Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pithing Needle and the Words Enchantments

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Re: Pithing Needle and the Words Enchantments

The 2nd Landstill list is 43 land. Good post!

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

It's colon. Not colen, or collen, or any other bastardization. Colon.

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

I got a Needle question for someone: If a Darkheart Sliver (sac for 3 life) and a Mindlash Sliver (sac to create discard) are in play and someone Needles the Minlash can I:

A) Still sac the Mindlash to gain 3 life
    B) Still sac the Darkheart for discard
    c) All of the above
    D) None of the Above

My guess would be that ONLY the discard effect on the Mindlash itself would be halted. Any other Sliver would still have the discard ability and Mindlash would still have any other activated abilities given to it by other Slivers.

I just wanted to be sure.
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

You couldn't activate any ability on the Mindlash Sliver.
    However no other slivers would be affected so you could cause discard by sacing a different sliver.

Trapped inside my embryonic cell
    Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

I'm pretty sure that the Mindlash Sliver would be rendered useless, but the Darkheart sliver could still use the abilities of both (i.e. he could sac to gain life or sac to discard). The Mindlash couldn't use the Darkheart ability because the Darkheart is giving the Mindlash an activated ability, but because of Needle, it is unable to use any activated abilities, including ones given by other slivers.

(Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm pretty sure I'm right.)

EDIT: Beaten to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg 'IdrA' Fields
    good sir, you appear to be somewhat lacking in intelligence. please refrain from posting until this is remedied, since it renders your opinions slightly less than correct and has a tendency to irritate more informed forum-goers.

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

Okay, good. So Needle negates ANY activated abilities on the named card no matter where they came from.

Thanks guys,
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

I have Sylvan library and Words of whatever on the table, and four cards in hand. I tap trhee mana into the words enchantment during my upkeep, and "draw," instead doing six damage, or making three bears, or whatever. Do I have to put two cards back down or lose eight life? I ask because I don't believe I've drawn those cards, as per library's text.

Let me clarify a bit more. I stack the three draws, pump words for three draws instead. Library only effects cards actually drawn, correct? Somebody help, please.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

You dont have to put 2 back/pay 8 life, because Sylvan Library hasnt seen you as having drawn those cards (after all you didnt), so you dont have to pay for them at all. Basically Sylvan Library = 3 Words Activations or 3 Dredges without any costs of Library.

Quote Originally Posted by Happy Gilmore View Post
    Sigh, someone in the past playing Words of " " convinced me it was triggered, and I am sure I lost that game because of it. Fuck that’s aggravating. Next time I call the god damn judge.
    You should always call the judge if there is any question. That's what they're there for.
    You should also just know these interactions if you want to play in a tournament.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

That was actually a discussion on the MtG Rules Digest over this.

It is the responsibility of the PLAYER to know the rules. If a judge makes an incorrect ruling that causes an bad play, it is the player's fault (although the head judge will be expected to apologize.)

If the judge makes an incorrect ruling in a play during the play, that is a different matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

Since it's come up in the Eternal Garden thread I'll ask here again for clarification.
    If I activate Sylvan Library but replace only 1 draw with dredge or Words do I have to put back 1 or 2 cards?
    http://www.starcitygames.com/pages/j...k+The+Judge%21
    The first answer in this link indicates you have to put back 2 because Library takes all cards drawn so far into consideration but the second answer says you don't have to put back any.
    Do I have to replace both Sylvan Library draws to keep the card drawn this turn?
    "Anybody want some . . . toast?" —Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

Two. Note that Library is triggered, not activated.

But if you draw two off library and replace one draw you must still put two cards back. If you cannot put two (you ended up drawing less than 2 at that point) then you instead put as many back as you have drawn this turn.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

That other Stax guy
    Dec 2004
    Germany

Ah thanks. I had the same thought but wasn't 100% sure because of the ruling at "Ask the Judge". Btw Nihil explained it really nice:
    At the beginning of your draw step, you may draw two cards. If you do, choose two cards in your hand drawn this turn. For each of those cards, pay 4 life or put the card on top of your library.

So, here is how you proceed:

Draw your card for the turn (#1).

Library's triggered ability resolves. If you choose to do nothing, fine. Otherwise, you get to draw two cards (#2 and #3). In the latter case, you have to choose "two cards in your hand drawn this turn".

Now, if you dredge-replaced at most one of your three draws, then you do have two cards-in-your-hand-drawn-this-turn (the ones from the draws you didn't replace). You choose those cards, and have to decide whether to put them back or pay 4-8 life.

If you dredge-replaced exactly two draws, then you have only one card-in-your-hand-drawn-this-turn. By the rules, you perform as much of the card's instruction as possible, i.e. you choose one card-in-your-hand-drawn-this-turn. Then "for each of those cards", i.e. for that one card, you have to decide whether to put it back or pay 4 life.

If you dredge-replaced all three draws, then you don't have any cards satisfying the requirement. Then, "for each of those cards", i.e. for zero cards, you have to do some stuff - so you do nothing.
    "Anybody want some . . . toast?" —Jaya Ballard, Task Mage

Thread Information