Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: [Deck] Cephalid Breakfast

In Soviet Russia, Mudkipz liek you.
    Aug 2007

Re: [Deck] Cephalid Breakfast

Quote Originally Posted by calosso View Post
    EOT worldly tutor, and if you have vial at 2 you can vial proctor and then play both combo pieces for 3 mana that doesn't seem that hard since breakfast can mold it's hand quiet well.
    True you can do that but if they are playing black they do run discard most o fthe time and they could get rid of the tutor/proctor. If they cannot the game will probably go in your favor.
    But the one thing I like about this deck is what Ewokslayer said
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewokslayer View Post
    From the post

Cephalid Breakfast vs. TES feels like you are a 300 lb linebacker tackling a retarded baby.
    Team Funk: The philosopher of the 70's.

Quote of the week: List of Power: God is a 10. Humans are 7's. Monkeys are 6's. Koalas are 8's they are telekenetic and control the weather.

A dreamcatcher works, if your dream is to be gay.
    -- Demetri Martin

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by Nosomo. View Post
    So in the mean time you need enough mana to combo off that turn or have enough counter magic to stop the replay? But if you are playing against black and hope to combo off they should at least have some creature kill saved up in hand and if so how would you win in that situation?
    You don't really fear creature kill in the way I think you mean. Before you play Dread Return you flashback Cabal Therapys to get rid of any hate you might fear.

Banned
    Sep 2004
    fairfax VA

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    You don't really fear creature kill in the way I think you mean. Before you play Dread Return you flashback Cabal Therapys to get rid of any hate you might fear.
    Actually when you are trying to resolve either nomad or illusionist in response you can kill the other one so you don't get combo'd out.

Trop -> Nacatl Pass
    Dec 2003
    SUNY Geneseo

Quote Originally Posted by calosso View Post
    Actually when you are trying to resolve either nomad or illusionist in response you can kill the other one so you don't get combo'd out.
    Well thats why you vial the combo in response, or dig for Therapy and Fow.

Banned
    Sep 2004
    fairfax VA

Quote Originally Posted by troopatroop View Post
    Well thats why you vial the combo in response, or dig for Therapy and Fow.
    That's fine but you don't always have vial, and against goblins you cannot force Gempalm, and I doubt you will force a fanatic. So that leaves you to find a 1-2 of theopy in a very limited amount of time.

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

This conversation is getting stupid. We're done with the "well, if you do that, then I do this!" crap. Test the matchup if you're concerned with how it plays out.

Perhaps I'm missing something but I fail to see how this deck consistently goldfishes turn 2 unless you have both combo pieces in your opening hand. From the list I saw on the front page I saw no accelerants so I don't know how it would work. Maybe someone could provide a reliable goldfish percentage for me and/or show how the turn 2 goldfish is as reliable as people say. Just trying to clear the air
    To not thirst for power is to be at the mercy of those that do

ReAnimated

You usually find the 2 peices with the Can-trips and tutors I don't know the percentages , but with 6 Tutors and 8 Can-trips doesn't seem so hard by turn 2 or 3.

Is there a reason not to play the Cephalid Brunch version of the deck? It seems like the largest issue with the deck comes from a vulnerability to graveyard hate. The Life combo lets you get access to all the same common elements (which is most of them) while dodging a lot of the relevant hate, like Meddling Mage on Dread Return or Tormod's Crypt. You also get to save a slot on the combo because the extra creatures add power and toughness to Sutured Ghoul.

The Life combo seems extraordinarily good against Goblins. Life has always traditionally rolled through aggressive decks and it basically gives you free extra ways to put together a defense. The traditional issue with Life.dec was the presence of High Tide, which is now diminished.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

Life combo is harder to assemble and Vamp isn't legal.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Infinite Life doesnt actually win you the game either, your opponent could just play a few creatures blocking your weenies from swinging in, and draw you out since most likely you'd have less cards due to tutors/cantrips.

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimated View Post
    You usually find the 2 peices with the Can-trips and tutors I don't know the percentages , but with 6 Tutors and 8 Can-trips doesn't seem so hard by turn 2 or 3.
    From the list I saw on the front page this deck runs no accelerants. So without accelerants you only have 3 mana between turns 1 and 2 which is just enough mana to play the combo if you managed to draw it in your first
    8-9 cards. I'm no math major but drawing 1 of a 4 of and then drawing 1 of another 4 of consistently within the first 8-9 draws of the game seems like it would be a little more difficult than people seem to imply. If the decklist has been changed to add accelerants of some kind or has changed significantly since the front page please fill me in on the current list.
    To not thirst for power is to be at the mercy of those that do

Arbitrary Wielder of Justice

Oct 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Bovinious View Post
    Infinite Life doesnt actually win you the game either, your opponent could just play a few creatures blocking your weenies from swinging in, and draw you out since most likely you'd have less cards due to tutors/cantrips.
    well you could also gain infinite and then take a while to assemble the perfect hand and crush them with the A plan, presumably involving casting really a lot of cabal therapies.
    When in doubt, mumble.

When in trouble, delegate.

In the past, a singleton Serra Avatar (even out of the board) or even maindeck Test of Endurance, optionally with Rector out of the board gave you a win condition. Even Volrath's Stronghold or something similar. If you lose versus an aggro deck with infinite life, you've really screwed up.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Magic Librarian
    Aug 2007
    Johannes de Silentio

I am wondering if the deck has outs to an extract? Other combo decks already using blue (TES, high-tide) with weak matchups against breakfast could use it to remove the kill piece, giving them the win. FOW will not always be around either, and it seems that sideboarded extracts would turn the matchup to at least even.

ReAnimated

Maybe we find a spot for another Dread Return , possibly in the side , but what would you take out?

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by ReAnimated View Post
    Maybe we find a spot for another Dread Return , possibly in the side , but what would you take out?
    What good would that do?

If you're playing the Kiki version, the opponent removes the Kiki or Hussar or Guide.

If you're playing the Ghoul version, the opponent removes the Ghoul.

Either way, you're in trouble.

Banned
    Sep 2004
    fairfax VA

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    What good would that do?

If you're playing the Kiki version, the opponent removes the Kiki or Hussar or Guide.

If you're playing the Ghoul version, the opponent removes the Ghoul.

Either way, you're in trouble.
    Actually you have to remove kiki or Hussar, because if those two are still in the deck then you can still vial both in and still combo out.

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

Does anyone actually play extract? And can't the ghoul version just go for the phyrexian dreadnought kill? Extract has to be the most narrow card ever right now.

edit: I suppose if TES has such an abysmal matchup against this deck a one of extract could be strong to wish for? I don't know how much that would help.
    they haunt minds...

Magic Librarian
    Aug 2007
    Johannes de Silentio

Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9 View Post
    Does anyone actually play extract? And can't the ghoul version just go for the phyrexian dreadnought kill? Extract has to be the most narrow card ever right now.
    Other combo decks could consider extract, since they do not have a good matchup against breakfast. TES can run a single one as a wish target. Decks running mystical tutor could use a 1of in sb. It isn't used much now, but that is because the meta may not have adapted to breakfast yet.

Well, of course nought can be used for the alt win cond, but that gives at least another 2 turns for the opposing deck to win or find an answer to nought. With grips, bounce, smothers and stps rampant, it should not be too hard.

Thread Information