Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fetch lands in mono-colored decks?

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Re: Fetch lands in mono-colored decks?

Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    You are allowed to take them durring the game though, yes? As long as you aren't delaying that game you can write down whatever you want?
    You can write down whatever you want during a match, yes. You can refer to those notes throughout the match (you can write a list of cards in hand when you Duress him, and then refer to it while you are sideboarding or when you cast Cabal Therapy in game 2, for instance) but you cannot bring them to the next match. Be careful, because often you'll write notes down about one match on the paper you're keeping your life totals on, and then bring that same paper with you to the next match. Make sure to switch sheets between matches.

Utterly ViLe
    Sep 2006

On the topic of notes:

Notes you take you are not permitted to hide from your opponent. If you write down your top 3 cards off of Sensei's Divining Top, you must show them to your opponent.
    Quote Originally Posted by frolll View Post
    It is not like any other penises, though...
    It's a penis drawn by Leonard friggin' Da Vinci; which pretty much owns our penises.
    Team Multi-Grain - We're wholesome.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    Notes you take you are not permitted to hide from your opponent. If you write down your top 3 cards off of Sensei's Divining Top, you must show them to your opponent.
    Well, you're not permitted to hide them, but you don't have to show them to your opponent unless they ask.

Quote Originally Posted by Cait_Sith View Post
    On the topic of notes:

I never knew about this.

Let me understand this properly: when you activate Top, and take notes to help you remember what was on the top, this note, must be shared with the opponent if they request it? Your library, hidden from the opponent then becomes public knowledge, that's highly counterintuitive.

Another issue then arises -- if the above is true, then what about false note making? Activate Top, scribble down "FoW, Counterspell, Mana Leak", oh, you want to see my notes? Here you go. (Jedi mind trick ftw?)

If anybody can explain this in more detail, that would be much appreciated. I will try to go through the DCI floor rules and see what I can come up.
    Nothing witty to say.

Notes are not public information. You do not have to show your opponent notes that you take during the match.

This is currently only in policy, but it's supposedly going to make it into the Universal Tournament Rules at some point.

The Penalty guidelines cover outside notes (Section 153, Cheating - Outside Assistance). You can be DQed for outside notes.

Notes made during a match may be referenced during that match or between matches. Notes made outside the current match may not be referenced once a player has sat for their match until after their match is completed.
    The only exception that's sometimes made is having the "Oracle" text of your cards, but that should be OKed by the head judge beforehand.

The fear of outside notes is pretty much the sole reason they don't let you write notes in 2HG. Pretty silly in my opinion.

The Universal Tournament Rules section on notes:

28. Taking Notes
    Players are allowed to take brief written notes regarding the current match and may refer to those notes while this match is in progress. Players are expected to take their notes in a timely fashion. Players who take too much time will be subject to the appropriate provisions of the DCI Penalty Guidelines.

During the draft portion of a tournament, players and spectators may not take any notes. Players may not refer to outside notes during the match. This includes notes from previous matches of that day.

Cards used in a tournament may not have writing on their faces other than signatures or artistic modifications. Modifications may not obscure the artwork so as to make the card unrecognizable. If modifications to a card are deemed by the Head Judge to constitute outside notes or unsporting conduct, the player using such cards will be subject to the appropriate provisions of the DCI Penalty Guidelines.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

So, if you could accomplish it quickly enough without stalling the game you could actually scribble down your opponents entire deck after say Extirpating, seeing it get Dredged/Milled into the yard, whatever?
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    So, if you could accomplish it quickly enough without stalling the game you could actually scribble down your opponents entire deck after say Extirpating, seeing it get Dredged/Milled into the yard, whatever?
    I've done this after capping someone. The SCG judge didn't seem to have a problem with it.
    BZK! - Storm Boards

Been there, tried that, still casting Doomsday.
    Drawing my deck for 0 mana since 2013.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Akki View Post
    Notes are not public information. You do not have to show your opponent notes that you take during the match.

This is currently only in policy, but it's supposedly going to make it into the Universal Tournament Rules at some point.
    I've had two judges rule incorrectly then. Since this is not in the rules, what do you do when a judge rules that the notes you take must be public?

Feb 2006
    Boston

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Army_Man View Post
    I've had two judges rule incorrectly then. Since this is not in the rules, what do you do when a judge rules that the notes you take must be public?
    Eat them very quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Lego_Army_Man View Post
    In a tournament, appeal the ruling. If the head judge rules that they're public, you're out of luck - the head judge's word goes, even if he's wrong in this instance.

After the match nicely approach him and ask him to ask a higher-level judge or look it up on the judge mailing list.

If notes being private is important to you for some reason, it wouldn't hurt to approach the head judge before the tournament begins.
    “It's possible. But it involves... {checks archives} Nature's Revolt, Opalescence, two Unstable Shapeshifters (one of which started as a Doppelganger), a Tide, an animated land, a creature with Fading, a Silver Wyvern, some way to get a creature into play in response to stuff, some way to get a land into play in response to stuff (a different land from the animated land), and one heck of a Rube Goldberg timing diagram.
    -David DeLaney

is selling his Underground Seas.
    May 2006
    Birmingham, AL

Quote Originally Posted by Jaynel View Post
    Eat them very quickly.
    The notes or the judges?

Quote Originally Posted by majikal View Post
    Damn it, Taco, that exactly sums up my opinion on the matter. I need to buy you a beer for that post.

Feb 2006
    Boston

Judges tend to be a bit stringy. I'd go with the notes.

Site Contributor
    Dec 2004
    Jamaica Plain, MA

Quote Originally Posted by Akki View Post
    If notes being private is important to you for some reason, it wouldn't hurt to approach the head judge before the tournament begins.
    They're not. I don't even remember why this was relevant. Probably SDT.

Painter's Servant
    Aug 2007

All of that is really good to know. I could see myself bringing paper to keep score that had outside writing on it not even knowing that was illegal. Even bringing the same sheet of paper from a previous round.

edit: I posted a another stack question here, but it was just a bunch of fucking incoherent ramblings. I'll figure it out.
    Last edited by Versus; 11-20-2007 at 03:44 PM.
    In painting, you have unlimited power. You have the ability to move mountains. You can bend rivers.

Thread Information