Page 52 of 76 FirstFirst ... 24248495051525354555662 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,040 of 1514

Thread: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

Re: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

Quote Originally Posted by scrubbysniff View Post
    What are our best defenses against Hive Mind? Does Angel's Grace work?
    Chant in response to show and tell or hive mind + an instant speed enchantment removal works too. Or chant in response to show and tell and show an o-ring. Actually mana tithing your copy works too.

Speaking of mana tithe I played a ww deck a while ago with them and it definitely leads to huge blowouts but really only works once. After that first time they will play around it if you leave mana up which can be good for you but the problem is that is doesn't generate tempo as well as daze does and even if it did this deck isn't built to capitalize on tempo but rather grind out incremental advantage.

EDIT: Although if you are worried about hive mind mana tithe is infinitely less narrow than angel's grace. Rebuff the Wicked probably has more place than mana tithe though, because you want to react rather than be proactive (proact?). The biggest issue is that neither stops k grip or deals profitably with ancient grudge or ray of revelation which are the worst things to run into.

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

I suppose if I had room I'd maindeck 3 or 4 mana tithe, then 2nd game side em out, they'll be playing around something I don't have. Unfortunately I don't think I have room.

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

More janky tech from the mind of scrubby:

Al-abara's Carpet
    Mana Cost:5
    Converted Mana Cost:5
    Types:
    Artifact
    Card Text:
    5, Tap: Prevent all damage that would be dealt to you this turn by attacking creatures without flying.

I found two italian black bordered ones, and saw a (admittedly poor) alternative to moat. This deck never misses a land drop if you have the top/scrying sheets engine going, which sort of helps with sinking 5 mana a turn into it. Rules with humility. I'm pretty sure every opponent I'd play would have to read it.

edit: I realize it's pretty awful. Too poor for a moat ;)

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I myself am also too poor for a Moat. I run 2 Humilities on the main to compensate. I also run a Story Circle in the main and 2 Ghostly Prison on the side. I think Moat, while really good, is not that necesary to the deck. The deck does run Wrath of God/Day of Judgement.

With Storm combo almost non-existent, the deck needs to focus on it's control matchup especially that it's all over the meta. In my experience, Control (in particular blue-based control) has been this deck's bad matchup. A preemptive Sundial against Hive Mind isn't a bad play, it's like how a preemptive Relic of Progenitus/etc. isn't a bad play against graveyard-based decks. Yes they can still go play around it but at least you've slowed them down. While it can sound narrow, I believe the deck is equipped already when it comes to fighting Hive Mind's back up (Show and Tell >Emrakul)
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

Yeah, I'm also running humility. Like earlier in thread, it's alot of fun to drop a caltrops(after siding out my mesa) or an orim's prayer. This is mostly in casual though with my friends, I would drop those at a real event.

As for control, I'm thinking Grand Abolisher is essential in the board against it, side out the humility for these fellas. Assuming I can force it into play with a chant effect. Not being tutorable is a weak spot though, I'd probably run 3 in the board.

Ha. I was about to say caltrops. I would rather run ensnaring bridge even though you generally have a full grip. Story circle, humility, and prison is probably enough though. I'm super not a fan of super narrow hive mind answers. Chant (or even a canonist) and a disenchant isn't going to make it favorable but honestly I think it's better than wasting a slot on sundial. Silence is actually better than chant because it gets around leyline in their board. If you are super worried just switch your abeyances and maybe a chant or two for silences and hope you don't run into it too often. As far as jank tech goes what about Worship? Vs control abolisher seems solid. Defnese grid is a tutorable option but it doesn't play nice with chant. I guess you just gotta load up on needles. I'm blanking on other good control hosers but I feel like I'm mossing something. It'll come to me eventually I hope.

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

Yeah, bridge is good, I gotta snatch one up soon. Control hosers, again I think abolisher is nuts if you can resolve it. Silence I think would be good yeah. Worship is cool, but I'm largely creatureless(except for painter, obviously). I think it could be good with the mesa though.

Also big ups to TIBA for crafting this deck, it's so much fun and right up my alley, and when I got back in I wanted something parfait-like.

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

I know I'm like the only one still playing this(or posting about it) but more opinions I'd like to hear. Island Sanctuary seems like a good moat replacement; I can still scry plains up in my hand, using top to do that and also if I see a tutor/win condition coming up I can choose to not use the Sanctuary(the fact that it's not a do or die condition to skip your draw step makes this card 10x better).

