Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Unlocking Legacy - The Banned Facts

Re: Unlocking Legacy - The Banned Facts

Maybe you don't find it interesting because you're not the target of the article. It's trying to convince people that Land Tax isn't broken and you already know that.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Sacul Kamadaka View Post
    Maybe you don't find it interesting because you're not the target of the article. It's trying to convince people that Land Tax isn't broken and you already know that.
    Yes, that's why I don't find it interesting. As I've said, however, purely theoretical evidence is not substantive enough to prove Chris' point to those that don't already agree with him. And it especially isn't enough to bring about action on the part of the DCI, who never ever make poilicy decisions based solely on theoretical argument.

Potential Land Tax single partner combos:

Brainstorm - Use Land Tax to pull 2 land out of the deck, Brainstorm and replace the 2 land with the 2 likely spells in the 3 card draw.

Sensei's Divining Top - Use top to look at top 3 cards at end of opponent's turn, shuffle during next upkeep using Land Tax if you don't like what you see. Land Tax's function in this combo: permanent reshuffle device.

Stasis - Use Land Tax to draw enough blue mana to sustain an early Stasis and stabilize. Land Tax's function in this combo: free mana generator of necessary color.

Forsaken City - Use Land Tax to draw the cards that you remove from game to untap Forsaken City. Land Tax's function in this combo: card generator to fulfill card sacrifice cost.

Library of Leng - Use Land Tax to draw quickly up to whatever number of cards your effect needs. Obviously we're past the days of Maro as a killer, unless we're not. Land Tax function in the combo: card generator to maintain hand size.

Last Rites - Use Land Tax to fuel Last Rites. Land Tax function in the combo: card generator to fulfill discard cost.

There are probably many more broken things to do with Land Tax than the short list above, but the variety of purposes Land tax can be put to even in that short list should be a warning note on what other possibilities lurk out there.

May 2006
    Moscow, Russia

Explain to me how Belcher deals with turn 1 facing Mox Diamond, Land Tax, Sphere of Resistance - You might never activate Land Tax, but Belcher might never play a spell. But that's somehow inherently bad? I don't buy it.
    I'm amazed no one pointed this out, but I just would. Hows the above scenario would be any different for Belcher than Ancient Tomb -> Sphere of Resistance? And you still might (just might) have the other 5 business cards. In the above scenario you just wasted 4 cards [mox (because its one mana compared to 2 that tomb would produce) + land + crystal veins + tax] to lay the same damn sphere of resistance just to have the possibility to replace these cards that were clearly not business with basic lands (which are not business too). Wow, I'm rather playing tomb/sphere. The same argument mostly applies to the above post as well. What exactly are you going to do even in the best case scenario, if you just literally wasted most of your hand to generate some kind of "advantage" which you can't use in a few following turns. Hell, you might not even have these advantage engine cards at all. Thats the problem the article arises and rather does it well.

Thread Information