Page 18 of 21 FirstFirst ... 81415161718192021 LastLast

Thread: The Cure (Kavu Predator / False Cure)

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Re: The Cure (Kavu Predator / False Cure)

Quote Originally Posted by Undari1993 View Post
    I played kc.hogens list from page 16. Except only could find 2 kavu so I played 2 kavu and 4 Revelent silence. In the spot of duress I played cabal therapy.
    Is there anything you would change (other than 4 Predators once you get the other 2)?

Dec 2013
    Torrington, CT

Quote Originally Posted by TLK View Post
    Is there anything you would change (other than 4 Predators once you get the other 2)?
    I have found 2 more kavu predators but won't have the chance to play it until Monday. Might be able to get to a tournement before then. But I have taken out the white and going to try more discard and see how that works. Alot of the time I have the kill in hand but it's hard to play around counters. And then there is no other real threat once they counter false cure.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

I have found 2 more kavu predators but won't have the chance to play it until Monday. Might be able to get to a tournement before then. But I have taken out the white and going to try more discard and see how that works. Alot of the time I have the kill in hand but it's hard to play around counters. And then there is no other real threat once they counter false cure.
    Maybe instead of the white you splash red for Pyroblast/REB?

Dec 2013
    Torrington, CT

Maybe instead of the white you splash red for Pyroblast/REB?
    That is another possability, i just picked up Badlands so i can give it a test.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Let me know how it goes/what list you end up with.

I just picked up the cards I needed for the deck. Does this deck basically destroy non-disruptive decks? I'm not sure what decks like D&T, Jund, Junk, etc. can do about this deck (Leyline can take care of discard spells post-board).

What are the matchups with top decks like? Obviously counterspells are an issue, but we run enough discard for it to not be an issue. We could also run something like Defense Grid.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Did you get a chance to play yesterday? I'm curious to hear how it went.

Dec 2013
    Torrington, CT

no i did not, Maybe tomorrow night if it doesnt snow to bad.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

I'm planning on playing this at my local Legacy event tomorrow as well. Probably won't do too well given that I've never played it before, but I'm excited to give a new deck a try.

My meta consists of a few combo decks (usually ANT, OnniTell, Painter, sometimes Belcher), Reanimator, Dredge, DnT, Junk, Delver variants, etc.

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Let me know how it goes/what list you end up with.

I just picked up the cards I needed for the deck. Does this deck basically destroy non-disruptive decks? I'm not sure what decks like D&T, Jund, Junk, etc. can do about this deck (Leyline can take care of discard spells post-board).

What are the matchups with top decks like? Obviously counterspells are an issue, but we run enough discard for it to not be an issue. We could also run something like Defense Grid.
    I've played the deck some too (k.c.hogan and I built the list he was running) so I might be able to help out here. The manabase is pretty greedy - only playing 18 lands, few basics, with double-black spells and a splash. So a great way for the non-blue decks to beat you is to Wasteland lands and kill Deathrite. Another issue if you're playing against a smart player is that False Cure is symmetrical - they can Plow a giant Kavu Predator to burn you out. But honestly that doesn't come up much. What comes up more often is that you're really, really dependent on having a Kavu Predator in play, so lots of removal is an issue. You only have 4 in the deck. Against decks with mana denial or discard, it's difficult to build up enough lifegain spells to burn them out with False Cure (although Deathrite burns and Bob beats make it easier).

I'd actually say that counterspells are not an issue because you never have to commit - if they counter False Cure you haven't committed anything, and the life gain is a cost for all the other spells.

Regarding the list - definitely don't play Sensei's Top. It's way too mana hungry for this deck. Sylvan Library is far better.
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Quote Originally Posted by phazonmutant View Post
    I've played the deck some too (k.c.hogan and I built the list he was running) so I might be able to help out here. The manabase is pretty greedy - only playing 18 lands, few basics, with double-black spells and a splash. So a great way for the non-blue decks to beat you is to Wasteland lands and kill Deathrite. Another issue if you're playing against a smart player is that False Cure is symmetrical - they can Plow a giant Kavu Predator to burn you out. But honestly that doesn't come up much. What comes up more often is that you're really, really dependent on having a Kavu Predator in play, so lots of removal is an issue. You only have 4 in the deck. Against decks with mana denial or discard, it's difficult to build up enough lifegain spells to burn them out with False Cure (although Deathrite burns and Bob beats make it easier).

I'd actually say that counterspells are not an issue because you never have to commit - if they counter False Cure you haven't committed anything, and the life gain is a cost for all the other spells.

