Thread: [Unlocking Legacy] - Far Beyond Driven

You meet the nicest people on a Honda
    Dec 2003
    Fredericksburg, Va

[Unlocking Legacy] - Far Beyond Driven

Awwww (read it; it's very... sweet).

I enjoyed it. Nice job, Adam.
    Quote Originally Posted by nitewolf9
    I can show up whenever I vomit off my hangover and get rid of the passed out females who's naked bodies will be sprawled out all over my condo. Oh wait, I'm engaged. FUCK.

Well in that case I can be there at like 2 then, I guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by IAmTheBestEver View Post
    I built my car with my bare hands. It has 32 engines and 17 gas pedals so I can go extra-turbo fast. I sold it for a million dollars and then stole it from the guy using my super computer that can hack into any car in the world as long as I built it. Now I speed down the highway listening to Bruce Springsteen at max volume and flipping off other drivers.

What are regrets?

YES WE CAN
    Sep 2005
    GMU

Re: [Article]Unlocking Legacy - Far Beyond Driven

This made me smile.

You're a lot friendlier in article format, ya know?
    TEAM DRAGONFORCIA-
    Ghost ridin' the whip like we invented that shit.
    TEAM UNICORN
    We're going for number four!

Bryant Cook

I liked it, after all my awesome self was named dropped.

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

There are many things I like about this article, but the most important part is the untold story. I'm still amazed that we drive to NY to play magic or that NY players come here to play magic. Its not like we are playing for tons of money or anything. We might come across borderline crazy or something, but the best answer is that it is a labor of love.

One last thing, Is this article named for the Pantera album of the same name?

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

I beat you by one minute and look at what happens!!!

Anyway, good article.

Administrator
    Nov 2003
    Portland, OR

Quote Originally Posted by Machinus View Post
    I beat you by one minute and look at what happens!!!
    His already had a reply in it.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by AnwarA101 View Post
    We might come across borderline crazy or something, but the best answer is that it is a labor of love.
    Hell, I dropped roughly $400 to fly to and stay in Columbus for the GP. Sure, there was money on the line, but honestly I had to T16 to break even. Even I was surprised that I made day 2. I did it because I knew it would be a blast, and I knew I would meet a ton of awesome Sourcers there for the first time. It was, I did, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

That's what the format is all about, and I think Adam captured it perfectly in this article.

Good job, man.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

?
    Oct 2003
    Syracuse, NY

Although you clearly understand Pinder, I think it's more difficult for someone like you to grasp the entire thing because they don't have events out there like they do on the east coast. Can you see yourself doing something like that once a month? Clearly it isn't $400 you're spending, but imagine yourself driving in a car for 7 hours to play a tournament that has little monetary gain for you, even if you manage to win. As you said it's for the fun, but it's crazy to think about how we do some of this stuff here just to see friends and such.

Serious Rider
    Oct 2005

Quote Originally Posted by Di View Post
    Can you see yourself doing something like that once a month?
    To be perfectly honest......well, yeah.

I realize it's only two and a half hours, but I believe the differing scale is only slightly relevant. Plus, if all goes well, I might have to drive as far as San Francisco (google puts it at 12 hours, 40 minutes). And you can bet your ass I'll be there.

And on the flight to Columbus I had to spend 5 hours in coach sitting next to this guy

But that's neither here nor there. I think the point is that we're all crazy enough to spend way too much money to see friends that we met on the internet and play the magical cards.
    Team Info-Ninjas: Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy.
    My Videos: Chiron Beta Prime, Flickr, Re: Your Brains
    Quote Originally Posted by Slay
    Man Kills Seven at popular gaming tournament, buries in backyard. "I was only trying to get thresh," he says.
    -Slay

The Eccentric Idealist
    Jul 2006
    Salt Lake City, Utah

Definitely a good article. Since I live where I live it's just not possible for me to get to such legacy tournaments but I do understand the feeling of playing just to play. Sure sometimes there will be a local card store that hosts a legacy event of sorts where a half dozen people show up but there is never something with dozens of people who drive for 7 hours to get there. If it were within my budget to do so I would love to go to such events or at least attend a legacy grand prix or gen con event and hopefully I will be able to someday but real life is always more important than games no matter how much fun the game may be.

Anyway that was a good article and definitely the kind of article that there needs to be more of.
    People are products of their own ingenuity; they are who they choose to be.

Fight Me!

*/*
    Dec 2004
    Syracuse, NY

Quote Originally Posted by outsideangel View Post
    You're a lot friendlier in article format, ya know?
    Was I unfriendly in person? If I was, it was only to Bryant. He did, after all, pour syrup in my hair. To be fair though, I teabagged him.

Quote Originally Posted by Anwar
    I'm still amazed that we drive to NY to play magic or that NY players come here to play magic. Its not like we are playing for tons of money or anything. We might come across borderline crazy or something, but the best answer is that it is a labor of love.
    That's really the point. I don't even care about results anymore, not on any high level. I make these trips (or, look forward to you guys making them) because you're all awesome dudes, and I love hanging out with you all. Call it sappy, but it's true, and I know the rest of the guys up here feel the same way. I have very few friends I've known longer than my Magic friends, and the ones I have known longer have played Magic with me through a lot of that time, too. It's amazing the kind of common ground this game lets people share.

