Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: [Hypothetical] Fixing Green

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: [Hypothetical] Fixing Green

Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape View Post
    #1. Why?

#2. Well, in fairness, the original post specified that these designs were for Legacy only. And in further fairness, I don't think this guy's all that much better than Troll Ascetic, which has become core. They can just print him along with a Pyroclasm-clone and everybody's happy. I'm actually most proud of this card.

#3. I don't think your print is any more powerful, but it gives me an idea for a compromise here. What about:
    Taipan's Fangs

Enchantment - Aura
    Enchant creature
    Split Second
    Enchanted creature has Deathtouch and Provoke.
    Whenever Taipan's Fangs would be put into a graveyard from play, return Taipan's Fangs to its owner's hand.

Alternately, either one could be given Split Second. Split Second would make the Aura far more appealing by getting rid of the 2 for 1 thing and making the Rancor ability absolute.

#4. Alright, valid point. I don't think I'd ever want Lonelybaritone getting ahold of this card. I might cry.

#5. Alright then. What if we merge cards #4 and #5 into some kind of Vanishing Green Shroud Leyline?
    #1: How the hell should I know? It's Wizard's guideline, not mine.

#2: I saw it from a more realistic point. Limited has already ruined alot of otherwise fun cards.

#3: That's probably the best approach yet.

#4 & #5: That just sounds like a bad card that's still too non-interactive.

Aug 2006
    Omaha

I have a pipe dream that wizards will stop making cards for limited. I think I will be dreaming for a long, long time. But I digress. I see a lot of good ideas in this thread. I think what green really lacks is instant speed/hasty things. Then it might be too good. Who knows, really.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Oh well, I'll cave.

I'd like to see something like;

Card-Drawing Guy
    3GG
    Creature- Hermit
    Echo, Flash
    When Card-Drawing Guy comes into play, draw three cards.
    2/4

But I think White and Black need more work. White needs more control elements that aren't just creature kill, and Black needs some creatures that are good without Dark Ritual.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Aug 2006
    Omaha

What type of control elements, IBA? I mean, Ghostly Prison, Solitary Confinement, Parallax Wave, Rule of Law, and so on. Paired up with some brown white has some formidable control pieces.

9 land stompy is really the only viable green aggro deck in the format and if it wasnt for the 60 dollar berserks it be a relitively cheap and efficient beatdown deck. Between the kavu predator and invigorate interaction plus berserk the deck can put on a turn 3 or 4 clock, but I guess its to fragile to play or something, maybe if there was a creature like

GG
    Old Elf
    Activated abilities that produce mana cant be played.
    1/1

it can be a turn 1 drop off a ESG and shuts of LED, chrome mox, and petal. It gives more time for green to race and isnt completely overpowering IMHO.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Uhh....wouldn't that last one stop lands too, they still have an activated ability even though its not written out...

And they already did the card I think you were trying to make in Null Rod.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    Uhh....wouldn't that last one stop lands too, they still have an activated ability even though its not written out...

And they already did the card I think you were trying to make in Null Rod.

I like it.

Nulling Rodney

Creature-Elf Druid

Players cannot play any artifact abilities requiring an activation cost.

3/1

Here is my thought on the subject:

Meddling Gardener

Creature- Elf Shaman

Shroud
    Tap an untapped creature you control: target land's type becomes the basic land type of your choice until end of turn.
    1/1

It servers two functions, a mana fixer and the ability to mess with your opponents mana. The perfect green utility creature imo.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Nov 2003
    Arizona

The problem with creating something full of green flavor is that Wizards has already declared White the weenie color and rule setting color, which is something green could do well. Instead they've decided green is all about super fatties, which is fine, but gives the color no hope in actually controlling the game which all the other mono colors can do (white w/ StP, blue w/ counter, black w/ disruption, red w/ damage). Green needs access to something that help control their board, something like:

GG
    Return to Nature
    Instant
    Kicker G
    Remove all non-creature spells from the stack
    If you paid the kicker cost Return to Nature has Split Second
    REVOLT!

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Quote Originally Posted by HPC View Post
    The problem with creating something full of green flavor is that Wizards has already declared White the weenie color and rule setting color, which is something green could do well. Instead they've decided green is all about super fatties, which is fine, but gives the color no hope in actually controlling the game which all the other mono colors can do (white w/ StP, blue w/ counter, black w/ disruption, red w/ damage). Green needs access to something that help control their board, something like:

GG
    Return to Nature
    Instant
    Kicker G
    Remove all non-creature spells from the stack
    If you paid the kicker cost Return to Nature has Split Second
    Oooo...I like that...although its probably either too good or two slow.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

The problem with green is two-fold & many people have already addressed the issue of lack-of-removal (I especially like the provoke options, which fit with green's theme of creatures, and the recurring Elvish Javelineers). The other problem with green is the inability to disrupt combo going off on your face. My off-the-top-of-my-head fix would be....a creature, of course

Llanowar Flagbearer 2/1 Elf Flagbearer
    Flash
    Echo

While Llanowar Flagbearer is in play, target spell or effect which could target a Flagbearer in play, must target a Flagbearer in play.

