post that was moved to another forum

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo
    Heck, I'd even play Tarmogoyf if it depicted My Little Pony living on a cloud made of lollipops and puppy dogs
    Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore
    What are you trying to say?
    [/edit]

Quote Originally Posted by AnwarA101 View Post
    I think his point is that Tarmogoyf is so good that it doesn't matter whether the picture is good or bad because he would still play it.
    I gathered as much, but I wont tolerate slander of My Little Pony .
    Last edited by Happy Gilmore; 06-14-2007 at 05:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

I moved the discussion on the Words Enchantments and Pithing Needle to the appropriate Forum. Let's keep this thread focused on the article, thanks.

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

You countered Natural Order with Spell Snare?
    1337ness, indeed. Sorry, my notes are a mess. It was either Daze of Force, not Spell Snare. Sorry for that.

I love the deck list, will probalby drop the snares for good ol' counterspells. My only question about the deck is why just the one explosives? I really think that it's worth running two, maybe like a 1/1 MB/SB split.
    First, try the Snares before you drop them for CSpells. I've been playing CSpell in this deck for literally years and was not sad to see them go (for now).

Re: Explosives. I've been running them even before my first post at TMD (post #4), so I know what I'm giving up. In the abstract it's good with Tarmogoyf, but after loads of games (in the article and in all of my pre-GP testing leading up to that article), I really haven't missed them. And since so much of what I used to blow up cost 2, it's far easier to counter it on the stack for 1 mana, than nuke it on the board for 4.

Overall, Pithing Needle just seemed to do more and do it just cheaper.

Solid work, in-depth explinations. A great way to say goodbye.
    Thanks. :)

I like the article, but it's so hard to take seriously when you kept talking about countering Daze with Spell Snare!!!!
    Heh, sorry. I agree it doesn't make sense. If you can pay U for Snare, might as well pay 1 for Daze. I'll attribute that to mental laziness, when I was just pouring over Flash lists and picking out the 2 cmc spells.

Have you considered -1 Meddling Mage, +1 Werebear in the MD? I prefer that configuration in the Mental Note version, myself.
    I'd probably go -1 MM +1 Enforcer, honestly, since I was doing that so often. With 4/4 Gofys/Geese, I don't think I need another ground-pounder.

Exactly. My Little Pony isn't really what you want to be looking at when playing a fantasy-themed card game. Maybe if I were an eight year-old girl though... ;)

@Bardo - Do you think playing Spell Snare is still good in Post-Flash Legacy?
    I think so, yes--for the reasons I listed in the article.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Heh, sorry. I agree it doesn't make sense. If you can pay U for Snare, might as well pay 1 for Daze. I'll attribute that to mental laziness, when I was just pouring over Flash lists and picking out the 2 cmc spells.
    It's clear that you meant Snare targeting Daze is a solid play. +1 Thresh for the win, fuckers.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Thanks for the series of in depth and well articulated articles. Your's were my favorite to read since you maintain a professional demeanor and dont pretend to know about things your not a professional on. Ill take your advice on Thresh any day.
    Now playing real formats.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Achilles' Heel. It's a reference to the back of the dude's foot where he got arrowed'ed.

Of all of the Threshold players at the GP, Paul was the only one to make the cut to the Top 8. This same 4/4/4 configuration was also used by Helmut Summersburger to win Grand Prix: Lille, which is what convinced me to test Mental Note in the first place, as well as Pat McGregor to make the Top 8 at Grand Prix: Philadelphia. I find it hard to argue with success, but if you live in Virginia, I'm sure you'll find a way.
    The Columbus list and winning list from Lille also both ran Fire/Ice and Lightning Bolt. It seems odd to appeal to winning lists for part of your decision, but not follow that logic through to it's natural conclusion and just run the decklist in question. The only thing I can imagine is that you assume that, despite their success, you feel that you are able to make improvements upon the archetype. That's fine, but it deflates your "can't argue with success" argument entirely.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Nov 2004
    Portland, Oregon

Quote Originally Posted by IBA
    Achilles' Heel. It's a reference to the back of the dude's foot where he got arrowed'ed.
    Yep, I know the story, and I know that I always type that wrong... Ugh.

The Columbus list and winning list from Lille also both ran Fire/Ice and Lightning Bolt. It seems odd to appeal to winning lists for part of your decision, but not follow that logic through to it's natural conclusion and just run the decklist in question.
    My posture should always be clear in my articles (I hope): here are the tools I used, this is the house I built. Build your own house and use whatever tools work for you. Apart from the section on Tarmogoyf, which I posit as being superior to Werebear in the Threshold shell, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. I'm sharing my thoughts and experience. Do with it as you will and take it for whatever you feel it is worth.

The only thing I can imagine is that you assume that, despite their success, you feel that you are able to make improvements upon the archetype. That's fine, but it deflates your "can't argue with success" argument entirely.
    I make no such assumptions. See above.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

But if your argument for the validity of your article is going to be "This is my house", then the argument for Mental Note that "This is what someone else's house looks like and look how well it went" becomes invalid. The latter could only be valid if you were trying to use previous success to argue that such-and-such was a superior choice based simply on results. That argument delegitimizes your entire deck.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Thread Information