Regarding the list - definitely don't play Sensei's Top. It's way too mana hungry for this deck. Sylvan Library is far better.
    Awesome! Thanks for the input. I already made the swap for Sylvan Library. That's a good point re: counterspells. It's just a 1-for-1 if they counter your False Cure. As for the removal, those decks likely can't deal with a resolved False cure + lifegain spells, so maybe that's the safer route in those matchups? I run the one-of Safekeeper, and Mother of Runes/Vines of Vastwood/etc might be worth looking into as well. The list k.c.hogan was running didn't run any Reverent Silence or Refreshing Rain. Don't those play into the goal, or are they too dependent on False Cure as they don't do much on their own?

Undefeated hair
    Jan 2012
    Seattle, WA

Awesome! Thanks for the input. I already made the swap for Sylvan Library. That's a good point re: counterspells. It's just a 1-for-1 if they counter your False Cure. As for the removal, those decks likely can't deal with a resolved False cure + lifegain spells, so maybe that's the safer route in those matchups? I run the one-of Safekeeper, and Mother of Runes/Vines of Vastwood/etc might be worth looking into as well. The list k.c.hogan was running didn't run any Reverent Silence or Refreshing Rain. Don't those play into the goal, or are they too dependent on False Cure as they don't do much on their own?
    Mostly we ran out of room in the deck. Could be good, but Sylvan Library is not a combo with Reverant Silence
    Languages and dates for every set. For all you true pimps.

I know I've asked this question before, but I would like to see other opinions on this. I was thinking of applying the Nic Fit Shell to this Deck (Veteran Explorer + Cabal Therapy). I like it because it allows you to clear the way for Kavu on your 2nd turn for any potential hate while also getting the double black mana needed for False Cure for a potential third turn kill. Thoughts and opinions?

Quote Originally Posted by fonzdizon View Post
    I know I've asked this question before, but I would like to see other opinions on this. I was thinking of applying the Nic Fit Shell to this Deck (Veteran Explorer + Cabal Therapy). I like it because it allows you to clear the way for Kavu on your 2nd turn for any potential hate while also getting the double black mana needed for False Cure for a potential third turn kill. Thoughts and opinions?
    Nic Fit makes good use of the mana by ramping into huge threats -- our primary threat costs 2cmc so we don't use the mana as well -- not to mention we definitely don't want to ramp decks like Miracles. I play a couple Thoughtseize in the main which accomplishes the same thing. There's also the issue of space, we're a tight shell as is.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Yeah, that doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for this deck. It seems you only need a few mana to function, so the ramp is unnecessary and even detrimental in certain matchups given that the effect is symmetrical.

I'm going to be piloting this deck for the first time tonight. Hopefully I don't make too many mistakes. I'm sure I'll catch some people off guard for sure. I'm looking forward to picking up some free wins that way.

Yeah, that doesn't seem like it would be a good fit for this deck. It seems you only need a few mana to function, so the ramp is unnecessary and even detrimental in certain matchups given that the effect is symmetrical.

I'm going to be piloting this deck for the first time tonight. Hopefully I don't make too many mistakes. I'm sure I'll catch some people off guard for sure. I'm looking forward to picking up some free wins that way.
    Are you going to be using KC Hogans decklist or another that was posted on here?

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

kc.hogan's list with maybe a couple card changes.

Jan 2014
    San Diego, CA

Well that was rough. Went 1-2. Round 1 I beat MUD with Kavu Predator game 1 and a giant False Cure game 2. Round 2 I lost 1-2 to Reanimator. Won game 1 by hilariously responding to a Griselbrand attack with a False Cure for lethal. Games 2 and 3 were close but apparently a turn 1 Deathrite isn't quick enough. Round 3 I lost 0-2 to Burn. Guess I should've brought my COP:Red.

Dec 2013
    Torrington, CT

Quote Originally Posted by ironclad8690 View Post
    Sup fellow Cure-ers?...

I wanted to play berserk, but I am cheap and had jund colors so i am trying our Temur Battle Rage.
    Great idea, the red gives you side deck counters. which is always a plus!! Kavu already has trample so it only needs the double strike. its lik a 2 costing berserk for 75 bucks less haha.

let us know how it works...

MTGO Name: Adelorenzi
    Mar 2009

Great idea, the red gives you side deck counters. which is always a plus!! Kavu already has trample so it only needs the double strike. its lik a 2 costing berserk for 75 bucks less haha.

let us know how it works...
    Yeah, I should just play assault strobe instead. Good call

Thread Information