Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Banned List discussion - not 2 weeks before

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Re: Banned List discussion - not 2 weeks before

Why not just ban Tendrils itself?

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Bryant Cook

Because I'll cry? Knock this banning combo pieces crap off, wizards might listen to you.

Overseas mascotte of IcBE
    Jul 2005
    Tilburg, the Netherlands

Quote Originally Posted by wastedlife View Post
    Because I'll cry? Knock this banning combo pieces crap off, wizards might listen to you.
    Maybe, but what would be the big problem with that? A lot of other decks could be viable if storm combo would be non-excistend.
    4th: 293/363
    5th: 82/434
    Vi: 159/167
    Wl: 100/167
    Te: 318/335
    St: 132/143
    Ex: 136/143
    US: 235/335
    3/8 Sealed boosters
    1/8 Sealed boosterboxes

Only 632 cards left for a full Korean set, over 69% done (last update 05/27)
    Always looking for sealed product!

Quote Originally Posted by Atwa View Post
    Maybe, but what would be the big problem with that? A lot of other decks could be viable if storm combo would be non-excistend.
    They don't need to ban Storm to make those decks viable, they just need to have some very hostile to Storm decks emerge as leading contenders.

The reason combo hasn't taken over the format completely is because there are matchups out there against which it is largely DOA. Storm-based combo is more resilient against some of those decks given that counters mean little against it once the effect is in play.

I have to admit that I never thought I'd see the day when it was more important to counter the dark ritual than the thing it produced.

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

The thing about also giving combo something back is so there is combo outside of Solidarity and Belcher. I know it sounds weird to ban something to weaken a deck and then unban something to make said deck stronger, but LED is just too broken in TES and Belcher with Infernal and Wish. I don't want to totally wipe combo off the map either so giving them something back would help. I am just talking about slowing the format down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    The thing about also giving combo something back is so there is combo outside of Solidarity and Belcher. I know it sounds weird to ban something to weaken a deck and then unban something to make said deck stronger, but LED is just too broken in TES and Belcher with Infernal and Wish. I don't want to totally wipe combo off the map either so giving them something back would help. I am just talking about slowing the format down.
    UU - Counterstorm - Instant

Counter target spell that has a Storm effect. If you do so then remove all spells from the stack.

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    UU - Counterstorm - Instant

Counter target spell that has a Storm effect. If you do so then remove all spells from the stack.
    You mean something like Hindering Touch? Combo runs disruption to get rid of things like the already useful Stifle or Orim's Chant.

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul Kamadaka View Post
    You mean something like Hindering Touch? Combo runs disruption to get rid of things like the already useful Stifle or Orim's Chant.
    Hindering Touch is a bit expensive to be effective against the kind of combo I'm seeing at the moment. In truth UU is also a bit expensive for that. Stifle works wonders. 3 Stifle in the maindeck and 2 or 3 Counterstorm in the sideboard would make Storm-based combo very vulnerable to blue control. I think having that effect in the meta would pretty much guarantee that Storm wasn't going to take us all by storm in the near future.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

We don't need to unban something to make Combo viable, as this was already done in the last bannings rounds. I already know of 3 strong hyper-fast combo decks that don't run Lion's Eye Diamond/Empty the warrens.

In fact, I think it would be wise to ban more combo cards.

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

We don't need to unban something to make Combo viable, as this was already done in the last bannings rounds. I already know of 3 strong hyper-fast combo decks that don't run Lion's Eye Diamond/Empty the warrens.
    Name them. I don't know of 1 besides Breakfast.

Undefined Fantastic Object

Oct 2006
    Waterloo, Canada

Quote Originally Posted by goobafish View Post
    Name them. I don't know of 1 besides Breakfast.
    QFT.

Other decks that does not run LED and ETW are slow and more oriented to the Combo/Control. The fastest those decks get is turn 3, which is a full turn slower than LED/ETW storm combo.
    She said, "You're broken."
    "So is your face." replied the Tarmogoyf.

Mantis Toboggan, M.D.
    Aug 2006
    Toronto, Canada

I can't think of a worse idea for legacy than to ban combo cards. Althrough combo is the most talked about and worked on archetype, it is quite weak in legacy, and does not post nearly enough results to warrant banning.

Thread Information