Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cure (Kavu Predator / False Cure)

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Re: [Deck] The Cure (Kavu Predator / False Cure)

I have updated the first post with the addition of Dark Confidants. I think the resulting decklist unites the best from all builds of which I'm aware. Just for you to know, I'll be playing this deck on the Source Tournament VIII, so wish me luck.
    For "finished" decks: Decks which are optimized and thoroughly tested. A deck is not required to have proven itself in a competitive tournament environment to be included in the Open Forum, but it is recommended. A thorough writeup including card choices, strategy, and matchup descriptions is required.
    I'm not sure about how decks get moved to the Open Forum, but I think this fits the criteria. Maybe someone could bring more light on this matter.

Jul 2007
    El Salvador

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones View Post
    I have updated the first post with the addition of Dark Confidants. I think the resulting decklist unites the best from all builds of which I'm aware. Just for you to know, I'll be playing this deck on the Source Tournament VIII, so wish me luck.
    Good luck man Are you thinking in splashing a third color or that will be your super secret tech for the tournament?

After not really believing that this deck could work, I took the build on page one for myself and have been toying around with it ever since.

After a couple of test games, I came back to a more "protective" one with 2 colours and with the inclusion of duress and cabal therapy and engineered plague in the side.

Mongrel has, however, always been rather subpar. He doesnt trample like the kavu, which is why I've tested brawn (no comment) and he simply doesn't get big enough quickly enough.

'Goyf is very solid aggainst aggro I found, but whenever I had him out I was always wishing he could get 12/12. He in turn doesn't trample either but he usually stays boltproof even if I don't have cards in my hand.

Good luck in the tourney!

As for the budgetversion, I for one would very much like to see what you would make of it. I really want to build this deck IRL, but I can't afford it. Anyway, I'm currently testing with 4 revised Duals, Mirage Fetchlands and Terramorphic Expanse for the mana base, and I include a bit red to be able to play Fling instead of Berserk. It work so-so, the lands really hurt the decks speed. (DUH!)

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

I've not updated more often this thread because I'm a bit busy on the Source Tournament right now.

I've been noticing that Crumble isn't very good to answer the few artifacts that give problems to this deck. I also think that very fast "pure" combo decks are starting to appear on MWS, and it would be good to have more answers to them.

I'm still not sure between Pithing Needle and Tormod's Crypt. Pithing Needle still works against some artifacts, so the replacement of Crumble would be less traumatic. Tormod's Crypt is an auto-win against certain combo decks, so it's also something to consider. What do you think?

I like needles over crypt, but thats a meta problem. If your meta has a lot of graveyard decks than go crypt. Ohh and have you tried seedtime against control.

Quote Originally Posted by JCteam_ripio View Post
    Hello everybody, I've played one local tournament with a GBr False Kavu deck, having great success with my decklist (1st out of 24). This is what I played

Creatures:
    4x Kavu predator
    4x Kird ape
    4x Dark confidant
    3x Tarmogoyf
    3x Mire boa
    4x Skyshroud Cutter

Spells:
    4x Invigorate
    2x False cure
    3x cabal therapy
    4x lightning bolt
    2x Umezawa's jitte
    2x putrefy
    1x reverent silence

Lands:
    1x Urborg, Tomb of Yawgmoth
    4x Wooded foothills
    3x Bloodstained mire
    3x Bayou
    2x Taiga
    1x Badland
    3x Forest
    1x Mountain
    1x Swamp
    1x Grove of the Burnwillows

SB:
    4x Pyroclasm
    3x Duress
    3x Pithing needle
    2x Krosan grip
    1x False Cure
    2x Extirpate

My meta consists in 3 Vial Goblins, 2 MBC, 2 UGb grow, 1 Fish, 2 2-land Belcher, 2 Red Death, 2 Affinity, 1 Psychatog and some other rogues. Comments are welcome
    Evening!
    i built a stompy deck whit kavu and +life gaining cards, now i'm following this tread because i like the general idea of the deck.

i used to put in my deck "Silhana Ledgewalker" cause of their evasion ability and to be non-targettable by the opponent. if they get right pump up and berserk can win game alone.

by the way i liked also the ideal of 3 colors splash
    but i like more white splash:
    sword to plowshares can interact whit kavu,
    pick up vindicate instead of putrefy.

i'd would ask what cards would you replace to put in berserks?

