Thread: [Article] Yawgmoth's Whimsy - Welcome to Legacy

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

[Article] Yawgmoth's Whimsy - Welcome to Legacy

Link

Finally! This may be the first time I've seen an article written by an outsider that was really good. There is no condescending attitude towards the Legacy community or bashing of any kind. Just nice things here.

Cheers, Peter Jahn.

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Re: [Article] Yawgmoth's Whimsy - Welcome to Legacy

The blurb about not getting to draw a card wasn't great, but I liked the nationals coverage.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Holy crap. A good Legacy article written by someone who isn't Machinus or Bardo? I didn't believe it at first, but it's true. A nice read all around, and decently informative (despite his repeated insisting that he knows next to nothing about Legacy).

I liked it.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

YES WE CAN
    Sep 2005
    GMU

I love that Empty the Slogger got mentioned.
    TEAM DRAGONFORCIA-
    Ghost ridin' the whip like we invented that shit.
    TEAM UNICORN
    We're going for number four!

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

I love that he didn't make fun of me for powder kegging my call of the herd token. This guy was awesome at the tournament though, judging at 3:30 am is no easy feat, especially when you've been working for 18 hours.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

This was a really good article
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Undefined Fantastic Object

Oct 2006
    Waterloo, Canada

An awesome article. Also, the belcher list is interesting.

3 Infernal tutor? hmm.
    She said, "You're broken."
    "So is your face." replied the Tarmogoyf.

Banned

Oct 2006
    NoVA

Yea that Belcher list was definitely sub-par, oh well it grasped the basic concept well enough. Good article overall.

Its interesting to me that one of the only articles people on the source like is written by someone who admits he doesn't know dick about legacy. I'm sorry but there seems to be something inherently elitist in that line of thinking.
    To not thirst for power is to be at the mercy of those that do

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Quote Originally Posted by blacklotus3636 View Post
    Its interesting to me that one of the only articles people on the source like is written by someone who admits he doesn't know dick about legacy. I'm sorry but there seems to be something inherently elitist in that line of thinking.
    No, it's the fact that he didn't come in with a know it all attitude and didn't write a heavy handed article bashing the community.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Quote Originally Posted by blacklotus3636 View Post
    You should pay more attention when you read criticisms. This article is good because the author is honest about how well he knows the format. The bad ones usually involve authors who don't know squat pretending like they are experts. It is sadly very easy to tell when someone is full of shit, and authors who choose to write about Legacy frequently are because they can't bring themselves to actually play in tournaments, or even a tournament.

Just judging a Legacy tournament probably earns more experience in the format than most have who choose to write about it. Even so, he is honest about his experience, which makes his contribution better than much that has been written about Legacy.

Considering how poor the average Legacy player's grasp of the rules is, judging a Legacy tournament is no mean feat, even if they simplified and clarified the Humility interactions.
    Magic Level 3 Judge
    Southern USA Regional Coordinator

Quote Originally Posted by frogboy View Post
    Battle with a ragtag crew of adorable misfits. Narcomoeba and Golgari Thug hook up before the end of the movie.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nihil Credo View Post
    Please be less rambling in your next post. I only bothered with figuring out what the fuck you were trying to ask because I took it as a challenge.

Faerie Godfather

Jul 2005
    Finland

A well-written article, although I don't really think 'I never got to draw a card' is the kind of press the format wants, especially since it's rarely even half the story and the combo in the format is hardly unstoppable. A major reason Vintage had almost no players for the longest time besides the obscuring costs of playing competitively back when there were no proxy tourneys was that there was a myth of games being decided by die roll. That just turns players off and makes them not want to even bother familiarizing themselves with the format. This is not the case in Vintage and this is definitely not the case in Legacy, so what would really be called for are articles that actually explain the nature of the format and show how far from omnipotent or even dominant combo is in the format.

Still, with the knowledge he had, he wrote an interesting observation of the format and was completely honest when it came to many of the points. I enjoyed reading it.

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Considering how poor the average Legacy player's grasp of the rules is, judging a Legacy tournament is no mean feat, even if they simplified and clarified the Humility interactions.
    If you actually played Legacy, you'd realize what you said is false. Although generally a Legacy player is considered to be worse in this regard compared to other formats, I find nothing but the opposite when actually playing in events. If you go to a 50+ person Legacy event, roughly 15-20% will have a poor grasp of the rules. A bit high, but not bad. Those people will also be those either getting a third round bye, playing what seems to be a casual match, or dropping. The rest of us actually have a clue on what's going on, and that pretty much pertains to a majority of the posters on here. I'm not saying all the good posters here are good with rules, but to denounce them is just wrong.

But God help him if he had to deal with Humility. God help him...

Sweet Sixteenth
    Jul 2004
    Fairfax City, VA

lol, I know exactly why he used my decklist of UGR. I forgot to put my last name down on my reg sheet, so he came over to me in the early rounds to give me a warning and shake his finger. I promised him that I would make sure to write the other half as well for the rest of the tournament.

He was a great character, I hope we meet again.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krieger View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Getsickanddie View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcher View Post
    Looks like Team Unicorn has about sixteen coming to this.

What's the term for a plural group of Unicorns? Y'know, like a murder of crows. Well that's what's on it's way.
    ******s?
    While this is close it's still wrong. Every one knows it's an orgy of unicorns.
    Team Unicorn is too hetero for me.
    TeaM NOVA for life.

Jimington
    Aug 2007
    Irelandtown

That article did get me into legacy I plan to get all the cards for empty-the slogger But play goblins on MWS I plan to get the cards for goblins some day

Thread Information