Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: [Article] - The Red Death Primer

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Re: [Article] - The Red Death Primer

Quote Originally Posted by Anti~American4621 View Post
    You answered it.
    I answered it because it was easy to answer. Sometimes I answer a Birds of Paradise with a Fire/Ice because I have nothing better to do with a Fire/Ice. That doesn't mean that Birds is a powerhouse of a card; I just want to deny my opponent his resources. Counterbalance is a resource and is no different. Sometimes I answer Top+Counterbalance with a Needle because I have nothing else to use a Needle on in the Thresh matchup. Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying Counterbalance is a bad card, and I'm not saying it's not worth answering. I'm saying that in my experience, both testing with and against it, it's simply too unreliable to be worth the slots it takes up, when guaranteed counters on my opponent's most important threats tend to be just as effective, if not moreso.

Artist formerly known as Anti-American
    May 2005
    Thursday...

Re: [Article] - The Red Death Primer

Quote Originally Posted by GodzillA View Post
    I answered it because it was easy to answer. Sometimes I answer a Birds of Paradise with a Fire/Ice because I have nothing better to do with a Fire/Ice. That doesn't mean that Birds is a powerhouse of a card; I just want to deny my opponent his resources.
    This is true. I have randomly threw out Needles before just to answer something because it was there. It's a resource and you have an answer. May as well answer it.
    Counterbalance is a resource and is no different. Sometimes I answer Top+Counterbalance with a Needle because I have nothing else to use a Needle on in the Thresh matchup.
    I've done that before. Usually when up against the Counterbalance mirror, I tend to just answer Top, then proceed playing around Counterbalance.

Don't get me wrong; I'm not saying Counterbalance is a bad card, and I'm not saying it's not worth answering. I'm saying that in my experience, both testing with and against it, it's simply too unreliable to be worth the slots it takes up, when guaranteed counters on my opponent's most important threats tend to be just as effective, if not moreso.
    Personally, I think it's worth the spaces it takes up, considering the fact I side it in against just about every non-Goblin deck in the format, I think it's a good card to have in trouble matches, especially when you run 10 1cc cantrips, which help you assemble the Combo rather quickly. But that's my opinion, and experience with the card. Thank you for sharing yours.
    ICBE - We're totally the coolest Anti-Thesis ever.

"The Citrus-God just had a Citrus-Supernova... in your mouth."

Thread Information