Jul 2007
    El Salvador

Either Umezawa's jitte (berserks gives you a faster clock) or Mire boa

Banned
    Mar 2006
    Lake Of Fire and Brimstone

I have a foil False Cure I traded for a couple weeks ago. If anyone in the Northeast wants to trade for it, send me a PM.

Hi everybody,

Took this deck to a tournament this weekend and placed 18th out of 44 players.

4x Kavu Predator
    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Birds of Paradise
    4x Skyshroud Cutter
    3x Jotun Grunt
    4x Duress
    4x Cabal therapy
    4x Invignorate
    2x Reverent Silence
    3x False Cure
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Rancor
    4x Bayou
    1x Scrubland
    1x Savannah
    4x Windswept Heath
    2x Bloodstained Mire
    2x Forest
    2x Swamp
    1x Plains

Sideboard
    4x Krosan Grip
    4x Engineered Plague
    4x Engineered Explosives
    3x Tormod's Crypt

The result isn't so bad, but could have been better.

Round 1 : Stompy Green
    Game 1 : Only saw 2 Blastoderms that were kept off with a Bird and Grunt until Kavu came wandering in ... 13/13 nough said

Game 2 : Didn't even see 1 Blasto on the table so .... peace of cake

1-0-0

Round 2 : One of my testpartners playing Aggro-loam

Game 1 : Turn 2 --> 13/13 trampling warmachine

Game 2 : His jedi-mindtricks made me mull down to 4 and I saw another land on turn 7, which was the last of this game

Game 3 : I was still suffering from his jedi-mindtricks because once again I had to mull down to 5 and eventually Chalice and Engineered Explosives on 2 made me say GG

1-0-1

Round 3 : Vial Gobos
    Game 1 : I only saw 2 Vials on the table , once again Kavu with the right pump made this a walk in the park

Game 2 : Sided in 4 plagues against 4x Duress but never saw or needed them

2-0-1

Round 4 : Angel Staxx

Game 1 : No Kavu on the table and my opponent played a chalice for 2.
    Without Grip not much you can do
    Game 2 : In come Grips, out go 3x Grunt and 1 Rancor.
    Kavu hits the table as a 10/10 and does the job
    Game 3: Here is where last night beers show up
    Kavu (15/15 and growing) in play and a BOP. Opponent has Exalted Angel . I play Cabal and see Moat and Armageddon. And instead of saccing BOP for flashback Cabal I do nothing . Next turn he plays Moat and I say to myselve that's ok I still have Krosan in the deck. And again instead of saccing BOP I say GO. Next turn Armageddon and I say GG thanks to my misplays

2-0-2

Round 5 : Again Aggro-Loam

Game 1 : With only Bolt as an answer there isn't much they can to against Kavu before sideboarding, so 2 minutes later the job was done. Here was my first win with a false cure of 11.

Game 2: Never saw Engineered Explosives on the other side, so Kavu came once again bashing in as a 13/13 trampling warmachine

Quickest round of the day for me : 6 minutes

Round 6 : *****
    Game 1 : Doesn't know what False Cure will do and lets it pass, but the Kavu gets countered and I don't draw another

Game 2 : Kavu hits the table and he finds no answer

Game 3 : Kavu gets countered and 3 mongooses do the job

3-0-3 and no top 16 (so no boosters)

Overall I really really like this deck and every time Kavu hit the table the game was mine, but the hardest mach-ups remain all decks with counters and/or removal/bounce. Fortunately I didn't see to many of those.

Pros

- Kavu is a BEAST !!!!!
    - People who think what the .... !!!! when they see False Cure for the first time
    - My partner who got beaten most of the time when we did some testing, but did beat me in the second round, won the tournament and took home 4 Beta SINKHOLES

Cons

- Without Kavu every matchup is a hard one
    - There are only 4 Kavus in the deck
    - Counter is a pain in the .... and sometimes duress and Cabal aren't enough

So that it for me. Next week there's another Legacy tournament and I hope that together we can make this deck a little more consistent so I can give it another try.

Thanks

PS. Sorry for the grammar and spelling, I 'm but a simple Belgian

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Hi! Nice to see you!

Your decklist is nice, but needs improvement. For example, you only have 8 beaters (Jotun Grunt and Kavu), and you should be packing at least 11. I suggest either Tarmogoyf, Wild Mongrel, or Phyrexian Negator.

