Page 22 of 76 FirstFirst ... 121819202122232425263272 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

Re: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by Mystical_Jackass View Post
    I just saw a new previewed card, "Silence".
    Is this gonna be a new powerhouse card, I can't even imagine how broken that'd be with like a scepter on it.
    How is it better than Chant?

Hella fuckin' balls to the wall awesome
    Mar 2008
    Maryland

Thats easy...It's not
    Team Unicorn: We're horny...get it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    You might want to go to a hospital. It appears you cracked your head open.

You are leaking stupid all over the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    I masturbated on that picture of your cat.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Carabas View Post
    Would you consider Austere Command? Doesn't cycle, but can hit artifacts+most legacy creatures, can be a 6cc wrath, or in a pinch can take out CB.
    It's broken my heart to have to strip, bit by bit, most of the cards that were amazing in Onslaught Block MWC (and Rabid Wombat) out of the deck, including DoJ, Wing Shards, and Vengeance. It was necessitated by the fact that this deck runs more artifacts and enchantments than most other decks outside of Ancient Tomb decks and Enchantress, though.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Legacy Vagabond
    Dec 2007
    Cheshire, CT

Would Silence be better than Abeyance though?

Aug 2008
    Slovenia

It doesn't target though. Might be useful in metas where Runed Halo & co. are [heavily] played (if there exists such a meta).

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    It's broken my heart to have to strip, bit by bit, most of the cards that were amazing in Onslaught Block MWC (and Rabid Wombat) out of the deck, including DoJ, Wing Shards, and Vengeance.
    cutting md Decree seems obvious and i didn't like Vengeance even in my old-school Wombat deck. but cutting Wing Shards is such a butthurt for me.. can you explain it, please? novadays blue based a/c's are everywhere and we already run a lot of instants (including 4 or even more StP's) to help Shards working. even against goblins it often seems to be not worse than WoG because of Ports and their love to play creatures during the 1st main phase. and against Faerie Stompy, Team America, Thresh, Dreadstill and so on Shards seems a way better for me because of their counterspells and number of threats. playing Wombat, i've never put any WoG's in my deck before i was sure i had 4 of Shards already and i was satisfied with it even in my Goblins heavy meta. i haven't enough experience with Quinn though, so mb there is a difference between these decks and so i'm not right about it. but after a bit of testing 5 Swords, 3 Shards and 0 WoGs were ok for me.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

So, on spoilers...
    Open the Vaults

Sorcery

Return all artifact and enchantment cards from all graveyards to the battlefield under their owners' control.

Most people don't play replenish in this deck, but would this perhaps see any play? It gets back pretty much everything that we need, including our win conditions. It sucks that we have to return other people's as well, but hey, we probably don't care that much. Downside is that it costs 6, so that could hinder it from being most useful when we need it.

Honestly, I've just thought about it only slightly in the back of my head, but I'm just throwing it out there for now.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Open the Vaults would be interesting as a must counter for the control matchup. I doubt it'd be optimal as a sideboard card though.

@ykpon:

Wing Shards was just edged out by Runed Halo and O-Ring. The only card it could really replace is O-Ring, which is the maindeck answer to cards like Counterbalance and Smokestack and the like.

And for Silence over Abeyance;

Possibility, but I'm inclined towards 'no'. It's a lot more situational on a stick than Chant is, and Abeyance is good by itself + stops cards like Seal of Cleansing/Gempalm Incinerator.

I'm going to begin playing this deck in a meta comprised of ITF,Ugw Thresh, Goblins, WW, MBA, and random other things. I was wondering if anyone could give me match precentages.

Also I'm wondering, I'm running 1 mesa and 2 decree main deck. I'm thinking about going up to 2 mesa and cutting the decree for something else (Possibly elspeth) I'm wondering if this is the right call.

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Possibility, but I'm inclined towards 'no'. It's a lot more situational on a stick than Chant is, and Abeyance is good by itself + stops cards like Seal of Cleansing/Gempalm Incinerator.
    Most importantly, though, it keeps an online Pridemage from keeping you off the combo.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

And Deed, and EE. There's actually a surprising number of scenarios where it comes up.

@TheInfamousBearAssassin

i understand power of Ring and Halo, especially in a deck which uses Enlightened Tutor. i obviously run them as at least 1-of's. the only card i am comparing Wing Shards with is Wrath of God. here's what i think about it:

pros:
    1) better mana cost
    2) one sided
    3) somehow uncounterable
    4) can deal with Teeg, Finks, manlands and creatures with haste (Anger, Zealot, Warchief etc)

cons:
    1) can't kill really big swarms (though WoG without help of chant can't kill zombie tokens too and other swarms don't seem to be very popular these days. mb only Progenitus plus a bunch of elves, dunno)
    2) sometimes needs another instants to be effective (but we already have a lot of them which we are going to play during their turn anyway: chant, abeyance, tutor etc. and WoG needs such cards too when playing against blue decks)
    3) can't deal with Enchantress

any thoughts?

