Page 62 of 76 FirstFirst ... 125258596061626364656672 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 1514

Thread: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

Re: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn

Hey guys, just jumped into Legacy after numerous years away from competitive play. Decided to build Quinn to get back into the fun, and I've loved the deck so far. I've run this build a few times, and my success rate seems to be going up each time I run it (2-1 last time out, beat Mud and Stoneblade, lost to Reanimator). Of course I'm always looking to sharpen it to an even finer point so I decided to see what advice you could offer on the build. My Meta has a lot of BUG, Omni-Show (my favorite matchup), reanimator, and a bit of Mud and 12-post, and an occasional goblins/combo elves. Reanimator tends to be tough because people quickly learn to go get Iona as quickly as possible and throw her into play, which pretty much says "game over" if they pull it off. I avoid planeswalker issues by not letting them get one on the board to begin with, but once they do, I have to hope my Luminarch or Elspeth is already online or I'm in trouble. Storm is mostly about guessing what storm spell they're going to play to finish the job and throwing down a silence one spell before the end of their pre-storm chain if you can. If they have more counters than you have silences/chants, not much you can do though.

Here's the list I'm running now:

4x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Wrath of God
    2x Porphyry Nodes

4x Orim's Chant
    4x Silence

3x Rest in Peace
    2x Elspeth Knight-Errant
    3x isochron scepter
    1x Luminarch's Ascension
    1x Helm of Obedience

4x Enlightened Tutor
    3x Sensei's Divining Top

1x Story Circle
    2x Oblivion Ring

15x Snow-Covered Plains
    3x Scrying Sheets
    4x Windswept Heath (ok so running evolving wilds now when proxies aren't allowed, but swapping them out for heaths once I get them for shuffle effects/thinning)

Sideboard:
    4x Leyline of Sanctity (Vs Burn or excessive thoughtsiezes)
    3x Faith's Shield (If they're running Abrupt Decay, also occasionally hoses mono-colored aggro on a scepter with a bit of luck)
    2x Phyrexian Revoker (for blade/deathrite/etc...)
    2x Abeyance (vs countermagic/combo and to protect my scepter or helm combo)
    1x Wrath of God (for any swarmy deck type)
    1x Story Circle (sometimes Board out an RIP for this if there's no graveyard interactions)
    2x Oblivion Ring (I run 4x as a rule vs Omni-Show)

It runs pretty well, but I'd welcome any advice on cards that might improve the performance. I don't tend to get blown out with it, but sometimes it takes a long time to win, giving opponents a chance to go find something to answer the scepter-lock or blow up the luminarch in time.

Oct 2011
    Portugal

Quote Originally Posted by Notion Thief View Post
    4x Swords to Plowshares
    3x Wrath of God
    2x Porphyry Nodes

4x Orim's Chant
    4x Silence

3x Rest in Peace
    2x Elspeth Knight-Errant
    3x isochron scepter
    1x Luminarch's Ascension
    1x Helm of Obedience

4x Enlightened Tutor
    3x Sensei's Divining Top

1x Story Circle
    2x Oblivion Ring

15x Snow-Covered Plains
    3x Scrying Sheets
    4x Windswept Heath (ok so running evolving wilds now when proxies aren't allowed, but swapping them out for heaths once I get them for shuffle effects/thinning)

Sideboard:
    4x Leyline of Sanctity (Vs Burn or excessive thoughtsiezes)
    3x Faith's Shield (If they're running Abrupt Decay, also occasionally hoses mono-colored aggro on a scepter with a bit of luck)
    2x Phyrexian Revoker (for blade/deathrite/etc...)
    2x Abeyance (vs countermagic/combo and to protect my scepter or helm combo)
    1x Wrath of God (for any swarmy deck type)
    1x Story Circle (sometimes Board out an RIP for this if there's no graveyard interactions)
    2x Oblivion Ring (I run 4x as a rule vs Omni-Show)
    If you have trouble against reanimator, play 4 Rest in peaces. +1 Rip - 1 Scepter
    Otherwise, your list is fine, i run something that looks the same.

