Page 72 of 76 FirstFirst ... 2262686970717273747576 LastLast
Results 1,421 to 1,440 of 1514

Thread: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

Re: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by aedemiel View Post
    Arf... Need to buy Snow-Covered Islands now...
    Me too, I'll run this soon.
    Quote Originally Posted by Laser Brains View Post
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    Quote Originally Posted by CptHaddock View Post
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    Me too, I'll run this soon.
    Will you splash for at first or will you switch completely for or even ?

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

Will you splash for at first or will you switch completely for or even ?
    There could be room for bant with the new basic fetch land. Testing will tell. I might start with a uw list and go from there myself

I will stick to for now. There already are a few cards I want to test here (Bastion, On Thin Ice...).

I'll try uw next I think...
    With the printing of Gigantosaurus, Thrashing Brontodon and Steel Leaf Champion the deck has evolved from good to very competitive. Anyway, give it a few play tests if you are interested and let me know what you think.

Winter Maze
    With veteran explorer I know that I 100% will not enjoy a 30 minute grindfest against someone who can barely afford dual lands and believes that their deck can cast a 10 mana 8/8.

Sadly I won't get all the cards I wanted to test for tomorrow (Legacy Night). I'll just play a version I've been tunning a bit for my local meta.

The majority of this deck is Modern legal. The main thing not Modern legal were the win conditions but Marit Lage's Slumber changes that.

Scrying Sheets is an amazing card draw engine (even better now that it can grab removal (On thin Ice) and win conditions (Marit Lage's Slumber) and modern is slower and more combat oriented than legacy so this deck would actually be more viable there I think.

If you were to port a UW version to modern, how would you go about it?

For modern, I'm thinking that something like this could work...

Modern Quinn

14 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 Scrying Sheets
    2 Prismatic Vista
    1 Flooded Strand
    1 Celestial Colonnade
    1 Snow-Covered Island

4 Path to Exile
    4 On Thin Ice
    3 Wrath of God
    3 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Runed Halo
    2 Detention Sphere
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 Cast Out
    1 Supreme Verdict

4 Arcum's Astrolabe
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Sorcerous Spyglass
    2 Pulse of the Fields
    2 Relic of Progenitus

2 Marit Lage's Slumber
    2 Teferi, Hero of Dominaria

Sideboard:
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Surgical Extraction
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Ethersworm Canonist
    2 Supreme Verdict
    2 Pithing Needle

A very light blue splash like above is probably the correct route to take in Legacy as well.

The above list plays 29 Snow permanents. This allow you to use Scrying Sheets blind at the end of your opponent's turn and with 29 snow permanents, Marit Lage's Slumber pretty consistently wins you the game.

Another possibility is to go with Karn the Great Creator maindeck and a utility 1 of artifact sideboard. This would allow the deck to stay monowhite even and lean on Mycosynth Lattice as a primary win condition.

I haven't been playing Modern in a while, but this sounds about right.

I haven't tried modern in months...so dunno but I'd like more wincons. Gideon?

Winter Maze

I picked up the new snow cards I need but don't have prismatic vista yet so going to try UW one of the next couple weeks in legacy. Then bant eventually. Thoughts? I'm concerned about the U planeswalker deck matchups...

Edit: UWb for dead of winter might be better than uwg?

11 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 Scrying Sheets
    7 Snow-Covered Island

3 swords to plowshares
    4 On Thin Ice
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Runed Halo
    1 Oblivion Ring
    1 leyline of sanctity
    3 orim's chant
    2 dovin's veto
    1 impulse

4 Arcum's Astrolabe
    4 Rest in Peace
    1 energy field
    3 helm of obedience
    2 enlightened tutor
    1 isochron scepter

3 Marit Lage's Slumber
    2 teferi, Time Raveler
    2 karn, the Great Creator

Sideboard:
    1 helm of obedience
    1 ensnaring Bridge
    1 isochron scepter
    1 wurmcoil engine
    1 humility
    1 zur’s weirding
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    2 porphyry nodes
    2 phyrexian revoker
    3 leyline of sanctity
    Last edited by kinda; 06-24-2019 at 06:48 PM.

Winter Maze

I think is worth splashing for dead of winter solely because we can't play Humility.
    I also think Karn is suspect.

I think is worth splashing for dead of winter solely because we can't play Humility.
    I also think Karn is suspect.
    I'm torn on karn but you're likely right. He's innocent btw.

I went 1-2-1 tonight but the deck felt sweet. I cut one swords/veto for the second energy field/4th slumber then put in two flooded strands. My sb was a mess but put two counters there which I'll keep.

Winter Maze

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I'm torn on karn but you're likely right. He's innocent btw.

I went 1-2-1 tonight but the deck felt sweet. I cut one swords/veto for the second energy field/4th slumber then put in two flooded strands. My sb was a mess but put two counters there which I'll keep.
    I will try as well. Quite similar to yours actually.

I will post a list as soon as I can, although I'm still struggling with the Sideboard.

I will try as well. Quite similar to yours actually.

I will post a list as soon as I can, although I'm still struggling with the Sideboard.
    Agreed, I never run counters so this is new for me.

