Page 486 of 533 FirstFirst ... 386436476482483484485486487488489490496 ... LastLast
Results 9,701 to 9,720 of 10645

Thread: [Deck] Death and Taxes

Re: [DTB] Death and Taxes

@non-inflammable

I went 2-3 when I streamed, but all of my losses were quite close. The list felt solid. I should have run Sheft Dunes (the desert you can sac to pump your team) since it's an upgrade over the old painlands, but otherwise it felt fine. It's possible I do need some sort of disenchant effect though.

Quote Originally Posted by Medea_ View Post
    @non-inflammable

I went 2-3 when I streamed, but all of my losses were quite close. The list felt solid. I should have run Sheft Dunes (the desert you can sac to pump your team) since it's an upgrade over the old painlands, but otherwise it felt fine. It's possible I do need some sort of disenchant effect though.
    what list did you run?

I’ve been running a lot of elves, and keep seeing people leaving Thalia in postboard. Why?

Quote Originally Posted by WashableWater1 View Post
    I’ve been running a lot of elves, and keep seeing people leaving Thalia in postboard. Why?
    Thalia comes out. I boarded it out when I played you.

Thalia comes out post-board vs Elves 100% unless you have nothing to bring in for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Irvin View Post
    what list did you run?

4 Thalia, Guardian of Thraben
    4 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    4 Vryn Wingmare
    4 Eldrazi Displacer
    4 Thought-Knot Seer
    3 Reality Smasher
    2 Palace Jailer
    4 Chalice of the Void
    2 Umezawa’s Jitte
    4 Lotus Petal
    4 Cavern of Souls
    4 Ancient Tomb
    4 Eldrazi Temple
    4 Adarkar Wastes
    2 Plains
    2 Snow-Covered Plains
    4 Wasteland
    1 Karakas

3 Thorn of Amethyst
    2 Holy Light
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Faerie Macabre
    2 Armageddon

Edit: For those of you following my red prison content, I pushed out an article this morning.
    Last edited by Medea_; 05-31-2018 at 09:48 AM.

Jun 2015
    NYC

Quote Originally Posted by WashableWater1 View Post
    Most players are bad.

Went 4-0 last night at FNM, won all 4 matches 2-0. Got really lucky on the match ups. OmniSneak running a Burning Wish package, Uw Miracles, UW Miracles, and BUG Midrange, that was running DD combo.

Quote Originally Posted by jwl3gg View Post
    Went 4-0 last night at FNM, won all 4 matches 2-0. Got really lucky on the match ups. OmniSneak running a Burning Wish package, Uw Miracles, UW Miracles, and BUG Midrange, that was running DD combo.
    What is ur main strategy to beat miracles? I am having a big issues to beat them.

Quote Originally Posted by fluuu View Post
    What is ur main strategy to beat miracles? I am having a big issues to beat them.
    Aggro and luck. Managed to survive Entreat the angels for 6 in the 2nd match up. Flickerwisp and Gideon Ally of Zendikar are beasts.

May 2018
    Seattle, WA

Just finished up the Legacy 1k at Seattle's Mox Boarding house. I top 8'd and one of my matches was streamed against Maverick. Check it out, im still fairly new to D&T but I feel like I am learning the ropes fairly quickly.

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/268604395

at 3:47:00

Force of Will is my bitch
    Sep 2004
    South Florida

Damn, your game 3 was fun to watch. He lands Jitte on turn two. The same Jitte is on the table at the end of the game, some 20 turns later. Total number of counters:0.
    I could not tell if you were intentionally baiting him to attack into a tapped out side, but I wanted to see him go at you only to see you Karakas Thalia and Vial her back out to block with first strike, depriving him of counters yet again. She pulled a lot of weight in that game. I love the card. I love how it fucks with the opponent's plans. Good games on your part.
    "Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job."
    "Politicians are like diapers. They should be changed often and for the same reason."
    "Governing is too important to be left to people as silly as politicians."
    "Politicians were mostly people who'd had too little morals and ethics to stay lawyers."

Quote Originally Posted by joxmar View Post
    Just finished up the Legacy 1k at Seattle's Mox Boarding house. I top 8'd and one of my matches was streamed against Maverick. Check it out, im still fairly new to D&T but I feel like I am learning the ropes fairly quickly.

