Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Decks that Kill Fast in Legacy

Re: Decks that Kill Fast in Legacy

Legacy is a very high powered format. Even something as simple as weenies + final fortune can produce significant turn 3 percentages.

Generally speaking the problem isn't one card or the other, but a combination of many forms of easy acceleration. Many of these are generally applicable, and, when they're not used in a deck, it typically reflects on a design choice.

Lion's Eye Diamond is really only problematic in the presence of other good acceleration and tutors/wishes.

Protean Hulk is potent, but needs to be cheated into and out of play to be effective. It also allows for a litany of finishing combos. Hulk decks will also use the same acceleration or protection libraries that the other decks in the format display.

Nov 2005
    Germany

FS = Faerie Stompy

If you include Scepter/Chant on this list, Stax has to be there too, and under turn 1: Starting with Trinisphere followed up by a Smokestack turn 2 or Braids turn 3 is pretty impossible to get out of.

Don't ping the hydra
    May 2007
    Spain

Added Stax on turn 1.

I'm thinking about adding a rarity to each entry, too. Maybe later.

Nov 2005
    Las Vegas, NV

Salvager/Game can win as early as turn 1, with odds getting better every turn.

Turn one kills with it are:

LED x2, Chromatic Sphere/Star, black land, Dark Ritual, Living Wish/Infernal Tutor.
    LED, Dark Ritual x2, black land, Chromatic Sphere/Star/Spellbomb, Infernal Tutor.

Think theres 1-2 other hands that can be turn 1 kill, but that should be enough to get the point across.

Oh, and i guess i should just mention it for the hell of it, but burn is capable of a turn 3 kill also. Need to draw all 3-for-1 burn, cept for a fire blast, then either a fork, Price of progress, or Flame Rift, and 3 land.

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom View Post
    I thought about mentioning Dragon Stompy (as turn 2) and FS (as turn 3) but he does mention in the opening post that he's looking for consistent quickness, and I'm not sure any aggro deck in Legacy consistently goldfishes this quickly.
    I've won turn 2 with Dragon Stompy in a tournament, and I've won turn 3 with Goblins more times than I'm capable of counting. I've actually won turn 1 with Goblins. Dragon Stompy can win turn 3 a lot more than turn 2, though.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Source Random
    Aug 2006
    Ottawa, Canada

The average kill is what counts

Quote Originally Posted by DrJones
    Decks that Kill Fast in Legacy
    Good Decks

On a more serious note, it's the average kill that counts. Iggy Pop can win on turn 1 and 2 but far less consistently than Belcher. That is why I believe Iggy Pop is a fair deck whereas I believe something should be done (ban-wise) to hinder the power of Belcher.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    This thread disgusts me. Carry on.

Nov 2005
    Germany

Actually, Iggy Pop kills faster than Belcher on average... from my experience it's only behind on the turn 1 win percentage, and that by so little it's not statistically significant.

One big selling point of Belcher is that it has a better than even chance of putting something scary on the table turn 1, rendering discard and countermagic fairly useless from then on.

Thread Information