Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [Article] Innovator Aluren: Quite Possibly the Most Powerful Deck in Legacy

[Article] Innovator Aluren: Quite Possibly the Most Powerful Deck in Legacy

At Grand Prix: Columbus, the world and his wife were gunning for Flash. Now that particular bugbear has been banished from the format, the search is on for the next defining Legacy deck. Today, Patrick "The Innovator" Chapin brings us the deck that he claims is the strongest, most resilient Legacy deck in the format today.

http://www.starcitygames.com/php/new...cle/14363.html

The American side of Team Meandeck gives us another look at Aluren in Legacy. I have to say, I am a little bit disappointed since it seems like they started from scratch with this one instead of building off Toad's earlier work.

By the way, count the fetchlands.

Land
    2 Forest
    1 Island
    4 Polluted Delta
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Wooded Foothills
    2 Flooded Strand
    1 Badlands
    1 Bayou
    1 Taiga
    2 Tropical Island
    1 Underground Sea
    1 Volcanic Island

Control
    3 Cabal Therapy
    4 Force of Will
    1 Chain of Vapor

Critters
    1 Ghitu Slinger
    1 Man-o'-War
    1 Etched Oracle
    2 Eternal Witness
    4 Wall of Roots
    1 Dream Stalker
    4 Imperial Recruiter
    1 Cavern Harpy
    1 Spike Feeder

Spells & Draw
    4 Aluren
    4 Intuition
    4 Brainstorm
    2 Deep Analysis

Sideboard
    3 Duress
    3 Pernicious Deed
    3 Etched Oracle
    1 Tinder Wall
    1 Cabal Therapy
    3 Divert
    1 Goblin Pyromancer
    Last edited by Peter_Rotten; 06-25-2007 at 04:15 PM. Reason: Cleaned up the decklist for easier perusing.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Re: [Article] Innovator Aluren: Quite Possibly the Most Powerful Deck in Legacy

New rule - No one is allowed to turn these article discussions into "Why paying for Premium sucks." Either pay for the articles (which is rediculously cheap for a full year of writing), or don't, but the griping does not belong here.

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    New rule - No one is allowed to turn these article discussions into "Why paying for Premium sucks." Either pay for the articles (which is rediculously cheap for a full year of writing), or don't, but the griping does not belong here.
    Team Meandeck is not the first one to think up Imperial Recruiter in Aluren. Day two at GP: Philly I was searching all over the place for him because someone told me he was blue and not red. When I finally found someone who had some I was a little disappointed. The problem with him is cost...$280 for a play set of uncommons is insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

We've known about Aluren for a while now. It's not that good, and I don't appreciate this kind of hype.

Recruiter is good, but is it necessary? That's the question.

Aluren players, what do you say?

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by Toad View Post
    Regarding Imperial Recruiter, I find this card bad in Aluren, and I've already expressed my opinion on it earlier in this thread. Some players like it, I dont. Its bad draw if you are 3C, and I like 7 basics and 7 Fetchlands more than Taigas against Goblins.
    Confusion in the ranks?

Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    We've known about Aluren for a while now. It's not that good, and I don't appreciate this kind of hype.
    I pretty much flat disagree with you. Aluren isn't just good, it's incredibly good.

We all purchased our Recruiters in April thinking that our whole team was going to play this deck, and then Flash happened.

I'm extremely excited to pilot this deck at the Legacy Championship, possibly more excited about the Legacy champs than the Vintage champs.

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Smmenen View Post
    Aluren isn't just good, it's incredibly good.
    It has a lot of strengths, but it's not the "strongest, most resilient deck" in Legacy. There are no results to support this conclusion, and claiming it is purely hype and speculation. This kind of behaviour isn't appropriate.

The only relevant performance of this deck in the US was a few months ago and it was a completely different list.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

It seems entirely unnecessary. I'm actually going to go with Toad on this one. Rarely when I've been digging for cards have I specifically wanted a creature rather than Aluren or a Therapy or Land or such. I'd rather splash white for Court Hussar.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Just bored.
    Feb 2006
    San Jose

Is there any way we could get a decklist? Seems pretty pointless to discuss something when a lot of people can't even see it/test it. I want to say that Alluren is too slow and can be beat quite easily but I don't know for sure because all I see is a title boasting "Quite Possibly the Most Powerful Deck in Legacy". I just think that they titled that article the way they did to try to get new Legacy n00bs to buy a subscription to SCG's premium site. If it really were the most powerful it would be all over every forum in existence, like say, that one good deck we all remember called HulkFlash...
    I collect German and miscut cards. Please PM if you have.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Would I be wrong to assume that CRET Belcher probably slaps Aluren around?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavius The Great View Post
    Germany seems to find me influential. Have you ever Googled "Nourishing Lich"?
    No, Peter_Rotten, you are the problems.