The other problem is that you use a white splash. Usually, The Cure already crushes creature decks so Swords to Plowshares is overkill, but it also is an huge boost against the mirror, which isn't very frequent as of now. Red would have worked better.

I should post my report on the Source Tournament here, but I'm very busy these days. I'll try to have it done tomorrow night.

Welcome to the source!

I was going to write an article about this deck that I've been tuning since Planar Chaos, but since today's my birthday, exams are next week, and the deck has started leaking on MWS, I thought it was the moment to write it here.

The Cure (Legacy G/b)
    Author: Carlos Hoyos (DrJones)

Lands/Mana:
    4x Bayou
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    3x Wooded Foothills
    1x Forest

2x Land Grant
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide

Creatures:
    4x Kavu Predator
    4x Wild Mongrel
    4x Skyshroud Cutter
    4x Quirion Ranger
    3x Tarmogoyf
    3x Dark Confidant

Spells:
    4x False Cure
    4x Berserk
    4x Invigorate
    3x Might of Old Krosa
    3x Reverent Silence

Goldfished about a hundred games with a this list and variations of it. I was quite pleased by the results of a + 1 Dark Confidant - 2 Land Grant (60 cards) version. The deck works with surprisingly little mana, and the Confidant ist just great. Even with Petal+ESG to play him first turn without any lands, you can quickly draw some lands off of it (yes, I'm aware of the high risk of him being destroyed. I just want to give an example for an otherwise subpar hand that can be really good with Confidant). Wild Mongrel didn't impress me, too; I like that you can often discard fetchies to make him 4/4 or even larger and then go for the pump-Berserk-plan, but that isn't as great as it may sound. I thought about Silhana Edgewalker; sadly, he is a really tiny creature, but has two great abilities. Might try it out soon.

By the way, I was really impressed by Kavu Predator. This morning, my brother and I argued whether the Stifle/Dreadnought deck was Tier 2 or worse, me saying it was Tier 2 because it can power out a 12/12 Trampler second turn. Well, though the decks are hardly comparable, I like how this deck will often have a 7/7 or even 12/12 Trampler first turn. It just feels great.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by asi View Post
    Goldfished about a hundred games with a this list and variations of it. I was quite pleased by the results of a + 1 Dark Confidant - 2 Land Grant (60 cards) version. The deck works with surprisingly little mana, and the Confidant ist just great. Even with Petal+ESG to play him first turn without any lands, you can quickly draw some lands off of it (yes, I'm aware of the high risk of him being destroyed. I just want to give an example for an otherwise subpar hand that can be really good with Confidant). Wild Mongrel didn't impress me, too; I like that you can often discard fetchies to make him 4/4 or even larger and then go for the pump-Berserk-plan, but that isn't as great as it may sound. I thought about Silhana Edgewalker; sadly, he is a really tiny creature, but has two great abilities. Might try it out soon.
    The deck works perfectly with -2 mana sources, but that increases your mulligans a bit (I think an increase of 1 for every 4 or 5 games). Maybe it's because I played it too much on MWS, but I feel better having them, and also adds a bit of protection against Blood/Magus of the Moon.

Wild mongrel doesn't look too impresive because it's not the best deck to abuse it. Still, it's the best creature this deck can afford. There's another build that plays Phyrexian Negator instead, I should put a link to it in the first post, if you prefer a Suicide Black shell. Mongrel is a "beater" and also gives an use to your dead cards, which is one of the reasons the deck works so well; it also gives a backup route for Berserk without kavus nor False Cures (adds resiliency). It doesn't trample, but Berserk tend to fix that. Also, it's the only other 2cc creature that can achieve a 2nd turn kill in this build by combat damage.

What Silhana ledgewalker has against it is that is not a beater, which is an huge loss. When you lose speed, some cards start becoming a problem. But don't let my talk stop you, or this deck won't evolve.

By the way, I was really impressed by Kavu Predator. This morning, my brother and I argued whether the Stifle/Dreadnought deck was Tier 2 or worse, me saying it was Tier 2 because it can power out a 12/12 Trampler second turn. Well, though the decks are hardly comparable, I like how this deck will often have a 7/7 or even 12/12 Trampler first turn. It just feels great.
    Just imagine how you feel when the opponent does exactly that. Heh.

Quote Originally Posted by sasa_batora View Post
    What about this: just a compromise between combo and control...