Quote Originally Posted by Kring View Post
    If you have trouble against reanimator, play 4 Rest in peaces. +1 Rip - 1 Scepter
    Otherwise, your list is fine, i run something that looks the same.
    Thanks, I guess I might just be somewhat unlucky vs reanimator, I've had turn 1 Iona dropped on me and it's left me a touch gunshy vs that deck since I really have no answer for that, but I guess most decks probably don't and I should just chalk it up to the guy having a great starting hand. Are there any other matchups you find especially challenging with this deck? My meta tends to evolve rapidly, so it'd be great to know what to keep an eye out for. Do you run a single helm or two in case one gets Abrupt Decayed or Force of Willed? I've also seen some people on here suggest Argivian Find to give you "extra" copies of some of the important bits. Is it worth the slot for the extra protection of combos?

Dec 2010
    GermOney

Thanks, I guess I might just be somewhat unlucky vs reanimator, I've had turn 1 Iona dropped on me and it's left me a touch gunshy vs that deck since I really have no answer for that, but I guess most decks probably don't and I should just chalk it up to the guy having a great starting hand. Are there any other matchups you find especially challenging with this deck? My meta tends to evolve rapidly, so it'd be great to know what to keep an eye out for. Do you run a single helm or two in case one gets Abrupt Decayed or Force of Willed? I've also seen some people on here suggest Argivian Find to give you "extra" copies of some of the important bits. Is it worth the slot for the extra protection of combos?
    One of the best characteristics of Helm is, that it cannot get Decayed

Oct 2011
    Portugal

Re: [Deck] Quinn The Eskimo- Aka, The Mighty Quinn (Snow Parfait)

I play 4 rips and 4 helms. Hoses reanimator dredge hard, and makes quinn chant version play like painter, a combo deck that can play other roles when needed! The etutors will only add to the consistency!
    I dont support argican find at all with 4 rips.
    My current less than balanced matches are the planeswalker ones, which I am running several proactive answers in the sideboard: decree of justice (I seriously forgot that cycling is uncounterable and instant speed - do you need any better way to kill that jace, turn the game around and not get counter topped?) and heliod because I need sometimes some single card Win condition, and I'm testing that atm. The rest of my list is pretty stock!

Sent from my RM-914_eu_portugal_281 using Tapatalk

Oct 2011
    Portugal

About protection spells, ive never really tested them, i think its because of their narrow nature.

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

I have lost to Iona on white so I run a one of Nevinyrral's Disk on the board as a tutorable colorless sweeper to deal with her. It has other uses against like Affinity where it is a blow out if you get to it.

Oct 2011
    Portugal

4 Scrying Sheets
    19 Snow-Covered Plains
    3 Silence
    4 Rest in Peace
    4 Enlightened Tutor
    4 Helm of Obedience
    1 Humility
    2 Isochron Scepter
    3 Oblivion Ring
    3 Wrath of God
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    4 Sensei's Divining Top
    4 Orim's Chant
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

SB
    2 Abeyance
    1 Pithing needle
    1 Ethersworn cannonist
    1 Spirit of the labyrinth
    2 Path to exile
    1 Ray of distortion
    1 Luminarch Ascension
    1 Ghostly Prison
    1 Nevermore
    1 Decree of justice
    1 Circle of protection: Red
    1 Unexpectedly Absent
    1 Ratchet Bomb

Im posting my list for reference, and to ask for sideboard guidance, because im always undecided about that. While i like the stoneforge mystic list, i am at the moment focusing on the chant list. Abrupt decay is present. While that can be a problem, i found that orims chant acts as a RIP helm protector, chanting first, casting rip and activating helm is SO GOOD. Despite having a decay metagame i am 50/50 against everyone!

A short, sturdy creature fond of drink and industry.
    Nov 2011
    BEST JERSEY

If you're getting boned by Abrupt Decay often, try Karmic Justice
    Quote Originally Posted by GreatWhale View Post
    Gross, other formats. I puked in my mouth a little.

Looks like I am going to Vegas tomorrow...anyone else bringing Quinn?

Oct 2011
    Portugal

I live in portugal, so no :( Best of luck and bring us those good reports!!!

Well...I went 3-4 drop again. It saddens me to say that I have bought show and tells and will be using these now instead. I have been wanting to play with them for a while though. At SCG Vegas I cut a swords from the main and played 3 main deck leyline of sanctity which I really liked. I still managed to lose a round to burn though.

