Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: The Cure (Kavu Predator / False Cure)

Re: The Cure (Kavu Predator / False Cure)

Sorry if I missed something, but isn't this a great place for Summoner's Pact? It'd find the Kavu or, more efficiently, be Skyshroud Cutter 5-8.

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Begle1 View Post
    Sorry if I missed something, but isn't this a great place for Summoner's Pact? It'd find the Kavu or, more efficiently, be Skyshroud Cutter 5-8.
    I will give this a try. There are some flex slots in a more explosive list:

4 Kavu Predator
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Skyshroud Cutter
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Tarmogoyf

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Summoner's Pact

3 Berserk
    4 Reverent Silence
    4 Invigorate
    4 False Cure

4 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest

SB: 4 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 4 Duress
    SB: 4 Hymn to Tourach
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay

I played a list close to hooligan's at our local Monday night legacy. I cut a few cards and put in some lotus petals. I wanted to be more explosive and less vulnerable to wastelands in our meta. I went 3-1 over 4 rounds. The deck was good fun and I'll probably play it again.

R1: Andrew on DnT splash black for bob/deathrite
    2-1
    G1: Duress a StP, land a kavu, make it a 7/7 trampler, GG
    G2: I kept a urborg, cure, 4x cutter, duress. I never drew a land and died =(
    G3: Duressed, saw 2 StP and took one. I played a bob to draw the second swords and then played a Kavu and made it huge to win.

R2: Erik on Young Frankenstein
    2-0
    G1: Oh em gee I hate treasure cruise. I shredded his hand with discard and it didn't matter. He played dig through time, then cruised, and then cruised again. In the end I won without playing kavu or false cure. However, that was due to shear shitty luck on his draws. It's frustrating that I had double deathrites and it didn't slow down the delves by any noticeable amount.
    G2: I had 2 swords and 1 decay for his early pyros. Eventually I got there with Kavu, double skyshroud.

R3: New guy on Oops all spells
    2-1
    G1: I know he's on Oops and he's won the die-roll, i prepare for a reaming and mull down to 5 to find a turn 1 discard spell. It turns out he kept a slow hand and duress into giant kavu wins.
    G2: I turn my deck into a pile of hate with lots of discard, teeg, scooze, and so forth. It doens't matter, he wins turn 1.
    G3: I duress him turn 1 and then land a scooze and ride it to victory.

R4: Josiah on winstigator goblins
    1-2
    G1: I lose the die roll and he gets there on like turn 3.
    G2: Two quick 7/7 Kavus get there.
    G3: This game was rough. I had a great hand but he landed a turn 2 instigator and then had 3 bounce goblins and a tarfire to force me to block the winstigator unproductively with my Bobs and then Kavus.

Of all the matches the one I would expect to win is the one that I lost.

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    I will give this a try. There are some flex slots in a more explosive list:

4 Kavu Predator
    4 Quirion Ranger
    4 Skyshroud Cutter
    4 Dark Confidant
    3 Tarmogoyf

4 Lotus Petal
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Summoner's Pact

3 Berserk
    4 Reverent Silence
    4 Invigorate
    4 False Cure

4 Bayou
    4 Verdant Catacombs
    4 Polluted Delta
    1 Swamp
    1 Forest

SB: 4 Surgical Extraction
    SB: 4 Duress
    SB: 4 Hymn to Tourach
    SB: 3 Abrupt Decay
    How did your new playlist test out?

Hmm, why Quirion Ranger?

Mar 2009

To address the questions:

The new explosive list was alright, but chalice works better in that slot right now. Shutting off your opponent's cantrips and 1 mana removal is super solid.

As far as quirion ranger: it allows you to play with less lands as you usually only need 2 bayou activations for a false cure while going off. it can also protect the bayous that you have from wasteland.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

To address the questions:

The new explosive list was alright, but chalice works better in that slot right now. Shutting off your opponent's cantrips and 1 mana removal is super solid.

As far as quirion ranger: it allows you to play with less lands as you usually only need 2 bayou activations for a false cure while going off. it can also protect the bayous that you have from wasteland.
    That's some cool tech, how has it worked out? I've been brewing a chalice list too, but haven't been happy with it yet. What's your list? Agreed that explosive isn't a reason to play this deck, Elves and Infect are just better at that.

I was incredibly bored in Christmas mass and brewed up a BUG list. Still working on it. But why hasn't this deck played blue before?
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Mar 2009

I think a BUG version could definitely work. This deck is just so rogue that there are very few people trying new things with it, let alone playing it at all. There may as well be a "crickets chirping" audio built in to this thread.