Bout to hit the sack, will watch in the morning. Congrats in the mean time!

May 2018
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Finn View Post
    Damn, your game 3 was fun to watch. He lands Jitte on turn two. The same Jitte is on the table at the end of the game, some 20 turns later. Total number of counters:0.
    I could not tell if you were intentionally baiting him to attack into a tapped out side, but I wanted to see him go at you only to see you Karakas Thalia and Vial her back out to block with first strike, depriving him of counters yet again. She pulled a lot of weight in that game. I love the card. I love how it fucks with the opponent's plans. Good games on your part.
    Thanks! I had been running the Shalai build for a bit, and she felt too clunnky at times... tested out big T recently and she just felt good.

I was definitely baiting him, had another Big T in hand, so I was thinking of Vialing her in while still holding up Karakas. Jitte ends me if it connects. So I held those Flickerwisp as long as I could, hoping the crack backs would be enough. It got me there.
    Last edited by joxmar; 06-03-2018 at 12:20 PM.

Is your list posted somewhere? If not, could you please share it?

May 2018
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Secretly.A.Bee View Post
    Is your list posted somewhere? If not, could you please share it?
    Creatures:26
    4 Mother of Runes
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Serra Avenger
    4 Stoneforge Mystic
    4 Flickerwisp
    2 Mirran Crusader
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar

Spells:11
    4 Aether Vial
    4 Swords to Plowshares
    1 Umezawa's Jitte
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Batterskull

Lands:23
    3 Karakas
    12 Plains
    4 Rishadan Port
    4 Wasteland

Sideboard:15
    2 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    1 Sanctum Prelate
    2 Path to Exile
    2 Surgical Extraction
    2 Rest in Peace
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    2 Cataclysm

Match 1: Epic Storm, Won 2-1
    Game 1 on the play: Hand has vial mom sfm. He goes off turn 3.
    Game 2: Hand has RIP, Vial. He cabal therapies me me T1 for TGoT and misses. I draw TGoT. Lock the game up.
    Game 3: He mulls 6. I mull to 5 with TGoT + Rip. He Pushes Thalia. I draw Canonist. He attempts to go off by chain vaporing Canonist and is 1 mana short of Tendrils. I waste him and lock him up from there.

Match 2: Czech Pile, Won 2-0
    Game 1 on the Play: Vial + Serra + SFM + SoFI in hand. He K Commands Bskull (had a feeling that was coming), so i follow with sofi and equip Serra. Game over.
    Game 2: Vial Karakas Rip Thalia hand. Draw Big T and she just does work by slowing him down with tapped lands with fetches coming in tapped and the fetched land tapped. Aggro him out.

Match 3: Burn, Won 2-1
    Game 1 on the draw: I keep a fair hand with no vial. He leads with T1 Guide, T2 Eidolon (and he remembers every trigger).... I get burned.
    Game 2: Vial Serra Port hand. Draw Prelate and put it on 1. Drop a Thalia.. lock him out.
    Game 3: Vial Mom Recruiter hand. Draw Thalia. Active mom off Vial holds down the fort. Recruit SFM and attach SoWP to SFM.

Match 4: Czech Pile, Draw 1-1
    Game 1 on the Play: I punted ridiculously hard in this game... I had him at 6 with Crusader + Vial on 3 on board with Jitte + Big T in Hand. He had 1 fetch up. I tunnel visioned for the kill and attempted to cast equip Jitte to Crusader instead of vialing in Big T first... he bolted my Crusader and stole the game from me.
    Game 2: Grindy long game... ended him Toxic Deluging the board for 6, since i have Batterskull equipped to SFM, and then casts Leovold after Deluge. I vial in a creature end step, play karakas, bounce leovold, and equip Batterskull to creature for lethal. Only seconds left on time, we dont start Game 3.

Match 5: Maverick, Won 2-1
    https://www.twitch.tv/videos/268604395 at 3:47:00

Match 6: We take the Draw for Top 8.

Match 7: Sultai Delver, Lost 2-1
    Match 1: I answer his Delvers. I get TGoT and Serra out and they poke away. He gets a Tombstalker out. Top Deck a flicker wisp to wisp away the Tombstalker and deal lethal.
    Match 2: Abrupt Decay, LotV, Tarmogoyf are good cards
    Match 3: Tombstalker + Tarmogoyf x2 + Abrupt Decay + LoTV is hard

Congrats on your tournament result.