Creatures:
    4x Kavu predator
    4x Dark confidant
    4x Tarmogoyf
    3x Skyshroud Cutter

Acceleration:
    4x Lotus Petal
    3x tinder wall
    2x Land Grant

Draw:
    3x Street Wraith

Spells:
    4x Invigorate
    4x False cure
    3x duress
    3x cabal therapy
    2x Brain Pry
    3x reverent silence

Lands:
    4x Wooded foothills
    2x Bloodstained mire
    3x Bayou
    3x Forest
    1x Swamp

- Tinder Wall makes some crazy second turn games (Goyf+Kavu or double Confidant..) and stops Lackey for long enough to start the combo.
    - Street Wraith brings card and in the meanwhile makes Goyf stronger.
    - Brain Pry either hits StP, or brings new card.

Just suggestions..

In my version of the deck, I have been running Birds of Paradise and Elvish Spirit Guides, and where are your Rancors? They put birds and bob to work!
    Also ESG > tinder wall in my opinion. Why worry about great turn 2 plays when you can have great turn 1 plays?

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Here comes the long awaited (sort of) report about how this deck managed on "The Source Tournament".
    Let's post a bit of shameless self-promotion first, to introduce our deck to newcomers, haha.

THE MOST AWESOME REPORT IN EXISTENCE!!
    FEATURING THE BEST INVENTION SINCE SLICED BREAD!!

"T H E - U N S T O P P A B L E - M O N S T E R"

"Is green the new best color in legacy?"

Here's what people said about the deck:

<Noobslayer> wow
    <Fred[Ger]> what?
    <The Rack> unbelievable
    <Di> i dont want to die next turn if possible
    <finley> ...
    <Silyus> have you 30 of that in the deck?
    <System> Player Lost

The Cure is a revolutionary new concept of aggro/combo decks, which unites chain of combos with pure sinergy to achieve a consistant clock that can kill as soon as turn 2. The nature of the combo makes it immune to usual combo hate cards, while its efficient aggro shell fights past your opponent's disruption.

This is the decklist that took 14th place on the Source Tournament VIII, tied in points with other decks ranging from 10th to 18th.

The Cure (Legacy G/b)

Lands/Mana:
    4x Bayou
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    3x Wooded Foothills
    1x Forest

2x Land Grant
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide

Creatures:
    4x Kavu Predator
    4x Wild Mongrel
    4x Skyshroud Cutter
    4x Quirion Ranger
    3x Tarmogoyf
    3x Dark Confidant

Spells:
    4x False Cure
    4x Berserk
    4x Invigorate
    3x Might of Old Krosa
    3x Reverent Silence

Sideboard:
    4x Compost
    3x Chalice of the Void
    3x Null Rod
    3x Xantid Swarm
    2x Crumble

The Report:
    Jokes aside, the tournament was a blast. I did not face any single european (it seems they were all on the top tables), so I had to play all my games at very wrong times both for me and my opponent. Some of them stood over 3am to play me, which was unbelievable nice (that, or they are truly addicted).

Decklists were supposed to be secret, but a mere search of threads started by my opponents usually told me beforehand which deck were they playing. Mine was publicly known, but still delivered. I should have switched Crumbles for Pithing Needles (and play some MD), but I got stuck with them.

Round 1: Noobslayer with unknown deck
    First game, I open with Bayou and Quirion Ranger. He plays a fetchland and passes the turn. I then get BB from the same Bayou thanks to quirion and proceed to False Cure, Reverent Silence, Invigorate. GG.

For the second game, I board in Compost with no clue about his deck. He starts with a Plated Sliver, taking me by surprise. fortunately, he seems to be playing discard instead of counters.
    I play Bayou, Quirion ranger and Compost out of two Lotus Petal. He plays Sinew Sliver and attacks. Next turn, I play Wild Mongrel. He plays Jitte and duress and takes away a Might of Old Krosa, but it's useless. Next turn I attack with both, invigorate twice the mongrel, return bayou to my hand with G floating and discard my hand to play a lethal berserk. GG.

1-0-0

Round 2: Di with Survival
    First game I start defensively because I think he's playing Thres, so when he plays survival I only have a quirion on board. I play Kavu Predator soon after to fix that, but on his turn he discards anger and plays rofellos, birds of paradise, and nimble mongoose. Next turn I attack and leave him at 6, but it's too late, next turn he plays bone shredder and ravenous baloth with Genesis on graveyard.