I have been toying around with chalice builds, git probe cabal theray builds, and Junk/Jund style builds that are more midrange focused but have the combo element thrown in. So far I have had the best success with DRS Junk builds, but the different versions definitely warrant more testing.

The incentives to play this deck in the current meta are it's positive UR, Storm, Stoneforge Mystic matchups. I have had a hard time in the past with other fast combo decks and BGx midrange, but at least thoughtseize, lili, and decay are underplayed right now.
    Last edited by ironclad8690; 12-25-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Hey all I just started visiting this site again for the first time in a while. Never knew this deck was a thing but now I'm in love with the idea. I've been kicking around a bunch of jund builds around Young Pyromancer / Cabal Therapy and I think that shell could do wonders for this deck. Pyromancer would offer the deck another premium threat to draw removal.

Opening up red does a lot of cool things like the option of punishing fire/grove of the burnwillows for extra predator synergy too. At that point Faithless Looting starts looking really good for consistency and binning value therapies/fires.

Other Ideas that aren't necessarily tied to adding red but would also be cool with red:

Fauna Shaman+Vengevine: Fauna fuels the awesome vine plan or gets whatever creature part of the combo you need and plays well with the quirion rangers that I like in some of the lists I'm seeing. It's also a lightning rod for removal clearing the way for predator. Vengevine seems like a sweet way to add fast value to the deck to overpower midrange strategies. It plays very well with skyshroud cutters and the generally low curve. I like the vengevine plan over the berserks I see in more all in builds as a way make the deck more explosive.

Wild Mongrel+Life from the Loam(and maybe some basking rootwallas): This seems like a natural addition to the vengevine plan as another discard outlet. I'm not sure if rootwallas are necessary but I really like how life from the loam would fuel mongrel and help the deck fight off wastelands.

Junk seems like another solid way to build the deck. Mother of Runes/Stoneforge Mystic+Equipment/Swords to Plowshares seems like a very solid way to fill out the core of the deck. Stoneforge for jitte and batterskull are great at fighting the creature decks. Mother of Runes is the best way to protect predator once white is opened up. I think this is the biggest miss from the junk lists I see posted that are splashing for swords. The deck could build its mana base stressing scrubland alongside Bayou to hit it's colors properly. Maybe something like this:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Quirion Ranger
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Kavu Predator
    4 Skyshroud Cutter

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 False Cure
    4 Invigorate
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull

4 Verdant Catacomb
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Scrubland
    4 Bayou
    1 Drayd Arbor
    1 Karakas
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Forest

All of this is said without a lick of testing but it all seems solid enough in my head. I love what's going on here and the experience that's being shared with this cool deck.

Mar 2009

Hm, never thought about playing Mother of Runes in this deck. I will have to try it.

Sent from my KFARWI using Forum Fiend v1.2.14.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Hm, never thought about playing Mother of Runes in this deck. I will have to try it
    It is an intriguing thought. This is why I don't think it'll be good: false cure is an important part of why this deck may not be terrible. Mother of Runes does not protect spells.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Dec 2013
    Torrington, CT

Came across this deck while trying to kill time at work and figured id give it a try since i had most the stuff and only missing the dollar or less cards i threw it together and bought the rest, unfortunitaly could only find 2 Kavu before the tournement last night but still went 2-1. Losing only to MUD by not being able to hit a land with 2 Bobs on my last turn.

Lost to Mud round 1 : 1-2
    Beat Maverick round 2 : 2-0
    Beat Infect Round 3 : 2-0

Mar 2009

Quote Originally Posted by Undari1993 View Post
    Came across this deck while trying to kill time at work and figured id give it a try since i had most the stuff and only missing the dollar or less cards i threw it together and bought the rest, unfortunitaly could only find 2 Kavu before the tournement last night but still went 2-1. Losing only to MUD by not being able to hit a land with 2 Bobs on my last turn.

Lost to Mud round 1 : 1-2
    Beat Maverick round 2 : 2-0
    Beat Infect Round 3 : 2-0
    Nice! I am curious about the infect matchup, what happened there?

Dec 2013
    Torrington, CT

Nice! I am curious about the infect matchup, what happened there?
    Knowing he was playing infect i was kinda scared, didnt know how the match would go to be honest.

Game 1 - (on the play) I turn 1 deathrite and pass. He drops a hiarch and passes back. I top deck a fetch and fetch out another Bayou. and swing with DRS for 1, and being cocky the kid says yeah sure i'll take one. But in response to damage i cast False Cure and invigorate my DRS dealing a total of 8. Then main phase 2 i cast 2 Revelant silence. For the win.

