Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: [Article] Unlocking Legacy - Where do we go from here?

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Re: [Article] Unlocking Legacy - Where do we go from here?

I play Goblins when I play and if I can't get my hands on Enchantress. The deck is still pretty nuts, if you're not running absolute jank like MD CotV.

There's probably some connection between running bad cards and losing to Threshold with Goblins. Just maybe.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Right and let's look to the sideboard games. Not only would Tormod's Crypt instead of Grunt not helped win any extra games, but running Crypt instead of Grunt would have lost games. Chalice vs Tinkerer was not an issue in the post-sb games.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    Right and let's look to the sideboard games. Not only would Tormod's Crypt instead of Grunt not helped win any extra games, but running Crypt instead of Grunt would have lost games. Chalice vs Tinkerer was not an issue in the post-sb games.
    Anusien, your reasoning here is flawed. If you didn't run Grunt, you would still have Goblins in your deck because Tormod's Crypt isn't effective and thus isn't boarded in. By sideboarding in non-Goblins cards you are weakening your internal synergies. If Crypt isn't effective, have you tried adding something like Ib Halfheart. The card is already played in some lists as an answer to Threshold that still happens to be extremely effective against Tarmogoyf (usually in combination with other cards.

I suppose the underlying question is why did you disregard known synergistic technology for Jotun Grunt?
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien
    But even if you accept that, I cannot understand the desire to play U/G/W Threshold at the most recent StarCityGames.com Duel for Duals, for example. It is almost certain that Goblins players are going to outnumber combo players, especially at the top tables.
    Quote Originally Posted by Historical Top 8 Thread
    StarCityGames Duel for Duals IV
    Roanoke, Virginia
    Ocbtober 7, 2006 Day 1
    All decklists

Top 8:
    1. Vial Goblins with white splash
    2. UGW Threshold
    3. UGW Threshold
    4. Solidarity
    5. BBS
    6. Deadguy Ale
    7. Vial Goblins with white splash
    8. UWBG Landstill
    You aren't sure why people were playing UGW Threshold? Maybe because it was winning. It put two into the Top4 at Duel for Duals that you are talking about.

I'm still confused whether you think Threshold can beat Goblins? You seemed to have stated over and over that it can't really beat Goblins. Are you saying that Tarmogoyf makes it so that Threshold can beat Goblins? At least better late than never.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Quote Originally Posted by Anusien View Post
    I'm not convinced Hooligan is optimal. I was using Tinkerers there; they are better in some matchups and worse in others. Regardless the slots and sideboarding I was playing with replaced that slot, so whether I run Tinkerer or Tin-Street is literally irrelevant.
    Plus, I'm pretty sure if you play the deck at all, you want White in the Sideboard.
    Perhaps you'd like to enlighten us with specific examples in matchups where Tinkerer is the better choice. The mirror match? Stompy with Jitte?? What about against decks not playing artifacts?

Id really like to hear a debate amoungst you and Machinus over the color splash. What reasons do you run white exactly? Disenchant is irrelavant weaponery compared with Krosan Grip. Armageddon doesnt have a place in our modern metagame unless powered out early and supported (geddon stax).

Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    ???

I've been playing 3 hooligans for months.
    I forgot you include the green splash now. I remember it taking you some time to make the change since you also seemed determined to run Tinkerer.

The Modern Goblins Primer you wrote is a mono red list. Will you be making an adjustment to this series on Goblins?
    Now playing real formats.

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by Bane of the Living View Post
    I forgot you include the green splash now. I remember it taking you some time to make the change since you also seemed determined to run Tinkerer.

The Modern Goblins Primer you wrote is a mono red list. Will you be making an adjustment to this series on Goblins?
    I played monored last year, but in early 2007 I decided I needed grips in the SB, and I started playing hooligans MD. I still think Tinkerer is a great card, but everyone learned to kill it immediately so I stopped using them.

The primer I wrote was not for a monored deck. It was a general shell that could include any splash, or none at all. The list I provided later could have easily been made from those two articles. I even mentiond in them how I wanted to cut Mogg Fanatic and potentially one of the colorless lands. I tried to write a transparent and comprehensive primer on the deck and I think I did that.

Chalice is weak in the goblins vs threshold matchup unless you get it to stick turn 2. Playing with Bardo to convince me of that. It's so pathetic afterwards that I honestly would not even side it in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bardo View Post
    Matt, basically everything you said turned out to be true.
    TeamReflection || noitcelfeRmaeT

My MOTL sale list

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

So bring in Ib Halfheart or Goblin Goon. Christ.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

I have a possible format breaker, but sadly I don't know the contact info for the legacy players here in Virginia to discuss such a breakthrough. So if the Hatfields, Anwar, all you kiddies see this send me a message.
    Shaheen Soorani

9th at Worlds 2006

Clay Aiken
    Jun 2005
    Mooshie's Grove

Quote Originally Posted by ShaheenSoorani View Post
    I have a possible format breaker, but sadly I don't know the contact info for the legacy players here in Virginia to discuss such a breakthrough. So if the Hatfields, Anwar, all you kiddies see this send me a message.
    Oh, it's real easy! You click on that person's name and send them a Private Message about your deck. They'll read that message, click Reply and discuss it further with you. The Internet is awesome! Also, if you really think you have a contender, you might want to make a new thread and get feedback from the many people who read this message board! Good luck!
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

Thread Information