Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Discussion] Top 10 staples of Legacy at this time.

Not a Member
    Jul 2006
    Germany

Re: [Discussion] Top 10 staples of Legacy at this time.

Quote Originally Posted by Illissius View Post
    Can't this question be answered empirically? Gather decklists from tournaments, and tally the totals, consolidating multiple cards (fetches, dual, Goblins) if you feel like it. Is there any workable definition of staples which doesn't boil down to "most popular cards"? (other than, of course, small metal contraptions used to secure sheets of paper together)
    This has been done by several sources. Ancient Memory Convention for example: http://f18.aaa.livedoor.jp/~nameless...MC_26th_E.html (scroll down)

If you take out all lands which are obviously needed to always play a tier 1 deck (so I think Nightmare posted the best list of staples) the list for this single tourney comes down to:

01:Swords to Plowshares
    02:Dark Confidant
    03:Duress
    04:Mogg Fanatic
    05:Tarmogoyf
    06:Pithing Needle
    07:Tormod's Crypt
    08:Umezawa's Jitte
    09:Chalice of the Void
    10:Chrome Mox

Alright what's missing:
    (11:Lightning Bolt)
    (12:Force of Will)

42 participants and only 4 Goblin decks as far as I can see, so Lackey & Piledriver are further down the list.

You all know that just one tournament is not representative but you'll see the similarities to the lists posted here.
    TS Crew

Re: [Discussion] Top 10 staples of Legacy at this time.

I was bored, so I compiled and tallied all the responses in this thread to get a sense of what the legacy community believes on average are the most important cards in the format. Listed below are only the cards which received multiple votes. 24 other cards had 1 vote each, so I didn't include those. A few explanations are necessary: every time someone mentioned multiple specific duals or fetches, I only added 1 to the respective category. Also, any time "goblins" were mentioned I counted that as 1 for Goblin Lackey, because it is the most relevant card. Hopefully these exceptions didn't skew the results too badly.

Force of Will 32
    Fetchlands 30
    Brainstorm 28
    Dual Lands 28
    Swords to Plowshares 27
    Tarmogoyf 18
    Lion's Eye Diamond 15
    Empty the Warrens 14
    Goblin Lackey 14
    Wasteland 14
    Duress 12
    Aether Vial 10
    Dark Ritual 10
    Chalice of the Void 9
    Lightning Bolt 9
    Pithing Needle 9
    Stifle 8
    Burning Wish 7
    Dark Confidant 7
    Engineered Explosives 7
    Pernicious Deed 5
    Umezawa's Jitte 4
    Cabal Therapy 3
    Chrome Mox 3
    Daze 3
    Krosan Grip 3
    Life from the Loam 3
    Pyroclasm 3
    Tendrils of Agony 3
    Tormod's Crypt 3
    Lotus Petal 2
    Meddling Mage 2
    Last edited by gmorakis; 07-30-2007 at 09:48 PM.

Thread Information