Forgot exactly what i sided out but i put in Chokes and Chalices.

Game 2 - He goes first and has a land drop but no play, i drop a DRS on my turn and pass, his turn 2 he plays Blighted agent and passes, i Drop a chalice on one and pass, he casts a brainstorm which is countered and then plays another agent, swings for 1, on my turn while he is tapped out i take advantage and play a choke. His turn he swings for 2 and passes back. I Decay one agent and Swords the other. Hes draws one land in the next 4 turns but still cant cast anything. i False cure and cast 2 Skyshroud and a Revilent silence. but have the DRS to burn him for the last 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Shakara View Post
    Hey all I just started visiting this site again for the first time in a while. Never knew this deck was a thing but now I'm in love with the idea. I've been kicking around a bunch of jund builds around Young Pyromancer / Cabal Therapy and I think that shell could do wonders for this deck. Pyromancer would offer the deck another premium threat to draw removal.

Opening up red does a lot of cool things like the option of punishing fire/grove of the burnwillows for extra predator synergy too. At that point Faithless Looting starts looking really good for consistency and binning value therapies/fires.

Other Ideas that aren't necessarily tied to adding red but would also be cool with red:

Fauna Shaman+Vengevine: Fauna fuels the awesome vine plan or gets whatever creature part of the combo you need and plays well with the quirion rangers that I like in some of the lists I'm seeing. It's also a lightning rod for removal clearing the way for predator. Vengevine seems like a sweet way to add fast value to the deck to overpower midrange strategies. It plays very well with skyshroud cutters and the generally low curve. I like the vengevine plan over the berserks I see in more all in builds as a way make the deck more explosive.

Wild Mongrel+Life from the Loam(and maybe some basking rootwallas): This seems like a natural addition to the vengevine plan as another discard outlet. I'm not sure if rootwallas are necessary but I really like how life from the loam would fuel mongrel and help the deck fight off wastelands.

Junk seems like another solid way to build the deck. Mother of Runes/Stoneforge Mystic+Equipment/Swords to Plowshares seems like a very solid way to fill out the core of the deck. Stoneforge for jitte and batterskull are great at fighting the creature decks. Mother of Runes is the best way to protect predator once white is opened up. I think this is the biggest miss from the junk lists I see posted that are splashing for swords. The deck could build its mana base stressing scrubland alongside Bayou to hit it's colors properly. Maybe something like this:

4 Deathrite Shaman
    4 Mother of Runes
    1 Quirion Ranger
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Kavu Predator
    4 Skyshroud Cutter

4 Green Sun's Zenith
    4 False Cure
    4 Invigorate
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Batterskull

4 Verdant Catacomb
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Scrubland
    4 Bayou
    1 Drayd Arbor
    1 Karakas
    1 Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    1 Forest

All of this is said without a lick of testing but it all seems solid enough in my head. I love what's going on here and the experience that's being shared with this cool deck.
    How did this decklist workout for you?

May 2013
    Paris, France

Knowing he was playing infect i was kinda scared, didnt know how the match would go to be honest.

Game 2 - He goes first and has a land drop but no play, i drop a DRS on my turn and pass, his turn 2 he plays Blighted agent and passes, i Drop a chalice on one and pass, he casts a brainstorm which is countered and then plays another agent, swings for 1, on my turn while he is tapped out i take advantage and play a choke. His turn he swings for 2 and passes back. I Decay one agent and Swords the other. Hes draws one land in the next 4 turns but still cant cast anything. i False cure and cast 2 Skyshroud and a Revilent silence. but have the DRS to burn him for the last 2.
    Swords with Chalice @ 1 ?

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

This deck looks awesome and super fun to play. Are there any videos of actual gameplay that I could watch to get a feel for how the deck plays out?

Dec 2013
    Torrington, CT

Quote Originally Posted by Ralf View Post
    Swords with Chalice @ 1 ?
    sorry i was typing the report at work, it was double decay, thinking of the game we played for fun since we were done fast.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

sorry i was typing the report at work, it was double decay, thinking of the game we played for fun since we were done fast.
    What's your current decklist?

Dec 2013
    Torrington, CT

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    What's your current decklist?
    I played kc.hogens list from page 16. Except only could find 2 kavu so I played 2 kavu and 4 Revelent silence. In the spot of duress I played cabal therapy.

Thread Information