Quote Originally Posted by Anwar
    One last thing, Is this article named for the Pantera album of the same name?
    Yeah, for a couple reasons. One, I was driven there this past weekend. Also, it takes a real drive for you guys to run these events, and for the players to haul out to them.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! I was a little nervous about this one, as it didn't really have a lot of meat as far as cards go. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it.

Get Money, Ghost
    Oct 2005
    Albany

Just a good article in general, brings back memories of the trips to the Dual Land Drafts.
    Team Rehab- We Keep Coming Back For More
    Team Blitzkrieg- Swagga.
    Storm Boards
    Quote Originally Posted by FakeSpam View Post
    Legacy is like Japan. We don't make stuff, we just make stuff better.

Excellent article.

It perfectly describes the old environment before WoTC took over running tournaments also. I remember hitting tourneys in Boston, New Jersey and western Pennsylvania in a 3 weekend span in 1994. They were all 32-64 people in size and they all brought people in from all the surrounding states also.

It's interesting that Legacy is by far the closest approximation of what the Magic world had before WoTC took control and took most of the fun out of competitive play.

The article needed more Rush lyrics. Other than that, very good.

Combo King Pommes
    Aug 2005
    Germany

Re: [Unlocking Legacy] - Far Beyond Driven

Nice article.

Anwar’s new creation; a mono-Blue, sorcery speed High Tide deck, using Candelabra of Tawnos and Mind Over Matter as mana generators.
    That sounds really interesting. Is this just some really new version of Spring Tide? What are the advantages? Maybe Anwar could write something about this?
    Sometimes you have to read between the minds.

++ T8ing all over Europe since 2005 ++
    ++ Team aYb - all your base (are belong to us) ++

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by Lukas Preuss View Post
    Nice article.

That sounds really interesting. Is this just some really new version of Spring Tide? What are the advantages? Maybe Anwar could write something about this?
    He's pretty swamped, but when I see him tomorrow I'll mention that he should probably write a primer of some sort.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Permanent Waves
    Jul 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    That's really the point. I don't even care about results anymore, not on any high level. I make these trips (or, look forward to you guys making them) because you're all awesome dudes, and I love hanging out with you all. Call it sappy, but it's true, and I know the rest of the guys up here feel the same way. I have very few friends I've known longer than my Magic friends, and the ones I have known longer have played Magic with me through a lot of that time, too. It's amazing the kind of common ground this game lets people share.
    Maybe that is why you play Landstill !

But in all honesty people who think Legacy players are xenophobic, unapproachable, or something else should have really come out to the tournament on a Saturday and realized we were just there to have a good time. We are all trying to win, but the world isn't exactly riding on it just in case we don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare
    Yeah, for a couple reasons. One, I was driven there this past weekend. Also, it takes a real drive for you guys to run these events, and for the players to haul out to them.

Thanks for the positive feedback guys! I was a little nervous about this one, as it didn't really have a lot of meat as far as cards go. I'm glad you enjoyed reading it as much as I did writing it.
    Okay I just love this. Call me a sucker for this type of play on words.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggro_zombies
    The article needed more Rush lyrics. Other than that, very good.
    Were there any Rush lyrics in the article? I don't think I would have missed that reference. Just in case you needed it -

Begin the day
    With a friendly voice
    A companion, unobtrusive
    Plays that song thats so elusive
    And the magic music makes your morning mood

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

This article really makes me want to make it to the next decent-sized tournament up there.

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Merkwürdigeliebe
    Aug 2006
    Vienna, AT

Unlike my favorite format T1, Legacy has yet to get the inflated ego assholes and bickering that IMO have caused a leveling off in enthusiasm for it.

This board reminds me of the Drain circa 2002/2003 except a little more frivolous posting is tolerated here. I started reading the article and I couldn't whole heartedly agree more with the statement.

This game is about having fun and goofing off. I sometimes skip out on tournaments to go on dates but I try to religiously make my weekly "Geek Night". I really enjoy teaching people how to be a better player and to think deeply in the game. I have a full life outside of this, but I would have to say without a doubt its the community and the "scientific" collaboration and debate on new decks that keeps me thinking and interacting.

A side note, since this is one of those feel good squishy posts anyway:

Since I have moved to NM I have never ceased to be amazed by the sheer amount of bad players and those who refused to improve. However, I will say this about NM, the players here are as nice as anywhere in the world and decidedly less smelly. Hopefully I will get a job on the East Coast to be closer to my family and I can actually clash with some of the titans of this format. Until then I will continue to yuck it up, out here.

His name is not unknown in these woods.
    Aug 2006
    Area 88

Great article, if I wasn't too much of a man to cry I'd do it. Instead I think I'll go kick someone in the head. But yeah, a great reflection on why we really play this damn game.
    they haunt minds...

Thread Information