Page 51 of 76 FirstFirst ... 4147484950515253545561 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 1514

Thread: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

ლ(ಠ_ಠლ)
    Jun 2007

Re: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

I don't like Leyline of Sanctity as a singleton in your side. I believe it's either a 4-of or don't bother running it. I know the deck runs E. Tutor but in the matchups you want it in, you want to have it in the field ASAP.
    I disagree. Obviously, when you are siding in Leyline, you often wish you had all 4 (take Burn or Tendrils combo as examples). But, there are plenty of cases where having the one available is plenty to give you the advantage without forcing you to have the redundancy or replace other cards that you want to keep in the deck (both main and side).

To me, if you have E-tutor, the choice isn't between 0 and 4, but rather 1 and 4.

There are plenty of times, including Burn and Discard, where having that '1' makes all the difference. Going t4 Leyline against Burn will generally win you the game, and against decks with hand disruption, you're usually going to have a longer game, where they will be drawing more hand disruption which leyline will blank.

peace,
    4eak

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

Made a couple changes, if anyone cares about this deck anymore. I took out some of the jankier things:soldevi digger( though i love being able to recur things, arg. find is enough and i dont have enough shuffle effects), orim's prayer(love getting this+humility online, I just simply need the slot and it's not as good enough to justify the slot). The sideboard seems to change daily.

Lands:

18 snow covered Plains
    4 Scrying Sheets

Artifacts:
    3 sensei's divining top
    3 Isochron scepter
    2 grindstone
    2 painter's servant
    1 pithing needle

Instants/Sorceries
    4 stp
    4 enlightened tutor
    3 Abeyance
    3 Orim's Chant
    3 Argivian find
    2 wrath of god

Enchantments:
    3 oblivion ring
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 seal of cleansing
    1 humilty
    1 sacred mesa
    1 story circle

Sideboard:
    4 leyline of sanctity
    2 tormod's crypt
    1 aura of silence
    1 runed halo
    1 Seal of cleansing
    1 story circle
    1 wrath of god
    1 ratchet bomb
    1 humility
    1 orim's prayer
    1 open spot, what do you think I'm still weak against? So many 1 ofs...

Isochron scepter is quickly becoming one of my favorite cards ever printed, you can chant/abeyance people out, make a swords gun, hell you can even stick an enlightened tutor on it and grab answers at will(if for some reason you don't want to chant people out).

Cards I'd like to work in: Ghostly Prison, Ghost Quarter(poor man's wasteland, and I am def. poor) Justice(do I really need another anti burn card? probably not). If people still play charbelcher I was going to add secret COP: artifacts tech, just cause I don't think it's ever seen competitive play.

I haven't put together this deck completely(still trying to get grindstones, rest of the tutors, and for some reason I can't find IA snow-covered plains LOL. Anyone wanna sell 18?), but the janky version I'm playing now(kjeldoran outpost AWC hahaha) still pisses off my casual group. I don't think I'll even play it with them once it's complete.

Quote Originally Posted by 4eak View Post
    I disagree. Obviously, when you are siding in Leyline, you often wish you had all 4 (take Burn or Tendrils combo as examples). But, there are plenty of cases where having the one available is plenty to give you the advantage without forcing you to have the redundancy or replace other cards that you want to keep in the deck (both main and side).

To me, if you have E-tutor, the choice isn't between 0 and 4, but rather 1 and 4.

There are plenty of times, including Burn and Discard, where having that '1' makes all the difference. Going t4 Leyline against Burn will generally win you the game, and against decks with hand disruption, you're usually going to have a longer game, where they will be drawing more hand disruption which leyline will blank.

peace,
    4eak
    I have to disagree with this. Any decent burn deck is godlfishing T4 anyways. Plus I've beaten double Leyline on T0 (granted not vs Quinn) with nothing but guides, marauders and pops. Not to mention chaos warp is a sweet answer to a t4 Leyline and at that point you are probably hurting pretty bad. There are better cards vs burn (cop:red, story circle, etc) and Leyline is poor vs storm especially if you are hardcasting it. Anyways, storm is a decent matchup already.

