Page 61 of 76 FirstFirst ... 115157585960616263646571 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,220 of 1514

Thread: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

Re: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

Hi,

Went 2-2 including the bye today. I played the list above (previous post) with:

MD: -1 mana tithe, -1 entreat the angels, -2 desert, +2 mikokoro, +1 helm of obedience, +1 spirit of the labyrinth
    SB:

4 Leyline of Sanctity
    2 pithing needle
    2 path to exile
    2 ray of distortion
    1 terminus
    1 humility
    1 rule of law
    1 umezawa's jitte
    1 emrakul

I picked up 2 more terminus to replace path. I actually missed desert...good vs. dnt creatures. It would have just died though...

Round 1: Death and Taxes 0-2
    Game 1 I couldn't find the second combo piece in time.
    Game 2 I had the combo but it was revoker'd. I tried to e-tutor but was shut down by aven mindcensor.

Round 2: Bye

Round 3: LED Dredge 2-1

Round 4: Pox 0-2
    Abrupt decay and ld followed up by desecration demon and tombstalker got there despite leyline of sanctity. This matchup is bad oh well...

Oct 2011
    Portugal

Love the deck.
    What is the reasoning with stoneforge mystic package in main board?

Quote Originally Posted by Kring View Post
    Love the deck.
    What is the reasoning with stoneforge mystic package in main board?
    One of my biggest issues with the original build was that I could not apply pressure in matches where I wanted to. Stoneforge is a clock on its own versus combo and still good vs. aggro. Even versus control it requires attention, is card advantage, and will often eat a protection spell. It has tested well.

Hi,

I went 2-1-1 today.

MD: +1 entreat the angels, +2 desert, -2 mikokoro, -1 helm of obedience

I feel like revoker may have a place in the deck. Anyone else try a creature heavy version? Thoughts?

SB:

3 ray of distortion
    3 terminus
    2 pithing needle
    2 orim's chant (in place of leyline of sanctity since I only have one)
    1 abeyance (in place of leyline of sanctity since I only have one)
    1 Leyline of Sanctity
    1 porphyry nodes
    1 humility
    1 rule of law

Round 1: TNN/deathrite/jace BUG 1-1-1
    G1 I e-tutored for canonist turn 1...he usually plays ANT. He was not playing ANT.
    G2 I combo'd.
    G3 went to time. I had a rip, 3 lands and a helm for a bunch of turns...

Round 2: Merfolk 2-1
    I got crushed game 1 with a slow hand quick. G2/3 I boarded in hate.

Round 3: UW Miracles 2-1
    This matchup is hard. He beat me the last 2 times we played.

Round 4: Junk depths/hate bears 1-2
    I got there game 1 as he was on the loam plan. G 2/3 he boarded in a bunch of junk bears plus gsz and living wish. I didnt board in sweepers game 2...his hate was liliana and chalice g1. Teeg is rough...so is thalia...and revoker...and confidant...etc.

What do you guys think of the list below? Just starting Quinn and need some advice.

4 Scrying Sheets
    1 Ancient Den
    17 Snow-Covered Plains

4 Sensei’s Divining Top
    2 Isochron Scepter
    2 Helm of Obedience
    1 Batterskull

4 Rest in Peace
    3 Oblivion Stone
    2 Runed Halo
    1 Sacred Mesa
    1 Humility

4 Orim’s Chant
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Abeyance
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Argivian Find
    3 Day of Judgment
    Currently playing:

Affinity
    Working on something else...

Quote Originally Posted by Etched View Post
    What do you guys think of the list below? Just starting Quinn and need some advice.

4 Scrying Sheets
    1 Ancient Den
    17 Snow-Covered Plains

4 Sensei’s Divining Top
    2 Isochron Scepter
    2 Helm of Obedience
    1 Batterskull

4 Rest in Peace
    3 Oblivion Stone
    2 Runed Halo
    1 Sacred Mesa
    1 Humility

4 Orim’s Chant
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Abeyance
    3 Enlightened Tutor
    1 Argivian Find
    3 Day of Judgment
    22 lands and day of judgement seems low. The decks when doj shines run wasteland/port/thalia/cursecatcher. Also why doj over wog?

1 batterskull and no stoneforge?

Oblivion stone...you mean oblivion ring, right?

4 rest in peace and argivian find?

I dont like the scepter package right now but it is a meta call. What decks are in your meta?

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    22 lands and day of judgement seems low. The decks when doj shines run wasteland/port/thalia/cursecatcher. Also why doj over wog?

1 batterskull and no stoneforge?

Oblivion stone...you mean oblivion ring, right?

