Thread: The Way of the Melee - Eternal Championships with 5 questions for Roland Chang

Affinity and Beyond!
    Sep 2005
    GA

The Way of the Melee - Eternal Championships with 5 questions for Roland Chang

This article posted today on MTG.com, The Way of the Melee, touches on Eternal Championships with 5 questions for Roland Chang

Below is one of the questions that was asked.

5. What are the five most powerful cards in Legacy?

RC: In no particular order: Force of Will, Brainstorm, Goblin Lackey, Swords to Plowshares, Replenish.
    Do you agree? For the most apart I would, except I would replace Replenish with Tarmogofy.

What would your top 5 look like?
    "Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun." --Ash

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Re: The Way of the Melee - Eternal Championships with 5 questions for Roland Chang

Brainstorm, Force of Will, Tarmogoyf, Goblin Lackey, Empty the Warrens.
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Re: The Way of the Melee - Eternal Championships with 5 questions for Roland Chang

LED should probably be the card in the Replenish slot, though a solid argument could be made for tha 'goyf.

Brainstorm, Empty the Warrens, Chalice of the Void and Burning Wish are the easy ones. Nothing jumped out at me as the clearly broken fifth. Umezawa's Jitte and Aether Vial are both right there. Force of Will didn't make the cut because Storm dismembers its effectiveness. No creatures made the cut because there are so many different ways to get rid of them that it really cuts their overall strength. 27 creatures is strong, Tarmogoyf is plow bait.

hai 2 u
    Apr 2007
    SoCal - Anaheim

Quote Originally Posted by FoolofaTook View Post
    No creatures made the cut because there are so many different ways to get rid of them that it really cuts their overall strength.
    That's a horrible argument. There's a ton of hand disruption that gets rid of the cards you listed, yet you still suggest that chalice of the void is one of the five most powerful cards in legacy? Are you kidding me? I guess to each their own...
    #mtgfinance follow on twitter: @mtgStaples

Quote Originally Posted by OBFREELY
    You should all immediately fire emails at the DCI requesting the banning of Tarmogoyf and Golgari Grave-Troll.
    Quote Originally Posted by TheInfamousBearAssassin View Post
    I'm pretty sure I'm not compelled to address your non-argument based simply on the fact that you're obviously borderline retarded.
    Team Brown & Team Unicorn. Does that make me a Brown Unicorn?

Admin
    Oct 2003
    Redondo Beach, CA

Quote Originally Posted by LGD View Post
    LED should probably be the card in the Replenish slot, though a solid argument could be made for tha 'goyf.
    I would agree with this. Replenish is strong, but it doesn't have a presence at all.
    Monday Night Magic: http://rfimd2000.tripod.com/images/mnm/mondaynight.htm

Team
    Left
    Field

Jun 2005
    Knoxville, TN

Watch out for Meandeck Replenish.

Quote Originally Posted by zulander View Post
    That's a horrible argument. There's a ton of hand disruption that gets rid of the cards you listed, yet you still suggest that chalice of the void is one of the five most powerful cards in legacy? Are you kidding me? I guess to each their own...
    Chalice for 1 on turn 1 does half the job of beating half the decks in the format. That's something that no creature can do. If the average deck had 8 ways to stop turn 1 Chalice or immediately remove it then it would be a different question.

The Legacy meta is in pretty good shape right now because creatures have real validity in determining who wins game in the tier1 matchups. That still does not make any creature that can land in the first few turns determinative of the outcome in the way that a spell like Chalice can be. Duress to pull Chalice doesn't mean anything if the other player goes first. Force of Will will stop it if it's not backed by counters, but then again that's also true of any creature.

12/12
    Dec 2004
    Spencer MA

Quote Originally Posted by kabal View Post
    Do you agree? For the most apart I would, except I would replace Replenish with Tarmogofy.

What would your top 5 look like?
    LOL@ Replenish. Who cares what he thinks, he plays U/G Madness!!
    Avoid unnecessarily sarcastic comments like this. It makes you look like an ignorant dick. - Zilla

My top 5 would be..