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

@ ykpon

Wing shards is a great card, but it isn't great enough. Runed Halo, Oblivion Ring and the other control cards are superior.

In a format where win condition density has been supplanted by threat diversity, where Goyf and several types of non-creature spells are the format defining threats (Counterbalance is a threat in my eyes), a control deck greatly benefits from versatile control cards. Think of the cards you wish to replace as being similar to the type of versatile control role played by permission spells in blue control decks.

Wing shards is too specific an answer while remaining behind the power curve when compared to currently run creature control spells. Moat, Wrath of God and StP are the core creature control package. The rest of the cards fill in the gaps while remaining capable of addressing non-creature threats.

There are too many types of threats for this deck to answer that we must give up certain focused cards, even if they are efficient, for answers that have a wider range of applications.

peace,
    4eak

May 2006
    Philippines

Hello,
    Just wondering how does this deck fair against countertop decks ?

It seems to defensive when faced with a blue or counterbalance deck your opponent will just wait for your threats to come thus he/she will have countermagic more or less to counter your ormis's, abeyance and isochron.

are there ways to work around those kinds of decks ?

thanks

I'm running a UW version, but am having problems with the mana base and having sufficent Blue spells to make FoW work.
    Here's the list...

Land:
    4 Tundra
    4 Windswept Heath
    4 Hallowed Fountain
    9 Plains
    2 Island

Creatures:
    2 Crovax
    2 Eternal Dragon

Planeswalker:
    2 Elspeth

Enchantments:
    3 Runed Halo
    4 O Ring
    2 Mobilization

Instants:
    3 StP
    4 Counterspell
    4 FoW
    4 Impulse

Sorceries:
    4 Wrath of God
    4 Ancestral Visions

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by Mono_Thematic View Post
    I'm running a UW version, but am having problems with the mana base and having sufficent Blue spells to make FoW work.

Any suggestions?
    So, you're playing a WU version and you can't get the WU manabase to work or up the blue count enough to play FoW? How does blue make the deck better, then?

STARE AT AN ORPHAN ITS ENTIRE LIFE
    May 2008

That doesn't look anything like Quinn. No combokill, no crazy draw engine, no moat. I'd look in the landstill thread for advice, it looks more like that, honestly.

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Woah, painter/stone combo is soooo much better than any other win condition for this deck. I was finally able to play with 2 painter/1 stone, and it was miles better than playing with horizons/belcher or no combo at all. I did play with 4 tutor and 1 argivian find though, since I wanted more ways to draw it/chance to get it back. Do you guys think running 1 grindstone is too risky though?

You know, not that this really adds much to the thread, but I just wanted to say how nice it was to finally play with the combo.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

May 2006
    Philippines

Hello
    With counter top and pridemages all over the current meta how does this deck work around it

thanks

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

Sorry that your question got missed.

While I haven't actually played against counterbalance, your main methods of dealing with CB before boarding is oblivion ring. It's not ideal, since you still have to worry about forces and dazes all day, but it lets you deal with it. Your best bet is probably to get rid of one or two (if you're lucky) and hope that you can combo out before they can completely gain the game. Also, against CB decks if you can get down a moat you've usually won the game. It's not ideal, but you have options.

Post board you get to bring in ray of revaltion/aura of silence to give you more tricks. However, since they're bringing grip in the match is likewise going to suck. Since I haven't actually played against blue I'm not sure what should be sided out, but scepter is probably high on the list since it's just going to get 2-for-1'ed all day after they bring in grips.

If you can get them off balance, then you can use abeyance/chant to protect any main spells that you need to buy time, or straight up protect painter/stone combo (7 or 8 mana to combo with protection is pretty good).

Pridemage is a different type of monster. I'm not 100% how to deal with the type of decks that you're going to see him in, but it will be a lot of aggro. You can try and use pithing needle from the board, use wraths for some card advantage, and try to race them with painter/stone combo.

Quinn is never something that I'd say gets a lot of byes versus certain types of decks, but likewise no matchup is unwinable. With some patience, luck, and top you can find the right elements to just steal away the game.
    Playing Punishing Regular Miracles.

Contribute to the community Miracles Primer.

Thread Information