Page 4 of 76 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

Re: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

Another thing to note about PP though is it protects Dragon from biting an StP. Is that, alongside protecting Moat and Halo worth two more mana? Probably not, but it does help the deck "get there" earlier.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Perhaps... I think a better question might be if it's worth running either, when Argivian Find already fulfills a similar role better. I can't remember ever Tutoring for Custody, even when I was facing Grips.

Edit: Updated the first post with my most recent list. Ditched Wing Shards and DoJ for +1 Halo/Ring/Top, and one each Mesa/Argivian Find maindeck. Tweaked the sideboard based on the cards I never found myself caring about.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Apr 2007
    Italy

Did you have troubles with decks that have recursions, like survival (or survial + vial) ?
    Troouble with the fact that you cannot destroy enchantment/artifact maindeck? Or maindeck grave removal?
    If enchantress plays seal of primordium you cannot combo with scepter lock, and he can outdraw you.
    Or genesis/squee can recur things like 1x viridian zealot.
    Icorid can outrace on turn 2/3, but it could be stopped by a turn one sensei/tutor for 1x tormod

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Oblivion Ring can take out artifacts/enchantments.

To answer your question; while I did have a lot of trouble with graveyard recursion, I find that between Scepter-Chant and Painters-Stone, it just doesn't come up that much anymore. Mainly these days I worry about Counterbalance, Chalice of the Void and Devastating Dreams, and large quanitites of burn, and not much besides.

Tormod's Crypt could help Ichorid maindeck, but where else would it really be relevant? Is it worth a maindeck slot? Aggro-Loam is already a pretty good matchup game 1, since they have no maindeck answers to either combo, and their creatures are fairly easy for you to deal with. It seems better to me to rely on StP, Orim's Chant and Runed Halo to stall Ichorid until you can get Moat out or combo out, although I'll admit I haven't tested this matchup much.

Dec 2005
    Kookamunga

After reading IBA's report and list and my own experience with MWC I am finding the following an outline of where I'm looking to test

I'm keeping the Wing Shards because I find vs Thresh and other aggro counter based decks, to be very tough matchups.Especially with cards like Enlightend Tutor and Isochron Scepter often being liabilities.

Wing Shards might help a bit more vs them than Wrath, and it seems that the decks that fall to Wrath are usually vulnerable to Scepter Lock.

Everything else and the card numbers seem right on to me.

- IBA you have done some really nice work pushing the archtype development lately .

//NAME: Mighty Quinn

2 Runed Halo
    2 Oblivion Ring
    2 Grindstone
    2 Painters Servant
    1 Sacred Mesa
    3 Wing Shards

3 ?????

3 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Moat
    2 Isochron Scepter
    3 Abeyance
    4 Orim's Chant
    2 Eternal Dragon
    4 Scrying Sheets
    18 Snow-Covered Plains

options I'm considering and comments from others about them

Main Deck:

3x Phyrexian Furnace - I'm not thrilled with them but they have utility and cantrip

3x Ray of Distortion - they Look like they might help answer some problems like counterbalance or Chalice and be relevent vs a good amount of decks ( I'm at least going to put them in the SB for testing)

2x Wrath
    1x Tormod's Crypt

Tithe? + Snow Covered Forests? would you consider a Splash Color for Krosan Grip, and other sideboard options?

Sideboard:

I find a 4th Enlightened Tutor almost invaluable in the sideboarded because
    when they work well i.e. many of the non-counterspell based decks often I just need to complete a reliably early combo or bullet to establish advantage.

Would a 4th Abeyance be a better option than the 2nd Argivian Find?

2x Argivian Find
    2x Tormod's Crypt
    1x Sacred Ground
    1x Jester's Cap
    1x Story Circle
    1x Pithing Needle
    1x Enlightened Tutor
    1x Genju of the Fields
    1x Powder Keg
    1x Wrath of God
    1x Seal of Cleansing
    1x Aura of Silence
    1x Hanna's Custody

anyones thoughts welcome on these, thanks

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Well you could always go -3 Wrath, +3 Wing Shards. I dunno. Ideally I'd like Wrath, Wing Shards, Runed Halo and Oblivion Ring all in the same deck, but they seem to be jostling for room. I'm liking the third Oblivion Ring because it does address problem cards like Counterbalance and Chalice (especially good against the latter). I'm not sure if there's a correct balance of the removal suite at the moment, it might be more of a metagame decision. I've also found Runed Halo to be really good against Thresh, though, as they usually run just 2-3 creatures. Ditto to Landstill. Now, Counterslivers or Merfolk it's probably a lot suckier against...

monkey
    Aug 2006
    Los Angeles

Quote Originally Posted by mugs View Post
    Tithe? + Snow Covered Forests? would you consider a Splash Color for Krosan Grip, and other sideboard options?