Second game I start with Kavu Predator + invigorate. He uses cabal therapy twice to discard two berserks, but he leaves the board open and dies next turn with a lucky draw.

Third game, I have to mull to five, and end without creatures. He plays Nimble mongoose and sacrifices it to discard me two false cures before I can combo him. I play quirion, he plays Survival and Flametongue to kill quirion. I topdeck a Wild Mongrel and play it. He plays mongoose and timber wall.
    Because he knows that I have at least one Berserk, I trick him and attack with a Mighted Mongrel. He blocks and loses everything, but I still hold Berserk. I then cast Reverent Silence and leave him with and empty hand and without genesis. Sadly, he topdecks another Survival next turn and recovers thanks to Squee.

1-0-1

Round 3: The Rack with Rockin' Funkbrew
    The Rack runs regenerating creatures, which are useless against this deck, this leaves discard and swords as the only worries of this match. I hope to get the start first game, and then side Compost for the next ones.

First game I start (Yai!), my starting hand is immune to duress, so I play Dark Confidant to start fast. He cast a duress and misses. I attack and play Wild Mongrel. He plays a timid Spectral Lynx. Third turn, I attack with both and proceed with False Cure, Invigorate, discard hand, berserk. GG.

Second game I side in the compost, He duress a False Cure, leaving compost in my hand. Horrible mistake! I play Compost, but we both seem to be mana screwed. I play Kavu, he cast swords, and then a Dark Confidant (another horrible mistake!). He has to kill twice my Quirion Rangers with the same Darkblast, giving me a whole lot of cards. He casts a 6/7 Tarmo, I play a Kavu and a Mongrel. He plays a Lynx and attacks leaving a Scrubland untapped, but I don't block because I see a swords-proof win next turn. I attack and he blocks Kavu, then I cast Invigorate on Mongrel, which eats a swords. I proceed then to double Berserk Kavu Predator for the win.

2-0-1

Round 4: Tivadar with Angel Stompy
    Angel Stompy is an easy match, because it allows me to win by casting Cure on Angel + Invigorate. Sadly, MWS shuffler decided to screw me big time this match.

First game: I mull down to 4 cards and still see no lands, but I cannot mull further. Turn 2 I get to play a 1/2 Tarmogoyf with two Lotus Petal, which gets sworded that same turn. After a few turns, I get to play a Dark Confidant and a Mongrel, but he already has Exalted in play. He attacks and gets out of reach (21 life) at the last moment. I deal him 20 damage next turn and scoop.

Second game: I keep a risky hand with two predators and Tarmogoyf. The first Kavu gets sworded, and the second one gets a Force of Will. He then plays the Meddling Mage naming Tarmogoyf (first time I see a Meddling Mage get the card right) and I get stuck. Seeing that I don't draw any other creature in several turns, I'm forced to cast Berserk on him, but it's too late. My tarmogoyf gets sworded as soon as it enters play, and I end stuck with one land and no creatures. I'm now officially out of T8!

2-0-2

Round 5: Fred Bear with Armageddon Stax
    Stax is no opponent for this deck as long as I go first, so I hope I win the dice roll.

First Game: I win the roll (Yai!) and start with Tarmogoyf followed by Quirion and Wild Mongrel. He starts losing life like mad with Ancient Tomb to get a Propaganda in play. I have Reverent Silence on hand, but I don't want to use it yet. He then lays Trinisphere and Armageddon, which wouldn't be pretty if I had not Quirion Ranger in play. I use Ranger tricks to reach mana for Reverent Silence and start beating him with huge monsters. Jotun Grunt is too small to stop them and he dies a painful death.

Second Game: He starts with Trinisphere first turn, followed by Crucible second turn, Armaggedon third turn, and Smokestack for fun. I'll get Revenge!

Third Game: I start with a Confidant. He does nothing, but laying a plains. I play Quirion Ranger and attack. He plays another plains and passes the turn. Is he a goldfish or what? I 3rd-turn kill him with Might of Old Krosa + Berserk + Berserk. Easiest game ever! (MWS sucks for everyone).

3-0-2

Round 6: Agent Funk with Landstill
    With our score it's impossible to T8, so we played mostly for fun. Unfortunately, we got a weird accident second game that had to be solved by external sources.

