Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst 12345678915 ... LastLast

Thread: The Cure (Kavu Predator / False Cure)

Re: [Deck] The Cure (Kavu Predator / False Cure)

Quote Originally Posted by sasa_batora View Post
    Well, that´s true.
    After carefull consideration I must also admit, that the exchange of Brain Pries and Duresses for Berserks is slowing the deck down, and therefore there is no proper reason to use so much discard.

EDIT:

MiKro for 2 is nearly always just enough:
    - it sufficiently protects Kavu (yes, and Skyshroud Cutter...) from Bolt, Chain L. and Helix
    - Tarmogoyf is beyond this range most of time
    - Mongrel saves itself via discard

The problem is just with Confidant and Quirion, but these can be protected with Invigorate, if You need so...
    oddly enough i wouldn't care if they take out bob or quirion. it just draws firepower from the real threats. So bob protects his dogs. :D

I never bother casting Kavu unless I have a life gain spell in hand if I know they are running removal. Also you have duress so again you can get the 411 on your opponent before they move.

Might seems like a fun to play though but I would use it to compliment Rancor. Again in my build I am running birds (which also draw more bolts and plows than bob), so birds protect the kavus too. If they dont bolt the bird, I drop out rancor on it and draw out the fire power since birds often left uncheck will swing for the win.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

As a remark, all what Might of Old Krosa cares about is it being played on one of your main phases, so if you played Cutter and they cast Pyrokinesis on Kavu on response to it gaining counters, Might of Old Krosa would give it +4/+4.

It´s all about Berserks - having them spells "use MiKro", not having them spells "use either Rancors or discard".

What does the "you can get the 411" phrase mean? Sorry, if I missed something...:)

Oh sorry, "411" in America means you get the information on them. Duress make
    them reveal their hand and thus you can make a better play decision.

I am still in favor of Rancor since it turns a lot of your cards into threats. Before I didn't run rancor and had more discard (4 duress and 4 cabal therapy). I just the therapies in favor of rancor and I haven't looked back.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

I personally won't suggest running less than 4 Berserk.

Berserk is not a "win more" card in this deck, it's a combo piece. In combo decks, you run 4x of your combo pieces, even if drawing multiples sucks.

But that's not Berserk's case. In fact, multiple Berserks is another fast Kill Combo in this deck!! (as is most of times berserk + cure and berserk + predator) By cutting Berserks, you are removing kill conditions, making the deck less redundant and thus less consistent. Redundancy is the key here, that's why this deck doesn't run any tutor.

Double berserk is good enough to risk losing a creature to swords to plowshares, what's the worry? This is not a traditional combo deck that loses once interrupted. And if you draw 3 Berserk, all the better! If you are interrupted, you still have one to try again later (as 2 are surely enough to deal lethal damage to your opponent).

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Well, I have to admit this allegation. In this deck Berserk is not just a flavour card (like in RG Beats or Affinity), but it is a combo piece making the deck turn or two faster.
    But the price... trollandtoad has for 60 bucks... still I want them, if only I make a promotion in my job...
    Well, economics do count here. I hadn't time to design a powerless version yet, but you can replace Berserk with 2-3 Fling (recommended) or Desperate Gambit meanwhile, as long as you put a Taiga and a Badlands in there instead of the Land Grants.

My previous post was considering that you already have access to 4x Berserks.

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Are you all still using Reverent Silence?

Out of color, but I have always wanted an excuse to use Fiery Justice. It seems tht it could be really good in this deck. Pardon if it has been mentioned. I have not been keeping close tabs on this.

Hello,

Next weekend there's another Legacy tournament and I'm thinking of taking this deck.
    I still prefer the white splash instead of the red.

4x Kavu Predator
    4x Dark Confidant
    4x Skyshroud Cutter
    3x Jotun Grunt
    3x Sensei's Divining Top
    3x Vindcate
    3x Duress
    4x Cabal Therapy
    4x Invignorate
    2x Reverent Silence
    3x False Cure
    3x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Rancor
    4x Bayou
    1x Scrubland
    1x Savannah
    4x Windswept Heath
    2x Bloodstained Mire
    2x Forest
    2x Swamp
    1x Plains

Sideboard
    4x Krosan Grip
    4x Engineered Plague
    4x Tormod's Crypt
    4x Engineered Explosives

I'm thinking of putting 3x Tarmogoyfs in, but I don't like the bad synergy with Grunt.
    Vindicates may be taken out cause I think this deck needs 3 more creatures but can't find any better than Tarmo.

Have been thinking about Carnophage, River Boa, Mother of Runes, Wild Mongrel.....

Suggestions ......

Thanks

Ps Don't have the Berserks otherwise they would be in there

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

I suggest cutting some lands and Sensei's Divining Tops to put Quirion Ranger on there. Acceleration + Land Protection + Pseudo-Vigilance is frankly very good in this deck.

Red is a good splash because of Fling and Price of Progress, which make up from the loss of Berserks. It also opens up interesting SB cards. White is good too because of Swords mostly, but Orim's Chant as well.