Another janky thing: Thran Turbine. Feeds top, scrying sheets, isochron, and mesa. Doubt I'd have spots for it, but if I busted it out for casual I might toss one or two in.
    Last edited by scrubbysniff; 08-15-2011 at 01:44 AM.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

I have playtested Island Sanctuary before. While it's great, it's downfall is it allows Islandwalk creatures to get through it. Not to mention that you have to skip your draw. I still believe that Ghostly Prison is a better replacement for Moat.

As for Thran Turbine, it looks good as it feeds mana to the Snow-Land draw engine but what would you remove to fit it in?
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Quote Originally Posted by (nameless one) View Post
    I have playtested Island Sanctuary before. While it's great, it's downfall is it allows Islandwalk creatures to get through it. Not to mention that you have to skip your draw. I still believe that Ghostly Prison is a better replacement for Moat.

As for Thran Turbine, it looks good as it feeds mana to the Snow-Land draw engine but what would you remove to fit it in?
    Cutting a land seems like the most obvious thing to do (you would probably only want 1 I think) but that hurts the consistency of the snow engine, probably not a lot though. A chant effect seems like the second thing to try cutting if land hurts the deck too much.
    Quote Originally Posted by lorddotm View Post
    Saying something isn't bad in Angel Stompy is like saying Memnite isn't bad in Cherrios.

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

I dunno, I feel with 4 plows and oblivion rings, (removed my idiot misunderstanding of Island Sanctuary) I can deal with islandwalkers.

Thran turbine was just sort of a silly idea I had, I probably wouldn't cut anything for it. Maybe a land like rupus said. I just like the idea of not having to commit my lands to keeping the engine going. It'd be nice to be able to scepter without having to hold 3 aside for the kicker on chant. Once I get a 4th chant I think it will go in.

Also, would it be crazy to throwin like 4 snowcovered forest, to splash sterling grove? At the very least it would draw a krosan grip/counter, and can be used to tutor for any enchantment bullets I might need.
    Last edited by scrubbysniff; 08-27-2011 at 03:14 AM. Reason: wanted to add more words

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Why would you need Sterling Grove? If you want your enchantments to have shroud, you can use Greater Auramancy. This way, you won't have to splash green.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

I like running more than 4 enlightened tutors I guess(though only for enchantments) Where are my snow covered duals, WOTC >:(

Btw nameless and rupus add me on AIM if you use it, we can talk about this deck much faster: ericdrums1337
    Last edited by scrubbysniff; 08-27-2011 at 03:15 AM.

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

Taking this to a tourney tomorrow, I don't expect to see a whole lot of tier one decks(aside from like 2 or 3 dudes). I'll write up a report and post it tomorrow night. I've got some super secret sideboard tech, I'm curious to see how it works out.

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by scrubbysniff View Post
    Taking this to a tourney tomorrow, I don't expect to see a whole lot of tier one decks(aside from like 2 or 3 dudes). I'll write up a report and post it tomorrow night. I've got some super secret sideboard tech, I'm curious to see how it works out.
    Good luck. Post any secret techs youre running after the tourney.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Jun 2011
    SE Ohio

Well, took first in 4 rounds of swiss(we generally don't cut to top 8, turnout is around a dozen or so, small town). Went 8-1. Using this a placeholder when I finish my report, pretty tired.

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Glad it worked out. Interested in seeing your final list. I've been playing around with this concept but moved in sort of a new direction, since there's just a critical mass of annoying cards that've been released that hurt the deck's original lineup of tricks; Emrakul being the biggest one, but also Pridemage, Mental Misstep.

On the other hand at least people have started taking K-Grips out of their boards (at least compared to when they were obligatory).
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Oct 2010
    Germany

What's the problem with Emrakul? ...Wrath of God, Humility?

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

The fact that he stops the Painter-Grindstone combo from working.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    The fact that he stops the Painter-Grindstone combo from working.
    hey IBA,

From what I remembered from your last list, you never ran Elsepth KK. You mentioned that it cannot be tutorable.

With aggro not that dominant (though the deck still has a positive matchup with that) and combo not being as fast as it used to be, would you reconsider Elspeth KK (and possibly Gideon) as an alternative win-con?

Though I think the reason why I rarely play this deck now is because it sucks against blue permission decks. Maybe I'm doing it wrong but I think the meta post Mental Misstep did not help this deck that already has a bad matchup against blue.
    sure
    stupid cocksucker

Thread Information