And very clean play on your feature match. I was a little surprised to see THC after side, but I guess that even in the Karakas matchups she still wins so much tempo that's it's worth it. And your plays game 3 indeed proved that point.

How did she felt in the other matchups? Maybe it's time to give her a chance again

May 2018
    Seattle, WA

Quote Originally Posted by Mannaus View Post
    Congrats on your tournament result.

And very clean play on your feature match. I was a little surprised to see THC after side, but I guess that even in the Karakas matchups she still wins so much tempo that's it's worth it. And your plays game 3 indeed proved that point.

How did she felt in the other matchups? Maybe it's time to give her a chance again
    To me, feels like THC pulls her weight. Having another first striker with tempo changing capabilities is real nice. I know a lot of people haven't been too hot on THC, but whenever I play her she can pull me back into or seal some games.

Against my first Czech Pile match, THC slowed my opponent enough to not able to K Command me in game 2. He told me after the match it felt like a Time Walk.

4-2 at a 50 player tournament today (T8 was 4-1-1+ locked in). Decided to stick with B/W, but do something fancy and put in a Chains of Mephistopheles. Sadly, I only faced match-ups where that card is shit. To keep enough black for that and pontiff, I chose to play fetches instead of caverns - back to basics is a beating. Going up to 5 plains is very appealing, but you really want to be able to cast pontiff whenever you want. Its impact is so huge and important, in particular against grixis delver, and you can often not afford to fetch a dual early because you want to manifest white mana first. On the other hand, fetches make the moon stompy match-up much more play/draw reliant - although you do get splash benefits from most players expecting moon effects to be poor against D&T. This affects both their sb and their play sequencing decisions.

Before the tournament, I also considered switching to R/W, because I expected a lot of Marit Lage, pile and miracles. The power of pontiff against grixis, mirror and steel stompy, as well as the fear of true-name kept me on the black splash, which I don't regret. I do regret punting that game against dredge though, but, in my defense, it was so damn hot there in the feature area I felt like I was going to pass out. Losing to UR delver is more or less expected: being burn with benefits against us, it's just a bad match-up.

R1: Steel stompy 2-0.
    Game 1, he starts with inventor's fair, petal, mox, vault skirge, thorn of amethyst. I waste his land and he fails to find a second land for a few turns. I can attack his manabase long enough to get jitte online.
    Game 2, I mull to 5, but I have revoker for ballista in my 5 and Pontiff 3-for-1's him (2 skirge and 1 ballista) and he can't really get back from that.

R2: Moon stompy 2-0.
    Game 1, I can fetch a plains before he blood suns me, after which I cast Thalia and he gets stuck on 3 mana. He wished for fiery confluence, but never got to the mana to cast it.
    Game 2, I keep a hand that is awesome if he doesn't moon or, worse, sun turn 1 (i.e. double fetch and vial). He only gets to moon turn 2 after a mull and I can fetch into vial and take over the game from there. He didn't want to cast fiery confluence before I had vial on 3, because that would only take stoneforge and vial, while I still got a sword of fire and ice I could SFM in response. But the following turn, I can wisp to ensure the sword survives and it wins me the game.

R3: Dredge 0-1-1. (On camera: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/268828100 2:35-ish)
    Game 1, he has a ridiculously fast start through turn 1 imp into petal for double dredged looting. However, he fails to find any bridges, nor in the following turns either. He flashbacks 4 therapy's without any bridge trigger, decimating my hand, but through vial and a double stoneforge, I manage to get batterskull in play nevertheless. I threw jitte in for therapy bait, which might be wrong, but I didn't really expect to get sufficient time for jitte to become online before I was aggro'd to death. The turn after he lands a bunch of bridges, I plan to bounce batterskull in his draw step, but I forgot it was equipped with Sword of Fire and Ice, keeping germ from dying on bounce. The next turn or so he attacks for 42, which is exactly enough to kill me. I could have won with mother and the skull next turn - if the mother survived.
    Game 2, he therapy's my RIP away and draws half his deck with looting, 2 breakthroughs and 1 or 2 coliseums, but finds not a single dredger. The turn before I would kill him, he dread returns Elesh Norn to eat my board. I draw three lands for my three turns of time. I might have won if I had not plowed in response of therapy (which he pre-emptively named plow with) and attacked with everything the next turn, which would have forced him to block so not to die, which would remove all his bridges. But he might have gone for the Elesh play then anyway.