Tithe only grabs plains. Tithe + Savannah would do it. Alas, there are no Snow-Covered Savannahs.
    info.ninja

May 2008
    Milwaukee, WI

So, this seems like a somewhat safe place to post my mono-white, since I've been working on a list too =P So, first I'm going to post what I've been tossing around on Workstation for a list, and then I'm going to put some comments after it. I have little concept for a board right now.

// Lands (25)
    13 [OV] Plains
    4 [TSP] Flagstones of Trokair
    4 [TE] Wasteland
    3 [FUT] Horizon Canopy
    1 [DS] Darksteel Citadel

// Creatures
    1 [SC] Eternal Dragon

// Spells
    2 [MI] Sacred Mesa
    1 [SOK] Pithing Needle
    3 [MR] Isochron Scepter
    4 [WL] Abeyance
    1 [SC] Decree of Justice
    2 [LRW] Oblivion Ring
    4 [ARE] Enlightened Tutor
    4 [PS] Orim's Chant
    4 [FNM] Swords to Plowshares
    3 [FD] Crucible of Worlds
    2 [SHM] Runed Halo
    3 [REW] Wrath of God
    1 [LG] Moat

// Sideboard
    SB: 3 [SOK] Pithing Needle
    SB: 1 [TSB] Tormod's Crypt
    SB: 1 [8E] Circle of Protection: Black
    SB: 1 [8E] Circle of Protection: Green
    SB: 1 [TE] Circle of Protection: Red
    SB: 1 [TE] Circle of Protection: White
    SB: 1 [SHM] Wheel of Sun and Moon
    SB: 2 [TE] Hanna's Custody
    SB: 2 [WL] Aura of Silence
    SB: 1 [UD] Powder Keg
    SB: 1 [WL] Serenity

Really, I like having permanants for a lockdown, because I can fetch them with enlightened tutor, and I really need one to shut things down.

Right now I'm wondering about a couple things about your list:

The first is painter-combo. Is this the right win condition the deck needs? I mean, it's faster than most other options once played, but it does require two pieces, and I don't like that there's almost no creatures (except dragon), so it should be easy for removal to target him. I can't help feel that something like sacred mesa/decree of justice would be a more resilent choice over him, although slower. Painter does help a little bit early game in blocking little creatures, but that's about it.

The second thing I'm curious about is the scrying sheet/top engine. Has this engine proved very effective? I guess it's certainly a good way to use mana, and having 4 non-basics is hardly much of a threat to wasteland over 0. Top also seems like a solid inclusion, to help find the appropriate answer for the deck being played against. When I've been working on mono-white, I tried running crucible + horizon canopy/flagstones, which I liked a lot as well. I felt that crucible possibly opened up more opportunities as well, such as wastelands to help stall, or perhaps recurring mishra's factories, or some other land techs. Though, mishra's factory could really only be considered a win condition with humility, and blinkmoth nexus is too slow. I don't want to get too complicated with the deck, but when I played this way, I always liked to see my crucibles. (perhaps that was because I was too reliant on it.)

I've never really cared for eternal dragon, because I don't like to spend early turns cycling for a land, and when I've run mesa/decree, I generally find that he's too slow for that. However, I do like that he's a recurring win condition (as long as he doesn't bite it to StP), so he might be worth including. Time is definitely a factor in matches.

I'm unsure what to do for a removal/denial suite as well. 4 StP is obviously an auto-include for how good it is, but after that it's a hard choice. I'm thinking that 2-3 oblivion ring is probably the right choice as well, since it gives you more outs against troublesome permanants that aren't creatures, but also giving you the flexibility to hit them. At least 2 runed halo also seems solid. This is always a 1-for-1, but can start shutting down decks like Threshold with a low number of threats. This also gives you some more power against combo, naming Tendrils. I'm almost wondering if this could be somehow increased to a 4-of to further enhance matchups against low variety of threats. Also, it's cheap, but it easily dies to EE. As for spells to kill things, wing shards and wrath of god are the obvious next choices. I'd probably run shards only in addition to, just to be sure I'm getting the best trade for my spells.

Also, I like the 4th abeyance against blue and combo. Also helps us dig, and can shut some people off mana with fetchlands for a turn if used early game.

Not sure about ischron scepter. I've really been liking that combo, and scepter is still really good with swords, and at least acceptable with abeyance as an engine. Random wins without tutoring are powerful.

Okay, I said way too much, so I'll try not to say much more, but I'd like to discuss this deck with you IBA, so see if we can catch each other on AIM sometime =)

Quote Originally Posted by Valtrix View Post
    The first is painter-combo. Is this the right win condition the deck needs?
    You try finishing a game against Landstill with Decrees instead of Painters and Stones. It's far less fun.

The second thing I'm curious about is the scrying sheet/top engine. Has this engine proved very effective?
    Yes. Lands that draw cards are good. Read: Library of Alexandria.

It also gives you a way to find your kill.

