Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Discussion] Legacy: Past, Present and Future.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Re: [Discussion] Legacy: Past, Present and Future.

If anyone read what I said, I specifically mentioned the where. That is completely irrelevant information. The price of cards, otoh, does have an impact. However, I do not believe that this thread was intended on a discussion based around the price of cards. Although you're free to discuss them, I'd appreciate it if you guys could stop going around in circles and address what was actually asked in the initial post. Thanks.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    If anyone read what I said, I specifically mentioned the where. That is completely irrelevant information. The price of cards, otoh, does have an impact. However, I do not believe that this thread was intended on a discussion based around the price of cards. Although you're free to discuss them, I'd appreciate it if you guys could stop going around in circles and address what was actually asked in the initial post. Thanks.
    What do you believe the future of Legacy is?
    I think that price of cards is very relevant to the discussion. The long-term health of the local stores that support the majority of Legacy tournaments is also very relevant.

Now, that may not be what Bryan intended, but his question was very vague, so I don't think the discussion should be stifled for that reason.

This may be arbitrary and subjective, but in my mind, Legacy should be the format where Survival of the Fittest is playable.
    It's so odd that I agree with this. Not in any highly technical, analytical sense, but it's a pretty reasonable bar for what Legacy should be. If you've reached the point where no Survival build is even tier 2, then the format's probably gotten ahead of itself.

I'm not saying we're there now, but I think, odd as it seems, that's a pretty good test of the format.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

That's a completely arbitrary deck to choose, but I agree 100%. The interesting thing is, aside from Belcher (the card) and Tendrils (the card), Survival is a completely legitimate deck. Green has at least two sufficient answers to EtW in Sandstorm and EE, so it's really the old combo win conditions that invalidate it.

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by mikekelley View Post
    To most people, I'd venture to say like 95% of people, price is the deciding factor of this game. They aren't going to want to spend over $100 on this hobby at one point. The other 5% of us are those that are borderline obsessed, or are obsessed. I remember when I first played, I couldn't imagine spending more than 20 bucks on singles at once, granted this was before the advent of the crazy amount of internet singles stores running around, but I think the concept holds true for most people.

The price is definatley a lot to swallow for people.
    You can't play any format for $100, that's absurd. Legacy doesn't cost more than Standard.

This is not a free game anyway! WotC is a business.

Aug 2006
    Omaha

Sure you can...sealed, limited, block, mono colored decks in all formats can be pretty cheap sans vintage, and you can play casual. I was also trying to say that they didn't want to spend $100 on one purchase, such as a playset of some supercard.

Magic can be played for super cheap...how do you think kids in middle school are doing it? They certainly aren't imagining scooping up a set of duals or anything.

Plus, I don't think WOTC is riding the profits from 1.5 to the bank.

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    With more and more combo coming into the format there will be a surge of control decks
    That's still thinking in the old mindset.

Before, all a control deck had to do was counter the critical combo piece and you can take all the time in the world to win. Before, a deck with a decent amount of countermagic has extremely good odds against a combo deck. But storm makes it so that you can't just counter the key combo piece. The stuff that you can counter (draw, acceleration), the combo decks run lots and lots of. Storm decks can even ignore counters altogether with Xantid Swarm. And they can bounce back hate cards pretty easily too.

The best any deck can do is slow down storm combo and win before it can combo out. A deck can't take too long a time to win like control typically does will not have a big advantage over combo decks like they did in the old days.

MaRo was right in saying the storm was the most broken mechanic they ever printed, and a probably the biggest mistake they made in recent memory.

The biggest foil to combo decks aren't control decks but aggro control decks that combine a fast clock cards that slow combo down. And with the exception of bwg thres, many aggro control decks still have a disadvantgae versus storm based combo.
    Last edited by SuckerPunch; 07-21-2007 at 05:39 AM.

Thread Information