4 rest in peace and argivian find?

I dont like the scepter package right now but it is a meta call. What decks are in your meta?
    Thanks for the response, kinda. My meta is pretty varied, but a lot of Delver/Miracles/Blade will show up. ANT appears quite often too. Does the list below look better? I believe I’ve addressed all questioned cards. I’ve got two more slots as well.

4 Scrying Sheets
    1 Ancient Den
    17 Snow-Covered Plains

4 Sensei’s Divining Top
    2 Isochron Scepter
    2 Helm of Obedience

1 Ethersworn Canonist

2 Rest in Peace
    3 Oblivion Ring
    2 Runed Halo
    1 Sacred Mesa
    1 Humility

4 Orim’s Chant
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Abeyance
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Wrath of God
    Currently playing:

Affinity

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Etched View Post
    Thanks for the response, kinda. My meta is pretty varied, but a lot of Delver/Miracles/Blade will show up. ANT appears quite often too. Does the list below look better? I believe I’ve addressed all questioned cards. I’ve got two more slots as well.

4 Scrying Sheets
    1 Ancient Den
    17 Snow-Covered Plains

4 Sensei’s Divining Top
    2 Isochron Scepter
    2 Helm of Obedience

1 Ethersworn Canonist

2 Rest in Peace
    3 Oblivion Ring
    2 Runed Halo
    1 Sacred Mesa
    1 Humility

4 Orim’s Chant
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Abeyance
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    3 Wrath of God
    +1 RiP
    +1 Batterskull

Or

+2 Ensnaring Bridge

Would be my vote. You do not lose anything by running a one of batterskull because you are not running moat. It is still tutorable with E.tutor and naturally drawing is nice as well.

Ensnaring bridge is really good in legacy right now because of cards like Emrikul and Griselbrand. It also does a lot of work against tribal decks like goblins, merfolk and elves.

As much as I love the card and it hurts me to say this I would also go -1 sacred Mesa and add +1 Elspeth, Knight-errand. She is amazing. Makes guys. She jumps your guys and has to be dealt with.

Just my $0.02

I play a more stock control list without creatures. My list is a few posts up maybe minus a few changes.

Hi,

I'm probably going to go to SCG LA this weekend. The 2 headed giant sealed side event looks a lot more fun than playing Quinn at a major event...but I'm still considering trying my luck. Anyone else bringing Quinn?

Edit: I went 1-1 tonight. I beat Nic Fit 2-0 and lost a close 3rd game to esperblade. My round 3 opponent was 0-2 and scooped.

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

I live in Phoenix so all of my big events are in la but I won't be able to make the 5k although I am looking forward to the go here in April and I will be rocking it for the side events.

Quote Originally Posted by WarpWorld View Post
    +1 RiP
    +1 Batterskull

Or

+2 Ensnaring Bridge

Would be my vote. You do not lose anything by running a one of batterskull because you are not running moat. It is still tutorable with E.tutor and naturally drawing is nice as well.

Ensnaring bridge is really good in legacy right now because of cards like Emrikul and Griselbrand. It also does a lot of work against tribal decks like goblins, merfolk and elves.

As much as I love the card and it hurts me to say this I would also go -1 sacred Mesa and add +1 Elspeth, Knight-errand. She is amazing. Makes guys. She jumps your guys and has to be dealt with.

Just my $0.02

I play a more stock control list without creatures. My list is a few posts up maybe minus a few changes.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll try out bridges and Elspeth for now. Right now I honestly want a list I can test with and get to know, then change cards when I become more experienced with the deck.

@Kinda: I might be heading down to SCG LA, as I live near it. I'll be playing Affinity if I go though.
    Currently playing:

Affinity

Hey!

So I went 3-1 at the SCG open trial on Saturday...and started 3-1 on Sunday before scrubbing out. Partly due to good play by opponents, partly due to me not eating anything except a hot fudge sunday until after the open, and partly due to belcher.

I got a lot of compliments/interest in the deck which was cool. I am no longer happy with SotL or Mikokoro and may remove entreat, but otherwise happy with the deck. I'm very open to suggestions on those spots, as well as the rest of the deck. I'm seriously considering maindeck leyline's...I played 4 storm decks this weekend and they help vs. black midrange/control too. They are dead in a few matchups but so are the board control elements...oh well, right? The 2 chant's and abeyance in the board should be leyline's...but they are really good vs. miracles so I was happy to have them at the open trial.