While not perfect, it allows Green the opportunity to address combo effects like Goblin Charbelcher & removal slotted for more sensitive creatures.
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Green, right now, is better than white and black. The only reason you don't see a monocolor deck is because with so many cards and so many mana fixing (at which green is supposedly good) you are imposing yourself an arbitrary deckbuilding restriction by not splashing other colors.

If I had to design a green card to 'fix' it, it would be this:
    Ground Herder G
    Creature - Human druid
    Permanents you control have protection from non-basic lands.
    1/1

bye, bye, wastelands.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I guess I didn't make this clear enough in my opening post, but I'm not really interested in a debate over whether there is a problem with green. All I'm really interested is answers to the question in bold, so if you don't think there is a problem, you can simply say that you would design nothing (or simply design a cool card or set of cards that doesn't change green in any significant way).
    You put the inherent statement into your first post that green is weaker like it is general consensus and then you are surprised when I start discussing it?
    But OK, I'll stop discussion (Btw: ichneumon druid, dosan the falling leaf, gaea's blessing, naturalize are combo hate).

I'll just post some cards I created.

You all know that instants are a relatively overused card type compared to all other. Just look through your decklists. My honest oppinion is that instants need something to keep them a bit in check, a hoser, similar to humility for creatures.

Freedom of Mind 1GG
    Enchantment
    Instants can't be played.

I am well aware of the power level of this card, and it would shake things up. But I don't think it is too powerful. Oh, and it is also an anti combo card.

Animal Kingdom
    legendary land
    T: G
    T: GG if you control a creature

Excelleration that works from turn two is very important in green. Yummy, turn two natural order.

Jan 2006
    Germany

What about these suggestions for useful green removal.

Anti- mono green loses to everything

Legendary Creature - Fungus
    You don't lose the game for having 0 or less life,
    as long as you control another green creature.
    0/2

This will give you enough room to improve your board
    position against combo without being too good against
    control or aggro decks.

Green creature removal:

Creature - Elf
    Haste, Provoke, Deathtouch
    Except for creatures named ~this~ and artifact creatures,
    creatures you control can't attack.
    At end of turn, sacrifice ~this~
    1/1

You trade a combat phase and a card for a creature.

Creature - Elf
    Flash, Deathtouch
    ~This~ can only block two creatures.
    You may play this only in an opponents combat phase.
    At end of turn sacrifice ~this~
    2/1

You can get a 2 for 1 but your opponent will be cautious
    when you have 3 green mana open and he will be safe
    when he attacks with just one creature.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Why do all the cards need to be so commited to green. Last I checked even blue and red splash colors. I also don't see why green is the only color without creature removal. Red has burn, white has StP, blue got pongify, and black has a ton.

Anyways, I think green is a good splash color, but it needs creature removal and some combo hate. Can a reverse StP be printed?

???

Instant

Remove target creature from the game,
    you lose life equal to its casting cost.

I also think it needs cheaper, more powerful creatures. Big dudes can only get you so far.

???

Creature - Centaur Pimp

Trample
    When ever ~This~ deals damage to a player draw a card.

2/2

Maybe too good, but green needs good draw. Combo hate is difficult. I think this card's ability could be really cool.

???

Enchantment

Whenever an opponent plays a spell, you may discard a card with converted mana cost equal to that spell. If you do, counter that spell.

I don't know, but it sounds cool.

I had another idea.

We had desertstorm.

Why not:

Sandstorm
    Sorcery
    Destroy target permanent.

Useable in any green deck with a mana engine.

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

The main problem with green creature removal is that Wizards won't print it "because green doesn't get creature removal".

Considering the problem, Provoke was a quite good, flavorful solution, dealing with the removal problem via fat creatures. The only reason why Provoke horribly failed was crappy design (it was Legions, after all) which resulted in overcosted jank creatures nobody played.

Imho, Provoke definitely deserves a second chance to shine, but this time well-executed, similiar to Cycling in the Onslaught block.

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by greenmage View Post
    You all know that instants are a relatively overused card type compared to all other. Just look through your decklists. My honest oppinion is that instants need something to keep them a bit in check, a hoser, similar to humility for creatures.
    There's already a hoser for instants and as mentioned unfortunately it is blue. Teferi. It would have fitted green so well :-/

Quote Originally Posted by greenmage View Post
    I had another idea.
    We had desertstorm.
    Why not:
    Sandstorm
    Sorcery
    Destroy target permanent.
    More like Desert Twister. They would probably never print anything better than Desert Twister though. Or Unyaro Bee Sting for that matter. And nobody would play these cards, except in Limited. So permanent removal or direct damage spell is a dead way.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Tinefol View Post
    There's already a hoser for instants and as mentioned unfortunately it is blue. Teferi. It would have fitted green so well :-/
    http://magiccards.info/lg/en/105.html

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    Wow, it looks almost as janky as Unyaro Bee Sting. Probably even worse. Haha! Thanks for bringing it up, I never knew, even thought, such a card existed.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

It used to be a way for Survival to try and hose Solidarity. It didn't work, but they tried.

Thread Information