First Game: I bring him down to enough life with Dark Confidant to be able to kill-combo him on turn 4, after he stealed me the goldfish with counterspell last turn, which prevented him to activate his Engineered explosives.

Second Game: Very long game where he keeps recurring Engineered explosives, but he is still unable to kill my Skyshroud Cutters. He keeps countering, duressing me, and throwing swords to my beaters until turn 30, where I got to cast False Cure. He proceeds to break Landstill, then cast Brainstorm for a counter, but it seems he doesn't find one, as he cast Swords on my Cutter. I wait for a whole minute anyways without response about the Ok? on the False Cure, so I assume he has let it resolve and cast a lethal uncounterable/unpreventable/untargetable 6 life loss in form of Reverent Silence. He scoops five seconds later and I think I've won.

However, he contacts me and tells me he got disconnected just after the swords, and that he was asking a friend if he could counter the life loss on Reverent Silence, and that he had the fourth Force of Will ready in hand. He didn't kept the game state, and the crash happened just after an unsolvable win, so having a rematch didn't look so clear for me. Because we were playing for fun, I told him we would let Parcher rule if it was a game loss or a rematch, and proceed to play the following games for fun.

Third and Fourth games were played for fun, if playing against Landstill counts as having fun. I didn't sideboarded and he won both games, but Parcher ruled on my favor, so they didn't count.

4-0-2

And that was all!

Props:
    Parcher, for running this tournament and having to rule our match.
    My opponents, for being nice, waiting for me while I wasn't in home, playing at such late hours, and cheer me up.
    My Deck, for being so fun!
    The People on this thread, for helping developing it.

Cons:
    Crumble, because it should have been Pithing Needle.
    MWS, for screwing me on round 4.
    MWS, for crashing on the last match on an otherwise enjoyable game.
    MWS, because it sucks so much.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Hi, Sasa!

As top deck has said, Timber Wall doesn't look right. If done right, the goblin player should be put on the defensive, and 1st turn Kavu + Cutter is more than enough for this. In a deck splashing red it might work, but in a GB build is better to have Quirion Ranger to untap your beaters, or Elvish Spirit Guide to accelerate your monsters, both being good and affordable.

Edit: I moved old decklists to this post, to keep them there for historical purposes, as I had to make room on the first post for the write up.

The Cure (Legacy G/b) (old)

Lands/Mana:
    4x Bayou
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    3x Wooded Foothills
    1x Forest

2x Land Grant
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide

Creatures:
    4x Kavu Predator
    4x Wild Mongrel
    4x Skyshroud Cutter
    4x Quirion Ranger
    3x Tarmogoyf
    3x Dark Confidant

Spells:
    4x False Cure
    4x Berserk
    4x Invigorate
    3x Might of Old Krosa
    3x Reverent Silence

Sideboard:
    4x Compost
    3x Chalice of the Void
    3x Null Rod
    3x Xantid Swarm
    2x Pithing Needle

The Cure (Legacy G/b) (oldest)

Lands/Mana:
    4x Bayou
    3x Bloodstained Mire
    3x Wooded Foothills
    1x Forest

3x Land Grant
    4x Lotus Petal
    4x Elvish Spirit Guide

Creatures:
    4x Kavu Predator
    4x Wild Mongrel
    4x Skyshroud Cutter
    4x Quirion Ranger
    3x Xantid Swarm

Spells:
    4x False Cure
    4x Berserk
    4x Invigorate
    3x Might of Old Krosa
    3x Reverent Silence
    2x Summoner's Pact

Sideboard: (still in progress)
    4x Compost
    3x Chalice of the Void
    3x Tarmogoyf
    3x Crumble
    2x Null Rod

Remarkable changes:
    1. Added a forest to increase protection against wasteland, and more importantly, Blood Moon (and Magus of the Moon).
    2. Land Grant is still there because searchs the forest under a Blood Moon (unlike fetchlands), and also pumps Tarmogoyf.
    3. Changed Outbreaks for Tarmogoyfs, as no TES spotted during playtesting, and I needed something to sb against aggro.
    4. Xantid Swarm still maindecked as MWS is flooded of Threshold decks and it crushes the deck. In another meta, they might be replaced by Tarmogoyfs.

It happens that some decks start packing Tangle Wire, which is another reason to run Quirion Ranger.
    Last edited by DrJones; 08-21-2009 at 05:42 PM.