Won:
    2x Jund
    1x Bug Delver

Lost:
    1x Patriot Delver (this was my first match and I was exhausted from vegas fun until 3 the night...er morning before...i played very badly)
    1x Burn
    1x MUD
    1x Bug Delver

Quote Originally Posted by Kring View Post

SB
    2 Abeyance
    1 Pithing needle
    1 Ethersworn cannonist
    1 Spirit of the labyrinth
    2 Path to exile
    1 Ray of distortion
    1 Luminarch Ascension
    1 Ghostly Prison
    1 Nevermore
    1 Decree of justice
    1 Circle of protection: Red
    1 Unexpectedly Absent
    1 Ratchet Bomb

Im posting my list for reference, and to ask for sideboard guidance, because im always undecided about that. While i like the stoneforge mystic list, i am at the moment focusing on the chant list. Abrupt decay is present. While that can be a problem, i found that orims chant acts as a RIP helm protector, chanting first, casting rip and activating helm is SO GOOD. Despite having a decay metagame i am 50/50 against everyone!

Figuring out the board is the biggest challenge for me with this deck. In a deck full of answers, what answers do you add? Your board looks pretty solid, I run Decree and Nevermore in mine too. I use Story Circle over COP:Red, but that's just because it's slightly more versatile, if you're strictly worried about burn COP works fine. I'm a big fan of having one Leyline of Sanctity main board and keeping 2 or 3 in the sideboard. It stops burn, ANT, and just pesky discard in BUG delver decks and Pox. Pretty versatile and free if you luck into it opening hand (And against ANT I'll sometimes mull down one just try to find one if I don't get it since it can go off so quickly). I used to run Luminarch's ascension but in generally if I can fire off 4 straight turns without taking damage it means I've probably got enough of a lock going to finish with RIP/Helm or flood the field with sacred mesa tokens. I prefer Rule of Law to Ethersworn Canonist since there's less enchantment hate than creature/artifact hate, but I guess it's a personal preference choice there. I don't tend to get much mileage out of Abeyance and it has been cut in favor of other cards at this point in my build. Another card you may want to add is Runed Halo. Unlike nevermore, you can main-board one of them, and they let you shut down combo, annoying creatures like TNN or Griselbrand, or just an irritating creature you can't seem to draw a swords for.

One card I've been wanting to get feedback on is Thran Turbine. I've recently been test driving it and it's great for powering e.tutor on a scepter, decree of justice cycling, top, sheets, sacred mesa (my primary win-con) in my current build once the deck gets going. It's great to not have to worry about tapping out on your opponents turn for a swords and still being able to top next turn for "free" and then scrying sheets for W if you want. Same with Sacred Mesa making 2 tokens every upkeep for just 2 mana. I'm not sure if it's a necesasary component for the deck, but since the deck doesn't do much turn 1 anyway, i feel like it does get the deck up to speed faster. If anyone else can give it a try and let me know what their experiences are with it, that'd be great!

I haven't played Quinn in a very long time...but dusted it off tonight and went 3-0 (6-1 in games) at my local. Does anyone think anything printed in the last 7 months or so would be good? I haven't been following the new cards. I feel like abrupt decay is less prevalent...I might try scepter again.

Matches:

2-0 URB tnn/young pyromancer/probe/cabal therapy/fow

2-0 UR Burn

2-1 UWr stoneblade

18x snow plains
    4x scrying sheets
    1x desert

4 top
    3 e tutor

Protection: 14
    4 swords
    4 oblivion ring
    2 ensnaring bridge
    1 leyline of sanctity
    1 humility
    1 runed halo
    2 pithing needle

Combo: 8
    4 rest in peace
    4 helm of obedience

Creature Package: 7
    3 stoneforge mystic
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 batterskull
    1 sword of fire and ice
    1 elspeth, knight errant

SB:
    3 terminus
    4 mindbreak trap
    2 orim's chant
    2 ray of distortion
    1 pithing needle
    1 humility
    1 porphyry nodes
    1 spirit of the labyrinth

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    I haven't played Quinn in a very long time...but dusted it off tonight and went 3-0 (6-1 in games) at my local. Does anyone think anything printed in the last 7 months or so would be good? I haven't been following the new cards. I feel like abrupt decay is less prevalent...I might try scepter again.