17x snow plains
    4x scrying sheets
    2x mikokoro, center of the sea

4 top
    3 e tutor

4 swords
    3 oblivion ring
    2 ensnaring bridge
    1 humility
    1 runed halo

4 rest in peace
    4 helm of obedience

3 stoneforge mystic
    3 spirit of the labyrinth
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 batterskull
    1 sword of fire and ice
    1 elspeth, knight errant
    1 entreat the angels

SB:
    3 terminus
    2 orim's chant
    2 pithing needle
    2 ray of distortion
    1 leyline of sanctity
    1 abeyance
    1 oblivion ring
    1 humility
    1 rule of law
    1 porphyry nodes

Open Trial 3/22/14: 3-1

Round 1: Bant TNN: 2-0
    Nothing too crazy here.

Round 2: UW Miracles 2-1
    These were close games as miracles usually is. Jace and counterbalance are problem.

Round 3: Tinfins 1-2
    G1 i mull and get crushed. G3 I get pithing needle on grisel, ethersworn canonist, and rest in peace out. He plays serenity t4 on the play and blows me out while i have a land and helm in hand. I am able to swords griselbrand though twice and end up losing to children of korlis beats plus massacre into a shallow grave'd korlis for the last point...yup.

Round 4: UW Miracles: 2-0
    He should have won game 1 but misplayed.

Open 3/23/14: 3-4 and drop.

Round 1: Merfolk: 2-1
    So...stoneforge is really good here. Solid matchup. G2 he won quickly with protection.

Round 2: ANT: 0-2
    G1 I have canonist in my opener and he probes/therapy's it on the draw. G2 I mull, he plays duress and I lose quickly.

Round 3: Death and Taxes: 2-1
    G1 I resolve a humility. G2 I gets stuck on 2 lands after he wastes my sheets. I lose to karakas combo post terminus. G3 I manage to win post cataclysm. I keep RIP, bridge, and a plains. I responded by drawing with top. He has land revoker gusari seal of cleansing.

Round 4: ANT 2-1
    G1 I get a t2 canonist and that card just wins preboard. G2 dread of night hurts and he combos off. G3 I have enough protection to win eventually. I did get my 1 leyline in my opener which was lucky. Good guy to talk to. He liked the deck. Said people were talking about it after the open trial the day before.

Round 5: RW Painter 1-2
    G1 he mulls to 5 and wins turn 2 on the play. Turn 1 he goes ancient tomb, pitch monkey, grindstone, painter pass. I dont have swords. G2 sword of fire and ice gets there. G3 I mull, get stuck on 2 lands for a while and lose. He revokers top.

Round 6: UW Miracles 1-2
    At this point the effects of only eating icecream all day were catching up to me...I played poorly. G3 I mull an awful hand and keep 6 lands on the draw as there are only 3 minutes left in the round and drawing at 3-2 is pointless. I end up doing nothing and lose to clique and a hardcast entreat on turn 5 of extra turns.

Round 7: Belcher 0-2
    I get belched turn 2 game 1. G2 I open with needle on belcher. He draws and pitches belcher, then makes 12 goblins turn 2. He swings turn 3 and wish'd for some spell that deals damage equal to the number of goblins he has.

I then dropped and went to get food.

I'm open to critique and advice!
    Last edited by kinda; 03-25-2014 at 01:34 AM.

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

@kinda congrats on the trial. Glad you at least gave it a try in the open. Sorry you didn't do better but live and learn.
    Maybe moving a Pithing needle to the MB over one of your SotL and LoS for the rest of your open spots. Needles are almost never dead. Did you have enough shuffle effects that you didn't get top locked. I might suggest fetchs over Mikokoro to add shuffles. They have tested very well for me.

I have considered moving LofS to the MB I think maybe as a 3 of and keep 1 on the SB that would help open up space to help with other matchups. I have found storm to always be a rough game one and a grindy game 2&3 which boils out to if we can lock them out. The other big problem I have is with discard heavy decks. Having it main would improve those matchups.

Hi,

Yeah I think 3 mb LofS sounds right...I will try that. I have had needle in the main...before with mixed results. I will be taking out the two mikokoro...one I think I want as ancient den. The other may become a fetch.

After a break from legacy for a bit I played again last night. 8 people, won the first 2 rounds and then intentionally drew. Anyone else play Quinn lately?

Round 1: Esperblade: 2-1
    I lost game 2 due to 2 jace's.

Round 2: Metalworker Mud 2-0
    Bridge got there game 1 and o-ring did work game 2.

Round 3: Merfolk 1-1-1
    We played out 1 game for fun and I won then split. Stoneforge and bridge are amazing here.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

Hi kinda. I use to play this deck a few years ago but I'm way out of the loop. I've been thinking about rebuilding it. Can you give me a quick run down on how Quinn works in 2014, maybe talk about your sideboard a little bit? Thanks.