Force of Will
    Goblin Lackey
    Chalice of the Void
    Empty the Warrens
    Lions Eye Diamond
    Now playing real formats.

Oct 2003
    Rochester, NY

He wins with U/G Madness.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

"Most powerful card" doesn't equal "most powerful strategy/deck".

But at any rate, LED definitely belongs in there. I'd also have a hard time putting Brainstorm and FoW and StP on there if by "powerful" we actually mean "game-winning". They're insanely versatile and efficient, but not immediately game-breaking like Lackey, Replenish, LED and the 'Goyf.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Mariah Carey Unicorn
    Feb 2005
    Rochester, NY

LED, Burning Wish, Tarmogoyf, Goblin Lackey, Empty the Warrens.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinder View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare View Post
    I'm gonna bang noobslayer's sister. Then I'm gonna do it again.
    How come it needs to be a holiday to bang noobslayer's sister?
    Quote Originally Posted by URABAHN View Post
    So, we should call it Peter, Paul, and Mary? Or we're supposed to go outside and start sucking dick?

Plays green decks
    Nov 2006
    Portland

I think it is saying something when 3 cards people are saying are in the top 5 are all found in the same deck.

Clay Aiken
    Jun 2005
    Mooshie's Grove

Quote Originally Posted by kirdape3 View Post
    He wins with U/G Madness.
    Not since the 2006 Legacy Championships he hasn't. Last time I looked, there was this deck called "Red Death" that stopped U/G Madness from making Top 8 last time Roland played it. Anyone remember the guy who won that match ?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lifeless View Post
    Your Source for Hurt Feelings and Naming Cats.

Oct 2003
    Rochester, NY

For Roland, who doesn't play all that often, that's like a two tournament not-top 8 streak in Legacy :p.

Curmudgeon
    Apr 2004
    Brussels

Whatev. U/G is still a pretty solid deck, Goblins aside. Even that's not unwinnable.
    Early one morning while making the round,
    I took a shot of cocaine and I shot my woman down;
    I went right home and I went to bed,
    I stuck that lovin' .44 beneath my head.

Mar 2007
    RI

Quote Originally Posted by Jak. View Post
    I think it is saying something when 3 cards people are saying are in the top 5 are all found in the same deck.
    I'm not even sure what deck you're referring to. People throwing out LED, Burning Wish, Brainstorm, Empty the Warrens... TES? Brainstorm, Force of Will, Tarmogoyf, sometimes Swords to Plowshares... Threshold? Brainstorm, Force of Will, Swords to Plowshares... Landstill? Lackey and Aether Vial were mentioned, Chalice as well which is on the SB... Goblins? Brainstorm, Force of Will, and Aether Vial again... Cephlid Breakfast?

It would make sense that top decks are using top cards! My guess as to what it is saying is that people have figured out putting good cards together is better than putting bad ones together.

As for Top 5: Force of Will, Cabal Therapy, Swords to Plowshares, Goblin Lackey, Lion's Eye Diamond in my opinion.

Jul 2007
    Enfield, CT

Top 5 format warping cards on a power level standpoint with reasoning (in no particular order):

Tarmogoyf: If you like the broccolli, you play this card. If you don't, you better have a way to kill it. Nuff said.

Lion's Eye Diamond: 3 mana for the price of casting a Burning Wish or a hellbent Demonic Tutor. Enabling a combo deck near you.

Brainstorm: The most efficient card drawing spell in the format.

Swords to Plowshares: The most efficient creature removal spell in the format. If you deck loses when they send one of your creatures farming, you need a new deck.

Goblin Lackey: Single handedly the scariest first turn play in the format. Deal with it or get run over by the red men.

there it is folks
    Still looking for FBB Lightning Bolts. German or Korean is preferred. PM me if you have them

Quote Originally Posted by Slay View Post
    Drunk texting is ballin'. Anyone can slur into a phone, but it takes a real man to fumble over tiny buttons to make a semi-coherent message and send it to someone.
    -Slay

Thread Information