Matches:

2-0 URB tnn/young pyromancer/probe/cabal therapy/fow

2-0 UR Burn

2-1 UWr stoneblade

18x snow plains
    4x scrying sheets
    1x desert

4 top
    3 e tutor

Protection: 14
    4 swords
    4 oblivion ring
    2 ensnaring bridge
    1 leyline of sanctity
    1 humility
    1 runed halo
    2 pithing needle

Combo: 8
    4 rest in peace
    4 helm of obedience

Creature Package: 7
    3 stoneforge mystic
    1 ethersworn canonist
    1 batterskull
    1 sword of fire and ice
    1 elspeth, knight errant

SB:
    3 terminus
    4 mindbreak trap
    2 orim's chant
    2 ray of distortion
    1 pithing needle
    1 humility
    1 porphyry nodes
    1 spirit of the labyrinth
    Sadly we haven't gotten much help lately. Council's Judgment is probably the best thing we have seen as it helps with problem permanents like Counterbalance, tnn and jace. Unexpectedly Absent is a neat Isochron Scepter target. It can virtual time walk some one by keeping the same card on top. It is also a nice response to and opponent cracking a fetch. The only other stand out is Containment Priest but I haven't had a chance to test a whole lot lately.

Best tutor target vs omnishow.... Trinisphere ?
    Any ideas for a silver bullet vs MUD?

Keep Calm and Brainstorm
    Apr 2009
    GTA, Ontario

Humility is always great against MUD. It's not affected by Chalice/3sphere and nullifies their win condition. I would also go with Aura of Silence to slow them down.

Against OmniTell, hope you can resolve ScepterChant though they can still Wipe Away the Scepter. Trinisphere and Ethersworn Canonist could be key but the issue is resolving and protecting these as a lot of your cards doesn't hurt OmniTell. You can't pressure their permission.
    I am convinced that WotC is "dumbing" the game because of all the stupid posts they come across on MTG-related forums
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    13NoVa plays Force of Will from his hand.
    Finglonger plays Spell Pierce from his hand.
    [10:22:43]  13NoVa: lol
    sure
    Finglonger points from his Dack Fayden to 13NoVa's Sol Ring.
    [10:23:04]  13NoVa: lol dumb ******; nice draws with retard.dec
    stupid cocksucker
    You have been kicked out of the game.

The myth realized plus humility interaction...works out well for myth, right? I think it needs a look. #Quinning

Magic Player

Jul 2011
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by kinda View Post
    The myth realized plus humility interaction...works out well for myth, right? I think it needs a look. #Quinning
    Yes it does. It works the same way man lands do under humility. Life has been kind enough to afford me some free time for testing and it has been awesome so far. It can get out of hand if they don't have a good answer. It gives the deck a reasonable clock. It is not very good with ensnaring bridge but it plays really well with the rest of the list. It is probably the best card we have seen in a long time.

My list for reference. My Sideboard is a work in progress.
    Land (23)
    15 Snow-covered Plains
    1 Snow-covered Mountain
    3 Scrying Sheets
    3 Arid Mesa
    1 Kor Haven

Instant (15)
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    3 Enlightened Tutors
    3 Orim's Chant
    2 Abeyance
    2 Unexpectedly Absent
    1 Lightning Helix

Sorcery (5)
    3 Terminus
    2 Council's Judgment

Artifact (8)
    3 Sensei's Divining Top
    2 Isochron Scepter
    2 Helm of Obedience
    1 Pithing Needle

Enchantment (8)
    3 Rest in Peace
    3 Myth Realized
    2 Humility

Plainswalker (1)
    1 Elspeth, Knight-Errant

Edit: I am totally on the Myth Rerealized plan. I have gone up to 3 in the main and dropped the Ensnaring Bridge as it was almost always a dead card with an active Myth Realized. Also the ability to add counters has been very real thing. I might even try and find room for a 4th. Updated the list above to show the changes.

As always comments and suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by WarpWorld; 04-25-2015 at 05:19 PM.

The new orbs of warding card combos with humility...hm...

Thread Information