Hey dr. jones,

Not to steal any thunder from you promoting this deck, but I have been playing false cure + kavu since kavu was available. Anyhow our builds are similar yet different and at the time I didn't have access to Tarmogoyf.

I am still suggesting that you should run Rancor main. I was playing around randomly once and I had this deck with the old 9 land stompy shell for mana base. So I had 4 Land Grants in the deck, but I had a lot of mana accel in birds and elves. Anyhow I lent out my land grants and I quickly subbed in Rancors and I am never going back to pre-rancor.

Rancor is the bomb because it makes a lot of dead turns (and believe me you have this a lot) into doing something turns. What I mean by dead turns is having an elf or bird or even dark confidant without any boost to win. With rancor you give all of your non-tramplers (dark confidant, birds, elves, and tarmogoyf) and out to win and also win big with berserk.

I would keep you deck shell together but remove Might of Old Krosa in favor of Rancor. Remember if they destroy your rancor'ed beast you get back the rancors and if you reverent silence you get them back as well.

I would also remove Quirion Rangers in favor of birds because they help a lot getting you the critical double black for the cure. Also rancor works great with those silly skycutters who are idle most of the time. ;-)

First turn kavu + 2 skycutter is great with second turn rancor on one cutter and rancor on the other cutter and swing for doom.
    (kavu would be 12/12 and 2 4/2 tramplers seems good == 20 damage)

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Quote Originally Posted by Top Deck View Post
    Hey dr. jones,

Not to steal any thunder from you promoting this deck, but I have been playing false cure + kavu since kavu was available. Anyhow our builds are similar yet different and at the time I didn't have access to Tarmogoyf.

I am still suggesting that you should run Rancor main. I was playing around randomly once and I had this deck with the old 9 land stompy shell for mana base. So I had 4 Land Grants in the deck, but I had a lot of mana accel in birds and elves. Anyhow I lent out my land grants and I quickly subbed in Rancors and I am never going back to pre-rancor.
    Hi, Top Deck! Your post is interesting, so I want to comment some of your points, It's mostly explaining my reasoning, rather than arguing about which one is better.

About Rancor vs Might of old krosa:
    I've tested both cards extensively, and I found that both were very good on its own way.

Rancor:
    1. Gives trample to Mongrel and other critters.
    2. Reusable.
    3. Better with Tarmogoyf.
    4. Worse with Reverent Silence. (every mana counts)

Might of Old Krosa:
    1. More explosive. (deals the damage sooner)
    2. Comboes better with Berserk. (read my report vs Stax)
    3. Protects your critters.

After measuring them, I chose the explosive one because I value more pure speed and greater sinergy with Berserk (surviving attacks is pretty good, too). For a slower strategy, Rancor is a better fit (or Jitte, for that matters)

Rancor is the bomb because it makes a lot of dead turns (and believe me you have this a lot) into doing something turns. What I mean by dead turns is having an elf or bird or even dark confidant without any boost to win. With rancor you give all of your non-tramplers (dark confidant, birds, elves, and tarmogoyf) and out to win and also win big with berserk.
    See, I don't have this problem. By playing safe you lose the initiative and let the opponent develop a defense against you. If you ask anybody that have faced me, they will tell you that I attack every turn with my critters unless I absolutely need to keep them. There are many reasons for this:
    1. Trades benefit you, so the opponent usually doesn't want to trade a critter for a 1/1 elf to prevent 1 point of damage (which is relevant in this deck)
    2. Because letting pass Tarmogoyf/Mongrel easily means game over (hell, even blocking them isn't enough), the opponent will block them over Confidants, elves, and cutters.
    3. The opponent doesn't know if you have Might/Invigorate (you should play around what the opponent knows), so blocking that 2/2 with Exalted Angel might turn it into a Dead Angel.

So, it's not uncommon to see me attack with Dark Confidant. Call it reckless, but that's how I designed this deck to behave.

I would also remove Quirion Rangers in favor of birds because they help a lot getting you the critical double black for the cure. Also rancor works great with those silly skycutters who are idle most of the time. ;-)
    Quirion rangers also get double black for cure. Read the 2nd turn kill in my first match. I have rangers instead of Birds because the deck doesn't need mana, but it NEEDS a forest. So, I prefer having a 1/1 that protects my lands over a 0/1 flier that accelerates next turn.