R4: Moon stompy 2-1. (On camera: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/268828100 3:40-ish)
    Game 1, he gets an early rabblemaster I can't really answer and he can then protect with ensnaring bridge. Double rabblemasters continue to assemble tokens, while Karn also spawns a bunch. He empties his hand each time so as not to have to attack into skull. I plan to use judge's familiar with jitte to steal the game after he plays a Sin Prodder, which could fill up his hand, but he finds a fiery confluence for it and I scoop.
    Game 2, I don't remember much, but it revolved around stoneforge, flyers and batterskull. I kept a bunch of answers in hand for eventual threats and sneaked a vial through chalice, but none of those really mattered.
    Game 3, I have a hand with double mom and plow, in the face of a chalice. I use LRW on chalice and consider wisping it afterwards to ward his mox as well, while his chalice neuters future moxen, but decide to keep the wisp for a possible bridge or other value play as he had 3 lands already. One mom dies to a sulfur elemental, which then gets plowed. The other sticks. With active mom in play, I cast prelate on 4 and he scoops a turn later revealing 5 or 6 4-drops.

R5: UR delver 1-2
    Game 1, I cast 3 thalia and 2 SFM while I'm stuck on 3 mana. The second SFM fails to find because all my equipment is in my hand already, but all the previous creatures grinded out his removal so my equipment amalgam manages to just steal the game.
    Game 2 and 3, I die to the burn combination of too many bolts, smash to smithereens on vial and sulfuric vortex which I can never answer before it deals 2 damage anyway. Game 3, he smacked me for 8 turn 2 with a swiftspear pumped by a ponder, 2 probes and a chain lightning.

R6: Big eldrazi 2-0
    Game 1, I have 2 wastelands, a port and a plow for his endbringer. The turn he draws all is dust, I have too many equipment and a revoker out for it to matter much.
    Game 2, he goes tomb, monolith, trinisphere turn 1. I can port turn 2 and council a thran dynamo turn 3 (offering a karakas to legendary rule as I'm mana screwed with three vials in hand), while he takes a ton of damage from two tombs trying to assemble some mana. Endbringer gets send on a path into exile and, very low on life, he is forced to take another 4 damage to all is dust my lone avenger. I have double wisp to follow up and he scoops.

List:

23 LANDS
    2 Windswept Heath
    4 Flooded Strand
    3 Karakas
    4 Plains
    4 Rishadan Port
    2 Scrubland
    4 Wasteland

27 CREATURES
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    4 Flickerwisp
    1 Judge's Familiar
    2 Mirran Crusader
    3 Mother of Runes
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    2 Phyrexian Revoker
    2 Recruiter of the Guard
    1 Sanctum Prelate

2 Serra Avenger
    4 Stoneforge Mystic

4 INSTANTS and SORC.

4 Swords to Plowshares

7 OTHER SPELLS

4 Aether Vial
    1 Batterskull
    1 Sword of Fire and Ice
    1 Umezawa's Jitte

SIDEBOARD

1 Blessed Alliance
    2 Council's Judgment
    1 Ethersworn Canonist
    1 Sword of War and Peace
    2 Thalia, Heretic Cathar
    1 Leonin Relic-Warder
    1 Orzhov Pontiff
    2 Path to Exile
    1 Pithing Needle
    2 Rest in Peace
    1 Chains of Mephistopheles

Quote Originally Posted by joxmar View Post

Awesome job man! But, ugh. The commentators were terrible and you opponent was slow!

Okay folks,

For those of you going to SCGcon, we'll be having an informal D&T meetup on Friday after the conclusion of the 3:00 Legacy Challenge. This event is four rounds, so it will probably wrap up somewhere between 7:00 and 7:30. We're going to meet at the SCG Prize Wall and then relocate to some empty tables to shoot the bull about D&T. It's very likely that we will relocate for dinner, but I'm not going to solidify plans for that until I know how many people are interested. I'll push out notifications about where we've moved to and such on my Twitter, so feel free to check that for updates or if you can't find us! https://twitter.com/MangaraLock

-Phil Gallagher

Thread Information