Page 2 of 76 FirstFirst 1234561252 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Re: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

I can almost buy this, but I'm failing to see the synergy Grunt has with snow. I'm definitely liking the idea of Grunt more than Exalted Angel, however.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

I didn't mention any synergy of Grun with Snow.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Ha, I misread your post. n/m. I'm retarded.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

I just came across this thread and realized that now, with it's more Enlightened Tutor-based gameplan, it is very similar to the Holy-redux deck I came up with around 2004. IBA you may remember this as well as we discussed it a bit and there's also two threads on it, so I can't help but think some of the ideas from The Mighty Quinn might've been borrowed from it. Now, those threads are unfortunately in Archives so members can't view them (although I'd like to work to make the archives public as they are great reference points), but I'll post the list that I had.

Now, keep in mind this is from November 2004, right after the B/r split took place, so it's very outdated. The list was primarily focused on dealing with the Survival outbreak and to handle all the new artifact acceleration the format was given, just in case anyone was wondering on the bizarre design.

4 Exalted Angel
    1 Eternal Dragon
    1 Mobilization

4 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Humility
    1 Null Rod
    1 Cursed Totem
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Crucible of Worlds
    1 Ivory Mask
    4 Argivian Find

2 Pulse of the Fields
    3 Tithe

3 Wrath of God
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Wing Shards
    2 Illumination

2 Chrome Mox
    2 Wasteland
    3 Ancient Tomb
    1 Savannah
    4 Windswept Heath
    11 Plains

Sideboard:
    3 Chalice of the Void
    2 Sphere of Resistance
    2 Sphere of Law
    1 Humility
    1 Null Rod
    1 Cursed Totem
    1 Aura of Silence
    2 Choke
    2 Defense Grid

Fortunately, there have been numerous advances in card printing that make this deck better (Scrying Sheets, Grunt, etc) so the obvious make the cut today. But to answer some of the things you were wondering IBA:

- Regarding life gain, Pulse of the Fields is a freaking bomb. It was huge then, I run it in my Landstill sideboard now, and it's incredibly good. I'd give it a shot.

- Is the flying ability make Sacred Mesa that much better than Mobilization? I'd assume yes, as by that time you'll have like 10+ land in play, so the upkeep shouldn't be an issue.

- Null Rod is incredibly good against combo. I'd at least test them for the combo matchups, but I'm not sure if it's better than Trinisphere (although the cheaper cost is nice).

- Argivian Find is hawt. Maybe not as good now as it was then, but Regrowth on all that stuff is really good.

Pretty much everything else is rather similar in terms of design (I later had Isochron Scepter in the list as well). It's funny how similar that looks after 2 1/2 years.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

1) Moat + Mobilization = Not a combo. Also, Mesa doesn't produce Soldiers, which is important when you're facing Engineered Plague.

2) Yes, there are similitaries between Holy Redux and The Mighty Quinn. There are also similarities between Holy Redux and Crazy 88's. There's bound to be some similarities between any builds of MWC. However, note that Mighty Quinn is better adapted to the current metagame with more answers to first turn Goblin hordes, a better draw engine (which is to say, any), a smoother mana curve/manabase, and a powerful lock in Scepter-Chant that allows it to compete against strategies like Terrageddon or RGBSA.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

1) Moat + Mobilization = Not a combo. Also, Mesa doesn't produce Soldiers, which is important when you're facing Engineered Plague.
    derf derf. Please excuse my lack of eyes for I did not see a Moat in the decklist upon first glance.

2) Yes, there are similitaries between Holy Redux and The Mighty Quinn. There are also similarities between Holy Redux and Crazy 88's. There's bound to be some similarities between any builds of MWC. However, note that Mighty Quinn is better adapted to the current metagame with more answers to first turn Goblin hordes, a better draw engine (which is to say, any), a smoother mana curve/manabase, and a powerful lock in Scepter-Chant that allows it to compete against strategies like Terrageddon or RGBSA.
    It's more difficult to compare them to Crazy 88's or other MWC builds because there are really the only ET-based ones, at least the only ones that I've seen. Holy redux and The Mighty Quinn have far more close lists (bare in mind the time difference) than any of those other lists. And obviously this list is more adapted to the current metagame, it's the only recent monowhite list since Rabid Wombat (which was awful no offense). I mean, you can't take old decklists and compare them to a current metagame, unless they happened to be the same metagame.

Anyway, you didn't really answer my questions, but rather just stated the obvious. I tend to breeze by your posts because they are normally composed of nothing but endless paragraphs filled with big words and irrelevant rhetoric, so I'm unsure as to that's how you normally respond, but I was wondering what you actually had to say about that. I'm not trying to start an argument with you, that'll cause me to leave the thread out of boredom. I just merely, as you did, state the obvious. :)

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    I tend to breeze by your posts because they are normally composed of nothing but endless paragraphs filled with big words and irrelevant rhetoric...

...I'm not trying to start an argument...
    What a silly and obvious lie.