Sure, I put my current version below. Decks running a bunch of planeswalkers (3 or more) and storm continue to be rough, but most other decks are at worst 50/50 matchups. My sb has been changing regularly as I try to deal with these problems. The difficulty is that cards like ethersworn canonist and spirit need to come out of the md when they are not silver bullets...so even in matchups like tribal and delver I still want some cards to sb in.

Some matchups like tribal and dredge are very positive. Stoneforge Mystic and ensnaring bridge continue to be huge for me. I know a lot of people do not play them, but I strongly encourage them. I have had success with mana tithe in the main deck, mostly due to people not expecting it. I will be testing more leyline of sanctity's in the maindeck once I find them.

As far as playing the deck goes, it is really just to overwhelm with quality game changing permanents. Without chants the deck top decks very well even when you do not have a top. Abrupt decay is common so it is important to overwhelm with relevant permanents. Rest in peace/helm is a lot better than the old painter combo. RIP is a great md answer to dredge/reanimator/lands and stop common cards like goyf, deathrite shaman, past in flames etc. Helm is relevant too by itself, especially when you have equipment in play or are against show and tell.

Let me know if you have any more questions or advice!

My current build:

18x snow plains
    4x scrying sheets
    1x desert

4 top
    3 e tutor

Protection: 14
    4 swords
    3 oblivion ring
    2 ensnaring bridge
    1 leyline of sanctity
    1 humility
    1 runed halo
    1 pithing needle
    1 porphyry nodes

Combo: 8
    4 rest in peace
    4 helm of obedience

Creature Package: 8
    3 stoneforge mystic
    1 spirit of the labyrinth
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 batterskull
    1 sword of fire and ice
    1 elspeth, knight errant

SB:
    3 terminus
    3 mindbreak trap
    2 orim's chant
    2 ray of distortion
    1 pithing needle
    1 abeyance
    1 oblivion ring
    1 humility
    1 rule of law

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    Hi kinda. I use to play this deck a few years ago but I'm way out of the loop. I've been thinking about rebuilding it. Can you give me a quick run down on how Quinn works in 2014, maybe talk about your sideboard a little bit? Thanks.
    This is the last list I was testing but have not been able to play much in the last few weeks. It a more traditional build with a few odd choices here and there.

Land (23)
    15 Snow-covered Plains
    1 Snow-covered Mountain
    3 Scrying Sheets
    3 Arid Mesa
    1 Kor Haven

Instant (13)
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Enlightened Tutors
    3 Orim's Chant
    2 Abeyance
    1 Lightning Helix

Sorcery (3)
    3 Terminus

Artifact (10)
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Isochron Scepter
    2 Helm of Obedience
    2 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Pithing Needle

Enchantment (10)
    3 Rest in Peace
    2 Oblivion Ring
    2 Humility
    2 Runed Halo
    1 Story Circle

Plainswalker (1)
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Sideboard (15)
    3 Leyline of Sanctity
    3 Ethersworn Cannonist
    2 Ray of Distortion
    1 Ensnaring Bridge
    1 Wrath of God
    1 Elixir of Immortality
    1 Wheel of Sun and Moon
    1 Aegis of Honor
    1 Blind Obedience
    1 Nevinyrral's Disk

My meta doesn't have a lot of abrupt decay so I have stuck to the scepter-chant plan but will happily move away from it if abrupt decay becomes more popular around here. One thing I have found is that 3 W/x fetches to be really good in the deck as they provide you much needed shuffle effects which kinda gets aroun with sfm. I do think batterskull has a place in deck an will be part of my next round of changes and testing. I will post a more updated list after I get some testing in (which should be soon).

I give props to kinda for having success with the deck while taking this deck into a new direction and maybe how it should look (or at least something close to it) going into the future. He has sped up a slow decks clock by adding utility creatures and equipment. I on the other hand like to play slow grindy games and make my opponents suffer while I lock them completely out of the game. I will be testing kindas list as well to see how it goes as well.

It's an ugly pile of bones... like me.
    Sep 2004
    Albany

What is the plan against miracles?

Quote Originally Posted by clavio View Post
    What is the plan against miracles?
    The matchup is not positive if your opponent knows what he is doing...but it is definitely winnable. Jace and counterbalance are problems and need to be dealt with immediately or preemptively with a needle on jace. You bait counters and combo to win.

Right now I board in:

2 orim's chant
    2 ray of distortion
    1 pithing needle
    1 abeyance
    1 oblivion ring

Thread Information