Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: [Spoiled] Lorwyn Cards

Mar 2007
    Germany, Germering, Munich

Re: Lorwyn Cards

How can you argue about the speed of Evoke? It's basically an alternative cost and the wording is quite clear.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

This card does look pretty poorly templated. Does no one else think so?

Overstock on Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Men
    Nov 2006
    Copenhagen, Denmark

The wording is clearly wrong. The "if you do it's sacrificed" part isn't correct wording since a permanent can only be sacrificed by a player it should be "if you do, sacrifice it". Only a minor incident though, but it shows that they're not done with the wording and might change more of it (but I still doubt it'll be reworded to instant-speed).

Banned

Oct 2006
    NOVA

I hope this is real, there are so many possibilities that they can do with this mechanic. Seeing this preview makes me wonder what they would do with other colors (assuming that Evoke isn't just black). I would like to see a cheap blue 'cantrip' like creature, seems like it would be good for goyf in thresh. But I doubt that they would print something like that.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Doesn't seem confusing to me. The wording on Evoke states that you can play the spell for its Evoke cost. The spell is a creature, and can hence only be played when you could play a creature. It's not rocket surgery.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillA View Post
    It's not rocket surgery.
    I LOL'D

Jun 2007
    Scrubington

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillA View Post
    It's not rocket surgery.
    WOW!

At any rate, I think that this mechanic could be very nice in a few decks, obviously survival, but I think that in the other colors, this will be very good. Maybe in some sort of reanimator deck? If the cantrip creature is made and it's not ridiculously overcosted (I haven't seen many good cantrips in the newer sets...), it might be very good. Overall, I like this mechanic, as a whole and I'm interested to see what else is done with it.
    Team Battletoadz: Fuck the Meta-police?

If it's all in our heads, it's best that we don't loose them.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil View Post
    Mother of Runes is a woefully underplayed Tier 1 card.
    Quote Originally Posted by dude 666 View Post
    Power wouldn't lay in the hands of the few if the general population was more educated and actually voted. Why should the government care about you if you don't vote? (Partially why I hate the electoral college and 2-party system)

Overstock on Wacky Waving Inflatable Arm Flailing Tube Men
    Nov 2006
    Copenhagen, Denmark

I really hope this mechanic actually gets stuck to some cards. I remember seeing gravestorm and delve in the future sight spoiler thinking "These mechanics are busted" (or at least interesting) and then they printed like 3 cards with each ability (actually I think there's only a single gravestorm card).

Old Man Rogue
    Oct 2003
    Woosta, Mass.

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Moon FTW View Post
    I really hope this mechanic actually gets stuck to some cards. I remember seeing gravestorm and delve in the future sight spoiler thinking "These mechanics are busted" (or at least interesting) and then they printed like 3 cards with each ability (actually I think there's only a single gravestorm card).
    One of the main reasons to be happy that this mechanic starts in the large set of the block. Small set mechanics (especially 3rd set mechanics) tend to get screwed hard. Since there will be 4 sets next year broken into two mini-blocks it will be interesting to see how that works out in terms of mechanics.
    TL,DR: if you think Saito is ok, check your moral compass. It may be broken. - Spikey Mikey, amen brother

WE know what the price of progress is (often 8-10 life). - Cait Sith

A casual stasis deck? You must not really like your friends. Do you play it before or after you pull the wings off of flys and microwave the neighbor's cat? - EwokSlayer

I clench my fists and yell "anime" towards an uncaring, absent God
    Mar 2007
    59°50'59.11" N, 17°34'55.69" E

Quote Originally Posted by Pale Moon FTW View Post
    The wording is clearly wrong. The "if you do it's sacrificed" part isn't correct wording since a permanent can only be sacrificed by a player it should be "if you do, sacrifice it". Only a minor incident though, but it shows that they're not done with the wording and might change more of it (but I still doubt it'll be reworded to instant-speed).
    I noticed that too. It sounds like some Tempest-era wording. But the spoiled card is actually a scan, which is kind of weird.

As for the card, I've hardcast Street Wraiths in the past, I'll be happy to play this over Edicts.
    YOU'RE GIVING ME A TIME MACHINE IN ORDER TO TREAT MY SLEEP DISORDER.

Legacy Inept

Oct 2005
    France

I have a theory about the wording :
    - it's in the reminder text. The reminder text has never been as precise as rules themselves. I remember the convoke reminder text that did not precise that you could tap only your own creatures.
    - they may have enabled weak combos of exchanging the creature in response to the sacrifice (juxtapose played in instant speed for instance). Eventually, they had to say "its controller sacrifice it".

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Please. There has to be something better than that to bounce it with. I mean, really.
    NINJA-STRIKE!