To answer your question, no, Holy Redux wasn't an inspiration in building the deck, aside from providing a good idea of how not to use Enlightened Tutor.

As to your other points, aside from the Sacred Mesa one, Null Rod costs two mana and most of the time CRET Belcher will empty their hand on turn 1, so that's not the best sb hate. And I don't want either Pulse or Argivian Find because I don't want to cut room for multiples and I can't tutor for either.

Feb 2007
    San Diego

Is there a point in having the scepter 'lock' in this deck?

I can't see it any more affective i n a nonblue deck that cannot protect the 'lock' even if it wanted to.

wouldn't you just simply want more board control instead?

Taobotmox

Sep 2005
    Germany

The scepter lock can create wins out of nowhere against decks like Survival, Loam, Rock or Ichorid, all matchups which are autolosses without it. It also wins G1 against Goblins, Faerie Stompy and other Aggro decks. Furthermore Chant is a gamebreaker against Combo. It is also good together with Wing Shards against Thresh/ Fish or against Control decks to force key spells into play.
    And Scepter is not only good with Chant, but also with Swords and Abeyance. I think the Scepter / Chant is a strong inclusion.

Wonderlust Viscount

Apr 2007
    Hartford, CT

Frank P. Ramsey is the stone cold shit. Their should be pigeons in magic, and holes for them to hide in.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

White Command

SorceryChoose two - Destroy all enchantments; or destroy all artifacts; or destroy all creatures with a converted mana cost of 3 or less; or destroy all creatures with a converted mana cost greater than 3.

Soo... kill opponent's creatures, your Dragons and Angels live; kill opponent's (flying?) creatures and Jitte, your Mesa or Moat lives; kill opponent's Enchantress army, your Isochron Scepter lives. This card looks pretty damn badass in any MWC shell.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    White Command

SorceryChoose two - Destroy all enchantments; or destroy all artifacts; or destroy all creatures with a converted mana cost of 3 or less; or destroy all creatures with a converted mana cost greater than 3.

Soo... kill opponent's creatures, your Dragons and Angels live; kill opponent's (flying?) creatures and Jitte, your Mesa or Moat lives; kill opponent's Enchantress army, your Isochron Scepter lives. This card looks pretty damn badass in any MWC shell.
    It certainly screams versatility. It's either Wrath, or a mini wrath + Tempest of Light or Shatterstorm. This thing pretty much lets you keep whatever you want on the table, and get rid of what you don't. And Mono-White can definitely afford 6 mana.

On a side note, you know we have mana symbols too, right? They look like this:

Code:
    :w:
    =
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Quote Originally Posted by TheCramp View Post
    Their should be pigeons in magic, and holes for them to hide in.
    Actually, there are pigeons, but the holes are another matter.

The white Command seems interesting here, but is it really better than a standard Wrath? It's a full two turns slower, which matters against fast decks. Plus, your creatures already can recur themselves (Eternal Dragon, two Valkyries). How often do you need to selectively destroy artifacts or enchantments? If it doesn't come up that often, it might be more productive to run this in the sideboard, if at all.

I will admit that this card is far and away the better card when compared to Akroma's Vengeance, at least in this deck.

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    On a side note, you know we have mana symbols too, right?
    I do, but I just cut & pasted from the MTGSal spoiler page.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_Zombies
    The white Command seems interesting here, but is it really better than a standard Wrath? It's a full two turns slower, which matters against fast decks. Plus, your creatures already can recur themselves (Eternal Dragon, two Valkyries). How often do you need to selectively destroy artifacts or enchantments? If it doesn't come up that often, it might be more productive to run this in the sideboard, if at all.

I will admit that this card is far and away the better card when compared to Akroma's Vengeance, at least in this deck.
    I was thinking that because Vengeance has pretty much disappeared, and White Command isn't that much better than it (let's face it, it will be a six-mana Wrath over half the time), it would be more interesting to somewhat build around the card.

In other words, you could run more permanents in the deck and leave only 2-3 Wraths as your symmetric removal; the rest would be StP, Wing Shards, White Command, and Moat, none of which would affect your own creatures. A set of: 2-3 Dragons, 3-4 Valkyries, 4 Exalted, 1-2 Decree, 0-1 Crovax might be a good place to start.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Historically speaking, decks such as "Quinn" or as I have come to call it, "Dr. Quinn, Medicine Woman," are really only as good as their silver bullets and sideboards therein (i.e. Flores Black, Maher Oath, etc.) The deck's ability to side in a strong if not perfect answer to almost any deck is its greatest asset, right?

So, what is the ideal md toolbox/sideboard for you guys?

I really like Powder Keg and Moat MD. However, Story Circle seems somewhat weak, as preventing damage against most aggressive decks is just too mana-intensive (especially considering that the deck wants to throw down a scepter-lock post haste, which costs 2-3 mana a turn). Neo-Goyf decks (Aggro Loam, RXX Zoo, etc.) have threats that come in many different colors, hurting it even more.