First turn kavu + 2 skycutter is great with second turn rancor on one cutter and rancor on the other cutter and swing for doom.
    (kavu would be 12/12 and 2 4/2 tramplers seems good == 20 damage)
    Also, first turn kavu + 2 cutter, and then 2nd turn 2 Might of Old Krosa on Kavu (it tramples, you know) = 24, which I enjoy more. (I would think twice before playing that 2nd cutter on 1st turn, though)

Jul 2007
    Enfield, CT

this deck seems like so much fun! and cheap too...( except 'cough' berserk 'cough' )

bunch of commons and berserks and turn 2 kills. I like
    Still looking for FBB Lightning Bolts. German or Korean is preferred. PM me if you have them

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    Drunk texting is ballin'. Anyone can slur into a phone, but it takes a real man to fumble over tiny buttons to make a semi-coherent message and send it to someone.
    -Slay

Hi, Top Deck! Your post is interesting, so I want to comment some of your points, It's mostly explaining my reasoning, rather than arguing about which one is better.

About Rancor vs Might of old krosa:
    I've tested both cards extensively, and I found that both were very good on its own way.

Rancor:
    1. Gives trample to Mongrel and other critters.
    2. Reusable.
    3. Better with Tarmogoyf.
    4. Worse with Reverent Silence. (every mana counts)

Might of Old Krosa:
    1. More explosive. (deals the damage sooner)
    2. Comboes better with Berserk. (read my report vs Stax)
    3. Protects your critters.

After measuring them, I chose the explosive one because I value more pure speed and greater sinergy with Berserk (surviving attacks is pretty good, too). For a slower strategy, Rancor is a better fit (or Jitte, for that matters)

See, I don't have this problem. By playing safe you lose the initiative and let the opponent develop a defense against you. If you ask anybody that have faced me, they will tell you that I attack every turn with my critters unless I absolutely need to keep them. There are many reasons for this:
    1. Trades benefit you, so the opponent usually doesn't want to trade a critter for a 1/1 elf to prevent 1 point of damage (which is relevant in this deck)
    2. Because letting pass Tarmogoyf/Mongrel easily means game over (hell, even blocking them isn't enough), the opponent will block them over Confidants, elves, and cutters.
    3. The opponent doesn't know if you have Might/Invigorate (you should play around what the opponent knows), so blocking that 2/2 with Exalted Angel might turn it into a Dead Angel.

So, it's not uncommon to see me attack with Dark Confidant. Call it reckless, but that's how I designed this deck to behave.

Quirion rangers also get double black for cure. Read the 2nd turn kill in my first match. I have rangers instead of Birds because the deck doesn't need mana, but it NEEDS a forest. So, I prefer having a 1/1 that protects my lands over a 0/1 flier that accelerates next turn.

Also, first turn kavu + 2 cutter, and then 2nd turn 2 Might of Old Krosa on Kavu (it tramples, you know) = 24, which I enjoy more. (I would think twice before playing that 2nd cutter on 1st turn, though)
    hey doc jones,

okay i see your angle. i like what you said about the quirion rangers makes sense to me. but as far as rancor being slower, i disagree. might is more situational since you usually can only might for 2 (in terms of when you can use it). but when you do might for 4 then that critter is sure as hell swinging.

with rancor you are always swinging regardless. when i built the deck it was after planar chaos, and that's what i meant to that i didn't have access to tarmogoyf. i will goyf since i have about 8 of them anyhow and they aren't doing anything. but ill definitely consider running ranger over elves, but not birds. birds are a must if you are running rancors. double rancor for the win. ;-)

and also my average kill was turn 3 also. the deck really runs very well if you draw false cure + any combination of invigorates and free spells. you really only have to do like 8 or less damage from critters.

1st turn kavu, second turn false cure and 2 skycutters = gg :D.

silence was never an issue, but what was originally was i was playing the deck with survival of the fittest since i wanted to pitch for my win conditions. in those games, silence hurt.

oh yaw i would cut down to 2 berserks instead of 4. part of my reasoning is berserk is always a kill more card. drawing 1 or 2 is fine, but drawing 3 is usually a bad sign (triple berserk just means plowshares). also the second reason is i only play with beta stuff so my berserks are alpha and beta and my bayous are beta.... (i dont like foreign BB lands---> they look awful).

Thread Information