Also combos nicely with Grave Scrabbler. Which further combos with Linessa. And those are Ninja colors. I smell synergy cooking.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Shriekmaw 4B
    Creature -- Elemental (U)
    Fear
    When Shriekmaw comes into play, destroy target nonartifact, nonblack creature.
    Evoke 1B (You may play this spell for its Evoke cost. If you do, it's sacrificed when it comes into play.)
    3/2
    I think I may already be shitting myself. He is infinitely better than Bone Shredder. Infinitely. Cheaper, can be recurred every turn with Genesis, can beat in a pinch. Man, he is hawt.

EDIT: Corrected my svg typos.
    Last edited by Di; 07-19-2007 at 12:41 AM.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

This guy kills Lackey on the play. What's not to like?

Magic Wasteland Nomad
    Dec 2004
    Taylors, SC

Quote Originally Posted by scrumdogg View Post
    One of the main reasons to be happy that this mechanic starts in the large set of the block. Small set mechanics (especially 3rd set mechanics) tend to get screwed hard.

Umm Storm in Scouge?
    Team Solo

Quote Originally Posted by Peter_Rotten
    |^^^^^^^^^^^\||____
    |.The STFU Truck..|||'""|""\__,_
    | __GTFO 4ever_w_ l||__|__|__|)
    |(@)@)"""""""**|(@)(@)**|(@)

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by SillyMetalGAT View Post
    Umm Storm in Scouge?
    His point still stands. There were, what two good cards from Scourge with Storm? And really, Brain Freeze really only fits in certain types of deck, so the only really solid spell with storm is Tendrils (well, and EtW, but that didn't happen till Time Spiral, where Storm was incidentally a first set mechanic :P).

I think I may already be shitting myself. He is infinately better than Bone Shredder. Infinately
    No, infinitely. Just sayin'.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

(' ' '\( 0 ,o)/''')
    May 2004
    Northern Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    His point still stands. There were, what two good cards from Scourge with Storm? And really, Brain Freeze really only fits in certain types of deck, so the only really solid spell with storm is Tendrils (well, and EtW, but that didn't happen till Time Spiral, where Storm was incidentally a first set mechanic :P).
    It's kind of a random point, since there's been very few third set mechanics at all, at least setting aside Future Sight, for obvious reasons, and Dissension because of the guild models. Storm had, out of 12 total cards with the mechanic;

Tendrils & Brain Freeze: Obvious.
    Hunting Pack: Was featured as a Wish target in both sides of a Worlds final.
    Dragonstorm: Dominated Standard for six months.
    Wing Shards: Dominated Block, Legacy playable, and was heavily influential in Standard before the rise of Raffinity.
    Mind's Desire: Heavily influential in Extended, busted in Vintage, has never been Legacy legal.
    Reaping the Graves: Has seen limited play and has a ton of potential in some deck.
    Astral Steel, Scattershot, Sprouting Vines and Temporal Fissure: You've got me. On the other hand, all of these were good to ridiculous in Limited.

2/3rds of the mechanic being tournament level, and at least one third being insanely good, is a much higher than normal ratio for any mechanic. Storm was just inherently busted, even outside of Two Headed Giant. (I note that it was also tied for the very first third set mechanic ever made, hence the randomness of this argument).

Scry and Channel aren't bad either, although the latter hasn't been tapped very far at all. But it's a cool mechanic that deserves more limelight than this Evoke thing. Certainly it deserved to be in TSP block more than effing Flanking.
    For my confessions, they burned me with fire/
    And found I was for endurance made

ReAnimated

Re: [Spoiled] Lorwyn Cards

You forgot Ignite Memories but it's all good.

Trapped inside my embryonic cell
    Dec 2006
    Stoughton, MA

Re: [Spoiled] Lorwyn Cards

He was only talking about cards with storm that appeared in Scourge.
    Quote Originally Posted by Greg 'IdrA' Fields
    good sir, you appear to be somewhat lacking in intelligence. please refrain from posting until this is remedied, since it renders your opinions slightly less than correct and has a tendency to irritate more informed forum-goers.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    Dragonstorm
    Mind's Desire
    Oops, I suppose I forgot about those because they weren't Legacy playable/legal. I guess Storm is really the most busted mechanic out there.

Scry and Channel aren't bad either, although the latter hasn't been tapped very far at all. But it's a cool mechanic that deserves more limelight than this Evoke thing.
    You actually have a good point there. What exactly makes Evoke not just a crappy version of Channel? I mean, Channel is more expandable, and it's instant speed...so yeah, Channel > Evoke. It's just too bad it came out in Kamigawa, where it sucked. Hard.

And Scry is just a fantastic mechanic. It's up there as one of my very favorites.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

Thread Information