I suggest adding another beater instead of Mother of the Runes, as you run too few and a lot of discard. in my experience Tarmogoyf feels smaller than Wild Mongrel in this deck, but should work better for a slower build.

Also, I think you should run a few more cards against combo/control either main or in your sideboard, as aggro is already your strong point. I suggest Pithing Needle because it will be the most useful against them.

Good luck in your tournament!

I've tested the top yesterday and liked it alot.
    It can get you the needed Kavu, False Cure and life-cards and if there's nothing you can use than you can break a fetch to see 3 new cards and still draw one if needed.

If I were to splash red I would put 4 Goyfs, 3 Fling and 4 Bolts in there

Yesterday it also felt that the countermatchup was better with 3 Duresses and 4 Cabal (8 if you count the flashback). Still felt that I needed more creatures so Goyf will come in.

Ranger is good as you say but cutting the lands down to 11-13 seems a bit risky since I lost 2 matches last tournament due to manascrew and you don't have any free land cards like Land Grant. Top also helps here.

Will test again with the red splash.

Maybe this will sound as a newbie question but still : when you say Orim's Chant is better to break the combo and protect Kavu from a STp under a False Cure, I thought that once your opponent plays a spell Orim's Chant couldn't stop this because the spell is allready played ??

Thanks for the help

Sylvan Library a nice card, and sometimes ill run it over Dark Confident.
    The only reason I use dark confident is that above all else this is a agro deck, and creatures are better than enchantments.

Also I really don't know how the top and the library would work together. I have never tested it before.

Jul 2006
    Belluno, Italy

No no, I never thought of using Sylvan Library with SDT, but instead of it! And of course - Dark Confident must remain in the deck...
    If you're only into using an alternative enchantment to Sensei's Divining Top and not using the 4life draw that often you could also just play Mirri's Guile which has the advantage of coming down one turn earlier and sets your draws up as soon as t2 without further mana investment.

I will try Mirri's Guile.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Mirri's Guile has anti-sinergy with Reverent Silence.

Yah but by the time you play reverent silence. You should pretty much win.

If anyone is running a version of this deck that has fling in it well you just got another great card for your deck. Phyrexian Dreadnought

This guy should be put in this deck some how.

hey,

i have been testing this archetype for a little while now and i had this deck built on my own when another mws player linked me to this thread. with that in mind, i have a somewhat different take on it (at least from drjones) based on what i imagined the deck to be in the beginning. i have a more combo-oriented version sans tarmogoyf/mongrel with living wish to up the count on kavu predator and skyshroud cutter. this leaves space for duress/therapy/confidant for disruption and draw.
    hell, i'll just post the list:

4x wooded foothills
    4x bayou
    3x windswept heath
    1x swamp
    1x forest

3x kavu predator
    3x dark confidant
    3x skyshroud cutter
    2x elvish spirit guide
    4x quirion ranger

4x cabal therapy
    4x duress
    4x berserk
    4x lotus petal
    4x false cure
    4x invigorate
    4x reverent silence
    4x living wish

sideboard still under construction

while i appreciate the multiple threats and consistent speed of the other version, it is more of my play style at the moment to keep the combo/control elements of my own. has anyone tested living wish or have any thoughts on it?

also, is anyone else getting schooled by trinisphere? it seems to stop me in my tracks (such a low curve and free spells becoming stuck in hand).

thanks in advance, and it's great to see other people loving the kavu/cure synergy like i do.

I don't like living wish because you cast it what turn one, they see the kavu.
    If all things go right you than cast kavu turn two. If things go wrong they plan for your kavu and ice you.

Trin hurts a bit, but because my deck is more agro based. I don't have to get the combo off to win. You can just run your deck like a green stompy deck.
    I have null rods in my sideboard. But you can always sideboard some kind of artifact destruction if you want. It can be helpful aginst chalice of the void as well.

I run duress and Cabal Therapy in my deck. I believe the disruption is very helpful.

Ohh and more i play with quirion ranger the less I like it. I dont run any in my deck anymore. People just either wasteland right when it came out when nothing was tapped or they just killed it.

Goyf is everywehere,
    Why Goyf isnt here?
    With berserk you could trampl trough another one and deal some dmg...
    “Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Lets say we don't have Berserk as it's a 60+ dollar card.

How would this budget deck work out?

Creatures
    4 Kavu Predator
    4 Elvish Spirit Guide
    4 Simian Spirit Guide
    4 Skyshroud Cutter
    4 Tarmogoyf
    4 Wild Mongrel

Spells
    4 False Cure
    3 Fling
    4 Invigorate
    3 Reverent Silence

Enchantments
    3 Rancor

Artifacts
    4 Lotus Petal

Lands
    4 Bayou
    4 Bloodstained Mire
    1 Forest
    1 Mountain
    1 Taiga
    4 Wooded Foothills

You can always make the fiery justice deck.
    I don't know where you can find it but it uses
    green, red, and white. I don't think it runs berserk either.

Thread Information