Look, it's a picture of Daze!
    Jan 2007
    Vienna, Austria

You would be wrong. 4 Force + 3 Therapies + a fast enough kill to be able to ignore ETW most of the time, as well as 3 Deed + 3 Duress after boarding, is usually more than enough.

So...what's up with the 4 Etched Oracle between main- and sideboard ? Am I missing something ?
    georgjorge
    Geistreich sind schon die anderen.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Quote Originally Posted by georgjorge View Post
    You would be wrong. 4 Force + 3 Therapies + a fast enough kill to be able to ignore ETW most of the time, as well as 3 Deed + 3 Duress after boarding, is usually more than enough.
    Oh, my bad. I originally didn't see the FoWs in that cluttered decklist in the original post. Someone should clean that up.

Etched Oracle? Do you mean coiling oracle? 'Cause he's a good way to replace Familiar, on account of he gets you land to use therapies with. But if you're going infinite then force x the number of blue cards in your deck is probably a better choice. I recall running one in my version a while ago.

Edit: Perhaps Etched oracle is a way to get your opponent to deck himself. Move the spike feeder tokens onto him, deck opponent.
    The E.P.I.C. Syndicate: I mean, if they play a lullaby for babies they should at least play the Monster Mash when somebody dies.
    Quote Originally Posted by herbig View Post
    If I see you in NY/I'll send you an invite/You gon' need a pass/That's the code that we live by.

Quote Originally Posted by lonelybaritone View Post
    ...Edit: Perhaps Etched oracle is a way to get your opponent to deck himself. Move the spike feeder tokens onto him, deck opponent.
    That is exactly the kill mentioned in the article. He points it out as a way to win the turn you play Aluren, while avoiding Worship, etc.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

There seems to be a lot of superflous critters in this version of an Aluren deck. For me, one of the hardest tenets to accept with an Aluren deck, was "no unneeded creatures." I don't see how Meandeck's critters base is better than the more traditional one similar to this:

4 Wall of Roots
    3-4 Wall of Blossoms
    4 Cavern Harpies
    4 Raven Familiars
    2-3 Eternal Witness
    2-4 Man o' War
    1 Spike Feeder

Their critters seem weaker without Aluren and they spread the manabase into a fourth color. Once you are going off, how is their critter base significantly better? What problems can it solve that the original base can't? Does it matter if they can win the same turn that they play Alruen? I think that for all intents and purposes, the original critter-base, which will provide infinite life, massive counters, massive discard, and critters that can be bounced if they need to be saved, facilitates a more stable deck. Am I wrong about this?

Quote Originally Posted by greyareabeyond View Post
    That is exactly the kill mentioned in the article. He points it out as a way to win the turn you play Aluren, while avoiding Worship, etc.
    Couldn't the original list handle Worship just as easily, too? Bounce all of their critters. Or find CoV and bounce Worship. Counter anything that they try to replay. I'd hate to put a rather crappy card in my deck, for little to no actual advantage.

Oct 2003
    Rochester, NY

Etched Oracle also is really strong against B/w, which is a really not good matchup for Aluren. 4/4s that Ancestral Recall for BGRU1 are going to be pretty good there.

The King of Lockjobs
    Oct 2003
    Middle of Nowhere, NY

Quote Originally Posted by kirdape3 View Post
    Etched Oracle also is really strong against B/w, which is a really not good matchup for Aluren. 4/4s that Ancestral Recall for BGRU1 are going to be pretty good there.
    But getting BGRU against a deck running Sinkhole, Vindicate, and Wasteland doesn't sound pretty good there. Of course the Deep Anal will help the Bw match a bit, but why not simply run more Deep Anals instead of a sub-par critter that you may never get a chance to cast?

Oct 2003
    Rochester, NY

You can also use Spike Feeders and the like to boost up a not-Ancestral enabled Oracle. Oracle's a lot better than he looks in that matchup. B/w is by far the hardest matchup there is for Aluren though, even with four Ancestrals on 4/4 bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by kirdape3 View Post
    You can also use Spike Feeders and the like to boost up a not-Ancestral enabled Oracle. Oracle's a lot better than he looks in that matchup. B/w is by far the hardest matchup there is for Aluren though, even with four Ancestrals on 4/4 bodies.
    Wouldn't basic lands make this matchup better? I'd think Intuition into Deeps with lots of basic lands would be better than Etched Oracle. You can also run Wall of Blossoms which seems really good there.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Oct 2003
    Rochester, NY

He's got 3, but with all those fetchlands those 3 might as well be 15. The article also says that Badlands is liable to get cut for another basic.

Thread Information