Also, I like the 4th abeyance against blue and combo. Also helps us dig, and can shut some people off mana with fetchlands for a turn if used early game.
    It won't turn off their mana unless they're really incompetent or not paying attention. They'll always just pop in response if they need the mana.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

I came to the conclusion, at the Richie Profitt tournament, that decks that can't play and finish three games in 50 minutes inherently suck, statistically. So, yes, I'm a huge fan of the combo finish (I should mention that Lego Army Man was the first one to suggest it to me in this deck), I think it's what actually makes the deck highly viable and pushes it past something like Landstill, Truffle Shuffle, It's the Fear, etc...

The Scrying Sheet engine has been amazing for me. Never drawing land and making a land drop each turn, while digging rapidly through your deck, is just really, really good. And it doesn't even take up a spell slot. It's hard to think of a card draw engine I'd prefer even outside of White.

Eternal Dragon offers a lot of flexibility. He shuffles for Top, smooths mana, beats, blocks, and keeps coming back (usually). I wouldn't say that I'd never cut him, but Dragon's just a damned good card. DoJs might be better as kill conditions in that slot, but offer less versatility.

I don't think a fourth Abeyance is a terrible idea, but there are a number of cards jostling for room, and I've got to say it's one of the few slots in the deck where I've never felt any pressure at all to cut or add. Seven Chant-effects is already quite a few, and you don't want Chant itself as a 3-of since it's part of your hard lock.

Scepter is really good. I feel like I ought to be running more, but I always seem to find it at the right time as a 2-of.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

Quote Originally Posted by xsockmonkeyx View Post
    Alas, there are no Snow-Covered Savannahs.
    Arctic Flats? Sure cip tapped, but it provides access to Krosan Grip awesomeness
    Quote Originally Posted by Tacosnape
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

It can't be searched for. Honestly, I'm not sure I even want Grips. Aura of Silence is a lot more powerful against a lot of decks that could be problematic, such as Blah-Stompy or Enchantress or Armageddon Stax. I'd rather run more Auras first.

Victory Dance ftw?
    Feb 2006

My bad. I thought it was a cip tapped snow savannah. However, the decks you mentioned tend to end up with plenty of mana to spare, and power out their artifacts and enchantments anyways. If Quinn had better control of the stack, to allow for playing priority tricks, then Aura of Silence may suffice. But without that, I feel like the value of instant speed, split second ownage cannot be ignored.
    <Dallieza> your mom uses the stack
    <System> Player Lost
    Every time someone drops a Chalice against me I think of the Family Guy episode where the guy in jail stabs himself with the knife to see how it feels and then he says, "My God! Is this what I've been doing to people? I belong in here!"
    Referring to the art on Stasis:
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Well, uh...the mime, you see, is....um...

God, is that furry bondage?

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

While it's true that those decks can get around Aura by around turn 5-6 usually, they also completely suck it to the combo-win or Scepter-Chant. So generally all I'm trying to do is get that running. For this reason I'd rather run Aura.

Winter is coming...
    Dec 2005

I have to say, I'm insanely impressed with the new direction of this deck. Kudos to IBA and Lego for the idea and its execution.

The only curiosity I see in the list posted on the previous page is the 3x E Tutor. While perhaps not the strongest number in game 1, it seems that you would almost always want as many chances to tutor up your bullets from the board.
    I've never seen him so upset....or ever before.

Dec 2005
    Kookamunga

If it helps I tested a similar deck last year mwc combo with scepter lock and many of the card numbers IBA has, I found indendently also - to be correct. notably.
    2 Isochron Scepter
    3 Enlightned Tutor
    1 Moat

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Basically. Multiple E. Tutors suck a lot. I guess there's an argument for one in the board, but I've actually found board space to be pretty tight. The tutors offer a lot of redundancy with putting together different board states, depending on the opponent, but you don't want to be choked by them. And Top also duplicates the effect to a large extent.

Mar 2006
    Amsterdam

Despite my efforts, I find myself unable to figure out what the Grindstone and the Painters Servant in the sideboard are for? You already run them maindeck, so what's the point?

Also, the Defense Grid in the SB seems unuseful, this is not a tempo deck and opposing control decks can just wait until they have the mana to circumvent the effect and use their counters to anyway. Tutoring for a Scepter and imprinting Abeyance or Orims Chant seems much more useful.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

When I'm more worried about removal/counters, or the combo is going to be my first line of offense rather than a delayed win condition (such as, for instance, when time is an issue), I'll side in the extra parts of the combo. The third Painter comes in especially often against StP, for instance.

Defense Grid is more usful than it might seem. While this deck is still slow, it does have the option of winning turn 6-7 realistically (earlier occasionally) through the combo. And the mere threat of Defense Grid forcing through the combo can force them to keep mana open even where they have free counters. And besides the combo, it can also just force through all the silver bullets. That said, it's not one of the most important cards in the SB, and could be cut.

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

Have you considered scour in the board? It seems like a good answer to counterbalance and this deck really needs some help in that department. Might be a little narrow but counterbalance tends to be everywhere at most "high level" tournaments.
    they haunt minds...

Thread Information