Story Circle is also quite slow against combo, as you have better options against Belcher in the form of Chant-locking them before the big belch (plus pithing needle in the board). Their goblin plan backup plan is also a bit much for Story Circle to handle alone. I cannot think of another combo deck that uses a damage dealing spell to kill you, as TES uses life loss, salvages game uses nigh-infinite damage, aluren uses uses infinite damage.

Oh wait, there's Cephalid Breakfast and their 40/40 Sutured Ghoul. You play a deck designed to wreck creatures. Nevermind. In conclusion, it seems like a better sb card. Maybe you can wreck a 15-year old playing burn.

Does Pithing Needle warrant its own md spot to hurt belcher and fully lock goblins under scepter chant? MD crypt?

A very rough toolbox/sideboard for me would look like this:

MD Toolbox:
    1 x Moat
    1 x Powder Keg
    1 x Pithing Needle

Sideboard:
    2 x Pithing Needle // Answers lots of stuff; see below
    3 x Tormod's Crypt // Dredge!/Threshold
    1 x Powder Keg // Dredge/Threshold/Belcher/Aggro Loam
    1 x Chalice of the Void // Yeesh
    1 x Ghostly Prison// Dredge/Belcher/Any Aggressive Creature Strategy
    1 x Sacred Ground // Aggro-Loam/Stax
    1 x Rule of Law // Storm-based combos/Salvager's Game
    1 x Serenity (Aura of Silence) // Stax/Random Affinity/Any artifact-based strategies
    2 x Seal of Cleansing // Jitte/Vial/Belcher
    1 x Enlightened Tutor // Goes in versus any strategy where you have a good to great silver bullet
    1 x Abeyance // Useful as another scepter option vs. loam, non-instant speed combos, and control/aggro-control matchups

So, this sideboard is quite rough, but it appears to get the job done. Serenity is a great card, but to be effective it has to be the first permanent you play in a given game, as nuking your scepter and/or forcing your divining-top to the top of your library suxors.

Aura of Silence can be experimented with here, particularly if you run Mox Diamond (which lets Aura out on turn two but is highly anti-synergistic with Serenity) or see a great deal of Stax or Affinity in your neighborhood. Turn two Aura is actually an extremely strong play against said decks.

Chalice of the Void is another tough call to make here, as the 'good' chalice numbers (1,2) screw your deck up pretty badly. Thus, one Chalice is included to stop LED and other good turn 1 plays.

Pithing Needle is an all-around great card versus, well, almost everything that plays permanents (stupid Dredge). Turning off Vial, Jitte, Engineered Explosives, Deed, Cephalid Colliseum, SGC, Belcher, Cavern Harpy.. (insert many other cards here) are all good plays. You know what to do with this card.

I believe the rest of the cards make sense. Comments? Suggestions? Designing these type of tool-box sideboards is one of the toughest tasks in magic, especially in a wide-open format like legacy.

Feb 2006
    Boston

Temporal Isolation is a tutorable answer to Sutured Ghoul if you have a Top in play and 3 lands.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

I spent about a month trying to make a good pox deck without any success. I decided to throw together Quinn, and I went 3-3.

This is the list I ran:

18 Snow Plains
    4 Scrying Sheets

3 E Tutor
    3 Divining Top

3 Valkyrie
    2 Eternal Dragon
    1 Jotun Grunt
    2 Decree of Justice

3 Wrath of God
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Orim's Chant
    3 Abeyance
    3 Wing Shards

2 Isochron Scepter
    1 Moat
    1 Story Circle
    1 Ivory Mask
    1 Powder Keg
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Sacred Mesa

SB

3 Tormod's Crypt
    1 Pithing Needle
    1 Rule of Law
    1 Null Rod
    1 Seal of Cleansing
    1 Privileged Position
    1 Sacred Ground
    1 Serenity
    1 Humility
    1 Karma
    1 Damping Matrix (anti Death and taxes tech)
    1 Warmth
    1 Ghostly Prison

I should have done better than 3-3, one match I boarded like an idiot and I made several play errors through the day. 3-3 is still decent considering I haven't played at all since the summer.

This deck gets a lot of cheap wins against decks that just cant handle scepter chant or moat game one. When you win people hate their life, which is good.

Goyf sligh is just too fucking fast for what I had to handle it. Story circle is too clunky to stop everything. I don't think you can live long enough to cast both Ivory mask and Moat. Warmth sucks.

Karma is very good.

I'd say that any threshold deck not running burn is a favorable match up.

I ran grunt as a way to get back my silver bullets that had been countered. Every game I got him he was very good. I think he is probably better than Valkyrie.

Hoofprints are a lot better than Sacred Mesa -especially togehter with Sheets.
    Oblivion Ring might be a decent addition, too.

Lurker
    May 2007
    Berkeley, CA

correct me if i'm wrong, but i don't think scrying sheets triggers hoofprints. it says you reveal the card, then put it into your hand. hoofprints requires a draw to add a counter.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Hoofprints doesn't get helped by sheets, but it does get help from top. I didn't consider playing it because I didn't have any.

Thread Information