EDIT: @scrubbysniff
    I like a maindeck runed halo because it can do sooo much and is rarely (never?) dead. Also, I HATE sacred mesa. I've found luminarch ascension to be far better although eventually I cut either and played elspeth as my win con. I think luminarch at least belongs in the side because it puts the hurt on slow control decks. If you ever have open slots and can't figure out what to put in just add an oblivion ring. It does everything. One last thing, try to get the 4th top in your main. It's that good plus it will be missteped all day everyday.

EDIT EDIT: Leyline isn't that good vs discard either unless you open with it. If you want a bullet to tutor spiritual focus is infinitely better. Also, @scrubbysniff extra pithing needles are never a bad idea either.

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

Yeah I probably should go four tops(so poor though, big reason i picked this deck, no wastelands, duals, FOW, etc). I disagree about mesa-it can be useful to provide blockers if need be, it doesn't activate once every four turns, and is much less hurt by humility(which I'm going to try my damndest to get out against anything with creatures). It's a secondary win condition anyway. What do you think about Lightmine Field in the board? Obviously bad synergy with the mesa, but hopefully I'm grinding people out anyway, maybe swich mesa out for it against goblins etc?

Quote Originally Posted by scrubbysniff View Post
    Yeah I probably should go four tops(so poor though, big reason i picked this deck, no wastelands, duals, FOW, etc). I disagree about mesa-it can be useful to provide blockers if need be, it doesn't activate once every four turns, and is much less hurt by humility(which I'm going to try my damndest to get out against anything with creatures). It's a secondary win condition anyway. What do you think about Lightmine Field in the board? Obviously bad synergy with the mesa, but hopefully I'm grinding people out anyway, maybe swich mesa out for it against goblins etc?
    Once ascension is active you can activate it as much as you want. The counters don't go away. Moat is infinitely better than lightmine field but on a tight budget that seems reasonable. Like I said I don't like luminarch or mesa main, I play 2 elspeths as a backup plan. Luminarch I think needs to be somewhere in the 75 because it curb stomps slow control (BUG still, etc) whereas mesa not so much. Mesa is good vs creatures but so is elspeth and she doesn't tie up mana. Not to mention creature decks tend to be pretty good matchups in my experience. I also play 2 or 3 eternal dragons but mostly because I love that card as opposed to it being good. Still that guy can provide lategame CA and a good body. I haven't picked this deck up in a while but I have a feeling UW Mystic will be very tough. You might want more disenchants than just 1 seal in the board. Also, humility doesn't affect batterskull's +4/+4 in fact it will be a 5/5 I believe and depending on timestamp it could still have lifelink! Plus the bounce ability won't go away because it is an ability of the equipment on one granted to the creature. Another reason why moat is key. I really can't think of any way to help that matchup short of springing for moats and even then it is icky to say the least. Maybe more needles, but those will be misstepped very often. I guess load up on runed halos and o rings. If you get some experience with the matchup I would love to hear about it.
    Last edited by rupus; 07-18-2011 at 06:34 AM. Reason: spelling

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

Oh, duh. I read ascension wrong, just getting back in to the game after about 10 years; still playing catch-up. I can see where you'd consider it superior, but I just like mesa. Parfait was the last deck I kept after quitting so it has the nostalgia factor, plus I have a bunch of pegasus tokens.

I have 1 seal and 1 aura main, and 1 of each in the board. I use to run main deck disenchants(also Isostickable, although it's almost never the best choice heh) but they got bumped out somewhere along the line.

I would love to run a moat, in fact I wish I still had my italian one I sold in 2000 in a lot of rares that netted me all of about 60 bucks. Same with my 4 foil foreign ports...sigh.

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

I have been playing this deck for about a year now. I have tested ascension and it was sub par for me. I think 3 SdT is enough even in a post MM meta. I also agree that this deck needs more shuffle effects. I run 5 right now 1 e. dragon and 4 e. tutors. I have been toying with the idea of running a few fetch lands but it weakens the snow draw engine. I would say 2-3 should be enough. I beleive runed halo is a must it is good in every match up.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

What about Stoneforge Mystic with Batterskull? I know SFM has that disynergy with Humility but it won't hurt to test right?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

"One cannot cleanse the wounds of failure."
    Sep 2009
    New Jersey

Well today is a very sad day. My whole Quinn deck (along with my Vintage deck) was run over by a car on the Highway today after it fell off my motorcycle. Every thing in both decks is pretty much destroyed. So I will not be much help on this thread anymore and wish you all the best of luck with the progress of this deck.
    Team DonkeyPunch
    -Assquatch (NJpunk1)
    -Badass (TBD)
    -Cheapass (Mike)
    -Dumbass (Schulz)
    -Fatass (Lebron jim)
    -Smartass (Andrew)

"JUDGE! An instant would say instant if it was an instant right?"