Winter Maze

I only got to play 3 rounds thursday (there is a big heat wave here in France, people stayed at home) with this list:
    4 Rest in Peace
    3 Helm of Obedience
    2 Energy Field

4 On thin Ice
    3 Swords to Plowshares

3 Marit Lage's Slumber
    2 Wrath of God
    2 Teferi, Time Raveler

4 Orim's Chant
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    2 Oblivion Ring
    1 Runed Halo

4 Arcum's Astrolabe
    4 Scrying Sheets
    2 Frostwalk Bastion
    2 Flooded Strand
    2 Prismatic Vista
    8 Snow-Covered plains
    5 Snow-Covered Island

SB
    4 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 Pithing Needle
    2 Damping Sphere
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    2 Cast Out
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant
    1 Heliod, God of the Sun
    1 Aura of Silence

Round 1 VS Eldrazi-Post
    1-I durdle a bit. Opponent T3 or 4 for Oblivion Sower and then another one the turn after. I’m dead on board but have Helm in play. I top deck RiP and completely steal the game.

2-I go T1 E-Tutor, T2 Damping Sphere, T3 O-ring on his Coercive Portal. I Helm not so long after.

To be honest, I consider this Match-up to be terrible and should not have won this. We did another one after that and he destroyed me with Ulamog double cast.
    Also, I forgot a few Scry trigger as I’m still new with Slumber.

Round 2 VS Strawberry Shortcake
    1-I’m OTP but mull a mediocre hand. I have a quick Runed-Halo naming Grindstone as soon as I see Painter. I then get a Rip+Field combo and attack once with Marit Lage but she’s blocked by a copter. My opponent just casually tutor Lattice with Karn.

2-Nice game. He gets a Blood Moon that slows me down a bit (We’re weaker to Moon now, that’s something). He gets a quick Karn and I get RiP. I count that he cannot tutor Lattice and play it in the same turn without loosing Karn. And indeed he sacrifice Karn to get it which meant he probable had another one in hand. I just jam Helm and win.

3-I keep a one-lander but with two Astrolabe thinking “I’m here to test baby!”. Well, I’m color-death for a long time and Astrolabe can’t do much with Karn in play. I lose with the lock again.

It so hot in the room, we both made a lot of missplays.

Round 3 VS Turbo Depths
    1-He goes T1 Duress, T2 Duress+Surgical on my Swords to Plowshares and doesn’t understand why I only have three. We go back and forth. At some point I jam Helm and win the turn after.

2-He gets a T3 Marit Lage.

3-Long and interesting game. He made my discard Bridge and Surgical it. I use E-tutor twice for double Needle. His only out is either Decay or A-Trophy. We draw-go for a few turns and I scry a Helm on top for the win the turn after.

About the list itself, it's quite similar to Kinda's actually.
    A few notes:
    • Slumber+Astrolabe allows us many shenanigans and deck manipulations that it deserves it's own post entirely.
    • Frostwalk Bastion is fine and gives us another edge against Planeswalkers. I don't think it would be wise to play more than 3 though, even with Astrolabe's filter.
    • Scrying Sheets is still incredible (draws several cards a game) and can now get:
    1. Ramp: Lands
    2. Removal: On thin Ice
    3. Cantrip: Astrolabe
    4. Kill: Slumber
    In fact you can even push the idea to the top and remove Fetches completely. I kept them because I thought I might want to shuffle back things I scried to the bottom.
    • Although I didn't get the chance to use it, I think Teferi is a bit questionable.
    1. His static ability is fine.
    2. His +1 is trash-tier (you can EOT Wrath I guess...)
    3. His -3 offers an OK protection and does some shenanigans with Astrolabe/Slumber
    •About Heliod in the Sideboard, I wanted something efficient in the grindy Match-ups, resistant (IE: Decay proof), similar to Elspeth and that I could grab with E-Tutor. Heliod fits all of those perfectly. In fact with the printing of Hall of Heliod's Generosity I might come back to MWC with a full enchantment list.
    Here you just need to be careful with the devotion so StP isn’t a threat.

Overall this list was just a rough sketch. A lot of changes are needed, and I feel like Bant would be better.
    Last edited by aedemiel; 06-29-2019 at 06:09 AM.

Excellent work, I agree on teferi. His biggest bonus to me is he turns scepter chant lock into a hard lock with his static ability and can bounce chalice. Karn is very good vs painter/post btw but I'm not sold on him either.

You should venture up to London eventually, I doubt there's ever been two Quinn decks in the same event in the post top era.

Winter Maze

It occured to me that I did not take the time to write up my Legacy night last week.

I went with an updated GW list: 4 On Thin Ice, 3 Frostwalk Bastion and I played two one-ofs that I had not tested yet: Abundance and Gideon's Intervention.
    While I never got the chance to cast the Intervention, I had Abundance with Sylvan Library once and it was hot fire. I even pushed it further and cast a 2nd Library for a net 5 selective draws a turn.

Overall I went 2-2.
    Lost VS SnT 1-2.
    Won VS UR Arcanist 2-0.
    Lost VS Zombardment 1-2 (Oogak+ Atar is disgusting).
    Won VS BUG Midrange 2-1.

At this point, I don't know what the next step could be...
    New testing? There are still Bant with Coatl, some more UW with Teferi, Esper with Dead of Winter...
    But I might take a step aside. The new mulligan rule is coming and I find it disgusting. Also I do want to try some other things (Scepter-Chant, work on MWC a bit...).

Tried slumber quinn a second time, 1-2 drop. Still lose hard to walkers.

Winter Maze

Yeah, I might pack some number of Generous Gift specifically for those.
    There is a big tournament in November. From now on, i will train and test for that.

Thread Information