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by Schulz View Post
    Well today is a very sad day. My whole Quinn deck (along with my Vintage deck) was run over by a car on the Highway today after it fell off my motorcycle. Every thing in both decks is pretty much destroyed. So I will not be much help on this thread anymore and wish you all the best of luck with the progress of this deck.
    Please tell us you didn't have a Moat in that pile.

Other than that, sorry for the loss. Hopefully no Power or big money cards in both decks.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

"One cannot cleanse the wounds of failure."
    Sep 2009
    New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    Please tell us you didn't have a Moat in that pile.

Other than that, sorry for the loss. Hopefully no Power or big money cards in both decks.
    Yes there was a Moat and Quinn was Jap Foiled out and Power was damaged
    Team DonkeyPunch
    -Assquatch (NJpunk1)
    -Badass (TBD)
    -Cheapass (Mike)
    -Dumbass (Schulz)
    -Fatass (Lebron jim)
    -Smartass (Andrew)

"JUDGE! An instant would say instant if it was an instant right?"

Have you tried grand abolisher? I've been running 4 of them in my Quinn variation, and I'm a big fan. It basically does the work of a secpter+chant on your turn, every turn. Shuts down counterspells, top, brainstorming, etc. Definitely disrupts your opponent's standard style of play. You obviously don't have to go with 4, but i think a few would certainly help.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I like the idea of Grand Abolisher. The problem with that is it gets totally shuts down by one of the key cards of the deck: Humility.

Though I am thinking of replacing Humility with Ghostly Prison or more sweepers. This way, te deck can also utilize Stoneforge Mystic.

Honestly I haven't played the deck in a while because of Mental Misstep. I fear that a lot of this deck's key spells gets easily hit with MM. Want to share your current list right now?
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Like I said before, this deck is a variation on the standard Quinn. The main things you'll notice are the lack of the snow land engine, no SDTs, and the lack of enchantments. Lately, i've moved away from the enchantments. I used to run more a creature-control lineup, but with grand abolisher coming out i had to take out the wraths and humility.

2x Grindstone
    4x Isochron Scepter
    2x Painter's Servant

2x Aven Mindcensor
    4x Grand Abolisher
    3x Peacekeeper
    1x Phyrexian Metamorph

1x Luminarch Ascension
    3x Oblivion Ring

4x Enlightened Tutor
    2x Holy Day
    4x Orim's Chant
    4x Silence
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    1x Wrath of God

4x Ancient Tomb
    12x Plains
    1x Flagstones of Trokair
    2x Ancient Den

(working) Sideboard

3x Pithing Needle
    2x Ethersworn Canonist
    1x Humility
    4x Leyline of Sanctity
    2x Wrath of God
    1x story circle

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

Here's my new build, went up to 4 tops.

Lands:

18 snow covered Plains
    4 Scrying Sheets

Artifacts:
    4 sensei's divining top
    3 Isochron scepter
    2 grindstone
    2 painter's servant
    1 pithing needle

Instants/Sorceries
    4 stp
    4 enlightened tutor
    2 Abeyance
    3 Orim's Chant
    3 Argivian find
    2 wrath of god

Enchantments:
    3 oblivion ring
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 seal of cleansing
    1 humilty
    1 sacred mesa
    1 story circle

Is wing shards as good as I think it is? Seems like it could swing games if the storm count gets high enough. Also thinking of putting some janky stuff in, mana tithe/rebuff the wicked(doesn't stop grip though...)

Here's my new build, went up to 4 tops.

Lands:

18 snow covered Plains
    4 Scrying Sheets

Artifacts:
    4 sensei's divining top
    3 Isochron scepter
    2 grindstone
    2 painter's servant
    1 pithing needle

Instants/Sorceries
    4 stp
    4 enlightened tutor
    2 Abeyance
    3 Orim's Chant
    3 Argivian find
    2 wrath of god

Enchantments:
    3 oblivion ring
    1 Aura of Silence
    1 seal of cleansing
    1 humilty
    1 sacred mesa
    1 story circle

Is wing shards as good as I think it is? Seems like it could swing games if the storm count gets high enough. Also thinking of putting some janky stuff in, mana tithe/rebuff the wicked(doesn't stop grip though...)
    Didn't I say that you should play 4 tops because it's the best card in the deck? Anyways, I feel like the deck needs more shuffles. I still like a pair of eternal dragons but realistically adding 2-4 fetch lands is probably better. I think that you should try to squeeze 1 more pithing needle in there (in the side probably). Vs decks where pithing needle is good I find that they have more than one target I want to hit (Coralhelm Commander/Wasteland/Mutavault/Vial in merfolk, Deed/Jace/EE/Factory in BUGstill, Mystic/Jace/Batterskull in UW mystic, etc). Also, I've been thinking hex parasite might be good to test, although he's probably not any better than pithing needle/beatle. On mana tithe/rebuff I love white counterspells but they've never done it for me. Wing shards is only good at taking out shroud guys and then basically anything else is better (metamorph is far better at hitting progenitus than shards). How are you going to get storm up enough for it to make a difference? Chances are they are going to play spells in their second main. So you need to build storm on your own. If you swords a creature and then shards you can hit 3 creatures for 4 mana and 2 cards. If you wrath it's still 4 mana but only 1 card so you are generating more ca. There's not many indestructible or hasty creatures so wrath is better 99% of the time. Honestly the only time I would ever want shards over anything else would be vs Sneak Attack which isn't even a real deck.

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by rupus View Post
    Didn't I say that you should play 4 tops because it's the best card in the deck? Anyways, I feel like the deck needs more shuffles. I still like a pair of eternal dragons but realistically adding 2-4 fetch lands is probably better. I think that you should try to squeeze 1 more pithing needle in there (in the side probably). Vs decks where pithing needle is good I find that they have more than one target I want to hit (Coralhelm Commander/Wasteland/Mutavault/Vial in merfolk, Deed/Jace/EE/Factory in BUGstill, Mystic/Jace/Batterskull in UW mystic, etc). Also, I've been thinking hex parasite might be good to test, although he's probably not any better than pithing needle/beatle. On mana tithe/rebuff I love white counterspells but they've never done it for me. Wing shards is only good at taking out shroud guys and then basically anything else is better (metamorph is far better at hitting progenitus than shards). How are you going to get storm up enough for it to make a difference? Chances are they are going to play spells in their second main. So you need to build storm on your own. If you swords a creature and then shards you can hit 3 creatures for 4 mana and 2 cards. If you wrath it's still 4 mana but only 1 card so you are generating more ca. There's not many indestructible or hasty creatures so wrath is better 99% of the time. Honestly the only time I would ever want shards over anything else would be vs Sneak Attack which isn't even a real deck.
    Probably, though only having 3 at the time was the main reason ;) Def. am going to put another pithing needle in the sideboard. Didn't post SB since it changes so often. The white counters seem suboptimal yes, but absolutely noone plays around mana tithe, seems like it'd be useless most of the time, but might be a swing card if timed right. As for wing shards, it is true most smart players will play spells in second mainphase, the situation I had in my mind was either abeyance or plow something during their upkeep, and potentially nail 3 w/plow. Obviously this is all situational, and probably not playable. Grand Abolisher seems like it'd be good in the control matchup.

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

What are our best defenses against Hive Mind? Does Angel's Grace work?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

What are our best defenses against Hive Mind? Does Angel's Grace work?
    That or run a Sundial of Infinite as a Tutor target. Though having Angel's Grace on Scepter could create some hilarious moments.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    That or run a Sundial of Infinite as a Tutor target. Though having Angel's Grace on Scepter could create some hilarious moments.
    That's why I love scepter, so many stupid things to be done with it.

Thread Information